ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 8th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #1
MisterLu
ninjette.org member

Name: Quang Lu

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Motor struggles when I give it throttle

My first bike ever so I don't know much about maintenance on a motorcycle, but I have worked on cars so mechanically. It's nothing new to me. Anyways, I got my 2008 ninja with 9,100 miles on it. The previous owner said he didn't do anything to the bike as far as maintenance or mods.

When I took it home. I changed out the oil and oil filter, cleaned out the air filter and coated it with motor oil. I poured Carburator cleaner into the tank. I'm assuming the guy never did a valve adjustment so I'm getting around to doing that this week.

Anyways, the bike starts up without any choke and idles at 1,300-1,500 rpms and once it's warmed up I give it full throttle and it struggles as if I'm flooding the motor. Is there any reason to why it's doing that, that is maintenance related?

Oh and side note, when I went to drain the old oil, there was metal shavings in the oil, not a lot, but there was some metal shavings. I know in cars thats a really bad sign, but is this normal?
MisterLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

You roll onto full throttle smoothly, or snap it to full throttle instantly? If the latter, you can get a small carbed engine to bog a bit.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLu View Post
.....I got my 2008 ninja with 9,100 miles on it. The previous owner said he didn't do anything to the bike as far as maintenance or mods.
Strike 1 of something potentially wrong.

Quote:
.....I poured Carburator cleaner into the tank. I'm assuming the guy never did a valve adjustment so I'm getting around to doing that this week.

How much cleaner and what kind?

Quote:
.....the bike starts up without any choke and idles at 1,300-1,500 rpms and once it's warmed up I give it full throttle and it struggles as if I'm flooding the motor. Is there any reason to why it's doing that, that is maintenance related?
Strike 2.

Quote:
.....when I went to drain the old oil, there was metal shavings in the oil, not a lot, but there was some metal shavings. I know in cars thats a really bad sign, but is this normal?
Strike 3.

And no it's not normal. You may what to inspect further into the metal shavings in your oil. Metal shavings usually means either you crank or something else is gone to shat.

Does the motor make any loud clacking sounds?

If so, check your oil screen, so you can rule out a crank bearing. For more info on this issue, see this thread. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ght=oil+screen
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #4
MisterLu
ninjette.org member

I snap it instantly, and it builds it's rpms pretty slowly. Is that normal for these kinds of motors?

Old July 8th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #5
MisterLu
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Strike 1 of something potentially wrong.

How much cleaner and what kind?

Strike 2.

Strike 3.

And no it's not normal. You may what to inspect further into the metal shavings in your oil. Metal shavings usually means either you crank or something else is gone to shat.

Does the motor make any loud clacking sounds?

If so, check your oil screen, so you can rule out a crank bearing. For more info on this issue, see this thread. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ght=oil+screen
to be honest, I can't remember what type of carb cleaner, but it was a carb cleaner from walmart that you mix with fuel to cleanout the carbs. My friend that owns a 250r poured roughly 4-5 ounces into a half tank of gas

Old July 8th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
I snap it instantly, and it builds it's rpms pretty slowly. Is that normal for these kinds of motors?
There is a natural lag, because the carbs are vacuum operated, (but it's like millisecond or two) other than that, the engine will respond nicely when you twist the throttle (not snap it), provided it's well tuned and nothing is wrong

Old July 8th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #7
MisterLu
ninjette.org member

okay, I'll record a video of the bike with the motor running. The motor sounds fine to me. No knocking, slaps or anything out of the ordinary.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by Alex; July 8th, 2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: fixed video link: only put the video ID itself between the tags, not the whole URL

Old July 8th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
okay, I'll record a video of the bike with the motor running. The motor sounds fine to me. No knocking, slaps or anything out of the ordinary.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Mine was behaving like that recently. I drained the fuel and added a can of Seafoam with fresh fuel but it still died even after allowing it to run for ages. Eventually, I cranked the idle speed until it was at the same threshold that would cause it to die from applying throttle. I left it right there, barely able to stay on, until the Seafoam and fresh gas flushed whatever it was out of the carbs several minutes later.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
I'd still investigate the metal shavings. Pay attention to what color they are. Check your chain for proper tension and a free rotating rear wheel.

Double check that you don't have too much oil on the air filter. Too much oil can cause breathing problems. As a matter of fact you may want to replace the air filter if it has not been replaced. Kawasaki recommends replacement @ 2 years.

You're also due for spark plug replacement.

Some good carb info;
How Constant Velocity Carburetors Work(see pages 14-20)