ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

So Cal Azusa Twisties Saturday 16th

I have never been to Azusa yet but I hear from a lot of riders that this is a very twisty technical road compared to ACH's more long sweeping corners. Everyone is invited but I recommend that you should have at least 5k miles under your belt. I will say this again, this is a very challenging road, therefore, I will not be going fast compared to some of you Rossi riders on this board

Minor change of plans, we will be meeting off of the 210 and 39 at the Shell/Del Taco
(See Post #9 from Beast)
To clear up any confusion, we will still be meeting at the SHELL GAS STATION and then ride out from there.

For this first ride, we will be going from Azusa to GMR (due to the number of riders that have not done a canyon run, esp. on GMR). After we get a feel for the difficulty of these roads, we will always have chance do another route some other day in the future.

Before you come I recommend wearing full protection gloves,jacket,pants/1pc suit, and ankle protective footwear.

Check your tire pressure and fill your tank prior to the meet. (fyi, I will check my tire pressure once more before going into the twisties so I can provide a gauge if you do not have one but it isnt the greatest quality )

11 am sounds a tad bit too late, so how does 10 am sound?

KickStandsUp @ 10:15 So try and come earlier than 10 please.

If any of you have additional information, I will update this thread as we go along.

Riders:
00v_Lucky
Currentsea
Zombiphone
Beast
Andrewexd
Ninja250
iggysmalls
diablo250
samuel913
Adri99an
<- Our Travel Guide/Park Ranger

Maybe: Kurosaki

Maybe Next Time!: pedaltothemetal
Wow this is filling up fast!This is going to be a nice group of ninjettes :P

Last futzed with by 00v_Lucky; January 15th, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM   #2
currentsea
ninjette.org member

Name: J.R.

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I'm in.
currentsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM   #3
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentsea View Post
I'm in.
Sweet, hope to see you soon JR! I wanna see that sexy white bike in person

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Beast
Pure Imagination

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 08' 250r, '07 Vespa LX150 (it counts right?)

I believe I'm in for next next Saturday. That'll be TWO sexy whites....although you've seen mine already Howard

Also, usually people just meet at the Shell RIGHT off the 210 at the Azusa exit. You can see it from the freeway. I haven't ridden GMR either and I'm excited. The "regular" San Gabriel Canyon Road is not all that exciting...9 miles and it's a dead end. You're done after that. I hope the weather holds up. Today was a beautiful day.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Damn, the starting point's about 40 miles away for me, but this sounds like a fun ride so I don't mind making the effort.

I'm in as long as I don't sleep in and the weather permits. But as a bit of a disclaimer, I tend to take it easy on unfamiliar roads, so I'm not guaranteeing I'll keep up >_<

What's the route going to look like?
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #6
currentsea
ninjette.org member

Hey Zombiphone, don't worry, I'll be in the back with you. I tend to take it a little easy on roads I've never traveled.

40 miles :P Alex and I are coming from Santa Barbara, around 110 miles away. But I plan on hanging out with some friends down there anyway.

Yeah, let's post some route details so I can Streetview

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:41 PM   #7
currentsea
ninjette.org member

Can't wait to see your awesome bikes and your awesome faces

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM   #8
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
I believe I'm in for next next Saturday. That'll be TWO sexy whites....although you've seen mine already Howard
lol stop teasin' me Chris. but could you please post the exact location of that shell gas station? For some reason I cannot locate it

I did not post the route only because, I was not too sure on which route it will be. (I am going to need your guys' help with this event)

Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Beast
Pure Imagination

Tiffani, J.R. (and Howard) I'm with you guys too. GMR is new to me and I'd like to familiarize myself with it first

Tiffani, don't worry, I'm coming from about the same distance away since I'm in Burbank. J.R, I feel for you haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
lol stop teasin' me Chris. but could you please post the exact location of that shell gas station? For some reason I cannot locate it

I did not post the route only because, I was not too sure on which route it will be. (I am going to need your guys' help with this event)
FROM THIS EXIT off the 210

Turn left at the off ramp and after you pass under the freeway, it's on your right. Lots more space to meet up

The Shell

Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #10
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

im in. I swear i wont crash this time lol.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:00 PM   #11
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Dang it Chris, lol on the maps it only registered as a del taco!~ ha okay, ill change it.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM   #12
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Talking That's my backyard fellas

The 16th I'm pretty much in. I do the Azusa/GMR ride all the time. There are a few routes we can take but it is a lot of fun.

Ride 1: enter through the Azusa Canyon.....ride through some small twisties.....to east fork...head across......stop for a cold one (coffee shop)....continue up into GMR backside...nice twisties here...a little muddy from the past rain.... to rest the infamous rest stop (Glendora Mountain Road/Glendora Mountain Ridge) From there---you can ride to Mount Baldy (single lane...may be some snow--really cold but fun) or you can go up GMR which has a TON of twisties and corners......rest stop (to catch your breath--check out the views) then continue down GMR with more SEVERE twisties--a few 180 degree turns to the bottom and end up in Glendora.

or Ride 2 which is the opposite of ride #1 where you start from the bottom of GMR in Glendora. I usually go this way--since I live closer to this end.

Ride #1 is great because when you start off in Azusa--the twisties are small and is sort of a warm up for you and your bike....you know to get your lean on.

One thing I don't like about the weekends though are all the cars and a few idiots driving too fast on the wrong side of the lane sometimes.......

If you need any other information--let me know as I ride this ALL the time.....my wife gets mad because I spend too much time with the twisities and believe me I am NO road demon....I like to take them nice and smooth--I have 2 small children and don't need to show off for anyone......Always Ride Your Own Ride......
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM   #13
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I'm there!

I won't be trying to race/mess around with anybody. No funny stuff from me I promise. Just out to meet some other 250 riders and have a good time in the hills.

Since I have a camera going I wouldn't mind following up the rear to get some footage of you guys.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM   #14
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

This is one of the "GMR" routes that people take but, since we are meeting so close to Glendora Ridge mountain way, we could also follow Glendora Ridge until it joins into GMR. Thoughts?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...20757&t=h&z=12

I am not quite sure how to embed it into the thread tho. the C&P from google is not working

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM   #15
Beast
Pure Imagination

Adrian: I think you should be the guide. I'm not familiar with how to get to which roads and I'm sure howard isn't either Personally, I'd like to avoid Azusa Canyon unless we have to ride through it to get to our destination (as you stated).

ninja250 I saw your iphone video in the other thread. No drifting across the center divide to avoid bicyclists when we go up! It will only spell disaster on a busier road like this.

Howard: I'm not familiar with ...GRM? Haha. I still vote that Adrian be our guide.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM   #16
adri99an

You guys want to start in GMR? That's not a problem---we can go slow so you can feel out the road. Starting at the base of GMR is challenging but exciting and no one says you have ride up it a million miles an hour like I see some guys---it's not a race!@!@

Starting in Azusa is still a good idea for those who like open road with some small twisties.
Yeah the cars get in the way (stupid cars) but like I said--it's a nice little warm up before hitting GMR which is difficult if it's your first time. I remember my first time--I thought wow- lots of blind turns. Let me know what you guys decide--I have no problem being the lead since I am up GMR a lot---I road GMR for the last 4 days---it was heavenly man!!!

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #17
Beast
Pure Imagination

Azusa to GMR it is Nothing wrong with a warm up!

Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM   #18
adri99an

If we start at the base of GMR---we would meet up somewhere around the 210/Lone Hill which is only 5-8 minutes from the Azusa exit that Howard mapped out.

The GMR ride is much sweeter starting from the base of GMR---you get the whole GMR experience. It's very different from starting in from Azusa canyon as you are coming up the "back way"---

I'd be interested to hear what people want to experience. Azusa to GMR to the base of GMR without stopping to smell the roses--is about 30-45 minute solo ride. A group ride probably takes longer.

We could always start at GMR and just do GMR without even setting rubber in Azusa--but some people may want to see it all---and going to Mt. Balby--that may be for another day or the same day--depends on how much time you have.

Can't wait to see the WHITE 250R---- makes my bike feel like a moped.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM   #19
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Azusa to GMR it is Nothing wrong with a warm up!
+1

Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #20
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

I'll be there if I don't have a scooter club ride on that day. I am free on weekdays too!
Please PM if anybody is going up there on a weekday.
BTW I have been up there on a 10 speed 20 years ago but not motorcycle! There used to be a cafe coming back down the west side. Is that still there?
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM   #21
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

And here I was whining about 40 miles. That's dedication I don't feel so bad as long as I won't be the only one taking it easy.

I'll third Azusa to GMR if it's a somewhat easier start. I always feel more comfortable after a warm-up of sorts. Better to ease my mind into canyon mode than to throw it straight into gear What would that route look like?

Ummmm, on that note, I've never actually been on a group ride before, so not sure how these things generally tend to work. Specifically, do you guys generally make a rest stop or anything at the end of the designated route? Errr, is there anywhere to actually make a rest stop at the end of this? or is it straight riding up and, I assume, a u-turn back down the same route? I suppose it might still be too early to say, since the route hasn't been finalized yet. I'm fine either way, as I don't typically dismount until the end of my travels, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how these things go.

Now I'm all excited. I look forward to meeting you guys in person ^_^

edit: Ah, I completely overlooked the rest stops noted in the description for "Ride #1" ^^; Just answered my own question. That one sounds like a great ride and probably better to get a chance to cool down a bit between some more intense twisties.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM   #22
Beast
Pure Imagination

Adrian, if coming from Azusa leads us to the back-side of GMR, I heard it's VERY technical. I'd rather attack it from the front rather than the back. I didn't know which route led to where
Quote:
Can't wait to see the WHITE 250R---- makes my bike feel like a moped.
PEARL white...and flat black. And yes, feelings of inadequacy will ensue JK.

Quote:
Ummmm, on that note, I've never actually been on a group ride before, so not sure how these things generally tend to work. Specifically, do you guys generally make a rest stop or anything at the end of the designated route? Errr, is there anywhere to actually make a rest stop at the end of this? or is it straight riding up and, I assume, a u-turn back down the same route? I suppose it might still be too early to say, since the route hasn't been finalized yet. I'm fine either way, as I don't typically dismount until the end of my travels, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how these things go.
It's quite smooth since we all know that this group ride isn't a race. Some of us will get ahead while others will trot along at their own pace. 30 minutes without a break goes by quickly. Angeles Crest from the base to Newcomb's Ranch is about the same. You'll be so focused on the road that by the time things come to stop, you'll be saying "We're there already!?!"

The leader of the group will usually signal and pull over and other's will follow suite. You'll be able to see this stop way ahead of time and pull over as well.

Also, sometimes a cool down is good, sometimes it ruins your mental momentum One you get into a groove it's actually harder to just "take a break" mid-adrenaline rush hehe.

Old January 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #23
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

last time I went, we stopped at the top of GMR, there was a bunch of bikes lined up there.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #24
kkim

Hey, Chris... where's Ken these days?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #25
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
last time I went, we stopped at the top of GMR, there was a bunch of bikes lined up there.
Yeah I think that is the spot where it has the three way split between East Fork, Glendora Mountain Road and Glendora Ridge Road. I almost stopped last time to chat with all the bikes but was following that gsxr out and was on my way home coming in.

Glendora Ridge Road is the one lane portion. East fork is two lanes and so is Glendora Mountain Road. I would not recommend the one lane portion for a group ride. It's wide enough to leave space for opposite traffic, but opposite traffic often does not give you the same respect.

Old January 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #26
iggysmalls
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I'm in. I think Ive done GMR before, drove it, hiked a bit then jumped off the Bridge to Nowhere. From what I remember the drive was a blast, lot of day people, the hike was epic, but bungee wasn't so great (go sky diving instead).

In Azusa theres an ice cream shop that we stopped at, which we swore was just a front for something more cynical. Do Not Recommend.
iggysmalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #27
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

maybe
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #28
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
maybe
Why the maybe Kurosaki?

Old January 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #29
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

He said cynical did he mean sinister?
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #30
adri99an

Azusa to GMR it is!!!

Well--it sounds like this ride is turning into something cool--it will be great to ride with some other baby ninjas.

So we will enter via....
AZUSA TO EAST FORK (CAFE REST STOP)

TO THE BACKSIDE BOTTOM OF GMR

UP GMR (THRU THE BACKSIDE) TO THE TOP OF GMR (STOP AT THE INFAMOUS REST STOP)

DOWN GMR TO THE BOTTOM (REST STOP) AND END UP AT THE BASE OF GMR IN GLENDORA. (REST STOP)

WE THEN TURN AROUND AND HEAD BACK OR PEOPLE CAN
ACTUALLY GET THE 210 AND HEAD OUT IF THEY WANT TO BUT THE BEST RIDE IS GOING UP GMR STARTING AT THE BASE OF GMR IN GLENDORA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
THROUGHOUT THIS RIDE WE WILL HAVE A FEW STOPS......THERE'S A CAFE BETWEEN AZUSA AND GMR

SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS--BAD COMPUTER!!!:

Old January 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #31
adri99an

That would be cool--some pics of us riding--I don't have one of me on my bike!!

Old January 4th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #32
currentsea
ninjette.org member

Anyone wanna get some food after the ride?

Old January 4th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #33
adri99an

If you want food in Glendora...there's "Legends"---great burgers and fries......from the base of GMR...Legends is about 8-10 minutes away....clean.... and worth it!!!

In Azusa..."Canyon City Barbeque" is good and close to where the Azusa Canyon entrance is...about 8-10 min as well.

Old January 4th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #34
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Sweet, this event is going to be the whole 9 yards!

Photoshoot, ride, meal, action shots.

I will bring my camera but it is only an average sony point and shoot. Is anyone willing to bring a DSLR? :crossing fingers:

Old January 5th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #35
ninja250
You are sleeping

Since I'm doing the video, might as well do the DSLR.
I better count my motorcycle blessings for now anyways.

I have a Nikon D70s I can bring. Only 6mp but a DSLR none the less.
I'll bring my normal nikon point and shoot coolpix too.

Too bad I can't edit the .mov files that come off the iPhone videos.
I can get video with the point and shoot from a stationary position as well though.That video I can edit. Maybe we can do a few video/photo passes.

Old January 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #36
iggysmalls
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I have home brewed camera mount that I can attach my point and shoot camera to, it does video too albeit, not HD.

I'm stoked, I haven't been on a formal group ride before!
iggysmalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #37
laraider
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r green(sold) 2009 zx6r green

love to come , but im too new, only have 25 miles so far, catch you guys up next time...
laraider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #38
currentsea
ninjette.org member

yeah , i think 25 miles is a little too new for the canyon run. get some practice in man and see u soon

Old January 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #39
Beast
Pure Imagination

Quote:
Hey, Chris... where's Ken these days?
Good question Kelly and with that, I have no answer

Quote:
BUT THE BEST RIDE IS GOING UP GMR STARTING AT THE BASE OF GMR IN GLENDORA.
That sounds like the opposite of the beginning of the plan (azusa going up the backside). Can we just do this instead (above)?

Quote:
If you want food in Glendora...there's "Legends"---great burgers and fries......from the base of GMR...Legends is about 8-10 minutes away....clean.... and worth it!!!
Sounds awesome man I'm always down for a good burger

Quote:
Sweet, this event is going to be the whole 9 yards!
It's about damn time! It's going to be quite a sight whenever there is more than one white 250r in the mix, err, I mean, whenever there is a PACK of 250s riding together

Quote:
Is anyone willing to bring a DSLR? :crossing fingers:
Hrmmm, I COULD mount my 5D Mark II to my fairings with some duct tape

Quote:
I have home brewed camera mount that I can attach my point and shoot camera to, it does video too albeit, not HD.
I'm going to bring my GoPro Hero for kicks hehe

Quote:
Why the maybe Kurosaki?
Yeah, wth is up with that?

Old January 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #40
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Hrmmm, I COULD mount my 5D Mark II to my fairings with some duct tape

Let me know when you're going to upgrade to the 7D so I can take that one off of your hands