Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old April 12th, 2018, 02:51 AM   #1
PredaClone
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

New noob

'lo everyone. PredaClone here (Eric sounds much too boring!) from Milwaukee, WI area - about an hour north of Chicago for those of you who aren't brushed up on your geography or don't live in the U.S.

Dunno how active this forum is, most posts seem old-ish. Hoping that's because the bike's been around a long time so a lot of info already exists. Fingers crossed!
PredaClone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2018, 03:15 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
PredaClone! Glad you found us...

Old April 12th, 2018, 09:15 AM   #3
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaClone View Post
'lo everyone. PredaClone here (Eric sounds much too boring!) from Milwaukee, WI area - about an hour north of Chicago for those of you who aren't brushed up on your geography or don't live in the U.S.

Dunno how active this forum is, most posts seem old-ish. Hoping that's because the bike's been around a long time so a lot of info already exists. Fingers crossed!
this forum is super active. jump in and welcome.

Old April 12th, 2018, 10:04 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2018, 10:11 AM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2018, 10:15 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 14th, 2018, 09:38 PM   #7
MillerTime
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): CharlesdiubsOB

Welcome aboard!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2018, 04:57 PM   #8
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2018, 08:30 PM   #9
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
hi

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2018, 07:19 AM   #10
PredaClone
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Thumbs up Thanks! And hopefully help my nerves

Before anything, I want to apologize for the length of this post. When I started writing it it was just a couple questions in my head; it sort of ballooned as I went on. And on. And on...

My fear of forum non-activity was definitely misplaced, love it. And I'm rather happy that's the case, since other than the obvious reasons to be on a forum, I've got a huge need to have a community to help me out.

I'll explain...
I've been riding bikes forever. Started on dirt bikes 30+ years ago. I now ride sport bikes and will continue to do so until, very literally, my body can't handle riding in a sport bike's body triangle. I've gone all the way up the ladder of bikes, including a 'busa at one point, but I am on the way back down now. I decided I was ok with the size of my manhood and wasn't going to compensate for said body part. Now have a ZX-6R and an R6, I ride them both, and I ride them hard. I say all this so you know I'm not "that guy" who sees someone on a bike and thinks it's dangerous and everyone should drive around in cages.

Now, the important part...
My son is 17, a junior in high school. He's been talking about wanting to get a bike for a long time, dropping more and more hints in the last several months. As the weather's slowly gotten better, his comments and queries have been getting less subtle and stated more often. A little while back, I told him I'll keep an eye out for a bike at the right price that'll be something good as a first road bike. I found a good bike at a good price that he can use to really learn riding technique - picking a good line through a corner, knowing when to trail break, when to roll on throttle, shifting body position for faster cornering, etc. You guys all know what I'm talking about, and certainly don't need ME to explain it.

I didn't tell him about it right away, first I laid down a very specific ground rule. When we find the right bike, I'm not giving him the keys until he's at least taken the basic MSF course. He was fine with that, and still didn't know I had one in mind. And I kept it to myself, for multiple reasons - in case he sold to someone else, took a ride and totaled it, whatever - mostly to not get his hopes up.

So, about 10 days ago he and I went to look at the bike. Long story short, that day we bought my son his first road bike.

A Ninja 300.

Like I said before, I'm not "the guy" that thinks it's too dangerous. Not only would that be absolutely hypocritical, but I don't have that mind-set, either. I simply don't believe riding a bike is dangerous.

My struggle is this...
We've established bikes aren't inherently dangerous. The difference here is he's my son and I don't want anything to happen to him, regardless of the activity. I love riding. Day or night, gray skies or blue. Heck, if there's snow on the ground but the roads are clear, I'll ride in the middle of winter. Riding has given me a lifetime of great moments, and running through some twisties is the best anti-depressant I've ever used.

Coming back to what I was originally going to say...
Even though I don't think riding is dangerous, something happening to him is a really, really terrible thing to consider. Think about it like flying. Someone is 75+% more likely to crash DRIVING TO THE AIRPORT than on the flight itself. Fear of flying is irrational, but a lot of people are afraid to fly. I'm not. It's just not something that frightens me. But if my son is on a flight, I worry about the flight regardless of how irrational it is.

This post had a logical conclusion before I started typing, I lost it somewhere along the way. Um...
Ah, yah, I remember now. Anyone else who's a parent, guardian, sibling, friend, etc., know someone who rides and worries about that person despite knowing there's really nothing to worry about? This isn't something I constantly think about, or paralyzes me, or anything of that sort. Once in awhile in pops into my head and it's annoying, since I know it's stupid to consider. But it still pops into my head.

How do you cope?

Oh, and thanks for the welcoming - I'm thinking it's gonna be quite enjoyable being here!

- Pred

----------

Sent from my mobile phone - content is mine. Typos and other mistakes courteously supplied by autocorrect.
PredaClone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2018, 09:53 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and welcome!

With kids, it’s tough watching them go through the same experiences as you. My parents let me ride dirt bikes with my friends before getting license. That really helped qwell their fears somewhat.

I think the best we can do is educate our kids, and prepare them and get them ready for what life throws at them. Unless you want to ride pillion to watch over him on every ride!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2018, 10:16 AM   #12
CaliGrrl

My husband has ridden since forever, and I always worry, though I know his defensive-driving skills are impressive.

I'm sure he worries about me, since I've only been riding a couple of years now. I've worked on my defensive-driving skills; I've always been a believer in it, but riding a bike has taken that game up a notch or three in a way that surprised me. How do I ease his worries? I've made sure to be fairly visible about being defensive on the roads, to let him see me making good choices when we ride together.

So as far as allaying your worries.... Set a timeline where he isn't allowed to ride on his own, only with you? Let him learn while you watch him. Make him demonstrate he understands how to stay safe on the roads?

I don't have kids myself, but the thing that made an impression on me when I *was* a kid learning to drive was a near-crash that my dad was able to avoid by defensive driving. I decided in that moment that I'd listen to what the old man said when he taught me to drive.

Old April 18th, 2018, 01:54 PM   #13
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Off the top of my head @VaFish @csmith12 @Alex @jkv45 @Misti all have kids on bikes maybe one or two will chime in.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2018, 02:49 PM   #14
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Al the top of your head is pretty good!

I have 4 children, ages 26, 25, 22, and 19. The younger three ride. (my wife and the oldest one won't even ride on the back of a bike)

The 19 is year old daughter wanted to ride first, she had her bike learners permit before she had her car drivers license. Just barely 16 when she started to ride. Her older brothers followed suit. How do I cope with the stress? That's a really good question.

The reason I came here to the Ninjette forums was because when my daughter wanted to start riding I didn't have a bike, I found 2 non-running Ninja 250's on Craiglist one for $300 and one for $400. She worked on hers while I worked on mine and we got them both running. So one thing that helps with the stress is I know she knows how to take care of her bike.

So If your son is 17 I assume you have taught him how to drive a car already. Remember those first few times out in the car how stressful it was? Multiply that by about a factor of 10 and you get an idea how I felt on the first couple of rides with my daughter. It's calmed down a little bit, but you want stressful? Watch this video, the rider with the black helmet and camel back on the black Ninja 250 is my daughter. I'm two bikes in front of her. Video was shot by a friend. You can skip ahead to about the 4:00 minute mark for the action. Again the Sena paid for itself because I could talk to my daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU0IrS7jkew

A couple of things that really helped me.

1. Here in Virginia if you are under 19 years old and even if you take the MSF class you don't get your license, you get a motorcycle riders permit. The permit comes with a couple of big restrictions. First no passengers, second you have to ride with a licensed rider over the age of 21 that is close enough to you to render assistance. Since dear old dad was the only licensed rider she knew that meant for the first 9 months she had her license the only time she could ride was if she went out with dad. That meant I controlled the ride, where we went, how fast ect...... I also took the MSF BRC so I would know what she had been taught and would be able to reinforce that.

2. I got us Sena Bluetooth headsets. As far as I am concerned they paid for themselves on the first ride. The first corner we came into she did just what she had been taught in class when you come to a turn, shift down to 1st gear. No slipper clutch on the old 250's, I heard her tire screeching and shouted "Clutch IN" over the intercom. Then we had a quick discussion as she was riding about the proper way to corner and what gear to be in. Then we practiced some corners till she got it right. Then on the second ride we were going down a little country road and she says "Dad I can't feel my shifter" I told her to take a look down and see where it was, the bolt had some loose and it was dangling. We pulled over, pulled out the tool kit and put it back together.

Another thing I have to say is I really applaud you for going with a Ninja 300 for your sons first bike. My daughter went to a high school of about 3,000 kids. She was one of two that rode motorcycles. The other one had an R6 for his first bike. He spent about 2 1/2 months of his senior year in the hospital and recuperating at home from his injuries after crashing.

It is great fun riding with your kids, it is also stressful doing so. I worry much more about them than I do about me. But I also know the joy of riding a motorcycle and I want my kids to enjoy life. Besides my daughter that doesn't ride, I still worry about her.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 18th, 2018, 03:01 PM   #15
CaliGrrl

OOohh, yeah, headsets. Invaluable. My husband could coach me while I was learning to corner and all. I'd forgotten how useful they were.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2018, 07:34 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Ahhhh yea....

Let's address the elephant in the room right off!

"Your parenting gut will sink to the bottom when you witness your child fall the first time." You will say to yourself "I knew it" and "It's my fault" and... "I should have known better." Then comes the frustration and slightly aggravation/mild anger that comes along for the ride. "How could I have been so dumb," "He/she should have known better," and... "Dammit!!!! I told them NOT to do that."

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

As a parent, I have learned to let life happen. It IS and always WILL BE that way and the only thing we can do as parents is ensure our offspring make good choices. So... what are the good choices here?;

The right bike was selected
Proper gear/bike prep was completed to assist in a successful outcome
ABOVE and beyond training was completed to instill a good riding mindset and riding habits

FYI... good riding habits start well before the ride. Rider mood, weather, environment, bike readiness, planned trip, destination, time, schedule, bla bla bla, all play a part in "will this ride be successful." Having plan b on tap before you throw a leg over goes a LOOONNNNGGGGG way.

You have to do your part in prep work, to lay a good foundation for them to build upon. You can also go the extra mile. My son is also 17, has his 2nd bike now; the first was a small dirt bike and he now has a n250 (my old one). I know my son, he is bold and daring, this is not good for a n00b rider. His first experience on a motorized vehicle was a 4wheeler, where he learned about clutches and shifting gears. Next was a pw80 (no clutch), where learned about throttle control. Then, the two came together on a bigger dirt bike in a wide open field, where he learned to put it all together on two wheels. Did that stop him from rolling the 4wheeler over? Nope.... Did that stop him from tipping over the dirt bike? Nope... Did that stop him from panicking and running full throttle into the fence? YES SIR!!!

Sounds like you have a solid plan, but you know your child best. Do what you need to do to make sure they are prepared for success BEFORE they throw a leg over. Nothing else will help set your mind at ease, knowing they will gear up, and ride in a well behaved manner. With respect to others and themselves.

Lastly, as an overprotective parent, take your son to the track after the BRC course, a good amount of parking lot practice and some "off peak" hours of road riding time. The track RIDING SCHOOL at a track may sound like a scary place, but honestly... there is NO better place to learn.

Qualified coaches,
Corner workers watching each corner
A clean and debris free riding surface
On-site medical
Proper gear and mechanical operation of the bike is required and checked
and so on, and so on....

And if you do a riding school, DO NOT ride with your child. Let the school AND your son do their thang.

Good luck to you both!

ps.... relax! Your confidence or lack there of, will show to your son. They know.... and don't forget to celebrate the success and not dwell on the mistakes.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2018, 04:15 PM   #17
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome.

When I got my first bike my dad told me the following...
Don't ride on the highway, semis are bad
Don't ride on gravel
Don't ride in the rain or snow
Dont ride in alleys
Don't ride at night
Don't ride during peak times rush hour
Don't ride alone....
By the time he was done I could ride in the garage only...
I was in my late 30s and married, too.
Now, we ride together. He worries but knows I wear my gear and I am a defensive rider. After riding with me and seeing how well I did he has backed off. Now he tells this stuff to my older brother who is looking at getting a bike...lol

Old May 4th, 2018, 09:33 AM   #18
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaClone View Post
Anyone else who's a parent, guardian, sibling, friend, etc., know someone who rides and worries about that person despite knowing there's really nothing to worry about? This isn't something I constantly think about, or paralyzes me, or anything of that sort. Once in awhile in pops into my head and it's annoying, since I know it's stupid to consider. But it still pops into my head.

How do you cope?

Oh, and thanks for the welcoming - I'm thinking it's gonna be quite enjoyable being here!

- Pred

----------

Sent from my mobile phone - content is mine. Typos and other mistakes courteously supplied by autocorrect.
Great question!! I have two kids, a son (almost 9) and a daughter 6. My son is a daredevil and started dirt biking at 4 and then road racing at 6. People ask me all the time how I can allow him to participate in such a "dangerous" sport.

Here are my thoughts. First of all, I'm a riding coach and I have taught my son to ride from day 1. I believe in his abilities and his judgement and until I begin to question those, I will stand by him and cheer him on. He wears all the gear all the time and knows that if he doesn't, that's it. And I mean IT. He races on a closed circuit under careful control with an ambulance on site or nearby and that eases my fears as well. I continue to work on improving his riding skills and ensuring he is the best rider possible.

My suggestions are to get your son rider training, as much as possible as soon as possible. You want him to have the correct riding skills right off the bat and sometimes those skills can literally save a life. I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and have been for the past 14 years. I know for certain that many of the skills taught and learned at our school have saved people's lives on the street and track (mine included) and cannot think of a single more important thing to teach/encourage then proper riding skills. The street IS dangerous, in my opinion more dangerous than any race track or track day and that is because of the added unknown variables of other cars, oil, dirt, and things that you can hit if you crash. My rules for my family are that they can ride dirt or track but not on the street until they are out of the house- and if they choose to ride on the street then, you will be sure that they have taken at least all 4 levels of the California Superbike School and more!

As for how to cope and handle them out riding. I take things day by day, moment by moment. Anything my kids do have the potential to be dangerous. They could fall out of the tree they are climbing or get hit by a car running across the street. I could keep them bubble wrapped their whole lives only to find out they have cancer or some other terminal disease. We could get into a car crash on the way to the track, etc etc. I like to live life in a manner that allows us all to appreciate each moment and to not regret our choices. I will prepare my children to participate in any sport or activity with the best knowledge, skill, gear, support, guidance as possible and after that, take a deep breath and cheer them on. It's not easy and I certain do fear for their safety but ultimately it comes down to trust. I trust them and I love them so I'll set them free.

Send it!

I hope that helps! If you have any questions about the California Superbike School or any skills/techniques/racing/riding questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

All the best!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2018, 09:47 AM   #19
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Welcome.

When I got my first bike my dad told me the following...
Don't ride on the highway, semis are bad
Don't ride on gravel
Don't ride in the rain or snow
Dont ride in alleys
Don't ride at night
Don't ride during peak times rush hour
Don't ride alone....
By the time he was done I could ride in the garage only...
I was in my late 30s and married, too.
Now, we ride together. He worries but knows I wear my gear and I am a defensive rider. After riding with me and seeing how well I did he has backed off. Now he tells this stuff to my older brother who is looking at getting a bike...lol
You must have a huge garage!

Old May 4th, 2018, 11:48 AM   #20
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'm sure you know folks just as concerned about your riding as you are about his... Have you ever discussed their worries with them? If so you know just what to say to yourself!

Wish my dad bought me a 300; good going!!!

Old May 4th, 2018, 12:49 PM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Since I'm not a parent I got nothin' to add to what's been said, other than that I'm with @csmith12.... a track experience will have a HUGE impact on his development as a rider (and a young man), and not just in terms of skill. He'll be exposed to friendly people who ride well, not just ride fast.

The thing that kills so many young men is that they're, well, young men, with all that implies. A sense of indestructibility. A desire for thrills. An urge to be a badass, prove oneself and impress people. A tendency to do stupid sh*t that will make for a good story someday if they survive, prefaced by "I'm amazed I'm still alive."

Going to a riding school means he'll have direct contact with people who are older, wiser, more responsible and who really DO know how to ride.

Oh, and one more thing. Your kid is one of the luckiest guys on the planet, to have a dad like you. Most kids have to battle the "NO WAY you're getting a motorcycle!" thing.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote