ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 20th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #41
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #42
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
This also works in daily life. The best move is to STFU, twist the throttle, make yourself scarce and just leave them be. Have a good laugh later.
Yep. Pretty much.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2017, 07:19 AM   #43
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Since you are in Canada and riding season is over, spend some money on books. First recommendation is Total Control.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2017, 08:51 AM   #44
RcTechnologies
ninjette.org member

Name: Russ

Motorcycle(s): '12 EX250JC

JacRyann and ninjabraap have by far the most valuable input here.

From my experience, the bike in stock form was able to outperform both my physical and mental capabilities for over a year. This means the bike was able to maneuver faster than my body was capable of steering, with my arms, and mind.

It wasn't until I intentionally sought out the limits of the bike (by the laws of physics) knowingly and willfully crashing it in a closed course, that I realized what the 250R can do. Most specifically, u-turns >30mph, and almost nose bleed handling on extremely tight mountain roads. At the end of the day, the only question to answer is "Am I willing to risk death attempting to find the limit of this machine?"

Do note this is while in "stock form". The pics are in my photo albums and can be viewed by all ninjette.org members.

I hope to save your life OP with this sentence : Take the "journey" slowly and savor every day of it.

Finally, to exemplifly the mentality of upgrades, I will tell you the first upgrade I purchased was a 150 width rear tire. The concept was to eliminate the fear of rolling off the edge of the tire, as the 250R cannot mechanically/physically ride on the absolute edge of a 150 tire (youre on the fairings by then). Then it was rearsets to teach myself to lean that bike no matter what (to steer out of danger). You upgrade to teach yourself. Up to 90mph the bike WILL do more than you can tell it to. And at that speed, mistakes are...unforgiving

Live to ride again another day
RcTechnologies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #45
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Yep. Pretty much.
If i mess up on the road and get honked at, it helps me to be more aware for the rest of the drive/ride. I do the same so they'll pay more attention. Generally cursing is done within my car or helmet and rarely does the window need to be rolled down or helmet shield raised while I slowly roll up on the side of them for more personal advices on what they should do with themsevles..

After dealing with terrible customer services at cell phone providers here for years, I've discovered therapeutic use of yelling and cursing..

sorry for the late replies! didn't get notifications for these for some reason
jp8484 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #46
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Since you are in Canada and riding season is over, spend some money on books. First recommendation is Total Control.
will look into that! thanks!

Old November 25th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #47
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
The best upgrade I did to my Ninja 250R was putting a set of Diablo Rosso II tyres on it. The bike felt stuck to the road after doing that. Those particular tyres don't seem to last too long though.

I'm actually using Michelin Pilot Street Radial tyres now. These last much longer than the Diablo's, but they don't feel as sticky/grippy. They're definitely more confidence inspiring than the stock tyres though.

Oh! Another thing I did which made a noticeable difference was upgrading to All Balls tapered roller steering bearings for the headset. Someone on this forum is in love with them and when I eventually needed my bearings replaced I could hear this guy in my head. I caved in and gave them a try. The steering did feel much better after doing so.

If I had to choose between fancy tyres and the bearings I'd definitely choose the fancy tyres.

If you're new to riding, make sure you get full protective gear before improving your bike. ATGATT and all that.

Old November 26th, 2017, 03:46 AM   #48
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
if ya wanna get froggy with exhaust and save some cash. check out the el cheapo exhaust threads.

Old December 1st, 2017, 05:37 PM   #49
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
The best upgrade I did to my Ninja 250R was putting a set of Diablo Rosso II tyres on it. The bike felt stuck to the road after doing that. Those particular tyres don't seem to last too long though.

I'm actually using Michelin Pilot Street Radial tyres now. These last much longer than the Diablo's, but they don't feel as sticky/grippy. They're definitely more confidence inspiring than the stock tyres though.

Oh! Another thing I did which made a noticeable difference was upgrading to All Balls tapered roller steering bearings for the headset. Someone on this forum is in love with them and when I eventually needed my bearings replaced I could hear this guy in my head. I caved in and gave them a try. The steering did feel much better after doing so.

If I had to choose between fancy tyres and the bearings I'd definitely choose the fancy tyres.

If you're new to riding, make sure you get full protective gear before improving your bike. ATGATT and all that.
Planning on getting Power RS next season. Currently have stock shinko on front and pilot street radial on the rear (changed by the previous owner). Local shop recommended Power RS and I think it's cheaper than the Pirelli.
Will keep the bearings in mind. I checked the website and cost isn't too much.. might as well get em changed I guess.

THanks!

Old December 1st, 2017, 05:38 PM   #50
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
if ya wanna get froggy with exhaust and save some cash. check out the el cheapo exhaust threads.
they are tempting but don't want to bother with rejetting right now.. also stock isn't so loud.. which I like. Less police trouble.. ha

Old December 1st, 2017, 07:11 PM   #51
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp8484 View Post
Planning on getting Power RS next season. Currently have stock shinko on front and pilot street radial on the rear (changed by the previous owner). Local shop recommended Power RS and I think it's cheaper than the Pirelli.
Will keep the bearings in mind. I checked the website and cost isn't too much.. might as well get em changed I guess.

THanks!
stock IRC i think.. haven't checked in awhile. Under the bike cover for the winter.

Old December 1st, 2017, 09:28 PM   #52
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Hey guys
I just bought my first bike this year (2010 Ninja 250) and new to riding as well.. Rode almost everyday until I had to put it away for the winter.

As a noob who is probably too excited about motorcycle in general (small dream of mine for long time so happy to see it materialize finally)
I been reading alot in different forums and watching too much youtube.. I don't want all that infos to fill my head with too much ideas. (Ex. being able to pass bigger bikes in corners one day.. haha)

I'm planning on doing small upgrades but wanted some opinions/suggestions from you guys.

Upgrade I will be installing: steel-braided front brake line (Galfer), R6 throttle tube mod

Already installed: EBC HH Sintered brakes, K&N Air Filter

Thinking about installing: Racetech front suspension springs and oil upgrade, tires (Michellin RS or something.. currently running on stock front and hockey puck for the rear), some sprocket tooth number changes in the future

I would like to make the bike to be more responsive and stable/fast around the corner. No tracking with this bike but mainly used as a fun toy / commuter. Not interested in exhaust or jetting.. unless adjusting current setting.. Hoping to turn it into a fun cornering machine that can double up as fun grocery run machine.

I'd appreciate any advice on the set up from you guys who have done it or have knowledge on the matter.. especially concerning the suspension set up. If changing out the springs and oil is good enough or should I be looking into GSX swap... if there's merit in going one route over another.. etc..
Get on this website's mailing list "motosport.com". Last spring they had a sale I took advantage of. Bought one Galfer braided steel line and got the second for free. It's basically a 1/2 half off sale. They may be doing it again. Moto Sport is basically a dirt bike retailer but I have purchased a few thing from them I couldn't get elsewhere.

Bill

Old December 6th, 2017, 12:48 AM   #53
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Get on this website's mailing list "motosport.com". Last spring they had a sale I took advantage of. Bought one Galfer braided steel line and got the second for free. It's basically a 1/2 half off sale. They may be doing it again. Moto Sport is basically a dirt bike retailer but I have purchased a few thing from them I couldn't get elsewhere.

Bill
y'all need to stop telling me stuffs to buy.. I'm not made of money man.. haha ugh.. bookmarked.

Old December 6th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #54
Ram Jet

Quote:
y'all need to stop telling me stuffs to buy.. I'm not made of money man.. haha ugh.. bookmarked.
Come on. You can afford a bottle of PJ1 15wt fork oil.

Bill

Old December 6th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #55
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
This is when I'm glad I'm old and more or less past that. Now the worst I do to the stupid people on the road is curse at them. I may wish some gridlock to head their way.... but I have learned how to let the stupid roll off my back. It's not worth raising my blood pressure.

Even in moderate traffic, I can still give myself some driving room (most of the time) and I work to stay out of the way of the stoopid on the roads. They're still idiots, don't get me wrong, but they won't be allowed to hurt me.
Restrain the middle finger in the L.A. area. They just shoot you in response.

Bill

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:42 PM   #56
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Restrain the middle finger in the L.A. area. They just shoot you in response.

Bill
I know, right?

Don't worry, they never know I'm cursing at them.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2018, 07:30 PM   #57
jp8484
ninjette.org member

been awhile since I posted anything...
anyone else buy mods to work on over the winter and just let it sit?
it's tooooo cold to be doing anything up in Canada.
R6 throttle tube has arrived so I been thinking about doing some work but
I only got to unwrapping the bike cover and drooled a bit before heading back inside home.

Old February 1st, 2018, 08:00 PM   #58
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
No heated garage or barn?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM   #59
Ram Jet

Quote:
been awhile since I posted anything...
anyone else buy mods to work on over the winter and just let it sit?
it's tooooo cold to be doing anything up in Canada.
R6 throttle tube has arrived so I been thinking about doing some work but
I only got to unwrapping the bike cover and drooled a bit before heading back inside home.
Unless you can work in a heated area you have every right to hold off. I've got a upper fairing that's pretty torn-up that I got for a song. It's split in two at the headlight plus some other stuff. I have a good start on it but I just finished repairing another upper fairing. These are just spares. The one on my Ninja is just fine. I hate doing body work because I'm too impatient. Instead I'm restoring a 1960 Johnson 3 H.P. outboard motor. I need a break from motorcycle stuff. Kick back, open a couple of brewskis and put on some tunes. It'll be warm again soon.

Bill

Old February 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM   #60
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
No heated garage or barn?
unfortunately not.. it's small enough that I could probably bring portable heater but I might just get it all done in the spring.. steel braided front brake line.. new tires and throttle tube.

Old February 1st, 2018, 08:05 PM   #61
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Unless you can work in a heated area you have every right to hold off. I've got a upper fairing that's pretty torn-up that I got for a song. It's split in two at the headlight plus some other stuff. I have a good start on it but I just finished repairing another upper fairing. These are just spares. The one on my Ninja is just fine. I hate doing body work because I'm too impatient. Instead I'm restoring a 1960 Johnson 3 H.P. outboard motor. I need a break from motorcycle stuff. Kick back, open a couple of brewskis and put on some tunes. It'll be warm again soon.

Bill
soo cold.. and this winter has been sorta weird too. had couple of weekends where it was warm enough to go for a ride and some people in my city actually did.. haha
I got stuck doing family duty..

Old February 1st, 2018, 08:21 PM   #62
Ram Jet

Quote:
soo cold.. and this winter has been sorta weird too. had couple of weekends where it was warm enough to go for a ride and some people in my city actually did.. haha
I got stuck doing family duty..
Yeah, it got to a balmy 42 degrees F here on 01/20 and I took a 30 mile ride. It was cold but fun. 46 days until the first day of spring! Dang!

Bill

Old February 1st, 2018, 10:33 PM   #63
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
another easy mod, stick coils.

Old February 13th, 2018, 08:55 PM   #64
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Vinyl wrapped the free rear seat cowl I got from a friend.. but wrong colour (blue).
finally got around to wrapping it and I never want to do this again..

it's a mess but it will do for now I guess

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 14th, 2018, 12:04 PM   #65
jp8484
ninjette.org member

update

weather isn't great but finally warm enough to get some work done on the bike.

Thought I'd start with the easiest and possibly the most anticipated upgrade (for me anyway)

R6 throttle tube upgrade! tube is not from Yamaha but Motion Pro brand.. bought for 12 bucks at local shop. Only mod needed was to cut the end cap off. Helps to have motorcycle DIY shop near my place.

Cables remounted and forgot about the hole on the bar.. but remembered after trying to fit the case back on and wondering why it's not closing/fitting properly..

How it looked last night. Had to ride to local motorcycle shop to buy a new grip like this in rain.. haha. Couldn't get the stock grip off the old tube.. figured I might as well get something new.

Most difficult part of the whole upgrade was getting the bar ends off. Thanks Red locktite.. good thing the shop had a heat gun.

Also for anyone else thinking about doing this upgrade, I'd say it's totally worth it. Not having to break my wrist trying to open up throttle is great.
I got a new grip on now but forgot to take pix.. I'll include later with more updates.

** local shop told me to use hair spray to get the new grip on the tube.. it may sound silly but that did the trick.. easy slip on with bit of force

Old June 17th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #66
jp8484
ninjette.org member

El cheapo installed

Upgrade process has been slow but it's happening!

stock can about to be ripped out of the bike

As some members have mentioned in other el cheapo exhaust posts.. there is bit of gap in between and this lady who is restoring her sick 70s Ducati helped me with the installation (she pretty much installed herself for me.. ha). Using cut beer can as a shim

We ended up cutting a bigger piece of beer can so it extends beyond the tip of the pipe

fitment check with the spring. Those springs were PITA to install

worked out alrite

skipped out on 'Akropovic' sticker...

There is bit of leakage between the exhaust and the metal thing it comes with but nothing leaking at the part where we beer can shimmed. No biggie I guess.. if it gets worse, I'll just get it welded or something.

Sounds much better and kept the noise baffle thing in there. Next up is rejetting with dyno stage 2 kit and 40 pilot jets.

Old June 17th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #67
jp8484
ninjette.org member

forgot to mention..

may require heat shield installation soon..

Old June 17th, 2018, 06:59 PM   #68
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Looks good. That's a use for a beer can I haven't seen

Old June 17th, 2018, 09:48 PM   #69
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Looks good. That's a use for a beer can I haven't seen
haha thanks! we had hard time deciding which beer can would look better

Old June 17th, 2018, 09:55 PM   #70
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
haha thanks! we had hard time deciding which beer can would look better
It's hard to go wrong with a yellow belly all sofisticated an such

Old June 17th, 2018, 10:33 PM   #71
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
most excellent

Old July 12th, 2018, 02:10 PM   #72
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
If you're a bigger rider, upgraded front springs may help a lot. This thread has a chart for quick reference of what spring rate you should be looking for with various weights. Based on RaceTech's calculators, the front springs are only good for <100lb, while the rear is optimal for ~210lb. If one end is good for your weight, the other end probably isn't.

The EX500 has even softer fork springs, but I consider them the single best mod (out of $2000+ that I've spent) I've done on the bike. If they're too soft, they won't be able to absorb bumps well, and they'll be squishy when you're pushing it hard. Getting springs of the right rate will make it perform better and be more comfortable at the same time.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2018, 02:29 PM   #73
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
exploited ninja just upgraded to race techs

here ya go. set for 200 lb. ebay way easier on purchase/shipping
i used 20 weight fork oil

stock on left

Old July 13th, 2018, 10:07 AM   #74
jp8484
ninjette.org member

guys.. I appreciate the infos on front shocks/springs.. and I do have them on my list of to-do for the bike but I've reached the max budget for this year for bike mods and gears. (Bought some more riding gears for safety)

Married with a child that needs to be in daycare in Ontario, Canada is hard on my wallet. Around 1300 per month for daycare... and we just voted for a guy who ran on bringing back 1dollar beer as his political campaign over the other party that offered free daycare.

Also, recommended that I do both front and rear to match the stiffness?

on the bright side.. my goal for the second year of riding is to drag knee.. and I've recently touched knee on the ground but also touched the peg feeler.. gotta work on body positioning I guess..
Hopefully I'll have some bike mods to update with you guys over the weekend! dynojet stage 2 kit has been sitting on my shelf for too long.

Old July 13th, 2018, 10:41 AM   #75
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
check out my el cheapo threads if your on a budget. good luck and looking forward to your mods

Old July 13th, 2018, 12:42 PM   #76
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

The rear suspension on new-gen is much improved over last generation due to some changes:

1. shock with stiffer spring and damping along with preload-adjustment

2. revised leverage-ratios with knuckle!!! This alone probably accounts for 80% of improvements. New knuckle moves shock more for same amount of wheel-travel. This increases leverage shock has on swingarm and same shock would have stronger "push" on swingarm.

When I upgraded my pre-gen to new-gen rear-suspension with entire swingarm assembly, for giggles, I re-installed original pre-gen shock. Wow, it actually worked better!!! So rear-end on new-gen bikes don't need as much upgrading as fork.

For fork-springs, other brands like Progressive or Bitubo can be had for less on eBay. No-cost option is to cut off 4" of spring and replace with PVC spacer. Back in '80s, when aftermarket products wasn't as abundant, this was pretty standard procedure.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 13th, 2018 at 09:00 PM.

Old July 13th, 2018, 08:07 PM   #77
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
check out my el cheapo threads if your on a budget. good luck and looking forward to your mods
thanks man! and will do

Old July 13th, 2018, 08:09 PM   #78
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
The rear suspension on new-gen is much improved over last generation due to some changes:

1. shock with stiffer spring and damping along with preload-adjustment

2. revised leverage-ratios with knuckle!!! This alone probably accounts for 80% of improvements. New knuckle moves shock more for same amount of wheel-travel. This increases leverage shock has on swingarm and same shock would have stronger "push" on swingarm.

When I upgraded my pre-gen to new-gen rear-suspension with entire swingarm assembly, for giggles, I re-installed original pre-gen shock. Wow, it actually worked better!!! So rear-end on new-gen bikes don't need as much upgrading as shock.

For fork-springs, other brands like Progressive or Bitubo can be had for less on eBay. No-cost option is to cut off 4" of spring and replace with PVC spacer. Back in '80s, when aftermarket products wasn't as abundant, this was pretty standard procedure.
Does the PVC mod actually help? without changing the stock spring.. wouldn't it be just as squishy as before? I've heard of this before but wasn't too sure if it actually worked

Old July 13th, 2018, 09:02 PM   #79
DannoXYZ

Yes, it does work because spring-stiffness is based upon number of coils. The more coils you have, the softer the spring (because each coil defects same amount given any load).. By removing some coils, you stiffen the spring. Usually removing 100mm is good amount on these bikes. Then adjust pre-load by using 105mm or 110mm PVC spacer.

Old July 14th, 2018, 07:31 AM   #80
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
You can actually calculate how much to cut off the spring to give a desired rate.

new spring length * new spring rate = original spring length * original spring rate

If the stock spring is 450mm long (that's just an example - don't actually use that number) and 0.65kg/mm, that gives you a total value of 292.5 for the stock spring. If you want it to be 0.75kg/mm, you just divide by that and get a new length of 390mm. For 0.85kg/mm, you'd end up with 344.1mm. If you want to get really precise and go for 0.7945kg/mm, cut it down to 368.16mm.

The only downsides to cutting springs are that it's a permanent mod, and if you're really heavy, you may not be able to shorten it enough without interfering with operation of the spring (obviously you can only cut off so much length before it doesn't work in the fork).

You'll need spacers to make up for the removed length of spring. The "extra" length of spacer in the fork tube (in either stock or modified form) is what creates preload. That's probably not the correct setting from the factory, and it will necessarily change when you change the spring rate. You'll probably have to tweak the length of your spacer to get the correct preload/sag setting. ProTip: It's easier to trim off a little than it is to add a little back - start longer and shorten it.

If you have the preload properly set on the stock spring, you can compare the total length of the spring & spacer to the total length of the fork's spring chamber to figure out how much force it's applying on the spring. You can then use that to adjust your spacer length to give the same force on the new spring's rate.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote