ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Notices

Old April 29th, 2020, 02:45 PM   #1
psykown
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

K7 GSXR600 Slow crank startup (Im stumped)

Hey guys I know it aint a ninja but you guys have always been solid help

I have a K7 GSXR600 now (Will never own another Suzuki after this) and just finished a valve adjustment and putting new fairings on her.

-Tried starting her up and it wouldnt crank
-Jumped her off the truck and it crank very slowly and then gradually sped up
until it fired up.
-Took it for a quick spin around the block and it had a slight whine when
revving and then stalled twice coming to a light when I pulled the clutch in
-When restarting her it would again crank very slowly and then gradually
speed
up before starting
-got it home and it wasnt throwing any codes except the tps is slightly out
out of alignment (like its been since I got it)

What would cause an issue like this?

Old April 29th, 2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Check the battery voltage at its terminals while you're cranking.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2020, 03:00 PM   #3
psykown
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

What would I be looking for? even starting it off my truck battery it did the same thing and I know thats a good one

Old April 29th, 2020, 03:08 PM   #4
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
load test the battery, check for clean, tight harness to frame ground points...these would be your initial checks. I'd then include integrity of the charging system function.

edit: load test is basically what @triplejim is suggesting
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2020, 04:58 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykown View Post
What would I be looking for? even starting it off my truck battery it did the same thing and I know thats a good one
You'd be looking for the battery voltage while cranking. Then you could tell us what it is and we can go from there.

Old April 29th, 2020, 04:59 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Bad battery? I know you jumped it, but still.

Bad starter relay?

Bad starter motor?

Bad cables/connections/ground?

Some checking with a volt meter is required to isolate the problem.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2020, 05:32 PM   #7
psykown
ninjette.org member

Ok tried to start her again and it spun up in about half the time as before, showed a code for the pair valve. Plugged that back in lol, she fired up pretty quick after that, went for a quick spin around the block and seemed fine but Had a slightly low idle and still had that new whine. Adjusted the idle went to fire her back up and nothing this time, just spins slow at first, speeds up, then slows back down, been smelling gas in the exhaust as well.
Started her again just now, showed 11.8V dropping to mid 9V during the cranking settling back at 13V at idle (normal for me with this bike) it also didn’t start cranking slowly this time it fired up like normal

Old April 29th, 2020, 05:35 PM   #8
psykown
ninjette.org member

I do hear a slight tapping from the top end like the valves are loose (everything was on the tight end since I bought it so I don’t know how normal that is) and there still is that whine.
I’ve got a red bull and free evening so I may just do the whole valve inspection process again and see if I missed something

Old April 29th, 2020, 05:48 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Started her again just now, showed 11.8V dropping to mid 9V during the cranking settling back at 13V at idle
11.8 before cranking shows a fairly well discharged battery. Dropping to 9 during cranking is also pretty low. I can't tell you all the things that might be wrong, but I'd get the low battery voltage problem fixed and then see if there is still a problem.

You either have a failing battery or a charging system that's not right. Does that 13v at idle go up around 14 when you rev the engine? If so I'd say the battery needs to be replaced.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 29th, 2020, 05:54 PM   #10
psykown
ninjette.org member

Correct the 13 at idle is normal for it and it does jump to just shy of 14v when revved like normal, if it was a battery issue it shouldn’t have been a problem when jumped from my truck though.

Old April 29th, 2020, 06:37 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Correct the 13 at idle is normal for it and it does jump to just shy of 14v when revved like normal, if it was a battery issue it shouldn’t have been a problem when jumped from my truck though.
Often a low battery drags down the voltage for a while, so cranking would be very slow until its terminal voltage came up and allowed the starter to run at a more normal speed.

The voltages you gave above indicate a battery problem, since you've said the charging system is working properly. As I said, there may be other problems, but you've described a battery problem for sure.

Old April 29th, 2020, 06:43 PM   #12
psykown
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Ok tried to start her again and it spun up in about half the time as before, showed a code for the pair valve. Plugged that back in lol, she fired up pretty quick after that, went for a quick spin around the block and seemed fine but Had a slightly low idle and still had that new whine. Adjusted the idle went to fire her back up and nothing this time, just spins slow at first, speeds up, then slows back down, been smelling gas in the exhaust as well.
Started her again just now, showed 11.8V dropping to mid 9V during the cranking settling back at 13V at idle (normal for me with this bike) it also didn’t start cranking slowly this time it fired up like normal

Last sentence. When checking the voltage it “fired up like normal”

Old April 29th, 2020, 06:46 PM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Last sentence. When checking the voltage it “fired up like normal”
Yes, from your description, the battery got a charge just before that last cranking test, so its voltage was up temporarily. Its behavior after sitting overnight may not be the same.

But if you disagree with what I'm suggesting, I will leave you to it.

Old April 29th, 2020, 06:48 PM   #14
psykown
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Yes, from your description, the battery got a charge just before that last cranking test, so its voltage was up temporarily. Its behavior after sitting overnight may not be the same.

But if you disagree with what I'm suggesting, I will leave you to it.
That wouldn’t explain why after running it the previous times it wouldn’t start the

Old April 29th, 2020, 08:41 PM   #15
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Something dragging internally? Causing whine?

With clutch squeezed at light, does it want to creep forward without brakes?

Test spinning engine by hand with ratchet-wrench (with plugs removed). Does it spin smoothly and easily?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2020, 08:44 PM   #16
psykown
ninjette.org member

I’m not sure, it didn’t want to pull at lights or if I tried starting in gear with the clutch in. I was wondering if I screwed up the shins some how but none are too tight, working through the manual to get back to the valve inspection everything was in place as well

Old April 29th, 2020, 11:01 PM   #17
psykown
ninjette.org member

@tripleJim this fixed it

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Ok, now for everyone else, went back through he whole valve inspection process step by step by the manual and everything was where it should be. The only thing that I did change and redo was the cam alignment, I [I]think[I] that when doing the initial adjustment I skipped a tooth. put her back to together and no hard start fired up like normal, ran fine, still has a mild whine it sounds like from the left side of the bike but nothing that is worrisome now. Ill take her for a spin up rte 2 tomorrow if anyone wants to join in!

Last futzed with by psykown; April 29th, 2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Pic not uploading
psykown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2020, 10:21 AM   #18
psykown
ninjette.org member

-All right so she fired right up this morning no issues.
-Went about 10 minutes and then at lights I started hearing and feling a rattle
when the clutch was released in neutral as well as the clutch kind of slipping
into a lockup nonlinearly to the lever pull.
-Made my first stop went to start her back up and it did the spool up start again
with the same clutch issues on the way home.
-Jumping her off the truck when I got home (again known good battery) made
no change to the spoolup start

Old April 30th, 2020, 11:20 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Something dragging internally? Causing whine?

With clutch squeezed at light, does it want to creep forward without brakes?

Test spinning engine by hand with ratchet-wrench (with plugs removed). Does it spin smoothly and easily?
Kinda wondering about that as well.

Do you think a bad starter relay would give the odd "spool-up" starting?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2020, 11:22 AM   #20
psykown
ninjette.org member

That was kind of what I was thinking as well, checking on how to check that now. Was wondering if maybe the starter was the drag I was feeling as well?

Old April 30th, 2020, 04:58 PM   #21
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Possibility. I had bike where handlebars controls banged into tank horribly. I'd always have to make sure my thumbs were clear. However, that caused start push-button to bang against tank and get stuck in ON position Didn't notice that starter was running full-time.

Eventually, not sure how long, starter started burning out. I pried stuck button back out but it was too late. Starter-bearings was seized up and spun slowly with variable speed, giving WHUPP-WHUPP sound each time it pushed a cylinder to TDC.

So... test your start-button electronically and make sure it doesn't stick ON after you push it. That whining sound may be starter continuously running. Easy test is unplug connector coming from your start-button (if accessible). Otherwise, measure power coming out of both wires of start-button when bike's running.

Or... just disconnect power-cable from starter after bike's running and see if whining starter stops.

You can also remove starter and bench-test it with battery. It should spin quickly and smoothly with no screeching, grinding or whining noises.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote