ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old June 20th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
[NSFW] Rider Almost Rear Ended At Lights (F****** D*** H***)

Link to original page on YouTube.

Clearly the 4x4 driver is at fault and the rider could've taken action to ensure that his life wasn't in the other drivers hands... but... this whole situation is facilitated by traffic lights.

See: Traffic Lights: Are They Needed?

A massive intersection near where I work had all 4 sets of traffic lights offline last week. It was the first time I rode up to and through that intersection without stopping. It also felt completely safe. No one caught up with me so I didn't have the heightened concern of being rear-ended. Everyone was slowing up for the junction and traffic flowed smoothly. Personally I'd prefer a round-a-bout there, but I'd take an intersection with dead lights any day over a light-controlled intersection (on a 30mph road at least. On a 50mph road... nope!)

Enjoy the Geordie accent?! (people from the North East of England (map) often sound like that)

Old June 20th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #2
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Range rover anticipated bike stopping and moved over but still had to make a quick swerved to avoided the bike. I think he buzzed him closer then necessary to intimidate the rider. Rider learned the right lesson, do not push yellows.

The rider also had it right that sorry is not good enough. I hope I can keep as calm.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #3
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

We all make mistakes driving. I don't understand why some riders get so mad at cars. Sure they made a mistake but the thing is the car driver had a good reaction that prevented the crash.

Old June 20th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
He kept on saying "us"? "Could've ran us over"? I thought he was carrying a passenger for a second,but saw the shadow on the ground. Did I hear him wrong?

Old June 20th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #5
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
He kept on saying "us"? "Could've ran us over"? I thought he was carrying a passenger for a second,but saw the shadow on the ground. Did I hear him wrong?
ha ha - nope. You heard right. That's part of the Geordie way of speaking. "Us" = "me". Scottish people often say "us" like that too.

Old June 20th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i mean... that was the motorcyclists fault... obvious the rover was tailgating. and then the bike decides to slam on it. and then runs a reddie after!
"its not good enough" -> RIDERS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #7
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i mean... that was the motorcyclists fault... obvious the rover was tailgating. and then the bike decides to slam on it. and then runs a reddie after!
"its not good enough" -> RIDERS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
Whether a rider could've avoided a situation and whether the rider is at fault are two separate things. It's pretty obvious (to me) that the rider could've avoided that situation in a number of different ways and as you put it: the rider is "not good enough".

I think it's pretty unambiguously the cager's fault though. You're always responsible for not driving into the vehicle that's travelling in front of you. This is partly biologically determined. We have eyes in front, but not behind. We can only be looking in one direction at a time (front or back). Most of our focus is and should be in front. The law in the UK reflects this principle.

The driver of the cage even accepted and acknowledged his fault (though... he could have been fearing for his safety, so maybe he just said what he thought the rider wanted to hear).

I know the distinction might seem meaningless (who cares who's at fault... the rider looses either way), but I think it's still important for things like solving legal disputes and mentally processing the moral implications: If the cager killed the rider, then the cager needs to know and understand that it's entirely his fault and he should not ever drive like that again. The lesson learned by the cager will likely also be learned by people in his family and community. Empathetic people will adjust their behaviour (for the better) based on things like this.

Likewise, in some scenarios, it's very important for people to know when they're not at fault. Example: I'm driving a car and I indicate to turn off the road I'm travelling on. I check it's clear to turn across the oncoming lane and then proceed. Between the time I check it's clear and the time I begin my turn, a biker appears going three times the speed limit and smashes into the side of my car. The biker dies. In this scenario, it would not be my fault. I should not feel guilt. I do not owe the biker's family any restitution. In a reasonable legal system, I would not be convicted of any crime.

TL;DR rider needs to improve his skillz in order to survive on the road. Cager is a fault (in a moral sense). Morality is important!

Old June 20th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
but my point is... the rover DIDNT hit him, even though the biker slammed on his brakes after showing signs that he wasn't going to. that rover was at fault for tailgating sure... wanting to get through the light with the bike... the biker could have known this if he was paying attention and if he was, he wouldn't have slammed on his brakes for seemingly no reason. the biker looked like he was going to go through the yellow, then changed his mind last minute for basically no reason, and the rover couldn't stop in time so he avoided it. had the rover hit him, definitely in the eyes of insurance it would have been the rovers fault. in reality, the biker could have seen a danger and could have avoided the danger... but didn't avoid it. in fact, the biker CAUSED the danger by acting as if he was going to go through, then last minute deciding differently. not only that, but afterward, the biker got butthurt, and did a whole bunch of illegal **** including passing where he shouldn't, intentionally slowing for no reason to back someone up, road rage, and then running a red light.

Old June 20th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
really though that traffic light changed to red ridiculously fast.

Old June 20th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I am with alex.s in this one.
Anticipation, which is part of a good riding strategy, is the key here.
Intersections are the most dangerous places for riders and landing on one without a previous research and a plan is close to suicide.

First thing I do while approaching a light, riding or driving, is assessing the situation behind me via my mirrors.

If the green has been on long enough, I start dragging my brake and slowing down as gradually as possible, again checking whether or not the driver following me "gets it".

If he/she does get that I am slowing down foreseeing a yellow light, and slows down as well; then I focus on the timing of the light and the left turners and red runners and move onto the left of my lane just in case he/she decides running it going around me.

If he/she does not get it, that car becomes my biggest threat and I either change lanes or run the yellow light with the educated guess that the left turner will not jump in front of the car tailgating me.

The rider should have invested 10% of the energy he passionately wasted after the mishap in anticipation.

"Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time." - George Bernard Shaw

Perhaps this rider will eventually learn that, for survival purposes, post-tantrums don't work as well as riding strategy and skills and protective gear.

Good video and discussion, Akima !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 11:39 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Idiots. BOTH of them. He wasn't making things better by confronting the apologetic driver but he was doing a lot of unnecessary things that could end badly.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 01:12 PM   #12
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

I only watched a little bit of it but I don't see what the Range Rover did that he was screaming about?

He slammed on his brakes for a yellow, the guy obviously thought there was no way he could have stopped so he went around him through the light and didn't hit him. Then the guy on the bike thinks it's a good idea to chase him down and start some **** lol?

That's how you get killed on a bike, if you can't let crap like that go you shouldn't be riding.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 04:17 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
I only watched a little bit of it but I don't see what the Range Rover did that he was screaming about?

He slammed on his brakes for a yellow, the guy obviously thought there was no way he could have stopped so he went around him through the light and didn't hit him. Then the guy on the bike thinks it's a good idea to chase him down and start some **** lol?

That's how you get killed on a bike, if you can't let crap like that go you shouldn't be riding.
The SUV driver should not have been following so closely that he couldn't react to that but it still doesn't excuse the biker's reaction. They are both idiots. One is a common mistake caused by over-confidence and relaxed expectations while the other mistake is inexcusably moronic behavior.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 04:29 PM   #14
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
The SUV driver should not have been following so closely that he couldn't react to that but it still doesn't excuse the biker's reaction. They are both idiots. One is a common mistake caused by over-confidence and relaxed expectations while the other mistake is inexcusably moronic behavior.
He did react though, he swerved out of the way. The biker is lucky he isn't DEAD. I tend to not make a habit of slamming on my brakes at a late yellow with an SUV behind me on my bike. I would have gone through the light honestly.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 07:35 PM   #15
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Same here. If someone is tailgating me, I'll run the red. Even if I know I'll be runing it after it turns red for 2 or 3 seconds, I'll still run it. Sometimes they follow me, other times they stop.

But I rather get a red light ticket than to stay in a hospital. Hopefully I'll get lucky and get an officer that rides....maybe he'll understand.

Old June 23rd, 2015, 07:06 AM   #16
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

I always run yellow lights in traffic. I think it is more ike that. no matter what im driving or riding, I always try to have the least amount of erratic behavior. I never nail the brakes to make a turn im about to miss. I would hate for the person behind me to not be mindful me be the one paying for their mistake. I think its funny the rider is crying about the suit running a yellow, and he ends up guilty of the same thing within minutes
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2015, 07:12 AM   #17
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Always pay attention to the lights and slow if it has been green for a while before you come to the light, watch in the distance. Most know people run orange(yellow/red) lights. Either commit to running it or slow before getting to it. If the person behind him would have ran into him then it would be their fault for tailgating. Luckily the car was paying attention and adverted running his arse over. I hate people who slam their brakes cause they can't decide if they want to run the light or stop. It's as annoying as a person turning and then putting their turn signal on after.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2015, 07:31 AM   #18
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Always pay attention to the lights and slow if it has been green for a while before you come to the light, watch in the distance. .
Only if you are 10+ over the posted speed limit, yes slow to the speed limit. Yellows are timed to give you plenty of time to stop before turning red (for the posted speed).

If you can stop easaly for a yellow then stop. If you need to brake hard then you are speeding and asking to be rear ended. Or you are being indecisive and asking to be rear ended. Or you will be running reds which is better then being rear ended but does open you up to being T-boned.

We need to dump all traffic light and change to roundabouts.

JMHO

Old June 23rd, 2015, 07:48 AM   #19
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Only if you are 10+ over the posted speed limit, yes slow to the speed limit. Yellows are timed to give you plenty of time to stop before turning red (for the posted speed).

If you can stop easily for a yellow then stop. If you need to brake hard then you are speeding and asking to be rear ended. Or you are being indecisive and asking to be rear ended. Or you will be running reds which is better then being rear ended but does open you up to being T-boned.

We need to dump all traffic light and change to roundabouts.

JMHO
Reminds me of a red light I came to, when in College, went from green to red and completely missed yellow. Got rear ended, lightly, and when we pulled over to check damage the person who hit me and I were just both like what the hell was that about.

Spoiler for topic:

Old June 23rd, 2015, 07:59 AM   #20
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Reminds me of a red light I came to, when in College, went from green to red and completely missed yellow. Got rear ended, lightly, and when we pulled over to check damage the person who hit me and I were just both like what the hell was that about.
My 1.2 million miles on the road I have never had that happen to me. If I were the guy that hit you I would be suing the city.

Do you now approach every light as if that will happen?

Old June 23rd, 2015, 08:05 AM   #21
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
My 1.2 million miles on the road I have never had that happen to me. If I were the guy that hit you I would be suing the city.

Do you now approach every light as if that will happen?
It was the only time it happened to me. And I always went through that light when commuting to college. No, I usually either have enough time to stop or run the orange light, I'm committed by then. The guy had a cracked front bumper and barely did anything to my car, cavilers are tough lil things.

Spoiler for topic: