ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #1
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Scooter Rant

IF I CAN'T DO IT ON MY MOTORCYCLE YOU SHOULD NOT DO IT ON YOUR SCOOTER!

I was on my way home from work. In my car of course. Anyway I have no problem with the scooters going up and down the RIGHT shoulder. It is when they cut (Unsafely I might add) across two lanes of traffic to ride in the left hand shoulder. Granted if your going to be making a left soon, fine by me! But nooo this is zipping along in the left and then cuts through FOUR left hand turn lanes continuing to go straight! then he gets up to this one major intersection and I am assuming he was aiming to make a left but thats were we parted.. Last I saw him he was lanesplitting by manuvering himself between cards on all sides!

That is not freakin fair! If I can't do it on my motorcycle you scooters should not be able to do it either! (In reference to the lane splitting).

Not to mention his methods were totally unsafe and scary!

Thank you...

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

This may be an unfair, sterotypical view of most scooter riders, but I find that a lot of them are dangerously uninformed about proper riding etiquette. Most of them see a scooter more like a bicycle than a motorcycle....and fail to understand or practice a lot of the precautionary maneuvers that motorcyclists use to survive.

That and a lot of them can be douchebags......
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #3
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I think it's a bit unfair to generalize. Do you like it when car drivers generalize about motorcycle riders..? I've heard many of these negative comments voiced about motorcyclists....

Okay, you saw a scooter riding behaving poorly. Around these parts I see the occasional scooterist, bicyclist, or even motorcyclist riding poorly, but most behave reasonably well.

Let's not feed any stereotypes...

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #4
kkim

No where in her post did I read that Sunny was addressing this about all scooters... only the scooter rider she observed.

Sunny, there are good and bad in every aspect in life... unfortunately most people will only remember the bad.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #5
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

I did not say it was all of them did I??

I am not saying each and every scooter rider is a bad rider. No. Just this one.

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I had a Bad Ass scooter it would do a wheelie and a smoky burn out . I am a old man with a ATGATT attitude and this little beast would bring the hooligan out of me . I had tags even though it was a 50 cc but it would do 65 mph and I had to sell it before I died . I think your friend was a scooter squid for sure. But they are fun to ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photos 018.jpg (105.7 KB, 7 views)
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #7
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

But Sunny was speaking in the plural:
"I have no problem with the scooters ..."
"It is when they cut ..."
"If I can't do it on my motorcycle you scooters ..."

It sure reads like Sunny is talking about more than one scooter.

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
kkim

you are correct, but that still does not read (to me) that she is including all scooters and stereotyping them all, IMHO.

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #9
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Keep picking....

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #10
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

Yeah, it sounds the same as "I can't lane share to the front in my car, then that motorcycle shouldn't either." We're not all going to the same place, thus it doesn't matter who gets wherever first.

Complaining about recklessness is one thing, saying if I can't do it they can't do it is another to me. But then as long as it doesn't directly impact others, I don't really care what method people use to get from A to B.

We make two fools when we get angry at the fool for being a fool.
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #11
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Sunny - Kelly,

What are we to do with these kids.

I know, give them a time-out.

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #12
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

I did not want to lane split in my car... That is just idoitic.

Legally I cannot lane split in on my motorcycle, here in MD. If the Law has legally stated it is unsafe for me to do this on my motorcycle why is it okay for a scooter, aachem sorry, THIS scoooter to do so?

Also, being that I am from California, I have lane split before but NEVER between the front and back ends of cars. as THIS scooter did.

Before you start, again, thinking I am digging and griping at ALL scooters, I wave to them. If they have gear on and are not doing stupid stuff, I wave. They are two wheeled just as I am.

But when you go from a turn lane to go straight....FOUR times... That is irrisponsible. If it was a motorcyclest you bet I would be mad then too.

Yeah yeah to be mad at someone you don't know and will most likely ever see again is foolish but you know what... Grr. It just made me mad that this guy was giving such an impression to EVERYONE he was around.

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #13
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Ok.

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #14
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
This may be an unfair, sterotypical view of most scooter riders, but I find that a lot of them are dangerously uninformed about proper riding etiquette. Most of them see a scooter more like a bicycle than a motorcycle....and fail to understand or practice a lot of the precautionary maneuvers that motorcyclists use to survive.

That and a lot of them can be douchebags......
I find that I have to agree with this statement.
Yes, Sunny's problem was with one guy, but isn't it spreading? There are more scooters out there every day ... Perhaps they should have to take the MSF course? Or at least have it offered to them when they buy their scoots... all it takes is one bad apple to ruin the barrel.

Just my 2cents ...
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #15
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Last I checked the only state that legally allows Lane splitting is California... (while traffic is stopped; if it is moving you cannot split the lane).

Now move to Venezuela and there are no rules atleast enforced rules. I love riding down there. There are more bikes than cars and if you have a 250 it is considered a large bike by their standards. Most regular motorcycles are 125cc and more scooters than that. Occasionally you'll find someone with a literbike, but those are the drug dealers or the Government Kids and most are dead by 25 years old.

Long Story short... I really wish you could split lanes here in the states (as long as it is when cars are stopped and it is safe).

Old May 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #16
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Anyone know about lane splitting in Texas?? Can't find anything definitive about it.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #17
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Don't anyone answer this .... just found the thread started about Tx Lane Split <grin>
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
Don't anyone answer this .... just found the thread started about Tx Lane Split <grin>

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #19
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Quote:
Anyone know about lane splitting in Texas?? Can't find anything definitive about it.
It is NOT legal.. Yet. I chased down a state trooper on his motorcycle and pulled in behind him and got out to ask him. He said it is definitely not legal at all. If you search lane splitting (in tx) in this forum you'll find out more.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #20
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Quote:
Well... Crap.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #21
Flashmonkey

Up here in Ontario, people getting the "big" scooters have to go through the same licensing system that motorcyclists do (I had two scooter riders in my course). That being said, some of them do receive a fairly standardized education. However, the "smaller" scooters are somewhat less scrutinized. A few days ago, I witnessed what I can only describe as two "idiots" riding around on what looked like electric "rent-a-scooters". They were not only lane splitting and filtering, but they were crossing the street on pedestrian cross walks and cutting taxis off. One of the riders could barely work the brakes on her scooter and practically kept crashing into her husband in order to stop.

I'm sure there are scooter riders out there who are very diligent and well educated. And, yes, I'm aware of the stereotypical view i'm perpetuating with this type of post....but let's face it....there is something of a double standard out there right now. Up here where I live anyway.

Old May 16th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #22
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Ok my 2 cents. Sunny you weren't bashing all scooters. Just the jackass you saw yesterday. just venting. Understood
everyone else..

2nd ,
rent a scooters are diasters waiting to happen. I am glad I do not live in Santa Cruz anymore.

3rd, Lets not sterotype

4th I have friends who scooter. with ATGATT attitudes
and have taken the MSF course and continue to ride carefully with thier club.

5th There are jackass scooter, Motorcyclist, and cagers out there everywhere. I personally was one of those jackass cagers yesterday and had to put myself into a time out...

We could always start on bicycles now. But please lets not. There are good bicyclist and jackasses. God I love that word

Or we can pick on Mothers with the unholy STROLLERS in the store.

I feel better now.... thanks Sunny !!

Old May 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #23
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
Or we can pick on Mothers with the unholy STROLLERS in the store.

I feel better now.... thanks Sunny !!
LOL don't get me started on strollers....especially on the subway GAHHH!!

Old May 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #24
B2FiNiTY
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R

what kind of scooter was it?
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #25
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

I didn't stop to ask him... It was one of the newer models... Thats about all I could tell ya

Old May 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #26
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

A pox on all scooters with their teeny tiny tires!

You had me at

ROFL

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #27
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
Last I checked the only state that legally allows Lane splitting is California... (while traffic is stopped; if it is moving you cannot split the lane).
Not remotely true.

From the CHP website:

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

And that is about the extent of the verbage just about anywhere. Technically, lane sharing in CA is not expressly illegal therefor it is legal and there are no restrictions on it.

You cannot be ticketed for "lane sharing" and have it hold up in court. You can be ticketed for whatever real violation the cop decides applies if you are riding like a dumbass.

I have 2 rules for it myself:

1) If the cop on the motorcycle in front of me is not doing it, do I really want to see if said cop is having a bad day?

2) If there is a CHP car in front of me on surface streets, is the time saved by filtering past truly important enough to risk having to have the conversation?

If I don't see the cop, then I share whenever I'm comforable doing so whether the traffic is moving or not.

I've violated both of those rules, and got a finger wag from the moto CHP once. And I think that was more about the speed limit that I might have been violating.

The CHP officer who lives next door thinks my rules are pretty solid.

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #28
tjkamper

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinjc View Post
Not remotely true.

From the CHP website:

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

And that is about the extent of the verbage just about anywhere. Technically, lane sharing in CA is not expressly illegal therefor it is legal and there are no restrictions on it.

You cannot be ticketed for "lane sharing" and have it hold up in court. You can be ticketed for whatever real violation the cop decides applies if you are riding like a dumbass.

I have 2 rules for it myself:

1) If the cop on the motorcycle in front of me is not doing it, do I really want to see if said cop is having a bad day?

2) If there is a CHP car in front of me on surface streets, is the time saved by filtering past truly important enough to risk having to have the conversation?

If I don't see the cop, then I share whenever I'm comforable doing so whether the traffic is moving or not.

I've violated both of those rules, and got a finger wag from the moto CHP once. And I think that was more about the speed limit that I might have been violating.

The CHP officer who lives next door thinks my rules are pretty solid.
Like I said. It is legal in California. In a traffic school I took 9 years ago someone asked about motorcycles and riding between cars. The officer told us it is legal and quoted something similar to the "reasonable and safely, etc..." He then told us that they only consider it safe if the other vehicles are not moving. (That may have been a city ordinance... I don't know).

But my original statement is true. "Last I checked the only state that legally allows Lane splitting is California." The other stuff was in parenthesis for a reason... It was paraphrased from what a police officer in California told me.

I totally agree with your Rules though!

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #29
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
I didn't stop to ask him... It was one of the newer models... Thats about all I could tell ya
Sunny, I`m with you 100%. What this particular "Scoot Commando" did was not only foolish, reckless, and illigal for sure. We have the same problem with bicycles here in Maine. According to Maine Law, they have to follow the same regs as cars--they are, however allowed to move forward past a line of cars in the Repair/Bicycle lane. What that idiot did was certainly irritating. The great German poet Schiller summed the whole thing up before there were even cages and motorcycles--"Against stupidity,even the gods are powerless"
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #30
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
"Against stupidity,even the gods are powerless"
LOVE it! What a great Quote!

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #31
tjkamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
"Against stupidity,even the gods are powerless"
That's the truth!

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #32
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
LOVE it! What a great Quote!
Sunny, Another one of my favorites is, "Ignorance can be cured through education, stupidity, unfortunately is terminal" Mick Jagger.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote