ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1
kkim

Jetting Database

EDIT: This thread is for jetting specs only; jetting discussion can continue in this discussion thread.

The purpose of this thread is to consolidate the information from people who have done any type of work to their carburetor jetting to improve the stock bike's rideability. Your contributions are what will make this a valuable tool for anyone looking to rejet their bike in the future.

Are you nuts!!??? Why would anyone want to even consider rejetting their perfectly good, brand new bike?

The stock 250R is marketed as a high mileage, economy bike and as such, the factory has seen to jet the bike as lean as possible to eek out the very best MPG numbers and to also adhere to emissions laws in the US. Kawasaki has done a very good job in selecting the best combination of jetting components to make the 250R a very miserly, gas sipping vehicle. It is ironic, however, that the very jetting which makes the bike a gas sipper, makes it a very unfriendly beginner bike as far as throttle control and rideability. Add to that, poor quality control at setting the mixture screws properly from the factory and you end up with a bike that is difficult to start, takes a long time to warm up and even when warm is difficult to get moving from a stop without revving it to about 4-5k just to get moving smoothly. Add to that the sometimes unexpected hiccup when the bike is just starting to get moving and you end up with a lot of dropped bikes from beginners. Instead of being rider friendly, it makes riding the bike lot more difficult than it needs to be. Rejetting your bike will address this low speed glitch. If you would like more info on jetting, this is a very good primer… http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...uretor_jetting

Any other benefits?

Glad you asked!! With rejetting, it is possible to extract more power out of the little 250 motor. The factory tuned it for mileage… you can tinker with the jetting to extract more power, though be advised gas mileage will be affected. What I like is that rejetting increases the amount of power available in the lower rpms ranges and in doing so makes the bike much easier to ride and much more rider friendly… two things that greatly benefit someone new to riding a motorcycle.

So, on to the purpose of this thread... In brief, please cut and paste the following as I have in post #2 and help start building a database in the 250R forum. As much as possible, please stay on topic (yeah, right!!) so the information will be easily accessible by those searching for jetting help in the future. You are more than welcome to come back and post new jetting specs in the future in another post if you should redo your jetting. Please comment on any improvements rejetting did for you if you do repost.

As a baseline, these are the stock 2008 jetting specs-

From the service manual-

Make, Type- Keihin, CVK30

Main Jet- #98

Optional mains- #92,95,100,102

Main Air Jet- #100

Jet Needle- left-N9VU right-N9VW

Needle Jet- #6

Pilot Jet- #38

Pilot Air Jet- #100

Starter Jet- #48

Pilot Screws (turns out)- left- (2 1/2) right- (1 3/4)

Throttle Valve- 11degrees 00seconds

Idle Speed- 1300 +/- 50 rpm

Carb Sync Vacuum- less than 2.7 kPa (2 cmHg) difference between two carburetors.

Service Fuel Level- 0.5 +/-1mm (0.02 +/-0.04 in.) above the mating surface of the carburetor float bowl.

Float Height- 17 +/-2mm (0.67 +/-0.08 in.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some main jet conversions between manufactures-

Width------Keihin # -- DynoJet # --- Mikuni #
0.0350---- 92.5--------- 92----------- 86.3
0.0360---- 95----------- 94----------- 88.1
0.0370---- 97.5--------- 96----------- 90.0
0.0380---- 100---------- 98----------- 91.9
0.0390---- 102.5------- 100---------- 93.8
0.0400---- 105--------- 102---------- 95.6
0.0410---- 107.5------- 104---------- 97.5
0.0420---- 110--------- 106---------- 99.4
0.0430---- 112.5------- 108--------- 101.3
0.0440---- 115--------- 110--------- 103.1
0.0450---- 117.5------- 112--------- 105.0
0.0460---- 120--------- 114--------- 106.9
0.0470---- 122.5------- 116--------- 108.8
0.0480---- 125--------- 118--------- 110.6
0.0490---- 127.5------- 120--------- 112.5
0.0500---- 130--------- 122--------- 114.4

Mahalo to all that contribute.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAR:

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS:

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS:

JET KIT OR STOCK?

BRAND OF JET KIT?

MAIN JET:

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION:

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS:

ELEVATION:

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP:

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM   #2
kkim

YEAR: 2008

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: snorkel removed

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P quiet core full exhaust system

JET KIT OR STOCK? stock

BRAND OF JET KIT? n/a

MAIN JET: 98 Keihin (stock)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Stock needles with 3 washers under each needle

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: stock

ELEVATION: sea level to 3800 ft.

MISCELLANESOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: With the 3 washers under each needle, the bike seems like it might be a bit rich in the midrange. I have also plugged the Kleen air system to eliminate popping/backfiring I was getting at small throttle opening during deceleration. Carburators have been synced which has helped to smooth out the idling and intial takeoff.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
kkim

redid jetting...

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: air box removed. K&N R-0990 Filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS:Area P Quiet core full system, Kleen air system removed

JET KIT OR STOCK? Jet Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? Factory Pro

MAIN JET: 112

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2-3/4 turns out from bottom, initially

switched from configuration in post #2 to a no air box and a single K&N filter (K&N P/N R-0990) plus the installation of a factory Pro jetting kit.

Initial settings of 112 mains, clip in the 3rd position, and mixture settings of 2 3/4 turns out from bottom revealed a bike that pulls harder than my previous setup and carburetes a bit cleaner throughout the entire rev range. Not mind blowing, warp drive, eye blurring acceleration, but definitely more power than the stock air box and washers under stock needles setup. It's getting closer to where I want to be.

I do feel the mains might be a bit rich and the mids might need a bit of tweaking. Carbs were resynced, but it was not that different from when I set it when doing the washers under the needles.

I've played with the mixture screws from my initial 2 3/4 due to the low end feeling boggy. I richened it out to 3 turns out and it did seem to improve a slight hesitation a had when I would blip the throttle after the bike was fully warmed up. Bike ran well at sea level, but a bit lethargic on the bottom end.

Readjusted the mixture using the "screw in the mixture screw until the idle drops, then back it off until the idle returned to normal" method. With that method, I found the bike had a slight surge while cruising in 5th or 6th with the throttle barely cracked, which said to me the idle circuit was a bit lean.

I last backed the mixture screw out 1/4 of a turn from my last setting and the bike seems perfect as far as the idle circuit is concerned. Warm up is quick at both sea level and 3800 ft and the bike does not surge at low throttle cruising settings. At this time, I have no idea where the mixture screws are set, only that the bike pulls nicely at lower rpms and runs cleanly without any bogging or surging. I will report back when I have the chance to pull the carbs at a future date. All I know for now is that it runs good when the mixture screws are set up in this manner.

What did I gain from going to my new configuration? More top end power, smoother power delivery throughout the entire powerband and cleaner carburetion when twisting the throttle at any throttle setting position.

What did I lose? I feel the midrange power "hump" from removing the air box is gone, so the bike does not "feel" as responsive in the 5-8k range. This is not to be confused with less power, as there is definitely more power in that range than w/ the air box... it's just that the oomph at that range is absent replaced by a smooth roll on in power.

Future plans calls for leaning out the mains to 110, playing with the clip positions in both richer and leaner steps and further fine tuning of the mixture screws.

As a base setting, the recommendations made by Vex (thank you, Vex!!) are great and pretty close to get the bike running well with the air box delete and separate air cleaner installed. My attempts will be to zero in on making the bike respond crisper and more aggressively throughout the entire range for my daily commute.

If you have any comments or questions regarding the changes I've made or changes I plan to make, I would be more than happy to continue discussion in the jetting database discussion thread...

jetting... isn't it fun and simple??

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4
kkim

redid jetting yet again....

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: air box removed. K&N R-0990 Filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS:Area P Quiet core full system, Kleen air system removed

MAIN JET: 110

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 4

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2-3/4 turns out from bottom, initially

Went one step leaner on the main from a 112 to a 110. Bike pulled a bit better all the way to redline.

When I did that, the midrange was anemic and the bike showed signs of being lean at idle, (long warm up and had to use choke a lot to get the bike warm) so I moved the clip from the 3rd position to the 4th. Midrange improved greatly and warmup barely needs choke at cold startup.

Had to redo the mixture crews settings. I've found the best way to set it is to the turn it in till the idle starts dropping then turn it back out about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I fine tune the exact mixture screw position by blipping the throttle when the bike is fully warm and watch how the tach needle settles down to the set idle speed. If it hangs above the idle speed, then comes down, the bike is a bit lean and I turn the mixture screw out (CCW) about 1/8 of a turn on both carbs. If you blip the throttle and the idle falls below the set idle speed and then comes back up, the mixture is rich and you need to turn the mixture screw CW about 1/8 turn. Repeat until you get it so when you blip the throttle, the idle settles back to your preset idle speed. I use 1500RPM as my idle speed only because it is easy to read precisely on the tach face.

Bike now idles fine, rips through the midrange and pulls all the way to redline with no problems. It may not be perfect,yet, but it is better than my previous setup. Will live with this for awhile to see if it has any shortcomings. I have not heard any pinging from the smaller 110 main.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM   #5
ak_907_ak
ninjette.org member

Name: Nico

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Snorkel removed

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Yoshimura Full Exhaust

JET KIT OR STOCK? Kit

MAIN JET: Keihin #100

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: FP needle, 3rd from top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2 1/2 turns out

ELEVATION: Sealevel to 1000ft.

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Can't test my setup until spring, but idle and startup is much better!
ak_907_ak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #6
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Currently have the airbox removed

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Full Area-P

JET KIT OR STOCK? Kitttt

MAIN JET: 112.5

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3rd from the top with 1 washer under each needle.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: Somewhere around 2-3/4 turns out.

ELEVATION: Sea level to maybe 1,500 ft.

I was running a little rich on the top end with the 112 jets, but figured the cooler weather would cancel this out and it has. On the cooler days the bike really performs disturbingly well. Probably in the spring I'll drop to the 110's and try them out. I also drilled the carburetor slides to improve the throttle response a tad. I aim on eventually testing out different runner lengths (That is the hose that runs between the head and the carburetor) to try and refocus my powerband down a bit. As for the mixture screws I don't really keep track on the exact turnage, but the 2-3/4 out seems to be a good starting point.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Bone_Head311
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 09 250 ninja

YEAR:09 Ninja 250 Red(It's the fastest)

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS:Airbox removed, using the intake tubes from stock airbox with a K&n filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS:Yoshimura Full Cf exhaust without the silencer.

JET KIT OR STOCK?kit

BRAND OF JET KIT?Dynojet

MAIN JET:108

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION:e-clip 3rd down with two washers underneath

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS:2.5 turns out

ELEVATION:knee high

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP:Rich! Powerband is very smooth. Sarts up way better than stock. Sounds great. Im gonna go down to a 106 and see what that does

Old December 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #8
toku
ninjette.org member

Name: Yuri

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Yoshimura CF Full Exhaust

JET KIT OR STOCK? jet kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? dynojet 2193

MAIN JET: 98 DJ

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: DJ needles with clips on 3rd notch from top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3 turns out

ELEVATION: ~400 to 4000 ft.

MISCELLANESOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Originally I tried putting the 100 main jets in but they turned out to be too rich. After moving down to the 98's I tuned the bike the way DynoJet recommends in the installation instructions. What I've found is that the bike feels a little sluggish around 8-9k rpm (this was prior to changing sprockets) so I'm thinking the needle needs to come a little. One day when I have time I'll set the clip to the 4th groove and mess with the idle screws to get the tuning spot on. For now it seems to idle fine just not perfect.

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #9
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Air box removed. Using the intake tubes from the OEM air box into the K&N R-0990 Filter.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS:Standard Area P CF full system

JET KIT OR STOCK: Jet Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT: Factory Pro

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3rd from the Top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.75 turns out from full in.

ELEVATION: sea level to ~400ft.

Don't have much to add since I just got the jetting in this weekend. But I notice that it pulls hard to redline from 1st to 5th. Pulls hard to around 8k in 6th gear then it takes awhile for it to hit redline.

It has been cold the past few days. Had some fog the prior week, and now rain/hail this week.

When I blip the throttle at idle (1500 rpm) the rev drops below and then it takes awhile for it to back up.

The following is weird: When my high beam lights are on, it idles at 1500 rpm. When I turn off my high beam it idles harder like around ~1600. Don't know why this is.

Will add more later since I haven't been on the bike that much to give a good report.

Last futzed with by islanderman7; December 16th, 2008 at 02:45 PM.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #10
brian997
Master of the ZZR

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki 250 ZZR

YEAR: 2005 EX250-H (ZZR)

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS:None

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS:None

JET KIT OR STOCK? Stock

BRAND OF JET KIT?n/a

MAIN JET:stock

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION:stock

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS:stock

ELEVATION:76m[asl] (246ft)

Pilot Jet changed to a stock #40. Thats it, the bike runs smooth.
brian997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #11
Bone_Head311
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 250 ninja

YEAR: 2009

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N filter using stock airbox tubes

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Full CF Yoshimura

JET KIT OR STOCK? yes

BRAND OF JET KIT? dynojet

MAIN JET: 106

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3rd from the top with 2 washer under each needle.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2-1/2 turns out.

ELEVATION: Sea level

It was running rich with the 108, so i went down to a 106. Has much more power thorughout the powerband. I want to get to a dyno to check the afr's but my next lowest jet is a 100, so tuning would hard.

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #12
Army Aviator
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

YEAR: 2008 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N filter R-0990 with factory airbox tubes

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area-P full system with 12" carbon fiber muffler

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: clip set 3rd from top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: approx 2 3/4

ELEVATION: slightly above sea level

The bike runs LOUD, earplugs are mandatory, but I like it! This little Ninja is a whole new animal and I feel like I just got a new bike again. Going with 112 main jets while the weather bounces between 40 degree days and 70 degree days, but I'll try the 110's when Alabama gets hot again. Also, switched to NGK Iridium spark plugs part number CR8EIX.
Army Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Name: Reeeeee

Motorcycle(s): '06 R6/'08 250R

YEAR: 2008 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N R-0990

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Yoshi CF Full System

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: clip set 3rd from top with 2 washers (which basically makes this on 4th position)

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: approx 2+ I really dont know anymore. Ive pretty much got the tach needle sittin pretty right back to 1.5K

ELEVATION: sea level

I recently switched to the 110 from a 112 since it was about 70 degress here today and I was bored. I have to say I gave this a try because of Kelly's results. Ive checked the plugs 3 different times after 3 different pulls and so far so good. I will be sticking with this setup for awhile since this has showed the best results.
Sloppy2nds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #14
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P full exhaust system

MAIN JET: 95

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: #3 with 3 washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2 1/2

ELEVATION: some were between 500ft to 1000ft (I am guessing)

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Set up using factory pro sample installations. It seems to pull hard all the way to red line. The frist 3 grears are gone in notime. Don't know if this will be my final setting but if I have to pull the carbs again the air box is going.
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #15
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Snorkel removed

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P 18" Quiet Core Full

BRAND OF JET KIT? Dynojet

MAIN JET: 96

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: #3 with 1 washer

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5

ELEVATION Sea level

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE'S JETTING SETUP: The Dynojet needles with #3 clip position are slightly shorter than the stock needles. When I first installed the exhaust and jet kit, I was using the 100 main jet and 2 washers under the needles. It was way rich at the bottom and would bog down considerably. Sustained freeway speeds at 9k also killed my mileage down to around 30mpg. So I removed one of the washers and skipped down to the 96 main jet. High end is fine - mileage is back to around 45-50. But I'm considering removing the last washer as it still seems a little rich at the bottom.
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #16
thebulbousone
ninjette.org member

Name: mason

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: snorkel removed, k&n filter installed with airbox

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: area-p 9" carbon fiber can / full system

JET KIT OR STOCK? jet kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? dyno-jet

MAIN JET: 96

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: factory recommendation... im drawing a blank

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3 full turns both sides

ELEVATION: ohio... there's an ocean?

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: i set-up the bike a per dyno-jet manual, dynojet tech service guy, kerry at area-p, and richard at racebikerentals amalgam of information... since my initial set-up i have not touched a thing... ran two tanks of fuel through it... and am averaging 56mpg... the bike pulls nicely throughout the band and after i hit 4th gear and 9000+ rpm's i'm off like a rocket... the difference between last year riding and this year is like a pedal car to a dragster... why didnt anyone tell me to do this sooner?... special thanks to kkim... the jedi master himself filled in any holes that the other gods of propulsion left out... ridiculously cool... and yes the 9" exhaust is loud!!!
thebulbousone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #17
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed, K&N-0990 w/ intake runners from stock box

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area-P 18" CF Quiet core, full system

JET KIT OR STOCK? Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? DynoJet

MAIN JET: 108

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 4rd from the top (Arranged E-clip, 3 washers, E-clip).

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: About 2-3/4 turns out.

ELEVATION: 2,100 ft. +/- 1,000 ft

Spent the weekend trying out various main jets after pulling the airbox (first attempt tuning). Honestly can't tell much difference between 106-110 mains (pulls pretty hard and consistently from about 6k to redline) so went with the 108, but feel like I lost a little top speed when I pulled the airbox, so may need to step back up to 110s. Had DJ100 mains in before the airbox delete. Agree that the bike is considerably louder when accelerating hard, but getting to like it so long as I've got my plugs in.

With needles @ 3rd from top: Bike seems to be more stable from a dead stop after tuning the mixture screws (bogs less), but it still seems to drop the acceleration ball a bit so think I may need to lean the needles a bit yet.

Edit: With needles @ 4th from top: Bike seems happier, but still hesitates from a dead stop with lots of throttle. However the rpms are only dropping a hair and it's not bad at all. Still seems to surge when going from idle to on throttle, but suspect that's just the machine at work.

Last futzed with by Momaru; September 9th, 2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: needle reconfig
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #18
madcrossover
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed, K&N-0990 with stock intake runners

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area-P Standard, full system

MAIN JET: 106

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3rd from the top with 2 washers.

ELEVATION: Roughly 909 Ft. from what Wiki tells me!

From the 2 days I have started the bike with this setup, the bike needs the choke to start. Bike runs good all the way up, and sounds good too. I did have to adjust the Idle RPM after the change, went from roughly 13-1400K before to 1000K after. Not sure if that is normal. I do feel like im in a higher RPM when I get to 60, but I will double check and see where its at. Also when I blip the throttle, it drops below but doesnt do it all the time. Sometimes it goes back to normal right away. I do smell gas more than I did before, maybe do to bigger jets compared to a 96 jet.
madcrossover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #19
shadow
chicken strips

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Ninja 250R

Update 10/4/2009
YEAR: 2009 Black

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Snorkel removed, Kleen air plugged

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Two-Brothers slip-on, stock headers

BRAND OF JET KIT? Dyno-Jet Stage II

MAIN JET: DJ #98

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: DynoJet stage 2 needles, clip pos #3 w/2 washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: ....somewhere... (around 2 out L and 2.2 out R...it made the carbs sync, but rice crispies again and a VERY Stinky "morning breath")

ELEVATION: 500+/-

high rev lag earlier due to throttle opening half way...dealership or previous owner had put the "throttle tube-stop" on the wrong side of the pulley lever, thus blocking bike at half throttle. Also upgraded to #98 DJs, Kleen air removed, with snorkel, #3 DJ needles with 2 washers on top for weight, and mixture screws in dire need of work (got them to sync by ear, but since I don't have the Magical MOS tool, tuning them is a pain in the wrist at the moment, so theyre "somewhere"). Mid to high pulls nice though...

Last futzed with by shadow; October 4th, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #20
srsly
ninjette.org newbie

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

YEAR:2009

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: no snorkle

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: stock

JET KIT OR STOCK? OEM jet

BRAND OF JET KIT? OEM

MAIN JET: keihin #100

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: stock needle, one washer

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: stock

ELEVATION: 0-500

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: i guess my bike was a little lean to begin with. friends bought at the same time from the same store, one was close to ideal, one was rich as hell.

when i put the #100 jet and one washer in i hadn't removed the snorkel yet. i went for a run around the block and noticed it pulled better but was still a little sluggish. at the suggestion of my friend with the rich bike who had also put in #100 jets but no shim i pulled the snorkel. it pulls noticeably harder now from about 4k all the way to 12k. i feel like it might be a tiny bit lean since my legs feel a bit more heat from the engine and the fan comes on more often at stop lights. this could be coincidental as it's been warmer lately and i've been jamming the throttle a bit more often i feel like it could use another washer and possibly a #102 jet without the snorkel. think i'll have a look at the plugs before i dive in. i'll update when i have time to look. for now it feels pretty good.
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #21
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed/UNI pod filters in place

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Yoshimura full

JET KIT OR STOCK? Stock

BRAND OF JET KIT? n/a

MAIN JET: Keihin 100

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3 washer

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.6ish

ELEVATION 4600-11000

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE'S JETTING SETUP: I need to spend one more weekend messing with settings but I may wait until next spring for that. I can't tell if I like this setup better or a 105 main with 2 washers...Gas mileage is about the same as I was getting stock. Bike feels way better than stock, pulls harder and is much smoother all around.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #22
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Year ..2008 Race Street

Intake modifications ..K&N 0990 filter Pods

Exhaust modifications.. Nojima Moto GP Yoshi

Brand of jet kit.. Dyno jet

Main jet ..Keihin 118 DJ 110

Needle and clip position.. center

Pilot screw . 2.5 turns out 2 turns

Pilot jets ..drilled some

Elevation.. Sea level

Miscellaneous information about the bikes set up .
Cylinder block cut down .010"
Adjustable cam sprockets adjusted to a slight retard exhaust cam
mechanical timing chain adjuster.
BRT-TIS ignition custom map. 43deg
Rocket 100 fuel VP MR9 93

Last futzed with by Racer x; September 24th, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #23
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed/UNI pod filters in place

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Yoshimura full w/quiet tip

JET KIT OR STOCK? Stock

BRAND OF JET KIT? n/a

MAIN JET: Keihin 100

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 4 washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.6ish

ELEVATION 4600-11000

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE'S JETTING SETUP: seems to pull a bit better in the mid range with 4 washers instead of 3. I think I will enjoy the rest of the riding season here with this setup and adjust some more next spring.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #24
fastbyjb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): K1200GT F800ST Ninja250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed, individual K&N Pods

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Yoshimura Full System

JET KIT OR STOCK? Stock

BRAND OF JET KIT? n/a

MAIN JET: Keihin 110

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 4 washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3

ELEVATION 1000-5000

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE'S JETTING SETUP: Initially set this up with two washers and 2.5 on the mixture screws, bike ran great at full throttle but 75-80mph driving on the freeway (at 1/2 throttle) showed lots of surge. Went to four washers, this cleaned it up a bit, turned out the mixture screws another .5 turn...Viola, happy all around
fastbyjb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #25
patzcool
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed, K&N 0990

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: CLD Python Full System

JET KIT OR STOCK? Jetkit

MAIN JET: 105

PILOT JET: 40

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: FP, 3rd from top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 1 3/4 left, 1 1/2 right

TIS: BRT 41 deg

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE'S JETTING SETUP: the bike run fast and wild!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last futzed with by patzcool; December 11th, 2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: rejetting fuel mixture screw
patzcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #26
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed/BMC pods filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Akrapovic Titanium w/ carbon tip

JET KIT OR STOCK? JetKit

MAIN JET: Keihin 110

Pilot: 40

ECU timing: BRT TIS upgrade (non-prog)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 4th position (clip)

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5 (around there)

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE'S JETTING SETUP:

This is a rejet from 112 main jet with Yoshi CF pipe. I switched over to Akrapovic pike (much quieter to my liking). The bike feels a little sluggish but with the BRT TIS that I added shortly after that, it eliminated that a bit. Anyhow, I got a replacement pilot jet from FP (they didn't send me one)...so I busted the carb open again, pulled the slider out and drill a little hole with the #70 drill bit, then popped in 110 mainjet, raise the needle to #4 click, swapped out stock #38 pilot jet to #40, wrapped everything up, tuned the idle mixture, resynched the carb...
The bike pulls like mad all the way to redline...no sluggish anywhere...i think i'm happy with this for now.

Last futzed with by randomwalk101; December 27th, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #27
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

YEAR: 2002 Ninja 250

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N Pods R-0990

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Stock

JET KIT OR STOCK? Road Rider sells this - 108 jets for about 3 bucks each.

BRAND OF JET KIT? Not sure whatever Road Rider carries

MAIN JET: 108

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3 Washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 1.5 Turns out from the bottom

ELEVATION: Not sure but I live in San Jose, CA wikipedia says 87 feet.

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Feels pretty good with 3 washers, did 2 washers and it did not cut it.

Old February 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #28
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Removed airbox, K&N Filter, no runners.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P Standard Length Full System

JET KIT OR STOCK? Jet Kit.

BRAND OF JET KIT? Factory Pro.

MAIN JET: 112.5

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3rd from top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2 turns out

ELEVATION: ~1000 Ft

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Used the larger pilot jets included with the Factory Pro kit. I forget exactly the specs on those jets. Float bowls are still at factory settings.

Old March 4th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #29
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

YEAR: 2000

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: None.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P Standard Stainless Steel Exhaust

JET KIT OR STOCK: Dynojet Stage 1&3 Jet Kit

MAIN JET: DJ098

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Dynojet-supplied needles; clip in 5th position

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5 turns out

ELEVATION: +153 FT (46 meters)

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: These settings work with an average temperature under 50*F.

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #30
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

update....

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: air box removed. K&N RC - 2370 Filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Custom 15" Area P Quiet core full system, Kleen air system removed

BRAND OF JET KIT? Sportisi jet kit

PILOT JET: 40 (from oem kawasaki)

MAIN JET: 110 (Sportisi jet kit)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 2

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2-1/2 turns out from bottom (not 100% sure tho, mechs did that at Kawasaki)

ELEVATION: sea level-ish

used to run the areaP exhaust with the stock air box and its snorkel removed, using the stock 38 pilot jets, needle clips@ 3rd position, and #98 mains. that set up ran good! i felt a decent improvement over the stock exhaust/jetting. i had a dynorun and got a decent result, with just a hair off hitting 30 Hp. (stock rear wheel HP is usually around 24~25 i believe)

i will update again once i figure out if i like my current set up, or if it needs further messing about

Last futzed with by wayanlam; April 11th, 2010 at 03:22 AM.
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #31
madcrossover
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

UPDATE...

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed, K&N-0990 with stock intake runners

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area-P Standard, full system

MAIN JET: went from 106 to 108

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: went from 3rd from the top with 2 washers to 4th

ELEVATION: Roughly 909 Ft. from what Wiki tells me!

Also drilled slides with a #70 drill bit, which cleaned up the throttle response even more.

Noticed the Bike runs a lot better than the previous setup. I'm able to go through the gears without hesitation from what i can tell. Still need to check the plugs, to make sure they look ok. Other than that bike is running good!

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #32
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N air filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Sportisi VR

JET KIT OR STOCK? both

BRAND OF JET KIT? Sportisi

MAIN JET: 98 Keihin (stock)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Sportisi needles. Clip in top grove w. one washer underneath.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5 turns out approximately

MISCELLANESOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: I jetted using an AEM air/fuel gauge.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #33
SayWat?
been around.....

Name: Toi

Motorcycle(s): 09 SE 250R

INTAKE: MODIFIED STOCK AIRBOX (CUTTED THE REAR SECTION OF THE AIRBOX OPEN)
EXHAUST: FULL YOSHI
JET KIT: DYNOJET 2193 (STAGE 2)
MAIN JET: DJ098
JET SETTING: E-CLIP AT 3RD GROVE AND 2 WASHERS ABOVE IT THEN E-CLIP ON TOP
MIXTURE SCREW SETTING: 2.75 TURNS

MIS: running good so far
SayWat? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM   #34
wtf
ninjette.org member

Name: sean

Motorcycle(s): '13 Monster 696 ABS, '08 250R Ninja, Black (Sold),

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: None

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Akrapovic Slip-on

MAIN JET: #92
PILOT JET: #40

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3 washers from clip

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5 turns out

ELEVATION: Sea Level

Bike has instant throttle response and feels very strong in all rev ranges.
wtf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #35
drstimpy
two wheels good

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250 and 08 Triumph Sprint ST and custom calfee carbon race tandem

YEAR:04

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: pods

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: area-p full system with regular (louder) core

JET KIT OR STOCK? jet

BRAND OF JET KIT? Factory pro

MAIN JET:112

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3rd from top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3 turns

ELEVATION:see the ocean out the window

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Was pretty easy to figure mains. Started at 110 and had lean surging so after raising needle a notch, still surging a bit so tried the 112s with the needle 3rd from top and seemed spot on so I didn't mess with it further. Left floats alone because bike had no problem with full throttle at low revs. Moved to mixture screws and really had to fuss with them a lot. Kept hanging and would hardly idle when coldish and reved to the moon when hot. Tried the turn until it misses technique but couldn't really hear miss. So just started over and backed em both out to 3 full turns and now it is better...still lean hangs a bit but idle is stable and the minor backfires at high vacuum are now just a little burble. May need a bigger pilot if 3 turns doesn't do it but will wait for warm air to be sure. Really enjoyed tinkering as I am a complete newbie to wrenching my bike and it all went the way it was supposed to go.

Last futzed with by drstimpy; April 25th, 2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: "pods" came up emoticon
drstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #36
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: k&n air filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Hard Rock Motorsports slip on (has adjustable baffling)

BRAND OF JET KIT? Dynojet

MAIN JET: unknown, wherever dynojet recommended

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: same as above

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: unknown

ELEVATION: west coast, so sea level to sierra nevadas

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Snorkel was removed by previous owner, exhaust installed by previous owner. Bike felt very lean, no grunt in low rpm and unbearable arounf 5-6k. Jet kit was installed and tuned before air filter. Bike felt rich, almost flooded, but the engine felt a lot smoother and had more grunt in the low and mid range. Air filter installed and Exhaust has adjustable baffling set to most open setting for maximum airflow. Bike feels great, smooth and quick all through the rpm range.
TrueFader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #37
deezyellownutz
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Zx10R 2009 250R

YEAR: 2009 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Pulled Snorkel

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Full SS Tsukigi Exhaust

JET KIT OR STOCK? Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? Dyno Jet Stage 2

MAIN JET: 98

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Third from the top with two washers on top.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3 turns out

ELEVATION: Boston Area I don't know. 150 - 250ft?

Response is better with the jet kit. Not much else has been done.

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #38
lime_green_kwaka
ninjette.org newbie

Name: steven

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

YEAR: 08 250r

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N panel, no snorkel

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: M4 full

JET KIT OR STOCK?: Jet kit

BRAND OF JET KIT?: Dynojet

MAIN JET: #98

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3rd groove down, 2 washers on top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 1 & 3 quarter left, 2 and half right

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Started on 3 turns out like they suggest, but the bike surged way to much on take off. came down to two and half, still not great. Adjusted them individually in the end and used an infrared thermometer to check exhaust temps, one was way more than the other. hence the unequal settings. after that and the carbs synced, they were spot on, bike runs so much smoother.
lime_green_kwaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM   #39
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Snorkel removed, K&N panel filter in stock airbox, Kleen Air system removed and holes plugged

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: AreaP QuietCore full exhaust

JET KIT OR STOCK? Jet kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? FactoryPro

MAIN JET: Stock (Keihin #98)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Per FactoryPro starting point recommendation - clip in third groove from the top, three washers above

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: Initially 2 1/2 turns out, now 2 1/4, going to try 2 flat. The bike runs just fine at all rpms and loads, but when the throttle is blipped at idle the speed drops below the idle set point and returns.

ELEVATION: Sea level to about 150 feet

- Pilot jet replaced with the #40 alternate that came in the jet kit
- DynoJet dynamometer results:
- Peak HP 28.91
- Peak torque 14.37

The dyno guy said "You're fine... you don't need to do anything." He also said his dyno is a bit "tight" and the real numbers may be slightly higher.

Air/fuel was dancing around the "ideal" line... maybe just a tiny bit on the rich side of things overall, but not enough to warrant making any changes.

Fuel economy after a week and two tanks of fuel is between 55 and 63 mpg, driveability is excellent, choke is not needed at startup, and the sound is to die for.

A huge THANK YOU to kkim, who recommended this exact setup. Except for the idle mixture screw settings, he enabled me to nail it on the first try!
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #40
QuarterBoreNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): Why do you care?

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removed, K&N-0990 w/ stock intake runners

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area-P standard length CF full system, kleen air system removed

BRAND OF JET KIT? Factory Pro 3.0

Pilot Jet: 38

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 4

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3.0

ELEVATION: 770 feet

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Began with the 112.5 main, pulled well. Tried the 110 and oh yea, that's the ticket! Pulled ever stronger to redline.

Began with the clip in the 3rd position on the needle but had surging at higher RPM's with small throttle openings. Moved clip to the 4th position, surging eliminated and bike pulled much better in the 5k to 8k range.

Idle circuit was a bit of a challenge, the Factory Pro supplied 40 pilot jet had the idle circuit very rich. Very boggy until 5k or so. Idle was impossible to set and bike would stall if the throttle was touched. Float height was within spec but to lean out the circuit enough the air/fuel mixture screws needed to be at .75, still very soft, no power in the low RPM range, idle still dropping below the set point. Returned to the stock 38 pilot jet, set the mixture screws to 2.5 and eventually settled on a mixture setting of 3.0. Idle is solid, low RPM steady state cruise smooth, bike will take full throttle at 3k in 2nd gear cleanly.

The carburetor slides were each drilled with a #70 drill bit, the throttle response was improved especially during rev-matching downshifting...

Last futzed with by QuarterBoreNinja; May 24th, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Added information...
QuarterBoreNinja is offline   Reply With Quote