ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
bud_44
ninjette.org member

Name: bud

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Clastic and 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Talking Ninja EX250-F climbing mountain?

Hi everyone. I have not yet rode a Ninja 250. I hope to buy a 2004 to 2006 EX250-F in the near future. When I was 15 and learning to drive I was with my family driving about a 1960 Chevy wagon, small motor stick shift. I tried to climb this very steep mountain in 2nd gear. Big mistake. I ruined the clutch trying to get going. A sign I passed said to drive in low gear which I didn't do.

I hope to visit this same mountain with my wife on my Ninja EX250-F after I get it. My question is, how many RPM's should I have in 1st gear at the bottom of this mountain to make it to the top and not hurt the engine? There is a good chance the bike will be over loaded with us and gear.

Thanks so much for your help. Ride safe my friends.
bud_44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #2
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_44 View Post
...There is a good chance the bike will be over loaded with us and gear.
I was rooting for you until you said this.... Use your car.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
1st gear, 15000rpm works for me!

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4
bud_44
ninjette.org member

Charlie, I'm hoping to have Ninja 500 shocks on the back of my Ninja 250. That should solve the overloaded problem. I'd much rather take the bike than my car. Can you give me a good 1ST gear RPM to make this climb? I'll watch the temperature gauge while I make the climb. From the top of this mountain you can see Isle Royal on a clear day. I've seen it. Please help with my 1ST gear RPM question. Thanks.

Old April 19th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Are we talking paved roads or wooded gravel/dirt trails here?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #6
bud_44
ninjette.org member

Sorry

The road is a very good black topped road.

Old April 20th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #7
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Use whatever gear that puts you at the speed you want to go. There is no set RPM to use for any situation. During the climb, upshift around 10,000 and keep upshifting until the bike stops accelerating. If it starts slowing down, downshift.

Just to let you know, it's not the shocks I'm worried about. Riding an overloaded bike is unsafe from every perspective. It's not just a suspension issue. All bikes have a weight limit. In your case, it's around 340 lbs.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #8
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Cbdallas is correct. Not sure anyone will be able to give you a more specific answer because there are so many variables. For reference, I have a steep grade hill to climb on my way home everyday. This hill begins immediately after a hairpin right turn so I am beginning with no momentum. With my 165lbs frame and 30lbs of gear and load I generally make the first half of my ascent in first and I have to take first gear to 10k rpm in order to shift into 2nd. If I shift before then I will bog in second. I have a 15t front sprocket so my low end power is lower than stock. I also have shimmed 2 washers. This is a pretty short climb though about 1/8 mile. Hope that helps. Good luck.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
He's right. The other issue with overloading the bike by carrying a passenger is that so much of that weight is on the back wheel. Motorcycles are most stable when their weight is in between the wheels.

As for RPM's while climbing, just treat it like you're riding twisties. Keep it above 8,000 and be ready to downshift when you need more.

Old April 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #10
bud_44
ninjette.org member

I weigh 220 pounds and my wife weighs 110 pounds. About 2/3 of weight will be on both tires. The hill is about one mile high with the first half being very steep. Good chance I'll have stock gears in my Ninja 250. I'll take your advice and keep my RPM's between 8,000 and 8,500. Thanks much for your help. Ride safe my friend.

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Get it in the fun zone around 10k!!

8k is just a good idea for where you're going to want to downshift.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:58 AM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Bud,

Welcome to the site, I haven't yet said hello. There are a few things that can help with your question: Ninja 250 Speed Calculator will tell you how fast you will travel at each gear for each RPM. How much weight and the grade of the road will of course be a factor that is hard to say. But the calculator will give you a baseline at least. You might also want to take a look at the dyno chart below, which is for pre-2008 ninjette. As you'll see, peak HP hits at 10,500 RPM and peak torque around 9000. No need to rev that high, but you will see the steepness of the HP curve - you have to be above 7k pretty much.

Also, I wanted to second the minor warning you've seen in this thread. I love my ninjette, but it isn't the best gear and passenger hauler out there. Many people have done it - some have ridden in Iron Butt rallies, some have done international touring - but it isn't the most natural fit. It will take some effort and time to make it work, and it will never be a highway cruiser loaded up with gear and a passenger above about 70 mph. That said, there are some good (and inexpensive) fixes to help adapt the bike to this purpose, just know you are going to be fighting the HP . . .

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:58 AM   #13
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I agree with the others; the Ninja 250 is not the best tool for 2-up touring. Why not just use your V-Star or your Concourse? Just because something can be done doesn't mean its a good idea. the strengths of the Ninja 250 are its handling and resposiveness ( and fuel economy ) with a solo rider. Good luck and ride safe.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:19 AM   #14
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

It doesn't matter, if it's climbing and it's going, then whatever makes it go.

If your just revving and NOT moving....then its time to stop or your motor might get bum raped

Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM   #15
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_44 View Post
I weigh 220 pounds and my wife weighs 110 pounds. About 2/3 of weight will be on both tires. The hill is about one mile high with the first half being very steep. Good chance I'll have stock gears in my Ninja 250. I'll take your advice and keep my RPM's between 8,000 and 8,500. Thanks much for your help. Ride safe my friend.
There's a stretch of Interstate 26 I travel on the way to Deals Gap that's about three miles long and a 6-7% grade, climbing to an elevation of about 2000 ft. It may not sound like much, but for me and my bike I need to be in 4th gear (8-8.5k rpms / 58-61 mph) most of the way to stay a little ahead of traffic speed. To give you an idea of what I'm working with:
My weight; 225-230 fully geared
My bike gearing; 15/41
Avg speed on this grade road; approx 60 mph

Depending on your bike's set up, speed limit and the grade at which the road you're traveling on is, 2 up may be tasking the bike right at it's max load capacity and usable HP. If you can, I would try it alone first. Keep in mind there will be a lot of factors that can come in to play such as, wind ( that's a killa) temp, humidity, altitude and avg travel, which will determine how the bike performs.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #16
bud_44
ninjette.org member

I'll take your advice Blue and climb it alone first. The bike will not have any gear on it. If I do good I'll climb it with my wife with me. Thanks much for your help. Ride safe.

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #17
bud_44
ninjette.org member

Vic, my V-Star 1100 is the first cruiser I have ever owned. When I bought it I thought I could use it for a long distance cruiser, but I was wrong. It is fine for short rides, 50 to 150 miles. The wind tires a person quickly. No good easy fix for it. My Concourse is great fun to ride and I have it set up for long trips with a 52L Givi box on the back. No problem with bike loaded and my wife and I on it. It corners like it's on rails. The problem is at my age, almost 68, the bike is just to much bike for me. I want a lighter motorcycle that is easy to handle. I'm quite sure the Ninja 250 is the right bike for me. Thanks for your reply. Ride safe.