ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old October 1st, 2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Cool Lost Wages to Area 51

So just for Akima in the Picture Challenge, today I made the long trek from Las Vegas to Area 51. Here’s some quick stats about my trip.

Starting point: North Las Vegas, NV
Ending point: Area 51 Back Gate
Total miles: 314.4
Time en route (round trip): 6 hours
Idiots noticed while driving: 0 (surprising, I know)
Camo/Government dudes spotted: 1 unconfirmed
Grampas driving: 5
Miles driven off-road: Approximately 20
Refuels: 1 (210 miles off of 4.5 gallons)
Average mpg: 46.7 (seems strangely low…)
Average highway speed: 82.5 mph off speedo (75 mph in reality)
Average highway rpm: 9450

So I started this trip off at around 8:00 in the morning, been planning this trip since the beginning of the week, just haven’t had the time to put into such a long trip. This trip actually began as the result of Akima wanting me to get chased by the military guys at the borders of Area 51, and well I naturally just couldn’t let that opportunity pass! I finally had an excuse to go visit Area 51, never been there before so I was very excited!

Originally, my plan was to take the route to Area 51’s front border. I did some research into it and came across several videos on Youtube of people following this route. Here’s the video I watched mostly regarding this:

Link to original page on YouTube.

After seeing what this guy went through, it was kind of a scary thought of taking that route… It’s just so open, and so easy to cross that border and get screwed, so I began looking at alternative places. Eventually I discovered the back gate entrance which was far cooler anyway since it was actually protected by a gate, and guard posts. Plus it had far more signs for me to take pics with, on top of the lack of government authorities, so I felt much more comfortable going there.

My route of travel: I-15/US-93 north, NV-375 north, Valley Road? (We’ll call it Back Gate Road), and finally the guard gates/huts at Area 51’s back entrance.

Before the ride I did a typical pre-flight inspection on good old Glycerine. Topped off the tire pressure, added a little oil since I have a very small oil leak, checked the brakes, all my lights etc and I was ready to go! My dad followed me in his massive Ford F-350 Super Duty (he went all out, Crew Cab, Long Bed, the whole 9) so he could assist me if Glycerine had a problem and to help take pictures. We topped off right before we got out of city limits.

The ride out was unsurprisingly uneventful. Mostly straight highway, very, very few curves of any sort. The constant hum of Glycerine at 9.4k rpms became nearly unnoticeable after the first hour or so. We eventually came to the 93 and 375 junction where the 375 was affectionately labeled the Extraterrestrial Highway

At this point Glycerine’s fuel gauge was saying she had just over half a tank left. I knew these things are inherently unreliable, so I figured I was probably actually sitting somewhere around 2/3 of a tank. From this sign, the town of Rachel was about 40 miles away and my turn off to the back gates of Area 51 was directly before Rachel. I figured I’d easily make it there and back since there was a gas station no more than 15 miles back or so. We pushed on but came to an abrupt stop maybe a mile further as this caught my attention out of the corner of my eye.

I naturally couldn’t resist the urge to take the picture. My dad at this point told me, “ You know, that sign we just passed said there’s no fuel for 150 miles.” Ohhhh boy, at this point I became just slightly concerned. I was sure that Rachel would have had a gas station or something, and even at this point I was still in some disbelief, how could a small town not have any gas stations period? So we pressed on further. From that point, we entered a small mountain pass, this was actually pretty fun, I kept my speed up at 75 through this small section of twisties, but my dad had to fall back. I was rather enjoying taking the curves that said 45 mph at speed. Got some decent lean angles, enough to satisfy my thirst for G’s but I think I could have done better still. I just didn’t trust the roads, who knew if there was going to be a gravel section right around each bend? So I took it kind of easy.

After exiting the mountain pass, I knew the dirt roads to the front entrance of Area 51 were coming up, there were a total of 3 dirt roads before Rachel, and the one I wanted to get to the back gate was the last dirt road. The first one passed, and soon after, the second one passed. Roughly 15 miles later, my exit came up. I glanced down at my gas gauge and saw that it was between the 1/4 line and the line directly above. I knew I was going to be in trouble if Rachel didn’t have gas. I told my dad to stay put on the side of the road. If the government freaked out that bad from just a dirt bike going down the trail in the Youtube video, I can’t imagine how crazy they’d go if I went on Glycerine in full gear and a backpack PLUS a huge truck following me. I was tempted to even leave my backpack behind just to help make me look less menacing, but discarded this thought as I might need my tools if this dirt road was going to be chaos on Glycerine. He agreed and decided to go into Rachel and see if there was a gas station up while I made my trek down the 10 miles of dirt road to Area 51’s back gate. The dirt road was surprisingly well packed down, even on my BT-003’s I was having no problem going 65 on the dirt after slowly working my way up in speed, testing my control along the way.

“Where are the government guys?” I thought all along the way, I knew they were watching me, their whole reason for leaving these roads unpaved was so that they could spot vehicles coming from the trail of dust easier, but I saw nothing and continued down the road. I came across a small black SUV in no time who was also traveling down the same road. They abruptly pulled over and waited. I wasn’t sure who they were so I just kept riding right on by. I’m assuming they may have thought that I was a government guy coming to hassle them since I wore my BDU pants like I normally do when I ride. They did nothing though, just some guy and a girl, probably going down to do the exact same thing I was going to do. Eventually I made it to a point where the dirt turned to pavement and I came to a sudden standstill. “What the heck?” I thought. Google Maps showed this entire road as dirt. Why did it suddenly switch to pavement? I began recalling those Youtube videos. At the other entrance, the point where the pavement began was where the government restricted zones began. I looked all over the place for the white trucks that would indicate that this was some sort of boundary, I even looked back for signs stating this area was off limits, but saw nothing. After some short debate, I decided to take my chances and continue on. I knew this was the right road, how could it not be? Rachel was LITERALLY right in front of me when I turned onto the dirt road, exactly where it was supposed to be. This road was like an acid trip or something. Birds, chickmunks, squirrels, rabbits, jakelopes, Big Foot and even his brother were all here! (Okay, maybe I made the last couple up), but seriously! It looked like some sort of scene out of Bambi or Alice in Wonderland with all of the animals darting left and right across the road! This continued all the way until I saw my destination. The back gate was in sight, and severe tunnel vision began, even my heart rate probably increased. I’ve been told that the back gate was unmanned, but it’s still something that’s a bit unsettling. What’s the worst that could have happened though? I was still on public roads, they couldn’t do anything as long as I didn’t go beyond the boundary (as if I would anyway). I rode right up to the gate and took a few pictures.

From here I bugged out fast! I wasn’t exactly comfortable standing right there, it was like I could feel the sniper scopes all over me! On the way, I passed that black SUV again who was still slowly making there way toward the gate (slow enough to not even leave a dust signature). I gave them a wave and they waved back. I knew I was getting into trouble though. I was down to just under the 1/4 tank line… And the gas station was a ways back. I finally made it back out to the main road and asked my dad what was up regarding the gas situation. He told me that the only station in Rachel was run down, all rusted out and obviously hadn’t been opened for decades. “Great…” I thought. I was screwed. There was NO WAY I was going to make it all the way back. I asked him to take the lead so I could draft off of him to try and squeeze every mile I could out of what gas was remaining in my tank. (Do not attempt this by the way if you can help it, it’s extremely dangerous and I’m fairly certain that it’s illegal). I tailgated that huge truck for miles. I was averaging about 7-10 feet directly behind him to maximize my draft. I knew I was screwed if he had to slam on the brakes really quick, but I trusted him and knew I’d be okay. We flew over the mountains and down the hill sides. Every moment that I could, I held the clutch in and just coasted to conserve every drop of gas. We soon passed the alien hanger place, and then the ET highway sign. We were going to do it! I couldn’t believe it! The gauge was indicating just under empty. I was full tuck for as long as I could take the uncomfort from being in that position when FINALLY there it was! The Shell Station! It felt like the gates of heaven had just opened up and reviled themselves to me! I swear you could even hear the sweet melody of those angels’ voices! I fist pumped the air in excitement and my dad even was throwing a party in the truck in approval. I filled her up and discovered that She had just under .3 gallons left (I put 4.5 gallons in, but I filled it up the neck a little too). We took a small break to celebrate our victory, then destroyed the poor gas station’s restroom and bailed to finish our return trip home.

The rest of the ride was as uneventful as the beginning, but I’ll never forget the fun I had on such a unique trip.

Special thanks to my dad for coming along with me as support! For Akima for putting me up to this challenge! Skippii for being my motivation for making such a huge ride report! And Glycerine for being a good girl and putting up with anything that came her way!

Last futzed with by Scattcatt; November 27th, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Scattcatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looks like a great trip! I especially like the picture of the sign that says photographs are prohibited ninjette represent!

if your average speed was 75 the whole way, 46 mpg isn't suprising. These bikes really run high rpm's on the freeway and suck gas like it's their job
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM   #3
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

PHOTOGRAPHY OF THIS AREA PROHIBITED!! LOL! thats awesome.. if this thread or pics suddenly vanish we know why!! haha!
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM   #4
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

OH OH :P looks fun xP

Old October 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Cool!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
2010Zen
ninjette.org member

Name: Nicholle (Nikki)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Glad that you made it back to the real civilization!! You know, I think I would be more scared of the critters that were crossing your path than the Military. Those critters have been exposed to all that funky testing they do out there!! Those lil buggers could have turned rabbid and thrown ya off of your bike!! LOL E.T. phone home!!!

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM   #7
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

very cool!!

Old October 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Awesome ride report! I especially enjoyed the video even though it wasn't yours haha
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:50 AM   #9
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Be careful, man. You might be followed for a while. Not even joking.
This seems like a fun trip. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!
Btw, why'd you name your bike "Glycerine"?

Old October 2nd, 2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
How long do you think the NSA will shadow you now?
Hopefully not at all! Otherwise they're in for a very boring shadow lol! The University, home, and out riding pretty much sum up my entire life at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
Be careful, man. You might be followed for a while. Not even joking.
This seems like a fun trip. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!
Btw, why'd you name your bike "Glycerine"?
The name "Glycerine" actually originally came from the band Bush when I heard it over the radio. I was like, "huh, I kinda like that name!" and looked into it a bit online. Turns out "Glycerine" is another name for Glycerol, which is a chemical used for many things such as in the food industry as a sweetener, the medical world for something else, and even as an engine coolant. I thought it was fitting so it stuck! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM   #11
94fiveohvert
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r, crf 50

where's the pictures? you're still alive right?!?
94fiveohvert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:45 PM   #12
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94fiveohvert View Post
where's the pictures? you're still alive right?!?
You can't see them? They're still up for me, anyone else out there having a problem seeing the pictures? And yes lol, I'm still quite alive

Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:49 PM   #13
94fiveohvert
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r, crf 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post
You can't see them? They're still up for me, anyone else out there having a problem seeing the pictures? And yes lol, I'm still quite alive
unfortunately no, i tried looking at your albums too. said invalid album specified.
94fiveohvert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM   #14
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Odd, I'll take them down and put them back up, maybe that'll work

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
I can still see 'em.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #16
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

No pics for me either...

Load them to a ninjette album.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

They are in a ninjette.org album already; I wonder if the album is marked private (so it's visible to admin but not other users other than him?) Not sure how to confirm this...

EDIT: It sure looks public to me. Can folks not see his album right here? http://www.ninjette.org/forums/album.php?albumid=796

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #18
dubojr1

Link says Invalid Album Specified.

Would it help to create a test thread and I can add a private album picture to it?

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Strange problem. I can replicate it; with a normal user account it says invalid album, for reasons that I can't explain. It appears public, and works fine with my account.

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #20
dubojr1

Alex: Can you host them in album until the issue can be resolved?

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK, how about now? (hit shift refresh on this thread, and everyone should be able to see the images in the first post now). The album is still saying "invalid" for folks, but the pics look available, even if someone isn't logged in at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Alex: Can you host them in album until the issue can be resolved?
I can, but I'd rather track down what's really wrong with the album. The pics should be visible now, at least, let me know if they're not.

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #22
dubojr1

Shift-refresh is not working for me.

Old October 24th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #23
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I just found this thread. You shoulda linked me it Zach. That was a great read. Lots of interesting lil moments. As for the bambi scene - I'm guessing those animals love being there because there are very few humans around. I doubt people would go deer hunting near Area 51! That's just asking for trouble.

I'm honoured to be the inspiration behind your adventure! The causation in this is cool. Girl in England tapping on her keyboard sets into motion the event of a guy in Las Vegas going on a father/son adventure to Area 51!

I bet riding at 60 down a dirt road is a nice feeling. I imagine it would feel a bit like you're drifting.

As for the missing pictures... is it too early to rule out Area 51 involvement? They've hacked the forum to remove the pictures!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Can anyone see this picture but me:

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #25
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Can anyone see this picture but me:

Nothing but a blank space on my screen.

Code:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=796&pictureid=6684
If I go to the picture url above then I'm taken to an empty page with the title "picture.php (GIF Image, 1×1 pixels)". That should be a hint. I suspect there is some anti-hotlinking code that is mistakenly being trigured. To fix it, it's probably just a matter of looking for configuration options related to hotlinking and ensuring that the www.ninjette.org and ninjette.org domain names are both white listed.

( This is all guess work... I'm a programmer )

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #26
dubojr1

I can't...

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Funny. In the quote that Akima has, I see the pic there as well. Try something for me - go to another browser, and log out of ninjette.org completely, and come back to the same thread. I see it when I'm not even logged in to the site, so there is something very strange going on with the permissions of that particular album (and evidently the pictures in it as well), affecting normal users being able to see it. While admin users and non-users can apparently see it...

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #28
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Funny. In the quote that Akima has, I see the pic there as well. Try something for me - go to another browser, and log out of ninjette.org completely, and come back to the same thread. I see it when I'm not even logged in to the site, so there is something very strange going on with the permissions of that particular album (and evidently the pictures in it as well), affecting normal users being able to see it. While admin users and non-users can apparently see it...
Oh yeah - if you can see it then it wont be related to anti-hotlinking.

I tried going to this thread in another browser (Chrome) which I am not logged in on. The pictures don't appear for me in that either.

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #29
dubojr1

I tried IE with no luck either.

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'll play more tonight. Need to work.

Old October 24th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #31
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I'll play more tonight. Need to work.
All work no play makes Alex a sad boy

Old October 24th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #32
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

I'm no computer techie lol, but is there anything I can do on my end to try and fix this, Alex? It's marked as public, I verified that, and I know everyone was able to see them before, should I just erase the whole album and start from scratch?

Old October 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Actually, I'd prefer if you left it as is. I want to figure out what's wrong and fix it (so it doesn't happen again). Right now it's a bit of a mystery. Which fits well with the subject of the pictures as well.

Old October 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #34
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Actually, I'd prefer if you left it as is. I want to figure out what's wrong and fix it (so it doesn't happen again). Right now it's a bit of a mystery. Which fits well with the subject of the pictures as well.
you got it!

Old October 24th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #35
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

No pics here either. Maybe post them to Flicker until this gets sorted out. Assuming the .gov boys haven't done something.

Old October 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #36
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

With Alex's permission, sure, but I fully understand his reasoning for wanting to preserve the current situation. I'm not sure if a temporary upload to Flickr will change the circumstances or not for him
Posted via Mobile Device
Scattcatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #37
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
With Alex's permission, sure, but I fully understand his reasoning for wanting to preserve the current situation. I'm not sure if a temporary upload to Flickr will change the circumstances or not for him
Posted via Mobile Device
If they are your photos, I'm not sure why you would need Alex's permission to post them elsewhere as well. A lot of guys post stuff there and then link it here with the [IMG] tag.

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #38
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Here are all pics as attachments. Will still be working with the original gallery to see if I can figure out what's going on with the permissions.

user7229_pic6683_1317503745.jpg user7229_pic6684_1317503745.jpg user7229_pic6687_1317503840.jpg user7229_pic6689_1317503840.jpg user7229_pic6692_1317509901.jpg

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #39
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
If they are your photos, I'm not sure why you would need Alex's permission to post them elsewhere as well. A lot of guys post stuff there and then link it here with the [IMG] tag.
simply a courtesy for Alex is the only reason.

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #40
BobsPT
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bobby

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Cool pics !
BobsPT is offline   Reply With Quote