ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 5th, 2018, 08:09 PM   #1
FsckCommies
Total Noob

Name: Dallin

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R

Erratic Idle, Been trying to fix for the last two weeks.

Hello,

I am very very new to motorcycles. Just some background, I used to work on cars with my step-dad a lot so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. Just don't want to tear my bike apart if I don't have to.

I have an issue with my idle, It idles too high so I adjust the screw, then it either idles just right and...
A) Dies when I give it throttle
B) Take forever to return to Idle
C) Doesn't return to Idle at all so I adjust the screw then either A or B occur.

I checked the boots for cracks or obvious issues, Did not find any. I don't have any starter spray or propane to test for leaks with but there are no obvious vacuum leaks. I am linking a video to this post to show the issue.

Yesterday I added half a can of Seafoam to the gas and it seemed to help a little bit, It does't just die at idle by itself anymore, It only dies when given gas. Sometimes...as explained above. The other thing I noticed is half the time the throttle does not respond normally, It lags until I roll on more then it shoots up in RPMs. Doesn't happen while riding so much as when its sitting still. The bike was ridden all day today so it was warm when I performed the video. Today in particular It was idling at 3K. The other day, before the seafoam, I would have to roll on the throttle just a little every 5-10 seconds to keep it alive at stop lights/signs.

Please check out the video, if anyone has any tips for me, possible issues to look into, please explain exactly how I would go about performing these tests as, like I said, I'm very new to motorcycles.

Video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=6UfL2uHR...ature=youtu.be

Thank you all in advance, I've heard great things about this forum.
FsckCommies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2018, 11:45 PM   #2
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Has this been your bike for a while ? Have you used it before ?
I had the same issue with a bike I picked up for spares. I decided to fix it up once I had taken the parts I needed. The idle with slow return was caused by a previous owner that had put one of the carbs back together incorrectly, such that the needle was just floating around in the slide. It would rev up & take a random amount of time to come back down to idle. Worked great when I put the needle back in how it should be.

The idle should be at 1500rpm +/- 100 rpm. 1000rpm is to low. Idle RPM should be set with an engine at normal running temperature, not cold.

If you have an air leak, then any fluid around th3 boots will seal the hole or at least cause a reaction. Check the fast idle (choke) returns to off position & that the throttle cables & carb connection return to idle position on the idle screw every time.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2018, 07:18 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
When the speed drops, it sounds like it's running on one cylinder. Are the exhaust pipes about the same temperature? If you can keep it running the slow speed for a while and check, that might give a clue.

Are the valve clearances in spec? A compression test would show low pressure if they're not closing all the way when cold. Checking the clearances might be just as easy as the pressure test though.

When I got my 250 the valve clearances were too tight, and when the engine was cold it wanted to either idle way too fast or hardly run at all. I couldn't set the idle RPM to anything stable.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2018, 02:47 PM   #4
FsckCommies
Total Noob

Quote:
Has this been your bike for a while ? Have you used it before ?
Its been my bike for....A month and a half. I've been riding for 3 weeks.

Quote:
Are the exhaust pipes about the same temperature?...Are the valve clearances in spec? A compression test would show low pressure if they're not closing all the way when cold. Checking the clearances might be just as easy as the pressure test though.
Just got back from a ride about 30 minutes ago, both exhaust pipes seem to be the same temperature. How would I go about performing a compression test? Do I need any special tools for it?

EDIT: Just adding onto this, I rode it today to test because I wanted the seafoam to have a day or two to do something. It idles at 1.8-2K. I know idling high can drain more gas and cause overheating...But its 104 degrees today and it didn't overheat, was totally fine. I don't mind the slightly extra gas consumption. Other than those things Am I cool to leave it at around 1.8k?

Last futzed with by FsckCommies; July 6th, 2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: More info

Old July 11th, 2018, 08:56 PM   #5
FsckCommies
Total Noob

SOLVED:

Thank you for all your suggestions, a kind redditor was able to help me. He asked me to put about a half can of seafoam in it then ride it like hell to work the seafoam through the jets. This worked! My idle is now stable around 1500 RPM. Thank you to those of you who replied!