ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old July 24th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #1
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

My new adventure bike

I fixed the Suzuki Bandit (GSF400 1991) cam chain problems with a manual cam chain adjuster. Did a valve adjustment while I had the cover off, and it fired up and sounded great. Time for a ride. The goal of the ride was take the bike through some well-known twisties and decide whether to sell the 250, or sell the Bandit.

So I'm in farmland between Woodland and Winters, 15 miles out, and this first of three breakdowns on sunday is still a mystery. The gas tank was full, it was cool out, and after removing the tank on the side of the road and twiddling the ignition wires, it fired up--but I think I could have stared at the bike and it would have started. It then ran 2+ hours without a hiccup. Yes, I did bring tools!

Approaching 100 miles on the tank of gas it died. I figured out it was a fuel problem because weaving around (sloshing the gas in the tank) was getting it to run. I did this occasionally for about 15 miles until finally it totally died. I took off the tank on the side of the road again and re-routed my fuel line (so it always points downhill towards the carbs). This temporarily 'fixed' the bike well enough so I could go about 1/4 mile before it would die, I would coast on the shoulder until the engine would catch, ride another 1/4 mile, coast maybe 1/2 mile, and repeat for about 5 miles until I rolled into Winters. I fill the tank and the problem goes away. I ride home 20 miles without a hiccup.

So now I have this crappy.... oh wait, the bike handles great in the twisties. Radials front and rear, upgraded suspension. But anyways, the problems go on. On monday I replace the inline fuel filter and I put the fuel petcock on 'prime' thinking that will bypass the petcock (just troubleshooting) and all four carbs start leaking fuel out of the intake side. What, all four carbs have stuck floats??? Nightmare!

Oh, my lovingly restored 1981 cx500, how I miss you!

I can't sell this Bandit in it's current condition without taking a major loss (which I can't afford), so I will fix it...
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #2
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Husky TE 250, 2002 KTM EXC 250r

You go dog....

Old July 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #3
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Good luck brother!!! You clearly have a mammoth task ahead of you... Clearly, owning the bike itself seems to be an adventure for you...