Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old February 4th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #1
Winder
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250

Howdy from SC!

Hi everyone, just got into riding and got my first bike..a 06 Ninja 250. I've been riding for about 6 months now. Im loving it, but I tend to think about the serious side of things a little too much (like getting hit or ran over by a large trucks and suvs), and it kind of ruins the fun of it for me. We have a lot of drivers here, and Riding in traffic on the highway grinds on my nerves so much that I'm beginning to look at it as something I don't wanna do anymore.

Anyone have any tips on how to increase my riding confidence so that I can actually have fun riding out there amongst other people on the roads?, and help it to not just feel like an exercise in road survival for me? I do wear full gear so that helps...I'm loving track riding though, as I don't have to worry about getting ran over.

Glad to be aboard here!
Winder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Hi Dave, it's good to meet you. My solution is to find roads that have very little traffic. Around here that's easy. I know your area a bit because I spent some time working up around Georgetown. You should be able to head west, northwest, southwest, and find back roads that are fun to ride. Just stay away from the coast, route 17, and the main roads into the area like 26 and the ones that parallel it. Looking at a map now, I see a lot of little roads west of town, and some look pretty curvy. You just have to check a map to get some ideas of where you want to try going, and go out and see how it works out.

In my area, if I stuck to the larger roads, I wouldn't have a lot of fun. There aren't many curves, and there are enough cars to take what little fun there is away. But I've found many very back-road routes and regularly use them when I need to go somewhere. My dentist is about 70 miles east of here, so instead of taking the hour and fifteen minute direct route, I take a deserted road version that adds maybe 15 minutes, and make it very enjoyable. I've gone that way and not seen another vehicle for 25 miles at a stretch. You just need to work out similar routes near you.

As far as skills that make you confident, attending a track day will teach you more about handling the bike in one day than you'll learn in a year on the road. The other thing you have to get good at is watching what's going on, and riding in a way that lets you avoid problems before they become problems. Always stay in control, and don't get in a situation in which a guy pulling out in front of you, or turning left into you "forces" you to crash. Anticipate that he could do that, and adjust your speed and position so when he does the wrong thing, you can handle it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #4
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Welcome
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #5
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome

Old February 6th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #6
Winder
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Hi Dave, it's good to meet you. My solution is to find roads that have very little traffic. Around here that's easy. I know your area a bit because I spent some time working up around Georgetown. You should be able to head west, northwest, southwest, and find back roads that are fun to ride. Just stay away from the coast, route 17, and the main roads into the area like 26 and the ones that parallel it. Looking at a map now, I see a lot of little roads west of town, and some look pretty curvy. You just have to check a map to get some ideas of where you want to try going, and go out and see how it works out.

In my area, if I stuck to the larger roads, I wouldn't have a lot of fun. There aren't many curves, and there are enough cars to take what little fun there is away. But I've found many very back-road routes and regularly use them when I need to go somewhere. My dentist is about 70 miles east of here, so instead of taking the hour and fifteen minute direct route, I take a deserted road version that adds maybe 15 minutes, and make it very enjoyable. I've gone that way and not seen another vehicle for 25 miles at a stretch. You just need to work out similar routes near you.

As far as skills that make you confident, attending a track day will teach you more about handling the bike in one day than you'll learn in a year on the road. The other thing you have to get good at is watching what's going on, and riding in a way that lets you avoid problems before they become problems. Always stay in control, and don't get in a situation in which a guy pulling out in front of you, or turning left into you "forces" you to crash. Anticipate that he could do that, and adjust your speed and position so when he does the wrong thing, you can handle it.
Thank you Jim, excellent advice. I definately try my best to stick to back roads here when riding, even if only to avoid drivers. I've already had a couple close calls with people not seeing me.

Old February 6th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Congrats on your new bike! You've got the same year bike I do, 2006.

As far as being in traffic, learn to predict what people might do, and you start to develop that sense of which car's going to do something stupid. Look at everything, all the time, not from paranoia, but awareness. You start to see patterns in traffic, which group is moving where, and what the general trend is. You can do this kind of watching whether you're driving or riding.

Assume you're invisible on the bike. How do you find the gaps in traffic, so you have a place to go where you're away from the spaces where cars can hurt you. I've become much more aware of when cars can't see me than I had been before. Blind spots, trees blocking their view, being hidden behind other vehicles, that kind of thing. If you can't see their eyes, you *know* they don't see you.

And yes, use the back roads. More fun, less traffic.

Some of this is just getting used to being on the bike in traffic. My first few times out on the big roads? Nerve-wracking. Now? Not so bad. Well, other than that highways aren't all that much fun. Straight and boring. But I don't mind dealing with traffic so much.

Maybe you can meet up with one or two other riders and go out on a fun road. It sometimes helps your visibility to have company. Plus it's more fun to ride with friends!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Welcome, here are just a few things to think about,

1.Get trained and licensed MSF Courses

2.ALWAYS Wear protective gear -- ATGATT All The Gear, All The Time -- including a helmet manufactured to the standards set by a government agency.

3.ALWAYS Ride unimpaired by alcohol or other drugs

4.ALWAYS Ride within your own skill limits and road conditions.

5.Be a lifelong learner by taking refresher rider courses, and advanced rider course A.R.C.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218237

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...8&postcount=26

A.T.G.A.T.T. so I may ride another day.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.
Notice how the right shoulder seemed to tear?

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Even if interstates are the least deadly roads them big trucks give me the creeps... I know how you feel bout traffics

Old February 7th, 2017, 02:33 AM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
P.s. Ride like your invisible

Old February 7th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #11
CaliGrrl

Riding a bike, I've learned just how nasty the air currents get around those big trucks. A windy wave off the front, and turbulence at the back, and a suck zone in the middle.

Old February 8th, 2017, 12:09 PM   #12
Winder
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Congrats on your new bike! You've got the same year bike I do, 2006.

As far as being in traffic, learn to predict what people might do, and you start to develop that sense of which car's going to do something stupid. Look at everything, all the time, not from paranoia, but awareness. You start to see patterns in traffic, which group is moving where, and what the general trend is. You can do this kind of watching whether you're driving or riding.

Assume you're invisible on the bike. How do you find the gaps in traffic, so you have a place to go where you're away from the spaces where cars can hurt you. I've become much more aware of when cars can't see me than I had been before. Blind spots, trees blocking their view, being hidden behind other vehicles, that kind of thing. If you can't see their eyes, you *know* they don't see you.

And yes, use the back roads. More fun, less traffic.

Some of this is just getting used to being on the bike in traffic. My first few times out on the big roads? Nerve-wracking. Now? Not so bad. Well, other than that highways aren't all that much fun. Straight and boring. But I don't mind dealing with traffic so much.

Maybe you can meet up with one or two other riders and go out on a fun road. It sometimes helps your visibility to have company. Plus it's more fun to ride with friends!
Great advice. I'm definately learning now how to better predict the actions of drivers around me. I think that will be the most important thing in avoiding getting hurt. Which even as much as some riders seem to love dangerous situations, I don't think anyone wants to get hurt doing this and then be messed up for life, I hope not anyway. I find riding is making me a much more attentive driver as well, I watch out for other people and exactly what they are doing/might do more now. Still sketchy out here with these people though. I don't long to feel what a 4000lb town car feels like hitting me at 50mph, lol.

Old February 8th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Rather than trying to predict the behavior of other drivers, I recommend deciding what the worst thing they could do is, and then assume they will do that.

Old February 9th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Winder
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah, I usually do assume the worst. That's kinda part of my problem as far as having fun out there amongst drivers. I just can't stop thinking about how so many people around me could easily and accidentally kill or seriously injure me right now. I kinda wish I could turn the voice of reason off sometimes as it interferes with fun, but I know that's what I got to keep me alive out there. Still have never went down on my own though.

Old February 9th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #15
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
That's an all day everyday problem... Every person you see, and everyone that sees you can potentially kill you (or worse) no motorcycles needed

Old February 9th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #16
Winder
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
That's an all day everyday problem... Every person you see, and everyone that sees you can potentially kill you (or worse) no motorcycles needed
Idk, most people are pretty sheepish outside of their vehicles, lol.

Old February 9th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Don't try to suppress the voice of reason. As you gain experience, the fear part will subside as you start to have confidence that you are able to stay in control and handle problems that come along.

Old February 9th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #18
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old February 9th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #19
CaliGrrl

You start to get used to predicting and anticipating what those other drivers will do and the fear part starts to stay a bit calmer. Changes to attentiveness.

Expecting the dumbest thing another driver could do and looking how to avoid them, yeah, that's good advice.

Old February 9th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #20
Winder
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Don't try to suppress the voice of reason. As you gain experience, the fear part will subside as you start to have confidence that you are able to stay in control and handle problems that come along.
I think your right there for sure Jim. I really need to start riding everyday again to gain more experience. I've been driving long enough that I feel confident that I can handle whatever comes along, and as such it doesn't ever stress me out. I need to find that same confidence about riding, amongst drivers mainly. I'm fine when it's just me, the bike, and the road.

Old February 12th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #21
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #22
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Welcome! Riding in heavy traffic areas, like where I live around Charlotte, takes a certain attitude and skill set to survive. You have to be extremely skilled and confident in your riding ability with the bike, as well as riding with at least a little bit of aggression, to survive the experience unscathed. Many people here get mad about lane filtering motorcycles as well, which can add a whole other level of danger to your ride. There have been people hit at speed, ran over, and even shot before out of road rage. Realize that some people are just idiots, and Exercise patience, don't flip someone off or shout obscenities at them just because they accidentally came into your lane, or pulled out in front of you. Sometimes people just don't see you, and it's not anything personal. I can't stand all the videos of douchebag riders on YouTube who go around trolling anyone in traffic over the slightest indiscretion around them. It makes me not wanna even be associated with riding, that so many riders are complete douchebags... I don't wanna be viewed that way myself..Anyways, Stay safe out there, and off the 6 o'clock news.