Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old June 8th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
AdhesiveTransfers
Expectations=Limitation

Name: T.Smith

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Who's got the ZX6R

next season Im planning on getting the zx6 r super bike
Anyone that has it or had it and wants to share their experience on it, I would like to get some feedback about the bike.

..gas mileage, top speed, maintenance ??
AdhesiveTransfers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
top speed
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

I'll tell you in about a week after I get mine.

Looks like all the dealers around me are pricing it as if you're going through Costco.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Yeah like Jason said, top speed is a moot point. I seriously laughed when this one guy told me he wanted a zx14 because the listed top speed is higher than a Hayabusa's.

A number of us have zx6's. Gas mileage is mid 30's if I'm riding like a moron, 45 if I'm riding like I'm scared. Tires cost more, gas costs more for a different octane rating, chain stretches less than the 250 since it's a heavier chain, less frequent valve checks, more spark plugs to get, takes more twice the amount of oil than the 250. It's less squirrely than the 250 on turns due to the weight, suspension, and bigger tires, has more braking power due to bigger brakes, tires, and suspension, seat height is a bit higher, clutch is different, etc.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdhesiveTransfers View Post
top speed ??
My buddy said he did 168 mph on his '05.

I'm not trying to kill myself which is why I'm staying away from those bikes for now.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #6
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Yeah like Jason said, top speed is a moot point. I seriously laughed when this one guy told me he wanted a zx14 because the listed top speed is higher than a Hayabusa's.

A number of us have zx6's. Gas mileage is mid 30's if I'm riding like a moron, 45 if I'm riding like I'm scared. Tires cost more, gas costs more for a different octane rating, chain stretches less than the 250 since it's a heavier chain, less frequent valve checks, more spark plugs to get, takes more twice the amount of oil than the 250. It's less squirrely than the 250 on turns due to the weight, suspension, and bigger tires, has more braking power due to bigger brakes, tires, and suspension, seat height is a bit higher, clutch is different, etc.
I love the squirrely-ness of the 250 in turns.

Basically what he said, but don't forget that insurance tends to cost more.

P.S.

You going to be squidding on it? Your profile pic makes me facepalm.

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
This magazine (and many others like it) are going to become your best friend when looking for reviews of riding/cost/maintenance of different kinds of motorcycles.

http://www.sportrider.com/

Other than that, there's plenty of info in other threads already on the net. General consensus of someone going from a 250 to a super sport is usually, "OHMYGOSHIT'SAMAZING!", followed by "SOMUCHPOWER".

Since you plan to get a 600 next year, practice with the 250. Throttle control, looking through turns (being committed, being aware of SR's), hard braking, parking lot maneuvers, general smoothness. These are all skills that transfer to larger, heavier bikes. Remember that the 250 is a very forgiving bike if your riding sucks, so take advantage of it while you can, because not all bikes are this easy to ride.

Many are quick to ditch the 250, yet so many wish they'd spent more time on it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #8
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Anyone that has it or had it and wants to share their experience on it, I would like to get some feedback about the bike.

1. 15~50mpg
2. Closed road 172mph indicated (probably about 150~160 actual)
3. Easy. No fairing removal needed to oil change.

I did a review of the 2013 ZX6R on my Youtube channel if you were interested. I also plan to record/post a follow up review later this week. I'm about to hit 1,000 miles on my zixxer.

It's fairly common for me to wish I still had my 250r. I'm madly deeply in love with my 636, but the 250 will always be my first true love.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #9
AdhesiveTransfers
Expectations=Limitation

thanks for the info everyone. I'm not a first timer to motorcycles which is why im interested in more power next season (& the fact I cant keep up with my buddies) not trying to just jump up on size to look cool..
I know there will be a huge difference & with that I will dress with more safety

Old June 9th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
I know there will be a huge difference & with that I will dress with more safety
So how exactly does a bigger bike with more power equate to the need for better gear?

If you go down it won't matter what kind of bike you're on… ATGATT is a mindset that is independent of your choice of motorcycle.

A bigger bike in and of itself is no more dangerous than a 250. What's dangerous is the rider who overdoes it and tries to be a hero. You mention "keeping up with your friends" and you want to know about top speed. Is this a race or something? Think about it. Ride your own ride. We like old riders… the ones who are smart enough to survive.

Anyway….

You didn't specify if you're talking the new ZX6R or not. The new one (636) really interests me (real-world usable torque, very cool engine management electronics and I love the styling). The earlier ones got great reviews, too.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #11
menikmati

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
3. Easy. No fairing removal needed to oil change.
There's more to maintenance than oil changes. The 2009-2012 requires removal of the tank and airbox for spark plugs (go a little further and you have access to the valves for measuring lash and adjusting) and basically the entire front-end fairing set if you want full access for coolant overflow and coolant flushes. Sprockets/chains have easy access as well as the clutch and throttle cables for lubing.

Quote:
thanks for the info everyone. I'm not a first timer to motorcycles which is why im interested in more power next season (& the fact I cant keep up with my buddies) not trying to just jump up on size to look cool..
The ground doesn't care what bike you're riding when you go down. If you're not riding with the proper mindset/gear on your 250 then I doubt it will change very dramatically if you get a supersport.

Old June 9th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ Case and point, I've gotten MESSED UP on a bicycle at speeds much lower than what our motorcycles are capable of.

I got sideways and crashed at only 20 mph off a small jump last summer; spent a night in the ER with a partially deflated lung, 2 bruised ribs, and a whole lot of bruised tissue in my chest, which made my heartbeat/breathing hurt like mad up stairs. I still have scars from my forearm to my hip/upper thigh (yes, my butt cheek too )

I won't ride a motorcycle without gear now. I'm not perfect about ATGATT, but you'll never find me without a jacket, gauntlets, boots of some kind, and a full-face helmet. I just bought a race suit for long rides and track days.

Old June 9th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #13
AdhesiveTransfers
Expectations=Limitation

I agree 100% about dressing properly. I mean I have the jacket and gloves and I always drive the speed limit (just curious to know the top speeds with the zx6) and wear my helmet.
with a faster machine I would never go without all my gear. yes you are absolutely right it doesn't matter what your on I'm well aware of it. I've hit ground plenty from dirt bikes. As for which zx6 I ment the newer 636cc I was looking for a increase of power for more speed more gears wont compare to anything from a 250

Old June 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #14
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
There's more to maintenance than oil changes. The 2009-2012 requires removal of the tank and airbox for spark plugs (go a little further and you have access to the valves for measuring lash and adjusting) and basically the entire front-end fairing set if you want full access for coolant overflow and coolant flushes. Sprockets/chains have easy access as well as the clutch and throttle cables for lubing.
I find that most the time, people asking this question are just referring to common/basic maintenance. Let's be realistic, valve clearance on most bikes is a bit of a pain to do for the average Joe. That's why I only mentioned oil changes as they will be just about the only maint you need to do for a while (chain stuff is nearly the same on any bike).

As for removing the gastank and airbox anyways, both are a piece of cake. The hardest part is taking the fairings off your first time. Grab a service manual so you know where all the tabs are and it's fairly painless.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the super bikes are all 1000s. Check with the AMA to see if you can run a 600.

Old June 9th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #16
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I find that most the time, people asking this question are just referring to common/basic maintenance. Let's be realistic, valve clearance on most bikes is a bit of a pain to do for the average Joe. That's why I only mentioned oil changes as they will be just about the only maint you need to do for a while (chain stuff is nearly the same on any bike).

As for removing the gastank and airbox anyways, both are a piece of cake. The hardest part is taking the fairings off your first time. Grab a service manual so you know where all the tabs are and it's fairly painless.
There are differences and similarities between the 250R and ZX6R in regards to maintenance and upkeep. He asked about maintenance in general, not just oil changes, so I elaborated on some of them.

Removing the fairings on a 250 is like playing with Legos while on a ZX6R it's more akin to doing surgery on plastic.

Old June 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #17
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Love the new 636. If I were looking that would be on the list. The leftover zx10r superbike was close in price up here.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #18
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
I got to ride a 636 last weekend at Laguna seca. After 6 laps on the thing I was able to shave off a mere 12 seconds from my best on the 250 sorry I didn't look at the top speed but I'm sure it was close to 160 going into turn 2 since it was bouncing off the rev limiter

I even posted a video of it.

Oh yeah it was an 2006 or something if that matters to at all.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

my brother has a 2011 zx6....

first gear goes up to 130 km/h. Don't think i've gotten to the end of second gear, don't wanna lose my licence. trust me, it has enough gears.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #20
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
So how exactly does a bigger bike with more power equate to the need for better gear?

If you go down it won't matter what kind of bike you're on…
Just to play Devil's Advocate....

Crashing at 150mph. That's my answer
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #21
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
my brother has a 2011 zx6....

first gear goes up to 130 km/h. Don't think i've gotten to the end of second gear, don't wanna lose my licence. trust me, it has enough gears.
We descend Mt. Diablo at over 50mph wearing only Lycra and a small foam ice chest on our heads and we don't seem to give each other **** for not wearing enough gear. I know its stupid right

My top speed on public roads on my road cycle is 65 mph wearing practically nothing

I think all cyclists need their heads examined.

Oh and if you crash at 150mph anywhere other then the track then your going to be screwed regardless of what your wearing because your going to hit something very solid soon and its not going to give a rat ass about how abrasive resistant your new leather jacket is

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #22
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Oh and if you crash at 150mph anywhere other then the track then your going to be screwed regardless of what your wearing because your going to hit something very solid soon and its not going to give a rat ass about how abrasive resistant your new leather jacket is
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
We descend Mt. Diablo at over 50mph wearing only Lycra and a small foam ice chest on our heads and we don't seem to give each other **** for not wearing enough gear. I know its stupid right

My top speed on public roads on my road cycle is 65 mph wearing practically nothing

I think all cyclists need their heads examined
Yeah, I still freak out about it on a bicycle though!

Old June 10th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #24
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Keep up with your buddies eh? Don't bother convincing us that you always do the speed limit. You want to haul the mail? I know the feeling. This past saturday I could've used a 600 for the last half of the ride. O that's right, I probably would've launched myself off a cliff since we were pretty much doing triple the speed limit...and there were 2 250s.

The new ZX6R has traction control. I heard it works really well. In full talentless mode apparently you can crack the throttle wide open before the apex and the rear won't break loose. Leave TC on and pick good lines and become "King of the streets?" It'll have more power than you'll ever need most likely to beat up on your friends.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #25
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Keep up with your buddies eh? Don't bother convincing us that you always do the speed limit. You want to haul the mail? I know the feeling. This past saturday I could've used a 600 for the last half of the ride. O that's right, I probably would've launched myself off a cliff since we were pretty much doing triple the speed limit...and there were 2 250s.

The new ZX6R has traction control. I heard it works really well. In full talentless mode apparently you can crack the throttle wide open before the apex and the rear won't break loose. Leave TC on and pick good lines and become "King of the streets?" It'll have more power than you'll ever need most likely to beat up on your friends.
As if a 600 with full traction control and ABS could enable you to keep Newbee in sight let's just this guys freinds don't ride like your freinds

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #26
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I have no desire to keep up with newbee. I just read the whole drama of Scott LaVelle on BARF. Look up posts by J O K E R. I read through 3 threads and I literally wanted to sell my street bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6fY29kgx54

His inevitable fate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc6qN-CMfHY

Slow down out there /Thread jack
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #27
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Quote:

I think all cyclists need their heads examined.

ummmmm..... yeah..... I was talking aboot the gears in the transmission, that it has enough gear(s) transmission wise since its so fast in first.....
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #28
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
ummmmm..... yeah..... I was talking aboot the gears in the transmission, that it has enough gear(s) transmission wise since its so fast in first.....
Personaly I wouldn't buy any bike with less then 8 gears.

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #29
AdhesiveTransfers
Expectations=Limitation

Exactly

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #30
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
ZX-6R doesn't even need gears, why bother shifting with all that power? Just keep it in 3rd, that'll take you way past the speed limit.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #31
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
ZX-6R doesn't even need gears, why bother shifting with all that power? Just keep it in 3rd, that'll take you way past the speed limit.
and way below an acceptable gas mileage limit if you're going more than city speeds
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #32
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Im not going to lie I rarely hit 6th gear. because even at highway speeds your RPMS are so low... and when its in 6th I have a really hard time keeping it under 100.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #33
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Im not going to lie I rarely hit 6th gear. because even at highway speeds your RPMS are so low... and when its in 6th I have a really hard time keeping it under 100.
Does that hurt your gas mileage at all? I always keep it in 6th on the highway but it is extremely easy to give it a tiny bit of extra throttle and be doing 90+ lol
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #34
menikmati

I use 6th all the time if I'm on the highway. Sometimes I even short shift just to get to 6th and just cruise.

Old June 12th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #35
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Does that hurt your gas mileage at all? I always keep it in 6th on the highway but it is extremely easy to give it a tiny bit of extra throttle and be doing 90+ lol
Meh naa not really
Quote:
I use 6th all the time if I'm on the highway. Sometimes I even short shift just to get to 6th and just cruise.
But you have one of the slow years
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #36
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:

When the hell did you get a zx6r?!
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #37
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
2011 ZX-6R

MPG: 30-34mpg (90+ octane though.)
Top Speed: ~160mph
Maintenance: So far, very easy. Getting to any wires or anything in the tail section requires fairing removal, but it's no different than doing maintenance on the 250r.
Insurance: Over double of the 250r.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #38
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Top speed is irrelevant for me but the acceleration is awesome. Gas mileage is pretty consistent 40-42 with a low of 30ish and a high of 47. Maintenance isn't too bad so far. Oil change was straight forward. My insurance for full coverage 100/300k was 1000 a year. I turned 25 and it dropped to 380/yr.
Posted via Mobile Device
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #39
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
Top speed is irrelevant for me but the acceleration is awesome. Gas mileage is pretty consistent 40-42 with a low of 30ish and a high of 47. Maintenance isn't too bad so far. Oil change was straight forward. My insurance for full coverage 100/300k was 1000 a year. I turned 25 and it dropped to 380/yr.
Posted via Mobile Device
Who is your carrier if you don't mind me asking?
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #40
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post

When the hell did you get a zx6r?!
October of last year, somewhere around there. I remember having it when Halloween rolled around.