Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 11th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250R

Gear lever fell off, (questions/concerns) help please

Hey guys,
So I was on the highway today and as I get off and attempt to downshift I notice my gear lever is missing, confirming that it was still hanging attached to the pivoting arm I realize it's the bolt holding the clutch lever in place that I had lost someeheres. I have jimmied another gear lever bolt together with an 8 mm bolt some washers and electrical tape to be snug fitting within the gear lever hole that isn't the hole with the threading. I ended up having to get it going in 5th gear from a standstill 3 times before I finally put it into first manually and drove it the rest of the way home. It sounds like it's making a bit of a rougher sound now from 3rd gear onward which sortof scares me.. it's not the transmission going is it..? The bike only has 10k kms on it and wasn't drive hard at all by the previous two owners. Does anyone know what the noise would be or why it's soundimg like that now? Im not driving it at the moment because of that noise. Can someone please help me..?
Ninjam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2016, 05:43 AM   #2
Mr Moder
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mr

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Honda fury

Ok I just have to know how hard was it to get that bike moving in high gear from a stand still?
Mr Moder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2016, 07:18 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I guess I would get the shifter adjusted and tightened down properly then put the bike up on a rear stand so you can put it in gear and listen to the transmission.

Having the shifter fall off shouldn't have done any damage to the transmission though. Check the splines on the shifter shaft on the engine and the shifter. Also check the threads on the shifter to make sure they are not stripped.

Starting in 5th gear would be hard on the clutch, but not necessarily the transmission.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

It actually wasn't that bad at all compared to say starting say in third.. Lol bike didn't even stall once and she just took a bit to get up to speed once I had finally released the clutch but it did sputter a couple of times once the clutch was out.

Old July 12th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #5
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Have you replaced the Jury-rig bolt with the OEM yet?

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #6
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I guess I would get the shifter adjusted and tightened down properly then put the bike up on a rear stand so you can put it in gear and listen to the transmission.

Having the shifter fall off shouldn't have done any damage to the transmission though. Check the splines on the shifter shaft on the engine and the shifter. Also check the threads on the shifter to make sure they are not stripped.

Starting in 5th gear would be hard on the clutch, but not necessarily the transmission.
Hey man thanks for the reply, yeah That's the first thing I did was get the shifter back on and make sure it was the right amount of tightness. The threads for the bolt to go in are still good as well, but I had noticed last night when I was looking around seeing if I could figure out what it was there was quite a bit of gunk buildup on the pieces attaching into the engine from the gear spline going to the pedal lever. I cleaned it all out and let her sit for about 8 hours then tried her around the block and it doesn't seem to be making any weird noises now like it was or that I can tell. And the sound I believe was sortof like a buzzing changing the pitch of the bike I'm higher rev to a higher pitch. Really appreciate your help though friend.

Old July 12th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

No I haven't, are you thinking that could be the noise? I had taken the bolt out again last night and ended up putting some lithium grease on the electrical tape to have a bit of lube for the gear shifter. It seemed like the pedal last time had a bit of wiggle room but this time none with the grease and I don't believe I'm hearing the sound anymore now:s

Old July 12th, 2016, 08:45 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
You bet.

Sounds like it's all good then. Maybe keep an eye on the pinch-bolt on the shifter. If it wants to loosen you could add some blue loctite n the threads or a star washer under the head of the bolt to secure it.

Not sure how familiar you are with the Ninjas, but keep and eye on the oil level. They do lose some oil into the airbox, especially when running at high revs in hot weather. Running the level low can make shifting rougher, as can running the wrong oil or just running the oil too long.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

Let's hope so, but definitel what I'm gonna do till I get an OEM one for it again. Not sure if I have any locktite on hand but if it ends up loosening Il put some on forsure.y yeah I'm still learning as I go but the oil did come to mind too last night so I did check the gauge. Put the like level not on the kickstand and the oil seemed pretty close to full but it's really dark almost black so thinking it's time for an oil change.