ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

Name: Elias

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

K&N air filter to stock air box

Hey there.

Thinking abut getting the kn filter for my 2008 FI ninja (not pod). however I was wondering, if I need to do something else with the bike, when im pluggin the filter into the airbox? or is it just that simple?

i got a full racing Yoshimura carbon exhaust system on.

oh and is pod filter worth it? trying to find information about it, I can't really see if i should mod it that much/if it is worth the trouble..
Graugaard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm so envious of people who have oxygen sensors. not having to deal with jetting. the point of EFI is that it monitors the amount of oxygen coming in and modifies how much fuel it sprays based on a map through the RPM range, so there shouldn't be anything you need to do. the pod filters are nice if you dont frequently get poured on with rain. they make tools you can use to change the fuel mapping to get even more power out of it and do fancy things like change your redline rpm

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

well the pod is cheaper than the drop in one and i do think there's is a advantage ayyy POWER!!! no no i guess more air in more power out

Old December 4th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i'm so envious of people who have oxygen sensors. not having to deal with jetting. the point of EFI is that it monitors the amount of oxygen coming in and modifies how much fuel it sprays based on a map through the RPM range, so there shouldn't be anything you need to do. the pod filters are nice if you dont frequently get poured on with rain. they make tools you can use to change the fuel mapping to get even more power out of it and do fancy things like change your redline rpm
Are those bikes closed loop? I'd always thought they were standard open-loop EFI, meaning that the does NOT change the fuel ratios to adjust for stuff like that, and that changes have to be done with something like a power commander.

Old December 4th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

thx guys,
Denmark is the shittiest rain country ever, belive me, and that motorcycle is my only transport, so i gotta travel in rain sometime (but will maintenance the bike after these trips).

A little off topic i know but why did kawa go from FI to Carb?

Old December 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you want to go to pod filters, remember that you lose a lot of low end grunt when you take out the airbox. I think you're going to need a PowerCommander to change the A/F mix. I havent read anywhere about the FI 250's changing that automatically; plus if they were open loop EFI, DynoJet wouldn't even bother with making a PC for the 250R, since it wouldn't be necessary
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
If you want to go to pod filters, remember that you lose a lot of low end grunt when you take out the airbox.
He specifically said he's not going to use pods or remove the airbox.

Quote:
I think you're going to need a PowerCommander to change the A/F mix. I havent read anywhere about the FI 250's changing that automatically; plus if they were open loop EFI, DynoJet wouldn't even bother with making a PC for the 250R, since it wouldn't be necessary
I think you mean closed loop.
Closed loop means o2 sensor feedback -->EFI module --> o2 sensor-->EFI
Open loop means one way (no feedback), so you can stick a Power Commander on the open "end".

Old December 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I think you mean closed loop.
yes sir that's correct. my bad i get so distracted sometimes and forget to proofread. the OP did inquire about info on the pods to see if they're worth it. saying that the filter wasn't a pod filter just was to communicate that it was a drop-in K&N filter, not to say that he completely ruled out the pods.

Graugaard, kawasaki went to carbs for the USA because it's cheaper and they wanted to keep the price down since people just see it as a wimpy beginners bike

Old December 4th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
yes sir that's correct. my bad i get so distracted sometimes and forget to proofread. the OP did inquire about info on the pods to see if they're worth it. saying that the filter wasn't a pod filter just was to communicate that it was a drop-in K&N filter, not to say that he completely ruled out the pods.
Oh...I totally missed that.
I love Pod filters because they make it 10 times easier to remove/clean/work on the carbs...oh, wait.....

Quote:
Graugaard, kawasaki went to carbs for the USA because it's cheaper and they wanted to keep the price down since people just see it as a wimpy beginners bike
Europe has stricter emissions control, which is the main reason (some would say ONLY reason) for EFI.

Old December 4th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

I just installed one of these filters on my bike. I have a 2009 EFI with a Mivv GP slip-on, which I have been using for a half year now without doing anything with the A/F ratio. It was running abit lean, but nothing that desperately needed to get changed. After I also installed the K&N filter though, it definitely needed a remap. So I don't know how much difference it actually makes, will be exciting to see after the remap. But the quality of the filter itself seems WAY better than the stock one, and the fact that it will last the bike's lifetime makes it worth it anyway imo.

Now my bike is in winter storage at the dealership, and they would take care of the 6.000km service, remap, change to iridium plugs, and new coolant. I'd rather have the race mechanic at the dealership do his magic with the original ECU at the cost of some work hours, than getting the expensive PowerCommander. Can't wait to pick the bike up after the winter
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

wait cn you use powercommander III for a ninja 250 EFI?

Old December 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #12
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graugaard View Post
wait cn you use powercommander III for a ninja 250 EFI?
There is the PCIII: http://www.power-commander-shop.com/...070_236-411-00

And there is the PCV: http://www.power-commander-shop.com/....070_17-001-01

However, the PCV is(from another site):
More compact, can take alot more input from the bike, greater range of adjustment, and can be expanded with the AutoTune kit.

Of those two, I would definitely go with the PCV, it's not that much more expensive. I know Guinss on this forum has it. Here's his post about it: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49516
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Quote:

oh and is pod filter worth it? trying to find information about it, I can't really see if i should mod it that much/if it is worth the trouble..
A pod filter with that exhaust will let the bike scream at higher rpms, you'll notice a huge difference on the highway. Low end will suffer a little bit but nothing outrageous. Beware though you may need larger injectors, I'm not sure on that because I have carbs but it's something you should look into.
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:16 PM   #14
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Name: Roman

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r (2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
well the pod is cheaper than the drop in one and i do think there's is a advantage ayyy POWER!!! no no i guess more air in more power out
What's pod?
hackeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
this.

the point of a pod filter is to remove the air box, attach this bad boy (and a breather for your crankcase) and then rejet. the effect is more air flow, which gives you a more responsive bike all through the rpm range, and a power band that is more oriented around the top end, as well as more max hp.

plus high flowing intakes sound nasty

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:43 AM   #16
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
this.
the point of a pod filter is to remove the air box, attach this bad boy (and a breather for your crankcase) and then rejet. the effect is more air flow, which gives you a more responsive bike all through the rpm range, and a power band that is more oriented around the top end, as well as more max hp.

FI bikes can't remove the airbox due to having an Inlet Air Temperature Sensor on the box, not unless the sensor, the air switching valve or pod can somehow be modded to work. Because the pods have almost no air volume and pressure differences I'm skeptical it would work.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:52 AM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Really?? buzzkill.

Can't they just drill a hole in the rubber part of the R-0990 and seal the temp probe in? That's what greg737 did in his custom FI system.

What exactly is the air switching valve?

Why does it need to know the pressure of the air? Wouldn't the temp of the incoming air and the data from the exhaust probe be sufficient for computing how much fuel was needed?

Good thing I have carbs, because I know nothing about the FI system on these bikes

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM   #18
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Really?? buzzkill.

Can't they just drill a hole in the rubber part of the R-0990 and seal the temp probe in? That's what greg737 did in his custom FI system.

What exactly is the air switching valve?

Why does it need to know the pressure of the air? Wouldn't the temp of the incoming air and the data from the exhaust probe be sufficient for computing how much fuel was needed?

Good thing I have carbs, because I know nothing about the FI system on these bikes
I image a custom system you could do what you want. I saw greg737's system and it is a work of art, yet it is not a Kawi system. He has total autonomy on his system.

The air switching valve is the same as the kleen air system on the carb bike, except it is monitored. The pressure (vacuum) is to operate the air switching valve.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:50 AM   #19
JulioXa
ninjette.org member

Name: Julio

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki 250R 2009

Is it okay for Carbs?

Quote:
this.

Hi Guys,

Can i get a POD K&N Filter for my '09 250r Ninja with dual carburators without any issue like the ones with FI system? I rarely drive on rain.. Tks!!

Juliox
JulioXa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@JulioXa Yes it works well with the carbs as long as you re-jet. It flows a lot more air

Check this thread out

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:37 AM   #21
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post
A pod filter with that exhaust will let the bike scream at higher rpms, you'll notice a huge difference on the highway. Low end will suffer a little bit but nothing outrageous. Beware though you may need larger injectors, I'm not sure on that because I have carbs but it's something you should look into.
If anything, the stock Kawi injectors are too large. One of the EFI threads has a good discussion about this.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM   #22
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
this.

I installed one of these when I put on the EFI kit. You shouldn't have to worry too much about rain as they are covered in oil (that's what makes it red) which should adequately repel the water. It is significantly louder than the stock airbox.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #23
JulioXa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
@JulioXa Yes it works well with the carbs as long as you re-jet. It flows a lot more air

Check this thread out
Hi!!

Im kind of new, and my native language is spanish. Can you please explain me whta do you mean with re-jet? Regards.

Julioxa

Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:16 AM   #24
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulioXa View Post
Hi!!

Im kind of new, and my native language is spanish. Can you please explain me whta do you mean with re-jet? Regards.

Julioxa
Re-jet medios para cambiar el tamaño de los principales gasolina agujero en el carburador.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:25 PM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Thanks Blue. I don't speak a word of spanish

Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #26
JulioXa
ninjette.org member

Thanks

Quote:
Thanks Blue. I don't speak a word of spanish
Thanks guys!! I think I get it now. I believe these are the little like needles inside the carbs that should have bigger holes on them.

Julioxa

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #27
raybolic
ninjette.org member

Name: Rei

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250R

Quote:
Hey there.

Thinking abut getting the kn filter for my 2008 FI ninja (not pod). however I was wondering, if I need to do something else with the bike, when im pluggin the filter into the airbox? or is it just that simple?

So did you end up getting a Power Commander? I'm going to be in your situation.. full yoshi / k&n air filters.. not sure if I'm going to be too lean.
raybolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #28
austinm911
ninjette.org member

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I got my bike rejetted some months ago, how would getting an air pod be? Or would I have to rejet once again?
The fuel screw was set at 3.5% CO on gas analyzer. The needle is in groove 3 and the stock main jet is used.
austinm911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes you'll have to re-jet if you go to pods

Old July 28th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #30
wch5274
ninjette.org member

Name: amir

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Hey there.

Hi Graugaard.. hope u still around with the same bike...

need to ask, mine EFI version too and have a thought to get full system.. some bikers in my country just p&p the full system without using PC (power comander).. im not sure its good for the bike but i guess the bike will not properly tune..
Did you get PC inside your bike?
May i know your top speed (gps reading) after change to full system?
wch5274 is offline   Reply With Quote