Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 31st, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Anger Management

Since it is so much more critical for motorcyclists to control our emotions than for typical cagers, I wanted to share this simple technique I just learned.

When cages come after us, cut us off, tailgate, etc., rather than seeing them as a person, picture them as an inanimate object or even an animal. This removes the "it's personal" feeling.

If you think about it, how many people get pissed off at a dear because it nearly missed you.... we know it is in its nature, so we take evasive action, change our pants, and then share our experience on forums like this, but we don't expend unnecessary energy being angry, trying to prove something or get back at the dear. It makes good sense.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2009, 08:41 PM   #2
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

So the guy that just cut you off you picture his head on a donkey, the lady tail gating an alligator with her head, and the jerk, I mean person, that is using their lane and yours you put their head on a pig.

I love it.

Old October 31st, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
So the guy that just cut you off you picture his head on a donkey, the lady tail gating an alligator with her head, and the jerk, I mean person, that is using their lane and yours you put their head on a pig.

I love it.
LOL - Why not, whatever works.

Old October 31st, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Majik
ninjette.org member

Name: Connie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R RED!

Now, thatsa funny! But, it just may work. However, I do see a couple of probs with it. #1.) I'm scared that I'd start laughing so hard that I'd wreck and #2.) Since I would laugh out loud and not be hidden in my cage, I would be worried that the other drivers on the road would think ( ) I was a nutjob. In a cage, you can get away with it more because of the radio and all. But then again if they think I'm a nutjob, then maybe they'll keep plenty of distance from me.

Old October 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM   #5
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
Now, thatsa funny! But, it just may work. However, I do see a couple of probs with it. #1.) I'm scared that I'd start laughing so hard that I'd wreck and #2.) Since I would laugh out loud and not be hidden in my cage, I would be worried that the other drivers on the road would think ( ) I was a nutjob. In a cage, you can get away with it more because of the radio and all. But then again if they think I'm a nutjob, then maybe they'll keep plenty of distance from me.
Yes, but you would be successfully managing your anger

Old October 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM   #6
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Yes! sometime I need a session. Thanks for the tip.

and I am probably the only one who thinks this comic is really really funny. Some of us are old enough to remember the tennis player with anger management issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mgtn43l.jpg (27.6 KB, 3 views)

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:05 AM   #7
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

I just see them as another human being...and fallible. I do drive a car too.

Just gotta say, my feeling is that the main contributing factor to 'road rage' is that we look at other cars, as CARS, not as people....

Do not ever forget, that the guy in that car may have a family, too, hell, he may even ride a bike from time to time...

See them as objects? Animals? Rearry? That's messed up...
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2009, 02:12 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've seen people take out their anger on inanimate objects before.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2009, 03:42 AM   #9
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I just see them as another human being...and fallible. I do drive a car too.

Just gotta say, my feeling is that the main contributing factor to 'road rage' is that we look at other cars, as CARS, not as people....

Do not ever forget, that the guy in that car may have a family, too, hell, he may even ride a bike from time to time...

See them as objects? Animals? Rearry? That's messed up...
I'd have to go along with what he said...

"s*** happens", quite possibly the greatest words ever spoken if you ask me.
What someone else does is completely out of your control, so why dwell on it and let it get to you?
People make mistakes, no one is perfect.

Every time I have a close call with a car while on my bike,
I don't think "that arfing arffer mother arf of a arffing arf" etc etc.
Instead I think of how I could have avoided that situation. What I could have done better and so on.

I think you should read this topic I started here,
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20350
Somewhat relates to this topic, or at least related to what is (imo) part of the solution.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2009, 06:56 AM   #10
shellneil
ninjette.org member

Name: shellneil

Motorcycle(s): 1999 kawasaki ninja zx6r

i always picture there face as a hairy a$$ then i just laugh about it
shellneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM   #11
headshrink

I know people make mistakes, but my point was that since sometimes people are arseholes, it is difficult to think of an elephant as an arse.... you just want to get out of its way as fast as you can.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM   #12
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Honestly people in the office or at home are much worse than some of the people on the road. Being on the road is almost like meditation in comparison to the office!

Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM   #13
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

that works for me too, might as well be a log I just avoided, eventually they turn or pass or what ever,
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Pretend their is a button on your handlebar that shoots weapons, press it and feel free to make shooting sounds in your head. "Goose I'm switching to guns!"
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Don't go "Maverick" on us!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Haha - and no buzzing the tower.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM   #17
headshrink

Eject, eject, eject!

Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #18
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Just put a babyseat on the back of your bike & brake check 'em.

JK. I look at them, and let it go. Not worth getting worked up over. I guess I just don't really have a temper when I'm on the bike. Just chill out and think about how good the wind feels and what a great view I have, sing a song, pray (in case that's your thing), try to inject humor into it. Whatever puts me in a happy place.
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #19
headshrink

People seem pretty chill here. Maybe KF would benefit a little more from some anger management.... they seem to get their knickers in a bunch pretty easily over there

Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM   #20
LuxMundi
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R Black

Last week, a truck passed me on the right, in a temporary turn lane. Of course, 1/4 mile later, traffic jammed up at a red light. So instead of ignoring him, I split the lane, passed, and threw the bike into the small space between him and the car in front. This was a dangerous move itself, but then I realized.... I'm stuck in front of a crazy? person, who I basically "flipped off".
If his foot "slipped" off the brake, I could have a mashed bike, broken legs, etc, not to mention that it is legal to carry a loaded pistol here, and most people do.

Guess I need to work on anger management!
LuxMundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM   #21
backinthesaddleagain

OK so today I didn't do my typical pretending to blast them from an imaginary machine gun button on my handlebar (prior post). I am at a redlight heading back to work from lunch. I am first car in right lane (can go right after intersection or straight), BMW 5 series in left (only) lane. Light turns green, no one coming other way to cross my path so I go. Next thing BMW is merging into my lane. Guess he didn't see me since he had his cell on the right side of his face. I beep, he sees me and accelerates. Like an idiot I out accelerate him and watch him in my mirror. There are 3 right driveways coming up, first is Dunkin donuts, next 2 are my office park. He goes into DD, I take right into my office park, circle back through connector road into DD, and figure I will confront him now that he is not behind me, but probably in drive thru lane. I guess is all worked out for the best as he was gone. Who knows where emotions would have led.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:37 PM   #22
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
OK so today I didn't do my typical pretending to blast them from an imaginary machine gun button on my handlebar (prior post). I am at a redlight heading back to work from lunch. I am first car in right lane (can go right after intersection or straight), BMW 5 series in left (only) lane. Light turns green, no one coming other way to cross my path so I go. Next thing BMW is merging into my lane. Guess he didn't see me since he had his cell on the right side of his face. I beep, he sees me and accelerates. Like an idiot I out accelerate him and watch him in my mirror. There are 3 right driveways coming up, first is Dunkin donuts, next 2 are my office park. He goes into DD, I take right into my office park, circle back through connector road into DD, and figure I will confront him now that he is not behind me, but probably in drive thru lane. I guess is all worked out for the best as he was gone. Who knows where emotions would have led.
It is not worth trying to confront an elephant.... it just won't understand you.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #23
backinthesaddleagain

Now if I had the destroyer engine listed in another post I could have destroyed him.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM   #24
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Anger Managment, what is this Anger managment you speak of ......

It depends the day. Having a nice day, I blow it off but if i'm wound up, forget it. They see the red in my eyes in their rear view mirror and I'll usually pull beside them and stare them down. But that's once in a blue moon.

Like something that got me that pissed off was a lady on her cellphone that would have t-boned me because she ran a red light. Lucky for me I always look both ways before moving from a green. So I caught up with her got about 2 inches from her bumper, waved to get her attention backed off and gave her about every hand gesture in the book. I'm sure she was shitting bricks. Anyways, got my anger out and backed off.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote