ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old April 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

First Trackday at Streets of Willow!

Holy oh my god wow. I think that should about sum it up I'll apologize in advance for the long, overly excited jib jab that's about to follow:

So, I went out to the Streets of Willow with TrackDaz yesterday for my first ever track day. I had no idea what to expect. There was the Academy, which is what I was there for, and a B Group. We alternated using the track back and forth in about 25-30 minute sessions, so while B group was on track, we were in the classroom getting some tips on body position, reference points, and vision. I think we got maybe.... 7 sessions in? I was amazingly nervous to start, but by the second session I was having fun, and by the end of the day, I couldn't get enough.

The first four sessions were classroom drills for us and the last three were pretty much free practice. The first drills were body position and vision, then they had us use reference points for round three, and for the last drill, they had us purposely take really bad lines, so we knew what in too early felt like (The last one was amazingly uncomfortable >_<). As someone who was admittedly still a bit intimidated by the concept of it all, I think this class was the perfect intro to the track. The instructors were all great, really enthusiastic guys and I got a lot of personal feedback. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone in SoCal looking to make the jump from the streets to the track but has some reservations. I was pretty exhausted by the end of the day, but what an eye opener! I felt like I learned a ton in such a short amount of time. I really can't wait to go back ^_^

Anyways, I think I had the only ninjette there, but it really didn't bother me when the guys on liter bikes who knew what they were doing tore past me (safe passing was allowed). I got to totally pin the throttle on the straights though-which was awesome. I never knew my bike could scream like that! I met a really nice guy on a local forum who helped me load my bike at the end of the day, and he turned out to be one of the instructors. Interestingly enough, the guy at cycle gear who I bought my tie downs from also happened to be an instructor. Small world.

Jeezus, Tiff- shut up and show everyone the pictures and videos! Haha, this may be a lot, so you don't really need to watch it, but bear with me- I'm excited ^_^

First session- I was super stiff and slow and there were all sorts of butterflies in my stomach:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Third session- one of the instructors followed me for a few laps, then I followed him, and back and forth. Had a really wide "Oh S---!!!" moment on turn 3 Then he gave me some great feedback on how I could improve my lines and such:

And last session. They waved the checkered flag as I was starting a lap, so I had no choice but to do one more I ended up being the last one back:

It felt a lot faster than it looks. I got a lot more used to moving around on the bike by the end of the day, and for once, my legs were far more exhausted than my back or arms after a long day riding. And pictures:

The day before (excuse my messy backyard >_<). Took 2wheelguy's advice and picked up some ancra tie downs in place of my canyon dancers. Worked great, but the 55 mph speed limit for trailered vehicles blows. Oh, and on a mildly related side note, taking the mirrors off was such a pain >_<

And my tires afterwords. Eesh, now I know what it's like to actually use that rubber.

A couple of the other riders told me they were shocked by how much I had improved over the course of the day (I set a pretty low bar to start though ). Obviously, I'm no Rossi or anything, and I'm still pretty noob-tastic, but It felt great, I had a blast, and I felt a lot better trying new techniques there than I ever could in the canyons. I still want to work on better and faster lines for a lot of those turns, and I now want some rearsets and clip ons, but all in due time. What a great experience. Alright, I'm done prattling on now. You may carry on ^_^

Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #2
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Wow, looks like you had a blast. The pics look great! You have now been bitten by the track bug, resistance is futile LOL. I take it your car towed the bike no problem, I tow mine with a Honda Civic and it's fine. Glad you had fun.

Where's the pic without the helmet?
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #3
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

definately looks like a serious blast!

wish we had a place in paradise to do that

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Yep, all four cylinders of my celica pulled like a champ. It was a bit slower than usual going up hills, but that's about it. I think the hardest part was keeping my speed at only 55

Haha, the helmet doesn't come off (read as: my hair was so messed up by the end of the day, that you should be glad I didn't get any ).

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #5
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Looks like we've got another one addicted to track days. Glad you had fun.

Most track day outfits will let you tape over your mirrors if they are a pain to remove. Check with them when you sign up. I just put a little painters blue tape on the mirrors that come through tech. It only takes a minute.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #6
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS73 View Post
Where's the pic without the helmet?

Yeah she is hawt. I call dibbs!
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #7
nope
ninjette.org member

Name: Johnathan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honda 1000RR, 2008 Ninja 250R

May I suggest: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42576
I just started tracking recently (2 events) and can't stop! It's seriously all I look forward to :P

Your photos look great btw, those are some legit action shots!
nope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Nooooo! My secrets been revealed

Yeah, I saw a bunch of people there with tape on there mirrors and their indicators simply removed and felt retarded for going through all that trouble ^^; Next time

But really, canyon riding just isn't going to be the same now. I wish I had room to pave a track in my backyard so I could go more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nope View Post
May I suggest: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42576
I just started tracking recently (2 events) and can't stop! It's seriously all I look forward to :P

Your photos look great btw, those are some legit action shots!
I think I may just have to hit you up for May 8th. Do they have a novice level? I don't want to get too far over my head or anything

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #9
nope
ninjette.org member

Name: Johnathan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honda 1000RR, 2008 Ninja 250R

Yeah they have a novice group. I'm pretty sure there are still spots open but you'd probably wanna call em Monday.
nope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Will do. Hopefully I can get a spot. It'd be awesome to see some other 250's there ^_^

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #11
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiphone View Post
i wish i had room to pave a track in my backyard so i could go more.
lol

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #12
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post

Yeah she is hawt. I call dibbs!
hahahaha! Good looking for sure.

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Tiff, it looks like you had fun. You will learn more each time you go. Too scarey for me!

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #14
kkim

Congrats, Tiff.

You have my deepest respect and envy.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

You should be scared. Racetracks eat men alive
Haha, call it a hunch, but somehow, I have a weird feeling that you've been able to more than handle it for a long time, CC

Do they not have tracks in Hawaii?

Old April 18th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #16
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Streets is a good place to do your 1st trackday. Especially on a 250.

I did my 2nd day there.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post

Do they not have tracks in Hawaii?
nope
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #19
Manimal
ninjette.org member

Name: Daren

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE

and thanks for sharing your first experience. Great pictures and video.

I too recently did my first BIG track day (Buttonwillow) and had a blast as well. Sadly, I was the only 250 at the track that day. Looking back, I wish I had done the 2 day event

As for prepping the Ninja, I actually removed my turn signals and mirrors. I figured those would be one less item(s) to repair or replace if I had an oops moment
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #20
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

thats the greenest I've ever seen the mountains behind willow springs!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #21
KTRacing38
2010 250 Cup Champion

Name: Kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R and 2007 Honda CR150F

Congrats on completing your first track day. Looks like you had fun.
KTRacing38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #22
Davidb1986
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE green with Monster energy decals!!!

I'm thinking of taking my bike to the track. If I like it I'll get a used 250 and convert it to a track bike. Who knows maybe I'll race ninja 250s one of these days and then maybe a bigger bike after that.

Glad you had fun Tiffani maybe one of these days we'll see each other on the track.

OOHHH and where can I get a Harley Davidson pinball machine like the one in your garage?

Old April 19th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #23
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
thats the greenest I've ever seen the mountains behind willow springs!
lol

truth!
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #24
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Yeah, I felt like my 250 actually made a lot of sense on this track. Obviously, I don't have any other tracks to compare it too or anything, and I'm sure any bike could excel there, but the focus on turns over straights struck me as something that would play more to the 250's strengths than, say, the much bigger, faster looking track on the other side of the pits.

I think the rain earlier last week helped the mountains to be a little prettier just so my pictures could be more scenic. Nature and I- we're good buddies these days On a side note, it was soooo cold out there that morning, yet incredibly hot by noon. The desert is so absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidb1986 View Post
OOHHH and where can I get a Harley Davidson pinball machine like the one in your garage?
Gasp! Don't look at the background! Those crazy hooligans always painting over my supersport kawasaki pinball machine with harley logos Been using that thing as a table for tools and such for so long that I completely forgot what it actually was

Old April 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #25
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Great post, Tiff! Now your whole way of thinking is gonna change... every time you're thinking about buying anything, you're gonna do this "wait.... that's a track day fee, or that's a set of tires" thing. The race track can be quite addicting. Great pics! ... nuttin as sexy as a chick in leathers Looks like ya had fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #26
Davidb1986
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE green with Monster energy decals!!!

::::GASP:::: You use your pinball machine as a table??? That should be against the law!!! lol Pinball machines should be played!!!!

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #27
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

Think when you go back to the canyons it's going to feel show now!
Way to go girl!
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote