ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old March 4th, 2018, 02:36 PM   #1
BlueNinjaF18
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Spilled my 250

I purchased a 2004 250r about a week ago, and managed to lay it down on loose gravel doing about twenty miles per hour. Now in addition to the other repairs, it's leaking oil. Anyone else ever experienced this?
BlueNinjaF18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm sure you're not alone. Clean the oil off well, and then look carefully to see where it's coming out.

Welcome Mike, it's good to meet you!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2018, 05:59 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and welcome !

We've all done that! My first spill was getting out of previous owner's steep driveway after buying my first bike!

Yeah clean if off really well so you can eat off it. The look around really closely when idling it to see where the oil is coming out. Inspect every inch of every gasket from the bottom up.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2018, 11:00 AM   #4
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome to the board! Sorry you spilled her, but hopefully you'll be able to find and repair that oil leak.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2018, 03:43 PM   #5
BlueNinjaF18
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input guys. I discovered that it wasn't oil that it's leaking, but rather coolant from that line going underneath the Stator to the water pump.

As for my accident, I'm still afraid to get back on it, as I panicked both times and gave it way too much gas, sending me off into history.

Old March 8th, 2018, 06:36 PM   #6
CaliGrrl

Practice in a parking lot, or some other kind of open space where you can go as slow as you want to and not worry about being run over by traffic. No stress, you know? Find the spot the clutch starts to grab, and get a feel for the gas.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 9th, 2018, 08:30 PM   #7
BlueNinjaF18
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Practice in a parking lot, or some other kind of open space where you can go as slow as you want to and not worry about being run over by traffic. No stress, you know? Find the spot the clutch starts to grab, and get a feel for the gas.
Awesome! Thanks for the input. I ordered a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough as well to study in the meantime.

Old March 10th, 2018, 02:56 PM   #8
CaliGrrl

Riding a bike is fantastic and fun, but you do need to have some confidence in your skills. So build them in a situation that has low stress. You might also look for a skills class in your area- they help a lot to build both skills and confidence. I've taken both the "learn to ride" class and one that was for established riders.

Old March 10th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #9
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Yes, nothing beats hands-on practice. When my wife started, she got a set of cones and did parking-lot practice at local college about 2-3x a week. At first, it was just simple 4-corner squares, then 2-cone rectangles, then figure-8s, etc.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old March 10th, 2018, 04:10 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNinjaF18 View Post
As for my accident, I'm still afraid to get back on it, as I panicked both times and gave it way too much gas, sending me off into history.
Well, don't give up! At least you've learned to avoid gravel.

It may seem counterintuitive, but a lot of beginner slow down too much. What happens is they tend to cut into corners too early and too tight, then they slow down too much and start tipping over. Then they panic and give it too much gas too suddenly trying to recover. The problem isn't that you gave it too much throttle, that's just result of and side-effect of slowing down too much.

Practice doing wide sweeping turns in parking lots. Do 50-ft rings around a cone. Do 50-ft rings around 4-cones. Note that by tying all 4 90-degree corners into one big loop, you don't have to slow down for each one?

New concept call "maintenance throttle" came about. Don't complete!y let off throttle in corner, you need some throttle on to keep speed steady in corner because cornering naturally scrubs off speed.

Old March 10th, 2018, 08:20 PM   #11
BlueNinjaF18
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Well, don't give up! At least you've learned to avoid gravel.

It may seem counterintuitive, but a lot of beginner slow down too much. What happens is they tend to cut into corners too early and too tight, then they slow down too much and start tipping over. Then they panic and give it too much gas too suddenly trying to recover. The problem isn't that you gave it too much throttle, that's just result of and side-effect of slowing down too much.

Practice doing wide sweeping turns in parking lots. Do 50-ft rings around a cone. Do 50-ft rings around 4-cones. Note that by tying all 4 90-degree corners into one big loop, you don't have to slow down for each one?

New concept call "maintenance throttle" came about. Don't complete!y let off throttle in corner, you need some throttle on to keep speed steady in corner because cornering naturally scrubs off speed.
Hey I really appreciate this! I didn't know that until you posted this. Thanks.

Old March 10th, 2018, 08:22 PM   #12
BlueNinjaF18
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes, nothing beats hands-on practice. When my wife started, she got a set of cones and did parking-lot practice at local college about 2-3x a week. At first, it was just simple 4-corner squares, then 2-cone rectangles, then figure-8s, etc.

Thanks for the tip and sharing the vid, I really appreciate it!

Old March 10th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNinjaF18 View Post
Thanks for the tip and sharing the vid, I really appreciate it!
You're welcome! Don't even need that structured of training. Just find empty lot and do loops. Public properties like colleges have largr empty lots and don't chase you away. Good luck and have fun!

Old March 27th, 2018, 05:36 AM   #14
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

Poor fella!! Nothing more depressing than your new toy going splat. Still though, I've ever owned anything with two wheels that didn't eventually end up on its side. Such is the nature of the beast welcome to heaven population YOU / MOTORCYCLING.

Old March 27th, 2018, 09:27 AM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
CLUTCH!!!!!!

First range exercise in the MSF course is walking the bike across the parking lot, slipping the clutch so you find the friction zone.

Learn how the clutch interacts with the throttle. Leaving the clutch out (or dumping it) while grabbing a handful of throttle leads to bad things.... but then you know that now.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2018, 02:26 PM   #16
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

Quote:

YES!!! I LOVE this low-speed technical stuff! I got 100% on the safety course just because I enjoyed it so much ironically that low-speed skill for creeping like a champ has served me so well in so many situations. Oh I'm stuck behind a row of cars that can't move but look at all that space right there I could just... Yeah EFF it I'm going for it... Peace suckers.