ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Glasses and motorcycling

So, those of you who wear glasses for vision correction- any tips? I have a really bad lazy eye and have to wear prism lenses (read: nice big geeky glasses, woo!) or my eye crosses constantly.

The big thing that's bugging me so far is that line in my peripheral vision from the edge of the lenses when I'm trying to check my blind spot. I'm going to go check out some different frame styles and see if I can find one that's better, but was wondering if anyone had gone through the same experience.

Also, any tips in general for foggy glasses, keeping them clean, what you take along on a ride for smudges, that sort of thing?
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #2
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I wear glasses for riding too - I find them a pain but contact dry out on my eyes too much (esp with wind from riding). To keep them fog free I sometimes spray them with some Bob Heath Anti Visor spray (make sure this doesn't affect any coatings you have on the lens) plus I use a pinlock insert in my visor which seems to help. Blind spot wise you just have to find a way of moving your head that means you maximise peripheral vision - getting larger lens for riding might be an idea though but I haven't tried that yet..

Old May 17th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #3
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I wear contacts... But usually use sunglasses... To combat that I turn my head a bit more to check my blinds, and make full use of my mirrors.

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #4
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I have a few pairs of glasses but the one pair that work the best each lenz is 3/4 inch high and nearly 2 inch wide they fit best in the helmet

Steve

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I don't have specific tips for riding, but I can chime in on the peripheral vision and frame style bit.

I've been wearing glasses for 45 years now so I've got a fair bit of experience with this stuff.

1) My current pair has roughly rectangular lenses that are very wide and not very high. I have never in my life had better peripheral vision while wearing glasses.

The caveat here is that your prescription is really going to have a dramatic impact on your peripheral vision. I can't comment on that.

FYI, my prescription is straightforward but extreme....I'm very farsighted (diopter +6.5 on the right, +7.5 on the left, with an additional +1.5 bifocal boost on both sides).

2) How your frames fit into your helmet will be a concern. If you're shopping for new frames, take your helmet and make sure they work.

3) How your head tilts while on the bike is important, because you'll be looking upward (out the top of your lenses) more than you would while just walking around.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I wear glasses and have found that "aviator style" glasses work best. I opted for Titanium frames and polycarbon lenses. I went for the lightest possible combination. For sunglasses I use "Fit overs--available at Wal-Mart for $25. If you are rich, you can always also have prescription sunglasses.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #7
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

I have a pair that are for the bike only. I took my helmet to the shop and am very forunate to have a wonderful doctor that helped with getting the best frame for what would fit in the helmet. He explained that the placement of the eye within the frame was the most important part. They are a bit geeky, but hey, you do what you have to do. I keep them in a case under the back seat and I change them when I stop and will need to see close up, like reading. Kind of a pain but well worth the effort.

Old May 17th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Regarding weight...

One thing I've learned over the decades is that the smaller the lens is, the lighter it is... because it can be thinner and provide the same optical effect.

I lived through the 70s and 80s when stupidly big lenses were popular. My glasses weighed a ton, especially before there was plastic. I could shake my head and my glasses would come off.

If you've got the money, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend going for high-index plastic. My massively strong prescription, which used to result in very, very thick lenses (high school was a real joy, let me tell you), is now accomplished with nice, thin, lightweight lenses.

They do cost, though.... hundreds.....

Doesn't bother me. It's a matter of priorities. I have to see and I have to wear these blasted things every waking moment of my life. A few bucks is nothing. I can save pennies elsewhere.

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #9
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

the only problem with my frames is that they tend to slip off my face. Its really annoying sometimes because i would have to open my visor and push them back up.

Old May 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Regarding weight...

One thing I've learned over the decades is that the smaller the lens is, the lighter it is... because it can be thinner and provide the same optical effect.

I lived through the 70s and 80s when stupidly big lenses were popular. My glasses weighed a ton, especially before there was plastic. I could shake my head and my glasses would come off.

If you've got the money, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend going for high-index plastic. My massively strong prescription, which used to result in very, very thick lenses (high school was a real joy, let me tell you), is now accomplished with nice, thin, lightweight lenses.

They do cost, though.... hundreds.....

Doesn't bother me. It's a matter of priorities. I have to see and I have to wear these blasted things every waking moment of my life. A few bucks is nothing. I can save pennies elsewhere.
Totally agree with this, and it's one of the things I'm going to look for- I'm still wearing the same pair of glasses I've had for several years, and I cheaped out on the lenses which is why they're so heavy. And your comment about the wider rectangular lenses is what I was already considering for a new shape, to give myself some more room to the side.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloh View Post
the only problem with my frames is that they tend to slip off my face. Its really annoying sometimes because i would have to open my visor and push them back up.

Brand name CHUMS, available at Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, EMS, and a zillion places online. Made of cotton knit tubing.

I used to be a whitewater kayaker. These things are bombproof even in Class IV whitewater (which is about like sticking your head in a washing machine) and utterly comfortable. Much better than the neoprene Croakies. They will hold your glasses on as tightly as goggles if you wish.

Highly, HIGHLY recommended.

Old May 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #12
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I wear prescription "Kawasaki the designer" eyewear. Small light lenses, wider but narrower in depth, titanium no frames which gets rid of any "frame in the way peripheral issues in a helmet. Can't complain about any discomfort due to the lightness and style of the glasses. Comes with tinted magnetic clipons for sun fills the bill for helmet issues.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote