ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Ancient Battle-Axe

Ok ancient may be a little strong...but she's a battle-axe alright!

I brought home my new-to-me 1992 Suzuki GSX-r 750 today, and I managed to survive the 150+ kilometer ride home. This bike is in EXCELLENT condition. It's been well used over the years, but her string of previous owners took very good care of her. Mechanicall, she's perfect.

Onto the pictures:

What is it with me and dented tanks?

Gratuitus stable shot:

I definitely need more practice time with the new bike. It's not so much the power and weight of the new bike that's daunting (there's plenty of both...don't get me wrong). It's the fairly aggressive riding position that's throwing me off. I honestly have no idea how people can get a supersport as their first bike and "learn" how to ride in that position.

As for the 250...I'm keeping it for the time being and will continue to use it to commute to work, the gym, the grocery store, etc. The gixxer, which I named Jupiter, will be used on a limited "training" basis until I can get more comfortable with her. On that note...the ride home was AMAZING!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

congratulations!

Old September 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Ancient would be a 1985 GSXR.

You could probably get the dent popped out for very little money.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #4
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Looks good. Looks like it was well cared for. How did it get the dent? It looks like something dropped on it ...not it being dropped.

Old September 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

congrats on the new ride. i'm curious why did you decided to go with that year of bike?
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Flashmonkey

Well from what I understand, one of the previous owners had several bikes, and had one of those bikes fall on this one....hence the dent. It doesn't look too serious, and I'll leave it on for now as it adds character.

My reasoning for this bike is more or less my soft spot for old school-ish vehicles (early 90's is old school for me haha!). I wasn't necessarily looking for an upgrade yet....but this opportunity was way too good to pass up....so here I am.

I actually rode both back to back this afternoon. Yes, the speed on the 750 is unrealistically insane....but I pretty much lose out on the "quickness" of the 250. I'm definitely going to feel that when I use the 750 to commute to work next season....but eventually the little one is going to have to go.

Edit: Oh and when I was looking, the final two contenders were this bike...and an '89 "slingshot" gixxer 750. That slingshot was sweeeeet....but oil cooled.

Old September 19th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

not sure if you ever saw this video before, but it is pretty cool. my friend has a 2003 gixxer 750. i love his bike.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Flashmonkey

Wow that video is fantastic! I definitely have an affinity towards the earlier model gixxers haha....but the SRADs and onwards are definitely formidable machines. One day maybe

Old September 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #9
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

awesome!

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

Sexy 'sling-shot'!

From everyone who I've ever talked to who owned those old air-cooled GSXR's, they all say to fit a steering dampener as SOON as possible. They are stupid fast in a straight line but were prone to wobbles when ridden at pace in the twisties.

Old October 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Flashmonkey

Greg, this is actually one of the watercoolers....and it does come with a steering damper from the factory. Whether or not it's still functioning is another matter.

The other bike I was looking at was a sling shot....those are fantastic bikes, but as you said, they were prone to tank slapping. I don't like tank slapping haha.