ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #201
kkim

so, what's so wrong with having to downshift to pass? It all depends on the rate at which you want to make the pass. I just take it as a given with anything that has a manual transmission.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #202
danknation
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
so, what's so wrong with having to downshift to pass? It all depends on the rate at which you want to make the pass. I just take it as a given with anything that has a manual transmission.
Nothing really, but with a daily commute of 50 miles each way it'd be nice just to cruise and roll on the throttle a tad when needed. I know that everyone swares the people that drive where they live are the worst but Texas plain scares me. I have had 4 people decide to "share my lane" with my in the last 1.5 months while going down the highway. I don't stay next to people or in their blind spots so this was all them.
danknation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #203
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I don't think anyone's necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just a difference of expectations. First, while your bike may very well be saying 100 on the speedo, it's not going anywhere near that speed. A stock (or even a breathed upon) ninjette will take a long, long time to get anywhere near a true 100 mph, and most won't make it. Our speedos are famously optimistic, and putting a GPS on the bars drives home the point pretty quickly. I find that the engine performance is more than acceptable on the highway up to a true 80 mph. If you're already going 75 or 80, the remaining passing power, even at full throttle in the optimal gear, isn't a whole heck of alot. It's just the nature of the bike. If someone's commute requires more power in reserve to get from 75 ish to 90 ish then back down to 75 ish as traffic conditions warrant, a 250cc 4-stroke may not be the optimal choice. Doesn't mean it's not a perfectly capable bike, but it's not the best at everything (just like no bikes are the best at everything).

What does make me wonder a bit is when folks do say that they need a bike that is more capable on the highway, and list bikes like the ZX-6R or other supersports as more suitable, primarily because of the extra power. While that one component is true, the riding position, the limited vision due to the riding position/mirrors, the limited fuel range, limited tire and chain life, the greatly increased insurance, and a number of other factors we could all list make those bikes not such a great choice for those with daily highway commutes. YMMV.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #204
kkim

I think if you would be more comfortable on a larger displacement bike for the freeways, you should get one.

The Ninja 250 is a great bike that does a lot of things well. It can do long, high speed trips, but I can imagine it would be a lot more comfortable on a larger bike.

Saying that, you do know you can make some simple changes to the Ninja that will help the bike be a bit more comfortable and have a bit more power to set it up for highway travel, don't you?

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #205
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Some people do "NEED" more passing power than others. A 250 Ninja is far from "more than enough." It's closer to "just enough to get you by." It's nothing like driving a cage. I just might really NEED it... not just WANT it.
What does this imaginary "need" come from? If it's the rider's stats... this is how I ALWAYS ride: 6'2" - 250lb before gear with full gear and a tank bag. Other than riding two-up, I haven't seen any complaint coming from anywone with a bigger statistical "need." So, where do those complaints come from? Answer: They come from a WANT, not a "need."
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #206
danknation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I don't think anyone's necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just a difference of expectations. First, while your bike may very well be saying 100 on the speedo, it's not going anywhere near that speed. A stock (or even a breathed upon) ninjette will take a long, long time to get anywhere near a true 100 mph, and most won't make it. Our speedos are famously optimistic, and putting a GPS on the bars drives home the point pretty quickly. I find that the engine performance is more than acceptable on the highway up to a true 80 mph. If you're already going 75 or 80, the remaining passing power, even at full throttle in the optimal gear, isn't a whole heck of alot. It's just the nature of the bike. If someone's commute requires more power in reserve to get from 75 ish to 90 ish then back down to 75 ish as traffic conditions warrant, a 250cc 4-stroke may not be the optimal choice. Doesn't mean it's not a perfectly capable bike, but it's not the best at everything (just like no bikes are the best at everything).

What does make me wonder a bit is when folks do say that they need a bike that is more capable on the highway, and list bikes like the ZX-6R or other supersports as more suitable, primarily because of the extra power. While that one component is true, the riding position, the limited vision due to the riding position/mirrors, the limited fuel range, limited tire and chain life, the greatly increased insurance, and a number of other factors we could all list make those bikes not such a great choice for those with daily highway commutes. YMMV.
Thank you for putting it in a better way, Alex.

I understand the limitations in fuel range, tire and chain life, etc that I will incur with the SS, those are all things I am willing to live with. I've made this same trip on the GXSR and R6 and as I previously said it was night and day to the 250. The riding position is more preferred because it gets me out of the wind and over the tank without my arms dropping 6 inches like the ninjette(I know, clipons, keep reading below about modding). Just like I made exceptions with the 250 so I could start riding I will do so when it comes to get another bike. I bought the 250 to learn, learn well, give to my fiance, and I had been wanting a bike for so long I wanted what I could afford. All in all I am not disappointed, but like you said I prefer a little bit more in the reserve.

And Kelly, I am fully aware of the changes I can make to the ninjette. I've got clip-ons coming for Christmas that will get me a little lower of the tank but frankly I am not a fan of buying a vehicle and then modding it to preferred power. It reminds me of the Civic guys, I can buy it for 4k and put 10k into it and then it'll have 800whp!!! This is an obvious exaggeration but when the spring rolls around the Broadaway family is adding another, bigger, bike to the stable.

I will always have a slot in the garage for the duecefifty. I just said the other day that I was keeping this vehicle for the rest of my life unless it was stolen or wrecked. I love it, it is my first bike, but it leaves more to be desired on the highway. A good combination of larger displacement(maybe even a ST or something) and the ninjette will keep me happy for a long time to come.

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #207
kkim

lol... welcome to the addiction.

Old October 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #208
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
I don't think anyone's necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just a difference of expectations. First, while your bike may very well be saying 100 on the speedo, it's not going anywhere near that speed. .
I still need to borrow a GPS and get an exact % of how far the speedo is off, but counting mile markers on the highway against the odometer, it's pretty friggin' close. Also judging that I know from when I'm in my Jeep that most of the vehicles on the highway I'm talking about go 85+ on average, and I was passing them rather quickly, I'd guess that 100 indicated on my bike is close to 95mph.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #209
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Am I the only one around here who's perfectly happy to keep it at 65-70 mph as a matter of course?

Seems like everyone is trying to ride at ridiculous speeds on public roads. The velocities routinely cited around here are enough to cost you your license just about anywhere in the United States.

Every time somebody (car or bike) blows by me at 95 mph - which happens fairly often on the Interstate - especially weaving through traffic, I find myself reflexively wishing that the idiot would have a close personal encounter with a bridge abutment and take himself out of the freakin' gene pool before he kills someone else.

What's your hurry? The mere act of riding is enjoyable.

I'm no speed-limit Nazi... far from it... I believe that the safest speed is to match the general flow of traffic, which around here is typically around 65-70 on the Interstate (speed limit 55). But too fast is too fast. I confess to having gotten my bike up to 85-90 once just to see what it was like (it was fine...felt quite stable and happy), but that was enough. I don't need to go that fast on a routine basis.

Just my $0.02. Ride your own ride.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #210
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Am I the only one around here who's perfectly happy to keep it at 65-70 mph as a matter of course?

Seems like everyone is trying to ride at ridiculous speeds on public roads. The velocities routinely cited around here are enough to cost you your license just about anywhere in the United States.

Every time somebody (car or bike) blows by me at 95 mph - which happens fairly often on the Interstate - especially weaving through traffic, I find myself reflexively wishing that the idiot would have a close personal encounter with a bridge abutment and take himself out of the freakin' gene pool before he kills someone else.

I'm no speed-limit Nazi... far from it... I believe that the safest speed is to match the general flow of traffic, which around here is typically around 65-70 on the Interstate (speed limit 55). But too fast is too fast. I confess to having gotten my bike up to 85-90 once just to see what it was like (it was fine...felt quite stable and happy), but that was enough. I don't need to go that fast on a routine basis.

We have alot of 65 and 70mph posted zones in this area and the traffic flow is 75-80, of course. I feel the safest speed for me on a bike is to be slowly overtaking traffic.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #211
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

I don't know where the secret lair is (obviously), but in a lot of places the general flow of traffic IS 80-85 on the highway. Keep up or get run over.

Old October 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #212
emilyLOVESlime
ninjette.org member

Name: Emily!

Motorcycle(s): Black '05 Ninja 250R

Quote:
We have alot of 65 and 70mph posted zones in this area and the traffic flow is 75-80, of course. I feel the safest speed for me on a bike is to be slowly overtaking traffic.
That is what happens here as well. I recently took an hour long trip back home and I felt a little uncomfortable pushing my little Ninja to her limits. It was quite windy as well, but the biggest thing was that I wasn't really cruising at 80mph, I was almost hitting what I felt like was the highest speed I should be safely going on a bike this small.

Suffice it to say that I still LOVE this bike. I'd never give it up, except maybe for a new-gen. Best case scenario I'd have a black new-gen and also a black and gold R6
emilyLOVESlime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #213
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
but counting mile markers on the highway against the odometer, it's pretty friggin' close.
The error on the speedometer has no relation to the error on the odometer. That said, the odometer is usually much closer to reality than the speedo rating. Until you put a GPS on the bike, one can't really know what the error is for that particular bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #214
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

When it comes to being ready to add a little passing punch, mine seems happiest going from a 6th gear, 80 iMPH, 9K RPM cruise (speed of traffic here), to a 85-90 iMPH passing speed. My bike is still geared stock, but this is where the powerband is supposed to open up. I can't really see why at that RPM & speed you would need to drop a gear...

On one hand, I agree with all the statements about being "enough" power.
But on the other hand, I also agree with the statements about not ALWAYS being enough power. While I feel my bike is fully capable to tour just about anywhere, except very high elevations, there are those times the extra power would be very helpful, if not safer in certain situations. When I talk to others who haven't ridden a 250r, I compare it's power to a Honda Civic. Civics have "enough" power, but then again, there are also those times they don't, albeit generally not an everyday occurrence.

EDIT: On second thought.... if I still lived in southern CA, I would be nervous on a 250 on many of the freeways, since they regularly go from a 90+ iMPH (80+ MPG), to a dead stop in seconds... and then back up again. That works out to being aprox. 10 mph faster than up here in norther CA, which does bring a 250r a lot closer to it's limit... but it can be done, and there are a few members here who are from SoCal. I am curious about what they have to say about this.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #215
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

I'd think that a Ninja 250R would be quite a bit quicker than a Honda Civic. My N/A Subaru is faster than a stock Civic and I know for a fact that my 250 is faster than my car (I'm pretty light though). I've read that the 250 would only be a tad slower than a WRX; and a WRX should be MORE than enough performance to get anybody by on the streets. But, I'm sure a WRX would also have more punch at highway speeds so I guess the highway argument still stands for those people who need to do 80-85 just to keep up. Where I live, I almost never go past 75mph. I only hit 80 occasionally to pass people, then back down to 70-75 in the left lane.

The highway speed limit in Milwaukee is 55 in most places. Up to 65 when you go north or south of the city and into the suburbs.
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #216
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The error on the speedometer has no relation to the error on the odometer. That said, the odometer is usually much closer to reality than the speedo rating. Until you put a GPS on the bike, one can't really know what the error is for that particular bike.
Interesting. In cars the speedo and odo are usually read from the same sensor, and have the same accuracy.

Old October 26th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #217
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiegy2010 View Post
I'd think that a Ninja 250R would be quite a bit quicker than a Honda Civic. My N/A Subaru is faster than a stock Civic and I know for a fact that my 250 is faster than my car (I'm pretty light though). I've read that the 250 would only be a tad slower than a WRX; and a WRX should be MORE than enough performance to get anybody by on the streets. But, I'm sure a WRX would also have more punch at highway speeds so I guess the highway argument still stands for those people who need to do 80-85 just to keep up. Where I live, I almost never go past 75mph. I only hit 80 occasionally to pass people, then back down to 70-75 in the left lane.

The highway speed limit in Milwaukee is 55 in most places. Up to 65 when you go north or south of the city and into the suburbs.
I have also heard that about 250r vs. WRX,...... BUT, I have noticed when cars occasionally want to take-off past me at lights, almost all of them can when they try. I generally push it from a stop to get all the traffic behind me, but if I gave it all she's got... well, that wouldn't be much more. I would say a rough estimate is I give it 90% when I want to get infront of traffic. I've had soccor moms with attitudes, in the mid-large sized SUVs, blow past me from a stop. Same with trucks, beater 4 doors, etc. In almost all these cases I didn't hear their engines screaming too hard, so I know they could do more. I did smoke a 911, but he was on a sunday drive, so I wouldn't count that. So if it were really true, I wouldn't have my eye on that 650r.

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #218
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #219
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Lol one time I was behind this guy driving really slow in a Chevy Silverado, and I will admit I was following a little to closley to see around him, well this guy sticks his hand out the window to wave me by, and as soon as I started to go around him, there was an oncoming car right freaking there. I was floored, this a-hole just tried to kill me! I backed off a little bit then decided I was going around him, well when I tried to pass he sped up as I got in the other lane, and I could not pass him, I got behind him and he slowed way down again. I wanted to follow him home, and use my helmet to bash his face in for trying to kill me, but I refrained. Just thinking about that encounter still makes me mad.

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #220
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I have also heard that about 250r vs. WRX,...... BUT, I have noticed when cars occasionally want to take-off past me at lights, almost all of them can when they try.
I had that happen not long ago. On my commute, I often encounter lights where, if I stay in line, I'll get stuck behind more than one cycle of the red. So if I can, I'll ride up the right shoulder to the front of the line. I'm not inconveniencing anyone by doing this, but it infuriates the cagers. Not surprising...they HAVE to wait and I don't.

So this one guy decides to press the issue. I push it for about one second... long enough to realize that he's racing, then I just back off and let him have it. I won't get held up at all, and he gets to think he's a big bada$$ for beating out a sport bike in his full-sized Lexus sedan. Whoopie.

The poetic justice is that a quarter of a mile later, he got stuck behind a school bus making a left turn and I passed him anyway. I gave him a friendly wave as I went around him, and promptly disappeared....

A$$HOLE!!!!!!!
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #221
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
EDIT: On second thought.... if I still lived in southern CA, I would be nervous on a 250 on many of the freeways, since they regularly go from a 90+ iMPH (80+ MPG), to a dead stop in seconds... and then back up again. That works out to being aprox. 10 mph faster than up here in norther CA, which does bring a 250r a lot closer to it's limit... but it can be done, and there are a few members here who are from SoCal. I am curious about what they have to say about this.
I have been riding my '08 as my sole mode of transportation here in the Cypress area since mid May. I have ridden on several of the freeways here, and in traffic and in jams. And yes, I lane split when the going gets REAL slow. Going with the flow on most times that I have been on the freeways is around 80-85. I basically lay my left arm over the tank and lean on my elbow, so I guess I could say that I am in a tuck. Passing is not a chore, it does take some throttle and I rarely ever downshift. I get passed rather frequently by other bikes, but to me it is no big deal. IMHO, the most comfortable speed on my bike is around 70-75, it feels smoother and I don't get as much head bobble, although that could be from my helmet, Scorpion 400, than the bike itself. (I do have a double bubble windscreen). So, for me, I don't have a problem with the ninjette on the freeways here. (For the record, I 'm 5'7", 135lbs in the buff).

nb

Old October 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #222
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
When it comes to being ready to add a little passing punch, mine seems happiest going from a 6th gear, 80 iMPH, 9K RPM cruise (speed of traffic here), to a 85-90 iMPH passing speed. My bike is still geared stock, but this is where the powerband is supposed to open up. I can't really see why at that RPM & speed you would need to drop a gear...

On one hand, I agree with all the statements about being "enough" power.
But on the other hand, I also agree with the statements about not ALWAYS being enough power. While I feel my bike is fully capable to tour just about anywhere, except very high elevations, there are those times the extra power would be very helpful, if not safer in certain situations. When I talk to others who haven't ridden a 250r, I compare it's power to a Honda Civic. Civics have "enough" power, but then again, there are also those times they don't, albeit generally not an everyday occurrence.

_________
( _______)
V

Old October 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #223
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

Quote:
I have also heard that about 250r vs. WRX,...... BUT, I have noticed when cars occasionally want to take-off past me at lights, almost all of them can when they try. I generally push it from a stop to get all the traffic behind me, but if I gave it all she's got... well, that wouldn't be much more. I would say a rough estimate is I give it 90% when I want to get infront of traffic. I've had soccor moms with attitudes, in the mid-large sized SUVs, blow past me from a stop. Same with trucks, beater 4 doors, etc. In almost all these cases I didn't hear their engines screaming too hard, so I know they could do more. I did smoke a 911, but he was on a sunday drive, so I wouldn't count that. So if it were really true, I wouldn't have my eye on that 650r.
I saw a video on youtube of a 250 racing a V6 Mustang. The 250 won. A V6 'stang is slower than a WRX so I think putting the 250 between the two would be pretty fair.

I personally have no way of knowing though, I just got my bike and don't even have my permit yet.

EDIT: Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0xbyjCxs7U
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #224
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ my WRX would cock slap a 250, but its got 300whp and drag racing a 250 is stupid anyways
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #225
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Yup. Good enough for me.

A 2008 (has a white Ninja logo) suddenly deciding and passing at high speeds on an interstate highway/freeway...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Looks to have a stock exhaust and fender, so I doubt it has any other mods. Loaded with gear including a backpack and it took only a few seconds once he decided to pass; speeds are around 90MPH according to the BMW's gauge.

Guy left his blinker on and documented it for us all.

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #226
headshrink

I guess I don't ride fast enough

Old October 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #227
danknation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Yup. Good enough for me.

A 2008 (has a white Ninja logo) suddenly deciding and passing at high speeds on an interstate highway/freeway...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Looks to have a stock exhaust and fender, so I doubt it has any other mods. Loaded with gear including a backpack and it took only a few seconds once he decided to pass; speeds are around 90MPH according to the BMW's gauge.

Guy left his blinker on and documented it for us all.

My Lord you just can't let it go can you....

Did you ever notice you're that guy on the internet that keeps an argument going 3 pages after everyone else has tried to drop it?

Old October 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #228
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknation View Post
My Lord you just can't let it go can you....

Did you ever notice you're that guy on the internet that keeps an argument going 3 pages after everyone else has tried to drop it?
Should I just forget a supporting (and interesting) video I found? Keep it to myself to avoid looking argumentative? Purposely not support my own views? If you say so. That's not normal. Good luck finding someone who will act that way. I tend to support the things that I say. People who say things without supporting evidence invite arguments. People who try to support the things they say create discussion and/or end arguments.

Either way, more info is better no matter who it's from or what they said previously, and no matter how you look at it and there's no more appropriate place for it than this thread for this topic... kkim asked if we needed more (or not) with the 250 relegated as simply a gateway drug and I didn't participate in this year-old thread until yesterday. It was all the better to answer then too because I now had 1.25 years' experience then with cross-country trip under my belt. I'd say that my perspective of a tall & heavy rider with tons of freeway riding experience finding it more than enough had not been adequately reflected (in fact, it was the opposite of what lighter riders were saying). I'd say that it's my duty for others potentially like me to see this perspective.

It looks like it has a LOT more life left in it because it was only TWO pages when I first piped up yesterday. If my experience started the argument anew, oh well. He asked for our experiences and I gave mine along with my opinion and supporting evidence. If only every poster was a thorough there may not be much left to argue about!

Old October 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #229
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Should I just forget a supporting (and interesting) video I found? Keep it to myself to avoid looking argumentative? Purposely not support my own views? If you say so. That's not normal. Good luck finding someone who will act that way. I tend to support the things that I say. People who say things without supporting evidence invite arguments. People who try to support the things they say create discussion and/or end arguments.

Either way, more info is better no matter who it's from or what they said previously, and no matter how you look at it and there's no more appropriate place for it than this thread for this topic... kkim asked if we needed more (or not) with the 250 relegated as simply a gateway drug and I didn't participate in this year-old thread until yesterday. It was all the better to answer then too because I now had 1.25 years' experience then with cross-country trip under my belt. I'd say that my perspective of a tall & heavy rider with tons of freeway riding experience finding it more than enough had not been adequately reflected (in fact, it was the opposite of what lighter riders were saying). I'd say that it's my duty for others potentially like me to see this perspective.

It looks like it has a LOT more life left in it because it was only TWO pages when I first piped up yesterday. If my experience started the argument anew, oh well. He asked for our experiences and I gave mine along with my opinion and supporting evidence. If only every poster was a thorough there may not be much left to argue about!
You have 1.25 yrs experience? err.. and you can now decide what is more than enough? what is needed vs what is just wanted? for people who have ridden many different bikes, for many... never mind. At least sour grapes does have a small amount of comedy value
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #230
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
You have 1.25 yrs experience? err.. and you can now decide what is more than enough? what is needed vs what is just wanted? for people who have ridden many different bikes, for many... never mind. At least sour grapes does have a small amount of comedy value
You missed the point. The bike's barely been available for longer than that (Spring '08 vs. Summer'08). Obviously, I wasn't talking about lifetime experience on bikes (which isn't much longer... put parking lot miles on Buell Blasts and a KLR650 for a few months... about 3x the MSF course alone). So, if I were talking about all my experience on bikes, it'd be 1 and a half years. Not significantly more, but enough to prove that I'm not trying to claim that the experience counts as anything more than 1 and 1/4 years experience with this bike in order to give a weightier opinion than those who claim to need an upgrade three months after buying it. Arguably, someone with more experience on bigger bikes is going to have a tainted opinion on what is "enough" because they've already tasted/experienced more and want it enough to excuse it by saying that the 250 "isn't enough."

Besides, what you need to be looking at is miles. I'm giving damn near 10,000 miles of nearly entirely freeway experience in an opinion about freeway and freeway-passing suitability. If you want to use that as an excuse to posture and parade your years of experience, so be it, but keep it on topic and in-perspective. Apply that and say WHY a three second pass at nearly 90MPH isn't enough passing power on-tap vs. some other bike. Would you rather be able to wheelie past them? Lurch forwards like they were standing still? Is that kind of power really "needed?"

Old October 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #231
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

WoW.., may be off topic but my gateway drug was from British Columbia

and it made me ride better

Old October 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #232
Kalivos
ninjette.org member

Name: private

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate-bama View Post
wow.., may be off topic but my gateway drug was from british columbia

lsd?
Kalivos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #233
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate-bama View Post
WoW.., may be off topic but my gateway drug was from British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalivos View Post
lsd?
Seeing sounds doesn't help you drive better. I'm guessing amphetamines, AKA "speed."

Old October 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #234
danknation
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Seeing sounds doesn't help you drive better. I'm guessing amphetamines, AKA "speed."
He's talking about grass. BC is known for growing and exporting decent buds. Speed is something that is typically made in rural America by none other than resident white trash.

Old October 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #235
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknation View Post
He's talking about grass. BC is known for growing and exporting decent buds. Speed is something that is typically made in rural America by none other than resident white trash.
Of course that's the stereotypical "gateway drug" (what the term usually applies to), but it does NOT make you a better driver. It may make you feel that way though. I'm sure you're right though... I just didn't know what BC was known for and it seemed to conflict with the "better driving" thing.

Long before meth became associated with rural folks cooking it in their trailers, it was used and abused by long-haul commercial drivers. San Diego, hardly a rural area, was once known as the "Meth Capital of the world," though a few places have carried that distinction since. I'm told that it's still pretty bad here. The rural thing has only exploded in the last 10-15 years.

Old October 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #236
headshrink

Quote:

Doesn't the military call it "go-pills?"

Old October 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #237
tonybhall
knees in the breeze

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I've ridden several bikes over the years ranging from a 250 Rebel to an 800cc Cruiser. My 2007 Ninja 250r is by far my favorite bike. Sure, there are times when I wish I had a little more power. And I've even test ridden a couple larger bikes recently when I got the itch. But every time I do, I gain a new appreciation for my 250. I ride 50 miles every day that the sun shines and it's not below 50*. I live in the south so that's 9 to 10 months out of the year.

The 250r does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. That's faster all but the fastest cars. And she may struggle to get into triple digits, but IMO, you don't need to be doing 100 mph on public highways.

One day I might purchase a larger bike again. But I can't see getting rid of the 250. It's just too much fun to ride.
tonybhall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2009, 07:21 AM   #238
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

To be honest anymore Im not too impressed with the jap 600 bikes, especially since they are priced over 10k nowadays. But if Ducati builds another supermono, or KTM brings that RC4 over here Ill buy one in a heartbeat.

by the way anybody heard anything on the KTM RC4, did they shelf the project?
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM   #239
overload
certified ninja 250r FAN

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): Honda XL 125 and Kawasaki Ninja 250r '09

I think the RC4 is a good idea but i doubt that they make them anymore or am i mistaken ?
overload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #240
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

I really dig my Ninjette, but want something a bit more rugged, not necessarily bigger. I really like the flickability of the Ninjette, it's really the best daily ride I have had yet. I do yearn for some off-road excursions, and this little bike won't do. I'm thinking about something like the V-Strom or DR650, maybe even something smaller, as long as I can mount some hard luggage.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote