Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
11 Second Vid | Lane Splitting Crash | Reminder To Slow Before Gaps

Link to original page on YouTube.

The rider made this comment beneath his video:

Quote:
Car just pull over with no indicator flashing. Also he clearly didn't look in his mirrors or check his blind spot as he was crossing over.
I get the sense from that comment that he expects drivers to do the right thing and therefore wasn't accounting for drivers that aren't doing the right thing in his decision making.

If I had made the video my comment would have been:
Quote:
My speed was too high to allow me to stop when the driver suddenly changed lanes into the visible gap. Next time I see a gap like that, I'll make sure I'm going slow enough that I can emergency stop if a car suddenly changes lanes. I'll also keep my brake lever covered as I pass the car so I can more quickly start applying braking force.
Look after yourselves!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 19th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yep- a gap like that is PRIME for someone to change lanes into it. Without looking or signalling. Happens all the time.

This is why a person needs to be careful and watch out. And not go too fast.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I get the sense from that comment that he expects drivers to do the right thing and therefore wasn't accounting for drivers that aren't doing the right thing in his decision making.
I've had low-level arguments about this with guys who think I'm being overly cautious when I do things like slow down before passing someone in the opposite lane who waiting to make a left turn across my path. I slow down to a speed that I believe would allow me to stop or swerve out of the way when he doesn't see me and goes. The arguing guy believes that at some point you just have to "commit and go", or you'd end up yielding to everyone, all the time, and of course that's not true.

In this case, I don't think it's reasonable to think that the car driver should have seen him. If I were in a lane splitting situation, I think it would be reasonable to assume that none of the other drivers around me would notice me. And not just because they're bad drivers, more like because they've had a lot of driving when lane splitting wasn't allowed, and their brains are not programmed for it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #4
CaliGrrl

People here in CA are mostly aware that lane splitting is a thing, though you're right that most of them aren't watching for it necessarily.

I do assume they don't see me coming up on them. This is why I don't split very fast.

I don't think you're "overly" cautious about people who might cross your path when they shouldn't. Yes, you may yield more than the other guy thinks you "should" but that's ok. I do, too. Even when I'm driving a car, I yield to the other guy when it keeps me out of trouble. Yeah, technically it might be my right-of-way, but I'm not going to argue it and scratch my car or get me hurt.

Old June 19th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Yeah, technically it might be my right-of-way, but I'm not going to argue it and scratch my car or get me hurt.
And the problem is, of course, that a motorcycle rider's life can end very quickly because of something as silly as the car driver not noticing him coming.

Old June 19th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

1. He was going too fast.
2. He didn't slow down when there was a gap on the left.
3. He failed to notice the wheel of the car was turned towards the gap.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #7
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
And the problem is, of course, that a motorcycle rider's life can end very quickly because of something as silly as the car driver not noticing him coming.
Yep. Had it happen here frequently. Too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
1. He was going too fast.
2. He didn't slow down when there was a gap on the left.
3. He failed to notice the wheel of the car was turned towards the gap.
All true. I knew it was a crash-vid, but as soon as I saw that gap on the left, I knew how this would go.

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Is it just me? Or did his reaction-time seem kinda slow?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I think you're right, Danno. It looks like if he had been expecting the unexpected, he could have just steered left quickly and ended up in front of the car that "caused" the problem. But his speed made it extra difficult to pull off an evasive maneuver.

Old June 20th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #10
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I've had low-level arguments about this with guys who think I'm being overly cautious when I do things like slow down before passing someone in the opposite lane who waiting to make a left turn across my path. I slow down to a speed that I believe would allow me to stop or swerve out of the way when he doesn't see me and goes. The arguing guy believes that at some point you just have to "commit and go", or you'd end up yielding to everyone, all the time, and of course that's not true.
We're on the same page.

A while back Motofool said something which led me to the epiphany that there aren't really any fixed-states or static-moments when riding. I get my best flow and feel at my safest when I am in a constant state of flux. Every moment the situation changes -- the road surface, the road angles, the traffic, the potential dangers, the escape routes -- so every moment I am adjusting my speed and position on the road. I don't see this process as constant yielding, I see it as continual adjustment to my surroundings... and it feels good!

Ok... maybe I wouldn't be constantly adjusting on this road:

We don't get those kind of roads over here though anyway

Quote:
In this case, I don't think it's reasonable to think that the car driver should have seen him. If I were in a lane splitting situation, I think it would be reasonable to assume that none of the other drivers around me would notice me. And not just because they're bad drivers, more like because they've had a lot of driving when lane splitting wasn't allowed, and their brains are not programmed for it.
Absolutely! I remember that before I started riding I never had any awareness of bikers when driving a car. I was always checking my mirrors and shoulder checking before turning, but I didn't have bikers in my mind as a particular type of hazard. At the time I didn't know any bikers, I hadn't ridden before and no-one had ever mentioned to me the special considerations a driver should make for bikers. I don't think I was alone. I think many -- perhaps even most -- drivers just don't have bikers on their radar. Pedestrians too. I now always make a special effort to check for lane splitting bikers when walking through tight traffic, whereas I never used to. (we don't have "J-walking" laws over here... we cross the road at any point when we sense it is safe)

Old June 20th, 2017, 08:44 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
I think you're right, Danno. It looks like if he had been expecting the unexpected, he could have just steered left quickly and ended up in front of the car that "caused" the problem. But his speed made it extra difficult to pull off an evasive maneuver.
Agreed! There's always a path around the offending vehicle. There's been times I've had to squeeze onto the white line next to the barricade. But if you can't make the lateral move in time to avoid contact, you were going too fast for the conditions and your abilities. Parking lot practice really helps with this zig-zagging maneuvers and quick firm steering inputs.

Here's another vid, skip ahead about 1-min.

Old June 20th, 2017, 09:35 AM   #12
DannoXYZ

Here's another one. I used to do this commute daily when I worked at Gilead.