Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Your 2c on duc monster

I've been considering options for my first "big" bike.
Lately I've really been leaning towards the Ducati Monster line.

The current crop features a 696 model, the previous being 620.

What I think I know:
Expensive brand name (performance is blah)
It's not very fast (130mph)
It's air cooled (is this a problem in Florida, particularly stop and go?)
It's naked (not a whole lot of naked 600's)
It's expensive to fix (how about if you maintain it well? Is that even poss.?)
It looks very bland.....

Except if you tweak it and make it look like THIS

I want THIS!

I know thats the 1000, but it looks practically the same. f'ing expensive for one. I will have to start pricing and budgeting for the mods now.

Ok, now it's up to you, to convince me otherwise with your vast collective knowledge and experience.

You may proceed.....
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #2
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

You made some pretty good arguments for NOT getting one.... personally I would only buy a Ducati if I really wanted one and could REALLY afford it. That doesn't mean buying it without financing, that means paying cash wouldn't hurt, and maintainance costs are a spit in the buckett.

For me, this is fantasy land, but for those who can, why not?

BTW: I did beat a Duc on my 250r off the line last year........ for almost 20 feet.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #3
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Regular servicing for them, and that is if nothing is wrong, is about $1000. And they are notoriously unreliable. Older ones have trouble with electrics, rockers and rusting. They swear the new ones are better - but it seems that they say that for every new model until something comes up.

Take a look here for part prices before you save up to buy one: Ducati OEM Parts. I think you'll find prices on parts a bit higher than on a japanese bike, and you'll have a bigger need for them.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #4
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Ducatis are some sexy bikes but like its been said they require a bit more tlc than the Japanese. Your next best option is a SV650 which is basically Suzuki's answer to the Monster, they look great naked or faired.

Or if you really want a euro bike there is still KTM, Aprilia, BMW and Triumph. Triumph is probably the most reasonably priced out of the bunch, competetive with the japanese on pricing.

Old January 19th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #5
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

+1 on the sv650. I have been told that Italian bikes are like Italian women, sooner or later they will break your heart.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #6
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

its a poser bike imho but if you like it go with it

just dont be one of those guys who sits there and talks about how awesome his duc is to anyone who will listen.

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
What are your priorities?

Do you buy a bike to ride or to look at?

If you're out in the twisties one fine weekend unable to keep up with bikes that cost half as much, are you going to be thinking about how great your bike looks, or are you going to be wishing you had a better bike?

There are those for whom style trumps utility. They're the people who buy $400 shoes that look fantastic but are so frakkin' uncomfortable they can't be walked in for more than a few minutes.

See those polished rims? That polished swingarm? To keep the bike looking good you need to keep them spotless. Which is time you could be spending riding. One ride… ONE… and all that bling gets grungy.

That pristine red chain? Yah. That bike is not meant to be ridden. It's a show bike, dude. This thing goes to the show in a trailer, gets rolled off the trailer, parked, and ogled.

And all those farkles together probably cost nearly as much as the bike did. "Tweaking" ain't cheap if you want to do it right.

Think with the large head, not the small one. Get something reliable, fun, cheap and good-performing to ride. Run rings around the Duc. Grin ear-to-ear. Laugh all the way to the bank.

Put a poster of the Duc on your wall to look at.

Now, if you've got enough money to own a bike to ride AND a bike to show, then it's very cool indeed.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #8
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
its a poser bike
Just want to be clear: are you saying an SV650 is a poser bike?
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #9
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Just want to be clear: are you saying an SV650 is a poser bike?
no

Old January 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #10
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
What are your priorities?

Do you buy a bike to ride or to look at?

If you're out in the twisties one fine weekend unable to keep up with bikes that cost half as much, are you going to be thinking about how great your bike looks, or are you going to be wishing you had a better bike?

There are those for whom style trumps utility. They're the people who buy $400 shoes that look fantastic but are so frakkin' uncomfortable they can't be walked in for more than a few minutes.

See those polished rims? That polished swingarm? To keep the bike looking good you need to keep them spotless. Which is time you could be spending riding. One ride… ONE… and all that bling gets grungy.

That pristine red chain? Yah. That bike is not meant to be ridden. It's a show bike, dude. This thing goes to the show in a trailer, gets rolled off the trailer, parked, and ogled.

And all those farkles together probably cost nearly as much as the bike did. "Tweaking" ain't cheap if you want to do it right.

Think with the large head, not the small one. Get something reliable, fun, cheap and good-performing to ride. Run rings around the Duc. Grin ear-to-ear. Laugh all the way to the bank.

Put a poster of the Duc on your wall to look at.

Now, if you've got enough money to own a bike to ride AND a bike to show, then it's very cool indeed.

Old January 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #11
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

As the owner of an older Ducati 900CR which is only different from the Monster 900 of the same year by a better frame, forks and being semi faired and not a naked let me clear up a few misconceptions.

2V Ducatis, such as the Monster620/695/696 are much easier to work on then the 4V water cooled Ducs. A water cooled Duc can run you $1k for a valve adjustment at a shop. The 2V ducati is as easy to adjust the valves on as your 250.

Most of the Consumables on the Newer Monsters are available through the aftermarket, including FI tuning. Mine is still carburated, and for a full set of rebuild parts, it did get a little spendy, but it was my own damn fault for letting fuel sit in the carbs while I was trying to get the forks straightened out after the fiasco the previous owner did to them.

There are tons of aftermarket suppliers for the Monster line of bikes that cost the same for parts as the Japanese bikes. They are now up to the same maintenance intervals as any other V-Twin street bike on the market. Again, this is for the 2V Monsters and the Hypermotard 796.

Having spent time on SV650's and Monsters, when the 620 was out, it was a huge disappointment compared to the SV650. The 695/696 have made a huge difference in the way the bike feels and acts over the SV. But, your still comparing a 2V V-Twin to a 4V V-Twin when comparing to the SV. The SV will have more Top End revs over the Low End Punch of the Monster.

As to "Only go 130" that is pretty much the norm for V-Twins in the 600 range. If you want faster without having to change the EPA beating gearing from the factory, look at an Inline 600.

Want to stay in the Kawi family? Go Naked? and keep it a Twin? ER6N is your answer.

There are options out there, and for some, Ducs don't fit. But it is better to know that many of the things that HURT Ducati 10 years ago, are not always the issue today.

But that extra $4G's for a new Duc, is a very very heavy persuading factor in my buying wallet when it comes to out the door buying. I don't even have $3G's invested in my '95 after fixing the crap the previous owner did to it, and that includes the buying price.

Old January 19th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

The 695 has a reputation for being under powered. The 796 has often been compared to the Triumph Street Triple with a 675cc engine and the Triple walks all over it in terms of overall power output and performance.

Ducati's rep of being unreliable isn't what it used to be, as I believe they've gotten quite a bit better with their QC with the latest generation of bikes...however...if you're looking for a new step up, and you want a naked 600cc-ish bike...I recommend the Street Triple. That could easily be the last bike you'll ever need to buy.

I rode one and it made my 18 year old gixxer 750 feel like a school bus with flat tires.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #13
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

But they sound soooo good, lol

Thanks for input everyone. This is still at least 6-7 months down the line.

I've asked this on a couple of forums. The SV keeps coming up.
Nothing personal, it just doesn't look right. I know what you guys are thinking "poseur".

But I can't help it, I'm a professional artist so aesthetics are very important to me. (coincidentally enough I've seen a lot of custom artist owned ducs) If I was solely interested in performance, I would go 4 inline jap for sure. I'm a big fan of Cafe racers and the Monster is very cafe oriented. The picture I attached is a stripped down cafe version. (artist owned)

On other posts (purposely didn't ask current owners: Duc sites) I've received great reviews on the new crop of better monsters. My local forum is split about 50 50.

One last thing, the monsters are midget friendly, for the vertically challenged like me.

Old January 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #14
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I think the Monsters look great, and seriously looked into them when I was considering using the 250r and a few thousand as a down payment on a new bike, but ultimately realized I'd get much better value with an ER6N or a Gladius.

And I think those bikes look or can be made to look quite good as well:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gladius_black_exhaust_clipons.jpg (68.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg gladius_lowercowl_clipons_blue.jpg (115.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg er6n_orange.jpg (99.4 KB, 2 views)

Old January 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #15
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

If i was going to get a middleweight naked bike, it would be a triumph street triple.

As for as the monster I never really cared for them, if I was to get a duc it we prob be the hypermotard or streetfighter, but I doubt I would get either one as there are other bikes I would rather have.

Like mentioned above look at the er6n, sv650 or even the fz6r
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #16
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I rode a 2010 ducati monster 696 and I really liked it. I'm not the hugest fan of naked bikes though I do like the styling a bit. It had enough power for me, but I felt the ninja handled better and has a better riding position (The bars just seemed in a strange place). I wouldn't get a monster simply because it doesn't appeal to my riding style and my style of bike.
I was thinking I might get an fz6r in the future since I really like the way it sounds and it looks nice.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #17
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

And if you want a naked that's faster than "not very fast," you might look into the Kawasaki Z1000 or the Yamaha FZ1. They should get you into the 150 range. And you can probably find them for around or maybe a couple thousand over the price of a 696

Other than the higher-end Ducatis, I don't know of any current-production Twins that will get you there, as the SV1000 went out a few years ago.

Old January 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #18
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I hear the 2V air cooled are easier to service vs the 4V water cooled. I have also been told that after a couple valve adjustments (7,500 miles) they seem to stay in spec pretty well. The belts will need to be replaced depending on what comes first miles or time. I spoke with someone who has many Ducs and he doesn't always change the belts based on time, but if it was the only bike to ride then things might be different.

Now if you want some real fun get a Bimota Tesi (Duc powered). To work on the valves/belts you must remove the engine from the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008-bimota-tesi-3d_460x0w.jpg (20.7 KB, 3 views)
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #19
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Awww, now you spoiled it. You found a reason not to buy a Tesi. What am I going to do?

Oh and my vote: Street Triple

Old January 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #20
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
no
So then that would make the Ducati the poser bike?
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #21
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Have you thought about buying used. I've been thinking about a monster for my next bike too, but I'd probably go for one of the older models. You can find late 90's model Monsters for sub 3k all day. I'd just look for one thats been maintained properly.

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #22
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
Have you thought about buying used.
Absolutely.... I plan on drastically changing the look of it, so I don't mind going used. The only thing is scary not knowing the history of a bike.

I like the old style single round light a million times more than the current plastic cluster with tiny "barbie" fairing on top.

Someone mentioned street triple... love it, except the seat is higher than a trumpet 696 and that thing is already taller than a dirt bike.

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #23
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I really don't know--you folks probably know better. Around here the majority of bikes designated as Sport Bikes are ridden in a fashion that would have to decrease their longevity. They do wheelies and all sorts of stunts on a regular basis. Most don't address mods like the people do on this forum--which is to achieve balance--e.g.-modify the exhaust and the intake. Here most shove on some noisy muffler and roar down the street rattling windows. They could care less about performance.They wear tank tops and shorts--no helmet. My 08 Ninja was bought new as was my 10 NT-700. Whoever gets my used Ninja will get a bike with no scratches, a Corbin seat, 15T Sprocket (14T under the seat in a plastic bag), ZG Touring Windshield, Moto-Vision Headlight, and a brake light modulator. The tyres (Dunlop 501) and brake pads were a week old. Maintenance was by the book. I think that the dealer is asking $3500. I would not have sold the bike had I not trashed my back a few months ago. I am really skeptical about used sport bikes and used sport/touring bikes. A cruiser would be a different story--but then cruisers leave me a bit cold.

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #24
Flashmonkey

LOL yea you should be a little wary of used sport bikes...but the abused ones would be fairly obvious. It's not like trying to look at a used sports car, where the wear and tear can be hidden easier.

For the most part, very few people out there have the capabilities to abuse a sport bike engine without crashing the bike. So for the most part, you don't need to worry about the engine. Former stunt bikes are the same...you really can't hide the damage there. Bikes used and absued on drag strips or showing off at stop lights....well those issues will show up in the transmission. If you can't test ride the bike get the previous owner to ride it around for you. Just be super thorough and as annoying as you need to be hehe.

Beginner bikes, like our lovely little 250, are what REALLY make me nervous. God only knows when the oil was changed on a 2004 model with only 8000 miles, for example.

For what it's worth...I think a lot of the older 2-valve monsters and the current crop of lower cc monsters are considered beginner bikes....so watch yourself.

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #25
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

+1. I know a guy who bought a new CBR600RR and is always trying to do wheelies and stuff, and has yet to lube the chain in over 3k miles. It's also been down three times, though the first two were minor and he luckily got frame sliders before the worse third one. Sure, if I was going to buy a bike to rag on myself and probably sell the next September when it started getting "too cold" to ride, it would be one thing. But if I were going to keep it for a while and ride it a good bit (like I probably would), I would definitely prefer new.

Old January 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #26
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

I don't think anyone who plans on trashing the bike around, would pay a little extra for the duc brand name. They could get a lot more performance for less.

I've been looking at local bikes on Ebay (just window shopping for the next 6-7 months). They tend to be very low miles, bone stock machines. In Miami I would imagine they are eye candy. Most have very nice driveways or garages. Probably someones toy they don't use much anymore, or want a HD like their buddy.

So far I've heard on other forum that the monsters V-twin is very reliable because it has had such a long shelf life, they have worked out all the kinks.

The rear-sets need to be changed, cause the stock ones suck, and might need to upgrade steering dampener.

Old January 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #27
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
I don't think anyone who plans on trashing the bike around, would pay a little extra for the duc brand name.
I dunno...every time I see one I want to do nasty things to it.

Old January 19th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #28
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

No windscreen on a bike = I'd rather have a screend and fairingd bike.. It is the nicer of the fighters tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #29
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Personally I can't see spending the cash for a new Monster... However, they're dead sexy and the 696 fits me like a glove. The seat's nice and low and sculpted so that it's very easy to flat foot.

I'd pick up a used 696, but my mindset is that I'm going to get the bike I want, regardless of what people think.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #30
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbride11 View Post
However, they're dead sexy and the 696 fits me like a glove. The seat's nice and low and sculpted so that it's very easy to flat foot.
Nailed it

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #31
tsiratiug
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2010 Ninja 250R SE (SOLD), 2002 Honda Rebel

I'd love to have a Baby Monster one day. It's been on my short list for a while.

Bonus for me - it's my wife's favorite bike (she thinks they're cute) so the begging will be greatly reduced when new bike time comes around.
tsiratiug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #32
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Read the Duc forums regarding reliability and maintenance. Bikes are an emotional thing, if its the one that stirs your soul go for it. It was my first pick out of three bikes the day I traded my 250R but I moved it off my list first just because I wanted Japanese reliability and a bike with fairings.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #33
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Someone mentioned street triple... love it, except the seat is higher than a trumpet 696 and that thing is already taller than a dirt bike.
My bad, I was thinking Speed Triple. I always confuse them, yes the "Street Triple" is an option, The seat on that one is actually just 1.5 inches higher than the ninjette.

Going to have to revisit the monster idea, now that I'm aware of the little trumpet!

Old January 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #34
Flashmonkey

Quote:
My bad, I was thinking Speed Triple. I always confuse them, yes the "Street Triple" is an option, The seat on that one is actually just 1.5 inches higher than the ninjette.

Going to have to revisit the monster idea, now that I'm aware of the little trumpet!
If you get a chance to, try and get a demo ride in for either bike...or both preferably.