Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Leg Protection in Summer

Was just wondering this..

I'm gonna come right out and say it, the idea of wearing shorts on my bike on a nice warm day sounds like a swell time. Warm breeze licking the skin and all that.

Obviously if I fell in just shorts I don't think I would care how nice the breeze felt when I later find myself getting skin grafted from my ass onto my knee/shin/calf.

My question is...

Is there any way to utilize riding armor such as armored shorts underneath your shorts for hip/thigh/tailbone protection, knee/shin protectors and appropriate riding shoes to achieve a good level of protection in a fall while wearing shorts?

Obviously there are a ton of variables at play here such as how fast you are going, how you fell, etc. But lets say you were going on a short ride, keeping it to 30 mph on back roads to a friend's house and wanted to wear shorts instead of jeans or full riding pants.

Would you feel safe wearing shorts with riding armor such as the previously mentioned items?
YamiLionheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:02 PM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Let me see if I got this right...You want to wear protection from your hip to thigh and from knee to shin, so the only exposed area would be the back of your lower leg and calf?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Sweat on my legs sounds better than no skin on my legs.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:22 PM   #4
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

So I suppose that would be a vote of not good enough? Haha.

And yeah blue, that would pretty much be the extent of exposure. Not sure if that's an area that would commonly be hitting/sliding on the ground in a fall.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:23 PM   #5
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14

antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #6
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

I would think it would definitely be better protection than just a pair of jeans for most falls. No shattered knees, busted tailbone, all the hard impact areas are covered.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:34 PM   #7
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Example gear:

Knee/Shin Protector:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...ker-knee-guard

Undershort Armor Thigh/Hip/Tailbone:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...reeride-shorts

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:35 PM   #8
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I have previous ridden with shorts and strap on leg armor, but it's not something I plan to ever do again. Way too exposed and very little abrasion resistance. Thankfully nothing ever happened. Most armored shorts are intended to be worn under something with abrasion resistance and have none of their own. You could possibly prevent breaking on impact, but then you'd likely get road rash anyway. If it were me, I would get some lightweight, probably mesh, overpants to throw on top of shorts and still wear armored shorts underneath.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
xSean13

armored shorts:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...reeride-shorts

knee/shin guards:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...ker-knee-guard

What are you going to do about boots? Leg abrasions aren't the only thing that will occur in a crash. A foot/ankle injury would be more concerning imo.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:44 PM   #10
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I have previous ridden with shorts and strap on leg armor, but it's not something I plan to ever do again. Way too exposed and very little abrasion resistance. Thankfully nothing ever happened. Most armored shorts are intended to be worn under something with abrasion resistance and have none of their own. You could possibly prevent breaking on impact, but then you'd likely get road rash anyway. If it were me, I would get some lightweight, probably mesh, overpants to throw on top of shorts and still wear armored shorts underneath.
Thank you for the first helpful reply

Sounds like with the mesh overpants you'd still get a fair amount of airflow too, which is the balance point of enjoying the weather but still having decent protection I was trying to hit with this post.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:45 PM   #11
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Sean I'm glad you took enough interest to make that meme for me

Unless someone really already made one like that, which would be surprising!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:50 PM   #12
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
What are you going to do about boots? Leg abrasions aren't the only thing that will occur in a crash. A foot/ankle injury would be more concerning imo.
Boot wise maybe one of the lower riding boots like these?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...1-riding-shoes

They'd cover the anklebone and feet from injury. Not as great protection as a full boot obviously, but better than a pair of workboots or worse sneakers or worse flipflops

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:58 PM   #13
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Those don't appear to be perforated. You'll probably do better on ventilation getting a full boot that's perforated. I used to wear a pair of un-perforated S-MX 2s and they pretty much don't ventilate at all. Granted, it was great for cold/rainy days but probably not what you're looking for.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiLionheart View Post
....Not sure if that's an area that would commonly be hitting/sliding on the ground in a fall.
That area probably wouldn't receive much injury, just keep in mind that every layer you have on, is a layer of skin that you potentially save. Sometimes stuff happens and when it does it can totally ruin a swell time.

I get that having the air blowing on you is refreshing and invigorating and all that, but a little sweat is not a bad thing, especially when you're engaging in one of the most potentially dangerous sports in the world.

One of the things that they teach you in dessert warfare/survival is leave your clothes on. (A common mistake made by inexperienced people in the desert, is wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts. Loose fitting long sleeves and pants provide good air circulation and much better protection than sunblock.)

The most important thing to do is stay hydrated. Also remember moisture is a good thing. Keeping a little moisture close to the skin helps the body stay cool whether it is dry heat or humid heat. The body will try to balance itself for the conditions. Wearing a wicking layer of clothing is recommended, although it may seem too hot, it is actually effective. (remember the Arabs, they wear layers) Cotton t-shirts have been shown to be OK, but not as good. I wear a long sleeve and long under armor like pants.

This wicking layer is enough to protect me from heat from the bike, engine and radiant heat from the road surface and other vehicles. The moisture from my body's own sweat stays close to my body and provides a nice cooling affect, not so much sitting still, but better than nothing. Start moving and it's instant A/C.

So for me, being fully covered only makes sense.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:03 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
I would think it would definitely be better protection than just a pair of jeans for most falls. No shattered knees, busted tailbone, all the hard impact areas are covered.
A little bit of information never killed anybody :

http://roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

http://roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/91.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:04 PM   #16
xSean13

I wore my perforated leather jacket, perforated boots, gloves, etc when it was 90+ last summer and they flowed air well, so I didn't get excessively hot, until it was 115...and then it was just like riding in an oven and would have been even worse with bare skin exposed.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:12 PM   #17
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
I wore my perforated leather jacket, perforated boots, gloves, etc when it was 90+ last summer and they flowed air well, so I didn't get excessively hot, until it was 115...and then it was just like riding in an oven and would have been even worse with bare skin exposed.
Oh yeah, almost forgot about that part. Getting a sunburn while riding would definitely not keep you cool

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:21 PM   #18
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Quote:
Sweat on my legs sounds better than no skin on my legs.
I personally believe in dressing for the crash, not the ride, but the armour puts you one step ahead of the squids in just shorts.

Quote:
Oh yeah, almost forgot about that part. Getting a sunburn while riding would definitely not keep you cool
Clothing can insulate AGAINST the heat as much as is can against the cold. Why do you think desert dwellers are traditionally covered from head to toe?

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #19
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Those don't appear to be perforated. You'll probably do better on ventilation getting a full boot that's perforated. I used to wear a pair of un-perforated S-MX 2s and they pretty much don't ventilate at all. Granted, it was great for cold/rainy days but probably not what you're looking for.
Most of the reviews say they flow air pretty well. But I suppose that's all opinion anyway.

If full riding/race boots were worn, I think that you wouldn't be able to use the knee/shin protectors then, as they would probably clash at some point on the shin. Also wearing boots that tall with shorts would probably look somewhat silly as well :P

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:35 PM   #20
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
One of the things that they teach you in dessert warfare/survival is leave your clothes on. (A common mistake made by inexperienced people in the desert, is wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts. Loose fitting long sleeves and pants provide good air circulation and much better protection than sunblock.)
That's a good point about the extra care I'd have to take for sun protection for longer rides. Was not something I had considered.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:38 PM   #21
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Very informative, I was actually looking for information like this so this was helpful

Somewhat backs up what I was thinking of critical protection areas being around the knees. Upper legs seem to be spared the majority of damage in comparison.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #22
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That is really freakin' hot lol. Luckily long island typically doesn't get above the high 90s and into 100 save for maybe a couple days in the peak of summer.

This summer will be my first summer riding, so I guess I'll get to decide for myself how hot it really is riding with full coverage and If I want to risk leaving bits of my skin uncovered for only a slight bit more air circulation.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:43 PM   #23
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Most of the reviews say they flow air pretty well. But I suppose that's all opinion anyway.

If full riding/race boots were worn, I think that you wouldn't be able to use the knee/shin protectors then, as they would probably clash at some point on the shin. Also wearing boots that tall with shorts would probably look somewhat silly as well :P
I wear full racing boots with strap-on leg armor lol.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:09 PM   #24
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
I personally believe in dressing for the crash, not the ride, but the armour puts you one step ahead of the squids in just shorts.
That's what I was aiming for. Still squiddish, but not full on squid. Maybe it'll be considered crabbing? Crabs have some armor right? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
Clothing can insulate AGAINST the heat as much as is can against the cold. Why do you think desert dwellers are traditionally covered from head to toe?
It usually doesn't reach desert temps here on long island but I get the idea. Just going to have to see how everything feels once it starts warming up and decide then. Pretty sure it's below freezing outside right now so I got some time

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:14 PM   #25
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I wear full racing boots with strap-on leg armor lol.
You must look like a mechwarrior armed to the teeth for combat at that point

Probably looks pretty badass actually...

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:17 PM   #26
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
You must look like a mechwarrior armed to the teeth for combat at that point

Probably looks pretty badass actually...
Nahhh, all covered up with overpants (armor in pants removed). Either way, I have a weird setup with the boots covered up with jeans, then the leg armor on top of that, then the overpants I used to wear jeans with short boots and the leg armor strapped on the outside of my jeans though cuz the jeans were too tight for the armor to go under.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:25 PM   #27
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nahhh, all covered up with overpants (armor in pants removed). Either way, I have a weird setup with the boots covered up with jeans, then the leg armor on top of that, then the overpants I used to wear jeans with short boots and the leg armor strapped on the outside of my jeans though cuz the jeans were too tight for the armor to go under.
Sounds like your legs are covered then. Lots of abrasion resistance + the armor for impact.

You ever go just jeans with the armor on top and no overpants? I was considering that as an option for cooler days if I did go the leg armor route. A nice looking set of leg armor probably wouldn't look too silly over jeans.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:35 PM   #28
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Like I said above, I used to. I got the overpants and the full boots at the same time so I've worn them together since. Many close calls and the general horrible drivers around here have made me believe more strongly in ATGATT since I began riding. The only stuff I might skimp on now is stuff that would require a bathroom to put on/take off, like armored shorts. I would just get some sort of ventilated overpants later on if I really needed it.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:43 PM   #29
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I would never wear anything but fully armored pants -- Thursday just validates my instincts. Have you investigated perf leather? So long as you're not sitting still I find the perf is plenty breezy.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:46 PM   #30
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

I'm seconding the perforated leather. Or thirding, or whatever. Perforated leather with CE armor is nice, cool enough, and I actually get cold in them when I'm riding, sometimes, even with pants on underneath (I have to wear them as overpants, because I'm tiny, and they're still big on me).
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #31
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I would never wear anything but fully armored pants -- Thursday just validates my instincts. Have you investigated perf leather? So long as you're not sitting still I find the perf is plenty breezy.
I haven't yet. Only pants I really glanced at were the mesh overpant kind that Rebecca was talking about above.

Seems that leathers generally are pretty pricey. But I suppose after being in a crash paying an extra hundred for much better abrasion resistance would seem like a no brainer right?

Plus leather is sexy so there's always that added bonus if I go that route

Old February 24th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #32
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
I haven't yet. Only pants I really glanced at were the mesh overpant kind that Rebecca was talking about above.

Seems that leathers generally are pretty pricey. But I suppose after being in a crash paying an extra hundred for much better abrasion resistance would seem like a no brainer right?

Plus leather is sexy so there's always that added bonus if I go that route
hehe -- so I have the ladies version of these -- http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...-leather-pants -- which I wear basically every day. I love them. I'd suggest you pick up some febreeze and some long underwear (not thermal obviously, just something between you and the pants) since they aren't machine washable if you go with something similar.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #33
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Those look awesome. Probably really comfortable and breathable with that mesh. They are a good chunk of change though that's the only thing. I guess if they last a long time though then it's a good investment.

Another option that I previously wasn't thinking about so thanks!

And thanks to everyone else as well who threw in their 2 cents.