ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 4th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #121
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Updated.

YEAR: 2009 ninja 250r

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS:no Airbox; K&N Air Filter 0990; Crank case breather, Kleen delete.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P 18" Quiet Core

JET KIT OR STOCK? Jet Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? Factory Pro

MAIN JET: 110 - down from 112

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Middle notch

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5 turns out - in from 2.75 out

ELEVATION: 663 Ft above Sea Level

Dropped the main jet from 112 to 110 and adjusted screws out. Honestly the bike ran fine and plugs were not terrible but bike was rich and needed to choke to start, dropped the main and adjusted the screws, not perfect but better.

Put about 5000 miles on the bike with 112s, avg mileage was 55 mpg with a 15T front, will report back.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #122
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Updated.

YEAR: 2009 ninja 250r

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS:no Airbox; K&N Air Filter 0990; Crank case breather, Kleen delete.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P 18" Quiet Core

MAIN JET: 110 - down from 112

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Middle notch

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5 turns out - in from 2.75 out

ELEVATION: 663 Ft above Sea Level

Dropped the main jet from 112 to 110 and adjusted screws out. Honestly the bike ran fine and plugs were not terrible but bike was rich and needed to choke to start, dropped the main and adjusted the screws, not perfect but better.

Put about 5000 miles on the bike with 112s, avg mileage was 55 mpg with a 15T front, will report back.
I finally went down to a 108 keihin the other week and really like it. I put my needle clip in the middlish this weekend and it feels pretty spot on everywhere. Should get to the dyno this month maybe ill let you know what it looks like

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #123
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I finally went down to a 108 keihin the other week and really like it. I put my needle clip in the middlish this weekend and it feels pretty spot on everywhere. Should get to the dyno this month maybe ill let you know what it looks like
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #124
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

YEAR: 2012

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Snorkel removed

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P Quiet Core full exhaust system

MAIN JET: 95 Keihin

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Factory Pro needles with clips at the third position.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.75 turns out.

ELEVATION: 0-500 feet.

MISCELLANESOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Kleen air system plugged, CA emissions removed. Bike pulls well through all gears.

Last futzed with by Ralgha; October 1st, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #125
Creepshow
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Breck

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Smile Current Jet settings+air fuel mixture screws

Bike: 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX 16,000 miles.

Mods: CA emissions junk removed, K&N R-0990 Air filter (airbox removed), Outerwears pre-filter, Duralast crankcase breather [# BF3303 DL] (with hose clamp), Pirelli Sport Demon tires, EBC Semi sintered front brake pads, EBC Kevlar rear brake pads.

Settings: 108 main jets, stock needles, air/fuel screws 3 1/2 turns out, idle @ 1,250 rpm

{stock exhaust}---- ~1,318 Ft above sea level

Bike screams through RPM range with good acceleration, top speed ~100 Mph or a little over, @ 11,000 rpm.
Creepshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:02 AM   #126
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

Name: Red Snapper XXX

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

YEAR: 2009 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N KA-2508 Similar to stock, De-Snorkeled

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Stock

BRAND OF JET KIT? DynoJet

MAIN JET: DJ 98

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: clip set 3rd from top with 2 washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: Tried 3.0 and 2.5

ELEVATION: Toronto, Ontario 246FT 75 Metres to 686 FT 209 Metres

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP:
Pulls hard to redline, middle range is great, no choke needed at all to start, but hard to control low end. If I just crack the throttle it pulls too hard, Sparks plugs are black, If I apply choke the bike stalls, I smell gas from the exhaust, Fuel mileage is bad news. Bike is running too rich. Tried adjusting mixture screws, Valves adjustment, carb sync, cleaned carbs. Will trying adjusting needles to 2 clip position from top to make it less rich to see if it fixes my low end,not make my spark plugs black, and fix fuel mileage.
redsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #127
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Snorkel removed

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P Quiet Core full exhaust system

MAIN JET: 95 Keihin

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Factory Pro needles with clips at the fourth position.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.75 turns out.

ELEVATION: 0-500 feet.

MISCELLANESOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Kleen air system plugged, CA emissions removed. Bike pulls well through all gears.

Went and had a dyno baseline done today, and was pleased to find out that my butt dyno was pretty close. He recommended enriching the needles by one clip position and that was it, so I did. Pulled 29.6 HP and 15 on the torque on the dyno.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #128
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

2009 250R Dyno Jet Stage 2 Update

I previously posted my plugs were black and the low end was hard to control.

There were errors in my post, my mechanic friend looked at the plugs and there were ok, I was not looking at them right. My low end was way too touchy. I just crack the throttle just a hair and I could cruise around the city, but if I moved it back a hair, I would lose power. Very hard to control. Middle range and Top end pull hard and was EXCITING!!!!

I moved the clip to the 2nd spot from the top, below is my current results and other notes.

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N KA-2508 Similar to stock, De-Snorkeled

BRAND OF JET KIT? DynoJet

MAIN JET: DJ 98

Pilot Jet: Stock

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: clip set 2nd from top with 2 washers on top

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: Tried 2.5 to 3.0

ELEVATION: Toronto, Ontario 246FT 75 Metres to 686 FT 209 Metres

Currently using 2nd clip from top.

Top End: Pull better than stock not as good when the clip was on the 3rd position.

Middle Range:
Pull better than stock not as good when the clip was on the 3rd position.
Stumbles at 9000 RPM, I did not have this problem when it was on the 3rd position.

Low End:
Easier to control, better than stock, easy to ride in town, not as fun as before when I had it in the 3rd position.

Misc Notes:
I no longer have the strong smell of gas from the exhaust when it idles, or people smell gas behind me. My idle drifts from 1000-1200 no matter what I do, I had this idle drift before I re-jetted. I'm going to clean my carb, and try choneofakind advice. I am not going to place the clip in the third position like before, I going to add washer to try to make in 2 1/2 position. I will let you guys know if it helps.

Cheers!!!

Old February 28th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #129
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

YEAR: 2009

WARNING I have be jetting in cold weather, so my results are not meant for spring/summer temperatures.
When it gets warmer, I'll update with new results.

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Kleen air delete. Uni filter Dual Foam 6 inch UP6200ST with PVC pipe as intake runner. The Pod filters are about 1 inch away from the battery box. I wanted to make sure the back of the pod filter airflow was not blocked by the battery box. The bracket back/under the gas tank with the four bolts, I had to grind down, because it had tabs for the old airbox, and was pinching my 6 inch pod filters

JET KIT: Dyno Jet

BRAND OF JET KIT: Dyno Jet Stage 3 #2393

MAIN JET:
DJ112/Keihin 117.5 for Cold Weather. -5/25F to 10C/50F (richer and stronger smell of gas when ambient temperature is warmer 10C/50F)

PILOT JET: Stock #38

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: DJ needles with clips at the Forth position (What Dynojet recommends), Tried Fifth Position, bike was spitting fuel out of the bottom exhaust drain hole and strong smell of gas at 3000-4500 rpm parked when I revved it.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.25 turns out.

ELEVATION: 75-646 feet.

Temperature: -5/25F to 10C/50F

MISCELLANESOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP:
Installed block off plate, Removed Air injection into exhaust to get rid of backfiring.

I initially had DJ108/Keihin 112 jets installed, but the Ninja 250R refused to go past 11000 RPM in 2nd gear with WOT. Temperature was around 4C

Installed DJ112/Keihin 117 bike pulls hard, I would like to have tried DJ110/Keihin115's, but it did not come with my Dynojet kit.

I ordered some Keihin 115's jets, and will test them when it gets warmer + 10C

Earlier I was getting tons of white exhaust smoke even after the bike was fully warmed up, but it went away. I think it was the new Uni Pod filters, I freshly oiled them and maybe some of the oil got sucked it.

Made intake runners (PVC Pipe) connected to the carbs with a rubber plumping coupler, but notice the top of the intake carb holes were being covered. I ended making the pvc pipe very short (1.5 inches) to not block it.

Because of the longer air pods, and intake runners, I had to relocate the starter relay/fuse under the battery box.

Small throttle openings 1/8 to close makes the bike jerky. I still need to balance my carb, and may try a #40 Pilot jet.

Bike seems to using a lot more gas.

I love the extra power.

Last futzed with by redsnapper; April 26th, 2016 at 09:43 PM.

Old February 29th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #130
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Edit, didn't notice this was newgen, Is there a pregen section?

YEAR: 2005

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N pod filter, DIY Ported cylinder head, Drilled carb slides, removed needle washers (extra weight)

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: PO Drilled out the holes around the main exit to 1/4", Ported Cylinder head (waiting to find a muzzy or area P)

JET KIT OR STOCK? Jet kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? Dynojet

MAIN JET: DJ 114

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: DJ Needles 3rd Clip Position

PILOT: Keihn 40

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3 turns out

ELEVATION: 800 ft

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: I doubt anybody it going to want to copy this setup, (ported head and all). Currently awaiting a dyno tune.

Old May 8th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #131
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

UPDATED WITH NEW INFO

Previous had it set up for cold weather from -5/25F to 10C/50F, now testing at +15C/59F to 20C/68F

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Kleen air delete. Uni filter Dual Foam 6 inch UP6200ST with PVC pipe as intake runner. The Pod filters are about 1 inch away from the battery box. I wanted to make sure the back of the pod filter airflow was not blocked by the battery box. The bracket back/under the gas tank with the four bolts, I had to grind down, because it had tabs for the old airbox, and was pinching my 6 inch pod filters

MAIN JET:
DJ114/Keihin 120

PILOT JET: Stock #40

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3 1/3 DJ needles with clips at the 3 position with 3 washers on top, and 1 washer under clip, which would make it needle position 3 1/3. Previously had it on 4th position but when it got warmer mid range bogged..

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 1.25 turns out.

Temperature: +15C/59F to 20C/68F

Installed block off plate, Removed Air injection into exhaust to get rid of backfiring.

Had DJ112/Keihin 117 and Plugs were white at WOT. Switch to DJ114/Keihin 120 Main jet and #40 Pilot Jet. Bike pulls a tiny bit harder than previous. Might Try A DJ116/Keihin 122.5 to see what happens.

Last futzed with by redsnapper; June 18th, 2016 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Updating with new Jet Info.

Old May 14th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #132
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

Update

UPDATED WITH NEW INFO

MAIN JET:
SEE BELOW

PILOT JET: #40 (NOT THE STOCK 38)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3 1/3 DJ needles with clips at the 3 position with 3 washers on top, and 1 washer under clip, which would make it needle position 3 1/3. Previously had it on 4th position but when it got warmer mid range bogged..

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 1.25 turns out.

Temperature: 0C/32F to 25C/77F

Spark Plug NGK CR8EIX.

UPDATE DJ114/Keihin 120 Weather has gone crazy and it dropped to 4C/39F, feels like it's the fall season.
Removed intake runners, and 2nd layer of Uni Pod UP6200ST. The 2nd layer makes it hard to put the filter on the carb.
Bike revs better, feels a lot stronger 4/5/6. Was a blast to ride going WOT on the highway.
With removal of intake runners, low end, and mid range torque is weaker, have to give it a tiny bit more throttle to get it moving. Overall, having intake runners is NOT worth it.
Decelerating/brakes no exhaust gurgling or strong smell of gas.

UPDATE 15C/59F to 27C/77F
Change my jets 2 size smaller from DJ114/Keihin 120 to DJ110/Keihin 115 NO Intake runner.
Bike feels good, Did not have to adjust my mixture screws or play with the needles.
Decelerating/brakes on city streets I can hear a bit of exhaust gurgling but no smell of gas. Since I was only using 1/4 to close throttle. Thought about trying 1 jet size more DJ112/Keihin 117 to see if it helps, but summer is coming soon and it'll act rich, so sticking to DJ110/Keihin 115. Will see if the Bike improves or get worse when it gets warmer.
Getting new plugs next week, will test again.

UPDATE 20C/68F to 32C/90F
DJ110/Keihin 115
DJ needle clip in the middle (3rd) was at 3 1/3
Place back intake runners to get back some low end power, better for city riding, a little bit slower to rev at WOT
Installed new NGK CR8EIX spark plugs NO DIFFERENCE.

UPDATE
Tested Bike at night. Bike Fully warmed up, Went on highway and did WOT to 11000-13000RPM coolant blinks on for a split second. Tried 3rd and 4th Gear, same issue. This tells me main jet is too small.
Will installing next bigger Main Jet to see if the issue goes away. I didn't noticed this before because, I usually ride in the day, and in the city. Not going fast enough, and can't see the coolant light blink.
Bike runs fine, just worried.
20C/68F
DJ110/Keihin 115
DJ needle clip in the middle (3rd)
#40 Pilot
MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS 1.75 turns out.

UPDATE
Pulled Spark plugs. White, Too lean!
20C/68F
Change Jet to DJ114/Keihin 120.
Coolant light no longer flashes when going WOT 11000-13000RPM, when I try to get up to speed on the highway or just doing WOT runs.
#40 Pilot
MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS 1.50 turns out.
Low end close to 1/8 thottle is a bit lean because (Idle hangs when blipping) I reset the mixture screws to 1.5 turns by mistake. I had them at 1.75 turns. Going to have to adjust (Open) them when I get the chance.
Did NOT pull plugs out after my run. Was late and tired.

UPDATE
30C/86F
Uni filter Dual Foam 6 inch UP6200ST (Do NOT have 2nd layer installed)
Have intake runners to get back some low end power, better for city riding, a little bit slower to rev at WOT
Main Jet: DJ114/Keihin 120.
#40 Pilot
MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS 1.75 Turns
Low end a tiny rich. Close to 1/8 throttle Idle drops when blipping it's rich. The weather is really hot, so expecting it to do that.
Middle Range Performs awesome
WOT works fine, no coolant/Engine light overheat on/flash. Wondering if installing a DJ116/Keihin 122.5 Main jet would make any performance gains? Might try it.
Still need to pull out Spark plugs to inspect to see if the DJ114/Keihin 120 main jet are running right.

UPDATE
24C/75F
Installed Dynojet springs.
WOT, Red Line, acceleration is quicker on highway.
City riding not so good. When Rolling off throttle, bike seems takes longer to drop RPMS when slowing down. Have to brake eariler. The Dynojet springs are weaker than stock, which makes the Carb sliders slower to go down. Will try for a while to see if my riding improves. If not, I will put stock springs back in.

Last futzed with by redsnapper; July 12th, 2016 at 10:20 PM. Reason: More Jet info

Old June 6th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #133
joehendo
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Aprilia Caponord, 2009 Kawi Ninja 250r

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N POD Filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Dan Moto GP Canister

BRAND OF JET KIT? 6Sigma

MAIN JET: 110 Keihin

PILOT Jet: 40

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: OEM needles with one washer.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5 turns out.

ELEVATION: 200-800 feet.

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: All Stock air box equipment removed. 6Sigma recommended 112.5 jets with two washers under the needles and an auxiliary hole drilled in the vacuum valve (#35) I think? Tiny drill bit that was included with kit. Anyway, the bike felt fat/rich and didn't start making great power until 10K (this is a track bike BTW). It had no mid-range, so I jetted down to 110's, removed a washer from the needles and cut one coil off the vacuum valve spring (also supposed to improve throttle response). It's a whole new bike...throttle response is crisp, wheelies in second and third gear, and takes off like a rocket when she hits 7K. Power is on through the whole rev range.
joehendo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #134
Palero
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk GT 1989 EX250F (Died from left-turning car) 2011 EX250J (Died from SAME left-turning car)

YEAR: 2007 ( PreGen 250F EX250F )

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removal and K&N R-0990

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: OEM Exhaust

JET KIT OR STOCK? Spare Jets

BRAND OF JET KIT? FACTORYPRO FACTORY PRO

MAIN JET: 108 Factory Pro / Keihin (I'm told sizing is identical)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Stock needles with 5 Factory Pro washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3.75

ELEVATION: 300ft to 500 ft

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: No 110 FactoryPro/Keihin available to try. Bike requires little choke in Southern California 75 - 90 degree Fahrenheit weather. Bike would not start with 112 jet.
Pilot left at size 38. Size 40 pilot was too rich-- bike would idle at 0 turns on mixture screw with 40s.
Mixture set via highest idle + 1/8 richer method

Old June 13th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #135
Palero
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk GT 1989 EX250F (Died from left-turning car) 2011 EX250J (Died from SAME left-turning car)

YEAR: 2007 ( PreGen 250F EX250F )

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox removal and K&N R-0990

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Yoshimura R&D GP270SSC Full Exhaust (no baffles)

JET KIT OR STOCK? Spare Jets

BRAND OF JET KIT? FACTORYPRO FACTORY PRO

MAIN JET: 115 Factory Pro / Keihin (I'm told sizing is identical)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Stock needles with 5 Factory Pro washers

PILOT JET: 40

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5

ELEVATION: 300ft to 500 ft

I should be using a 118 main and 45 pilot. Ordered jets from Jets R Us June 4. Still waiting on ETA & shipping confirmation.
Mixture set via highest idle + 1/8 richer method

Old July 9th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #136
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox Removed, added 0990 K&N Pod.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: TYGA FULL EXHAUST

JET KIT OR STOCK? Sigma Jet Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? Sigma

MAIN JET: 112.5'

Pilot JET: 40

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 2 spacers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5 turns

ELEVATION: 800 ft above

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: I am getting backfiring when decelerating but it doesn't bother me..... otherwise the jet kit was 110% worth my money because its performance is remarkable.

Old July 24th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #137
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

YEAR: 2008

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Snorkel removed and K&N air filter.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: MMG full stainless steel

JET KIT OR STOCK?: Jet Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT: Sigma 6 Jet Kit

MAIN JET: 102.5

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Stock needles shimmed with 2 washers each

MIXTURE SCREW SETTING: 2.5 turns out for both

ELEVATION: 700-1200ft

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKES JETTING SETUP: Initially I thought the 102.5 mains still made the bike feel and sound lean. Today after work I installed the 107.5 mains only to find that my entire top end sputtered to the redline. Once I re-installed the 102.5 mains and rode her around enough she went back to normal. The pilot jets were perfect and overall the idle is spot on (1500rpm), there is more power in the mid-range and top end, and throttle response has improved.

Further tuning to possibly include: Kleen Air Delete, shimming needles further, drilling the carb slides, clipping the carbs springs, maybe a wideband 02 if I feel froggy enough.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #138
arnvc
ninjette.org member

Name: ar

Motorcycle(s): ex250

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Snorkel removed and K&N air filter.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: mmg header, ninja 300 muffler

JET KIT OR STOCK?: stock

Timing : 5* advance key, factory pro

MAIN JET: 98

PILOT JET: 38

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Stock needles shimmed with 1 washer .014" each carb

MIXTURE SCREW SETTING: 2.5 turns out for both

ELEVATION: sea level to 8000 ft
misc ran lots of sprockets, settled at 15/41 for commuting. went 14/41 for week end rides. mpg's aboot the same , low 60s . not into top end runs . installed a manual switch to turn on the fan on xtra hot days or big hill climbs. daytona temp gauge helped check water temps. mmg exhaust way to loud. 87 octane was 1st choice.
arnvc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #139
arnvc
ninjette.org member

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: k+n r 0990 air fplter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: mmg header, ninja 300 muffler

JET KIT OR STOCK?:

MAIN JET: 108

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Stock needles shimmed with 1 washer .014" each carb

MIXTURE SCREW SETTING: 2.0turns out for both

ELEVATION: sea level to 8000 ft
misc : installed a stock ninja 300 engine into 250 chassis. 250 carbs , flywheel ,and ignition case. sprockets 15/41 . tomorrow will be a real test ride. might have to go 14/41 to get a feel for jetting . should be fun

Old December 25th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #140
arnvc
ninjette.org member

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: k+n r 0990 air filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: mmg header, muffler varies

JET KIT OR STOCK?:

MAIN JET: 127 (approx .050 i.d.)

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Stock needles shimmed with 2 .023" washers each carb

MIXTURE SCREW SETTING: 3.0turns out

ELEVATION: 1000 / 1500 ft
misc : installed a stock ninja 300 engine into 250 chassis. 250 carbs , flywheel ,and ignition case. sprockets 14/41 . jetting is a bit rich, going to jet closer after I pick which muffler will be used. Might try #42 pilot. fitting different mufflers .ninja 300 muffler is nice and quite, runs (?)good. A jardine Yamaha fj 600 slip on kinda loud runs better. have a knock off ?? 12" can oval can on the way.

Old March 10th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #141
smokinsingle
L8APEX

Name: CRA#33 EXPERT

Motorcycle(s): 07 KTM 950SMR, 06 KTM 450SMR, 99 KTM 300MXC, 00 Derbi GPR 50, 09 Ninja 250 racebike, race with www.cra-mn.org!

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Backfire screen removed, race rules require snorkel

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P high flow race header w/ 18" can

MAIN JET: 95 OEM

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Factory Pro Needle 3rd pos.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2.5

ELEVATION:0-1200

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: I run 98 mains below 60F

Old June 6th, 2017, 03:47 AM   #142
EscoVictorious
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Victor

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

First off I just wanted to say this site is amazing and thank you for everyone's input. I have a 09 250r and have been riding about 3 years and always went into this site for tips and only recently, finally signed up.

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: air box removed, kleen air removed, K&N R-0990 Filter, crank breather

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Delkovic full exhaust

BRAND OF JET KIT? Dyno Jet

MAIN JET: 112

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: pos 3, 2 washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3 3/4 turns out from bottom

ELEVATION: sea level to 370 m/1214 ft.

Ran stock jets with full system and BMC air filters for about a week while waiting for my dyno jet and was already getting backfires and gunshots almost every decel (geared decel, and clutch in decel). when the jet kit came in i removed the air box and installed the k&n 0990 filter and kleen air system and instead of going to the 110 4th pos (kit didn't come with it) i opted for the 112 (it was either 108 or 112) but put it on pos 3 instead compensate for it being a jet higher. seems to have a really good effect, it has a constant pull all the way to red line at 6th gear with a 16 sprocket. seems to have eliminated the decel backfire and gunshots considerably. no choke needed at all. the only backfires i get are few and far between and very quiet (one much louder rarely), only during geared decel between 7-11k rpm (if i hit the clutch and let it decel without being in a gear it's completely fine with no back firing). this also only hapens when im riding it hard and for a long period, im thinking it might be running rich and the sound im hearing is afterfire. anyone having the same problem or am i still running lean and should add a washer/go a pin pos up??

also what is the difference in sound of rich vs lean?
EscoVictorious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #143
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

Richer sounds a bit like a moist/wet fart.

This video might help

https://youtu.be/25UTCijPHjg

My friend had the same problem with a full exhaust. It ran great and his power was smooth. Raising the needle 1 more notch made it ran poor. He ended under raising the needle with a washer. So it was higher but not as high as adjusting it with the clip.

He's running a #40 Pilot Jet
Main Jet is Dyno Jet 115??
Exhaust is Full but don't remember which one.

Last futzed with by redsnapper; June 6th, 2017 at 07:53 AM.

Old June 9th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #144
snyderkj
ninjette.org newbie

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): '12 250r

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Airbox delete, K&N R-0990 Filter, UNI filter crank breather, stock air runners.

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Yoshimura Race TRS Slip-On with Single polished stainless steel turn-down tip

BRAND OF JET KIT? Factory Pro CRB-K04-3.0 Kit Stage 3

MAIN JET: #112

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Clip on 3rd position of needle with 3 washers on top and an extra clip on the 1st position to sandwich the washers in between the top clip and the middle clip (NO washers below clip)

FLOAT HEIGHT: Stock (Plan on adjusting this once I get a good feel for the bike)

PILOT JET: #40

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: Fuel screws 2.5 turns out.

ELEVATION: sea level to 3000 ft.

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: Highly recommend the Factory Pro kit over the dynojet kit. Hardest part of tuning these carbs is deleting the airbox.

Using stock air runners on the carbs shoved into the R-0990 K&N airfilter.

Overtighten the drain bolts on the Carb bowls.

Running 18T/57T sprockets with 134 chain length from Spears Racing Enterprises.

Bike pulls now. I was running Slip-on only with zero other mods, and bike not only felt like it lost a chunk of its midrange and top end, but, it popped and crackled every decel. Running bike, erring on the rich side now, has virtually no back firing any more.
snyderkj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #145
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
2008 250r
carb:keihin 100's
uni filter snorkel removed
needles stock 3 washers shimmed
air mixture 3 ish elevation 330 ft
stock header with ali cheapo slip on
bench carb sync per ghostt. pulls hard to redline. tried 2 washers but lean in mid range. all plastic back on and will check fuel mileage. all carb screws replaced with stainless m4 socket head. internal fuel filter inline canned, replaced with 5/16 fuel line and visual fuel filter. kleen air system canned/removed>plugged

Old August 27th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #146
SlowNsteady
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N R-0990

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P full exhaust

JET KIT OR STOCK? Dynojet Stage 2

MAIN JET: Dynojet 110

PILOT JET: OEM 38

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Dynojet, 3rd slot, one washer

ELEVATION: 0 - 1,000+ft (California coast)

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: KLEEN removed, PMC block off plate installed

As of this writing the idle is hanging - any help is appreciated!

Old August 27th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #147
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowNsteady View Post

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: K&N R-0990

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P full exhaust

JET KIT OR STOCK? Dynojet Stage 2

MAIN JET: Dynojet 110

PILOT JET: OEM 38

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Dynojet, 3rd slot, one washer

ELEVATION: 0 - 1,000+ft (California coast)

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: KLEEN removed, PMC block off plate installed

As of this writing the idle is hanging - any help is appreciated!
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223984

read ghostt quickie pilot screw adjustment below conan pic

Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:07 AM   #148
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
2008 250r
carb:keihin 100's
uni filter snorkel removed
needles stock 3 washers shimmed
air mixture 3 ish elevation 330 ft
stock header with ali cheapo slip on
bench carb sync per ghostt. pulls hard to redline. tried 2 washers but lean in mid range. all plastic back on and will check fuel mileage. all carb screws replaced with stainless m4 socket head. internal fuel filter inline canned, replaced with 5/16 fuel line and visual fuel filter. kleen air system canned/removed>plugged
updates airbox removed, k/n pod filter,stick coils added, new plugs gapped to .030(nippondenso iridiums)pods-with stock airbox runners(v stacks coming)
factory pro jet started with 110’s
clip 3rd from top
40 pilot jets
not pulling cleaning on top end starts around 10,500
tried 112’s and 115’s same effect.
did valve check and reset floats to 15.5 mm
(had to reshim a couple of exhaust valves)
put 110’s and retried. ran better on top end but still struggling. this is where i disagree with factory pro on setting mains first.
put needles to notch 4 and leaned out pilot circuit.
ran cleanly to 13000, slight hesitation but nothing like it was. i did not realize the needle circuit has significant overlap. will button it up and ride to check fuel mileage and drivability.

Last futzed with by maverick9611; October 23rd, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #149
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
slight hesitation @11-13 will try 112 mains.
ran much better with 112's pull clean and hard. had to readjust pilots after 112 installation.

Old December 15th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #150
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
another update. tried 38 pilots. started at 3 ended up into the 4's. i put back in the 40's and went down to to 110 on the mains.

Old December 20th, 2017, 06:14 AM   #151
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
the bike likes 40’s much better. still running position 4 on needles and back on 110’s. very crisp on top end. now that i tune realizing power curve drops off around 12,000. lowered shift points to 10,500 to 11,000.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 02:26 AM   #152
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
gonna try 108's. needles leave at notch4, gonna try the carb slide drill mod

Old April 21st, 2018, 02:42 AM   #153
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
108's working great. factory pro should include this jet size in their kit. still slight hesitation on top. closed gap on plugs.
needles still on notch 4 with 40 pilots on the bottom, throttle response much better after drilling hole on slide. will be switching to uni 6" pods hooking straight to carbs. been using k/n hooked to airbox manifold to improve low end.
more to come...

Old May 27th, 2018, 02:55 AM   #154
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
turning the pod world upside down

been working closely with member dannoxyz on figuring out the exploited ninja's stumbling on top end. frankly it wouldn't pull hard after 11k. naturally i blamed everything else first. i even closed gap on plugs after i had opened them up after stick coil mod.problem is dyno jet and factory pro are giving jet kits that are quite rich. factory pro gives 110,112,115 mains.(tried them all) these are are way to big! to make maximum power, lean mains need to be installed!with danno’s as a guide, the exploited ninja with uni 6”pods is now skirting near stock main jets! i’ve tried 108’s, (moved to notch 3 on needles)102’s,100’s and now heading towards 98’s. keep in mind elevation will factor in too. augusta, ga is 132’ above sea level. exploited finally started to come alive at 102's. 100 mains was even better. it pulled extremely hard on the top end. 98's going in today. 98 mains with pods?wtf? ya i'm freakin but dannoxyz always seems to explain in laymans terms. more to come

Last futzed with by maverick9611; July 7th, 2018 at 05:10 AM.
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 11:19 AM   #155
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
fell on its face with 98's. going back up to 100's.
mains are set. going back to clip 4 on needles.

Old May 27th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #156
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Due to different diameters, lengths and taper of needles, it may be helpful to measure actual dimensions of various ones on market. Then we can come up with an equivalence table. Such as 1-washer factory = 2nd clip position DynoJet = 3rd clip position Factory Pro, etc.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 03:48 PM   #157
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
hit the reset button

still busting up 9-11000.
needles are on groove 4.
shimmed 1 washer, slight change but mid-range to main transition very erratic.
shimmed again total 2 washers. slight change but same mid range stumbling.
dannoxyz recommends trying stock needles to with 2 or 3 shims.
more to come. the profile on factory pro needles is obviously not working. now the big question. it just can't be me, has anybody else had these issues?

Old May 31st, 2018, 04:32 AM   #158
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
tried 3 washers stock needles. midrange transition to main still not smooth. dannoxyz recommendation is try 1 washer.
1 washer tried. super lean, almost unrideable.
after more consulting we agreed to try 5 washers.
the exploited ninja finally has a decent set up. mids to mains all smoothed out.
still tuning on 40’s, might go back to 38’s.
yes you heard it 100 mains on a pod bike!
stock needles with 5 washers
pilots almost there. been running bout 40 mpg. will update soon

Old June 1st, 2018, 05:22 PM   #159
subxero
dirty boy

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
tried 3 washers stock needles. midrange transition to main still not smooth. dannoxyz recommendation is try 1 washer.
1 washer tried. super lean, almost unrideable.
after more consulting we agreed to try 5 washers.
the exploited ninja finally has a decent set up. mids to mains all smoothed out.
still tuning on 40’s, might go back to 38’s.
yes you heard it 100 mains on a pod bike!
stock needles with 5 washers
pilots almost there. been running bout 40 mpg. will update soon
the stock needles were never designed to be shimmed like other needles work with clips. It obviously can be done to help find the sweet spot but once you get over 3 shims the needles do not work well throughout the throttle range.

FP vs stock needles

So you are running pods, are to directly on the carbs or using the intake boot?

You still have the stock pipe and a slip on, that might explain why you are down so low on the main. Assume you have the clean air system removed with block off plate as well.

My bike with pods, full race exhaust ran super well through the throttle range with the FP needles and 108 mains. Your temps seem pretty high compared to what i experience but you are down near sea level so shouldn't be that crazy different.

With that being said, it might not be that strange to be down to 100 mains. It's hard to give advice without riding the bike but you need to be jetting based on how the bike feels at specific throttle positions, obviously there is some cross over between the circuits but there are also several other things that effect the complete jetting of a carb other than just the needle, needle position and slow and main jets. For whatever reason maybe the FP needle is just not working for you, unfortunately there is not a huge data base of needles to tell you where to go from the FP needle as that is what it is and how they make money.

With dirt bikes it is much easier to buy and try different needles, literally a chart of 40+ different needles and what they effect and how.

My advice is put the needle in a neutral position and figure out the WOT jetting. Don't touch the needle until you find a main jet that pulls the entire rev range at WOT. Don't expect a super linear pull (for a ninja250 anyway) the power should drop off a bit past 10k rpm Once you figure out the main, start working on your half throttle position and the transition to WOT.

At this point your main will at least be in a reasonable range, and it might go up or down 1 size as you adjust the needle leaner or richer as needed. change one thing at a time, it sucks but that is the best way to go about it.

If you can't get something that feels good everywhere you need a different needle or there is something going on with the engine, intake and or exhaust

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2018, 08:16 PM   #160
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
We go the top-end dialed in with 100 mains first. Up & down on either side wasn't as good. So that's done and locked in.

Problem with longer FP needles was it wasn't getting fully on the mains soon enough, caused stumbling in 9-11k range. Using shorter stock needles got on full mains sooner and took care of that little stumble.

Now the bottom-end's too rich, gotta work on pilot-screws or even change back to 38s.

I still suspect there may be other issues too. Suggested he swap complete bone-stock carbs over from green bike that's working flawlessly perfect.

Might even send my wideband with on-board datalogging memory to really sniff out problem. Gotta build up harness for quick install on bike instead of auto.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote