Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I'm on a jet ski..Ur on a battleship...WTF

Long story short is that I wound up going out with a Gold Wing guy yesterday. On this board, I suppose y’all guess you know what’s coming.
So did I when we started out.
Cruising the 120+ miles to the mountains was no surprise. I knew where we were going so he…and his passenger let me lead. Though, I have to admit I was kinda wondering why he was still in my rearview on the cloverleafs. A few hours later when we got to God’s country…I asked if he was OK with some hard packed dirt. The bike was just a few weeks old and he did have a passenger sooo…up the foothills we went. There’s been a bit of a drought here so the hard packed was more like…red talcum powder. Now…I usually ride with sport tour guys and they bitch and moan about anything but a slab but this Goldie guy was way strange in that respect. I asked him again about the dirt, dust and little peebles when we stopped and he simply said he bought the bike to ride it and wasn’t worried. Never heard that before.
Crossed the mountain top, made it down to the best roads NY had to offer:
Route 30 around the reservoirs. Mile and miles of twisties, sweepers and short straights….roads that I suspect Kawasaki commissioned when they made the new gens but foregot to tell anyone about. Rarely any traffic, no enforcement and in perfect paved pristine condition. I already knew that he wouldn’t be afraid to ride the bike so I picked up the pace. Stayed with me on the first S….stayed with me on the first U. Now…I’m no expert but….this guy was riding a ship…and I’m on a jet ski….how’s he doing this? And more…I was a bit familiar with the route!!! He’d not been on it before! We approached the sweeper- U that I live for. It follows a cove in the reservoir…maybe ¼ mile deep an 1/8 mile across and for this one, move your hiney to the left and point you knee down a little.
Half way thru, sure he was gone I checked the rearview and saw this giant red beast of a bike…and it’s passengers smiling…they were that close.
It was like seeing a three masted man ‘o war bearing down, full tilt with cannons pointed right at yer ass.
I was at once humbled and happy and wondering if he was going to kiss my license plate. The road got straight and we stopped for a sign.
I had to ask him, “hey Nick…y’know, with the wife and that dinosaur and it being new and all, how’d you do that turn “?
He says “we’ll I saw you move over so I knew it was special”.
Okaaay.
Now, as said, I don’t pretend to be fast but, kinda always thought that a fweekin’ gold wiiiing …., c’mon. How’s a wing gonna follow a ‘jette on any kind of fun road ? Right ?
I suppose the answer is that if the wing rider thinks and acts like a ‘jette rider they’ll do it. It’s not what we got between our legs, it’s what we’re willing to try with it.
Attached is a pic of a guy who I’d ride with anytime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4134CMYK copysmall.jpg (122.3 KB, 80 views)
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

My MSF instructor had like 3 Goldwings. Brought a different one each day. Those things are huge, I don't know how people ride them lol.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM   #3
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

It always takes a rider that makes a bike go fast, not the other way around.

Does his Goldwing have a car tire mounted on the rear wheel?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
eddiekay

stock tire as far as I know. He just got it.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

'Wings are remarkably stable in twisties. They may scrape some floorboards, but they do corner.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
eddiekay

Yeah...so I've seen on their stability. I've always been intimidated by anything heavy....."back in the day"....maybe '67 or '68 there was a "No Helmet" rally in NYC,,,everybody on 2 wheels showed up. In slow motion, on a rainy 5th Avenue, I saw a guy lock the front wheel on a brand new pure gold Glide. In slo-mo...the bike hit the ground, broke his winshield and after he kicked the bike...he couldnt pick it up. His girlfriend tried to help...couldnt pick it up. Finally...about 3 hells Angels came over and lifted the bike up for him. Me...on my CB160...knew at that moment...never get anything you cant lift. I never did.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM   #7
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

My MSF instructor rode an old, converted police cruiser from antiquity. That thing was a monstrosity (easily comparable to the gold wings) but he slapped it inside the box (scraping floorboards) like it was nothing and did I mention the dude had a beer belly the size of Russia? Yeah, after seeing that, I knew never to underestimate cruisers.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #8
ClutchChick
ninjette.org member

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): Honda CB250 Nighthawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
“hey Nick…y’know, with the wife and that dinosaur and it being new and all, how’d you do that turn “?
Let me introduce you to Yellow Wolf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Does his Goldwing have a car tire mounted on the rear wheel?
My step father has a beast of a 'Wing, and he just had one of those installed. The guys at the shop have some slang term for it... can't think of it now.
ClutchChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM   #9
eddiekay

Incredible.....I heard scraping sopunds...wonder if the chse bike was a wing too

Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #10
eddiekay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJxOsYh12yY
Had to taach this oldie.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Incredible.....I heard scraping sopunds...wonder if the chse bike was a wing too
Vid description says it was...

Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM   #12
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchChick View Post
My step father has a beast of a 'Wing, and he just had one of those installed. The guys at the shop have some slang term for it... can't think of it now.
It's called "darkside", mounting a car tire on the rear wheel of a 2-wheel vehicle.

Link to original page on YouTube.

You can hear the pegs/floorbord scrapping in video below, too:

Quote:
Yeah...so I've seen on their stability. I've always been intimidated by anything heavy....."back in the day"....maybe '67 or '68 there was a "No Helmet" rally in NYC,,,everybody on 2 wheels showed up. In slow motion, on a rainy 5th Avenue, I saw a guy lock the front wheel on a brand new pure gold Glide. In slo-mo...the bike hit the ground, broke his winshield and after he kicked the bike...he couldnt pick it up. His girlfriend tried to help...couldnt pick it up. Finally...about 3 hells Angels came over and lifted the bike up for him. Me...on my CB160...knew at that moment...never get anything you cant lift. I never did.
About picking up a heavy bike like Goldwing, just about any rider should be able to do it with proper technique:

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM   #13
eddiekay

Learn something every day. That's what I like about this board.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Guess you need to push your limits a bit more on the 250 huh?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:41 PM   #15
eddiekay

Sean...I've prob been on bikes since before you were a gleam in your father's eyes : ) I stopped pushing my limits when i realized i had none.
Good reply right ??
As for skillz....personally, just me...I ALWAYS look forward to any ride, I ALWAYS have a good ride and I ALWAYS start mapping the next ride when I get back. Honest to God....how many people are so lucky, how many skilled riders can honestly say that ?

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Probably all the ones that commute on their bikes, unless you don't consider that a 'ride'.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM   #17
s1akr
ninjette.org member

Name: Lazy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R - Green

My MSF instructor had a wing as well. He did all the examples on it and made them look easy. It was very impressive.
s1akr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM   #18
eddiekay

The commuters have it good. I;'m in a biz that demands a pickup truck so I have to use it every day. Any ride is a ride as far as i care. I used to commute into manahattan every day and loved it. Never got to go more than 15mph and destroyed my mirrors clipping the mirrors on cars but every moring I had something to look forward to. Man, I envy commuters.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Sean...I've prob been on bikes since before you were a gleam in your father's eyes : ) I stopped pushing my limits when i realized i had none.
Good reply right ??
As for skillz....personally, just me...I ALWAYS look forward to any ride, I ALWAYS have a good ride and I ALWAYS start mapping the next ride when I get back. Honest to God....how many people are so lucky, how many skilled riders can honestly say that ?
Well I probably see riding in a different light than you, I'm very competitive. I remember riding up some awesome twisties on Mt. Hamilton with Brian, we get up there and see cruisers sportbikes and goldwings. And Brian says to me, Everyone here would totally own us on these twisties. We are on Ninja 250s which are superior to most other bikes on these roads, but we have such little experience compared to these guys on cruisers that they could totally rape us. If I had gone on the ride that you did, and a Goldwing was able to keep up, I'd know I definitely need to push my riding abilities. I want to be the best I can be at everything I do. I want to be able to carve through the twisties faster than anyone else.

I'm just going to guess that you aren't as competitive as I am and really just like enjoying the ride more than pushing yourself to the extremes. A lot of people on this forum talk about how superior the 250 is in cornering and all that jazz, but if a goldwing can keep up, is the 250 really all that superior?
AFM #676

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Well I probably see riding in a different light than you, I'm very competitive. I remember riding up some awesome twisties on Mt. Hamilton with Brian, we get up there and see cruisers sportbikes and goldwings. And Brian says to me, Everyone here would totally own us on these twisties. We are on Ninja 250s which are superior to most other bikes on these roads, but we have such little experience compared to these guys on cruisers that they could totally rape us. If I had gone on the ride that you did, and a Goldwing was able to keep up, I'd know I definitely need to push my riding abilities. I want to be the best I can be at everything I do. I want to be able to carve through the twisties faster than anyone else.

I'm just going to guess that you aren't as competitive as I am and really just like enjoying the ride more than pushing yourself to the extremes. A lot of people on this forum talk about how superior the 250 is in cornering and all that jazz, but if a goldwing can keep up, is the 250 really all that superior?
not flaming but your mentality is that of a person who will crash over and over again and never learn, youth isso refreshing. There are goldwing riders on the gap that would destroy a liter sportbike on the gap I saw a few of them there they are amazing riders.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:52 PM   #21
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

There are also liter bike riders on the Gap that would destroy... well.. anything. I've seen them.

Most every bike is a good bike. Most every bike is comparable at a place like the Gap. It is all personal preference for the most part.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM   #22
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
There are also liter bike riders on the Gap that would destroy... well.. anything. I've seen them.

Most every bike is a good bike. Most every bike is comparable at a place like the Gap. It is all personal preference for the most part.
not my point its the rider not the bike especially at the gap with reduced speed its more skill.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:56 PM   #23
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Agreed
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #24
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
not flaming but your mentality is that of a person who will crash over and over again and never learn, youth isso refreshing. There are goldwing riders on the gap that would destroy a liter sportbike on the gap I saw a few of them there they are amazing riders.
That's why I have crashed so many times in the twisties

The mentality of getting better and becoming the best you can possibly be is bad huh? Good luck with life
AFM #676

Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #25
eddiekay

Wanting to get thru the canyons faster than anybody else is a good thing. And maybe you're the next superbike champ...y'know, just maybe you are. Still...the bike has more to offer than most people ever take advantage of.
In fact...we oughta start a thread/// In 5 words or less...what does your ninjette give you...
You might say
Speed
The chance to be best
me...I'd say
travelling the universe ( ex-hippie)
the smell of fresh horseshit
dogs chasing me
If I see you on SPEED or ESPN...I'll wave.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
If I see you on SPEED or ESPN...I'll wave.
Haha that's definitely not my goal. I just strive to be great, scrub off chicken strips, work on lean angle, hanging off the bike, braking like a champ, clutchless shifting, and so on and so on. I'm sad I will no longer have my 250 as I feel its perfect for learning these aspects of riding. When I can get back on my bikes and I get my new Ninja 1000, I will likely be laying off some of the more technical aspects of riding like I just described. I'll probably use my 650 as my twistie bike and work on the stuff I described above, but honestly the 250 just feels so much better for it. I'll get another 250 again one day and work on being the best I can be again, till then, I'll have my 650 and Ninja 1000, and up to a year until my leg is back to full strength (mixed emotions)
AFM #676

Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:21 PM   #27
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Quote:
The commuters have it good. I;'m in a biz that demands a pickup truck so I have to use it every day. Any ride is a ride as far as i care. I used to commute into manahattan every day and loved it. Never got to go more than 15mph and destroyed my mirrors clipping the mirrors on cars but every moring I had something to look forward to. Man, I envy commuters.
Yeah, I wouldn't trade my frozen hands and soaked balls for anything. ha.

No, really. The inherent sense of being alive and looking forward to the ride (to work, or home) is awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ride_home_1.jpg (114.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ride_home_2.jpg (121.6 KB, 2 views)
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:56 PM   #28
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Goldwing is amazingly nimble bike.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:53 AM   #29
s1akr
ninjette.org member

Name: Lazy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R - Green

Scrape...scrape....scrape

This guy is amazing! Maybe one day I'll feel comfortable enough on mine to be doing that.
s1akr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:07 AM   #30
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

After seeing this thread, I was thinking about joining the darkside, but I can't find any specific information about the 250R. What car tire in your opinion is the best for a newgen 250R?
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:25 AM   #31
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
The mentality of getting better and becoming the best you can possibly be is bad huh? Good luck with life
There is no becoming the best you can possibly be. It's an illusion. Each activity you do better will inevitably cause something else to suffer, so you just switch priorities from this to that, and overall you are pretty much going nowhere. Yes, i'm an idiot.

Anyway, let's be honest. Comparison between any motorcycles with different riders on a public road is far from objective.
Gold Wing has roughly double weight and triple power. Ground clearance of the stock ninjette is not spectacular at all. Probably just a bit better. Further, what Gold Wing looses with weight, it compensates with more expensive and better suspension, and more stability mid corner.
It probably goes like stink if someone is willing to push it.

The most important thing here is that two riders and one passanger had good fun, within the reasonable safety limits, and are willing to do something similar again.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:16 AM   #32
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I gotta give it to the good wing. I don't want one but they are the best at what they do. Great story also
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:44 AM   #33
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

that is pretty impressive that a goldwing can handle so well.
i can't wait til I feel more comfortable with my bike, but I guess that takes time and experience!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:55 AM   #34
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
It’s not what we got between our legs, it’s what we’re willing to try with it.
Is this an old saying? Because I love it and have never heard it before haha
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
goldwings are a special type of amazing.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM   #36
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Saxnbass and myself test road a goldwing over the weekend. You would be surprised at how easy it is to handle. It just looks big. Once you get going though the bike just wants to be ridden (and yes, in a dirty way, long and hard ). Eric was told that it handles like sport bike, but of course he was like "yah, uhuh, sure it does". Low and behold when he got done riding it he wanted one and was totally shocked that it did indeed handle like a sport bike. It's also super comfortable and something you could seriously ride from coast to coast and then some. It definitely has plenty of both get up and go power, and stopping power (be very careful applying the brakes on the goldwing till you get used to them lol).

Lesson to learn from all this is to never underestimate a bike, and never assume you know what they are like w/o trying them out.

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #37
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

A guy who took his ride test at the same time I did pretty well destroyed it on a goldwing. It is a big bike, but it is a nicely balanced bike. Another guy whose son was taking his test at the same time said his 70 year old dad doesn't hesitate to hit up the dragon with him. He said he had no problem keeping up, and might even be a little bit faster. He also said it's nice being able to just listen for floorboards instead of checking his mirrors
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #38
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
That's why I have crashed so many times in the twisties

ever think of a track bike? its an expensive route but healthier

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #39
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I have thought of it, but its not for me at this point in my life
AFM #676