ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 10th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Jpr28610
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Raymond

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and a grom

Tacho and Fuel Guage.

Hey guys. I have an issue with my dash.

Couple months ago jumped started a ninja that was in storage in my shed for about 5 years.
Had to do a carby clean to get it started. Once I finally got it started, nothing on the dash was working. Only the lights were working. Then the tacho started going crazy, the needle jumping up and down. Bike was only in idle.

After a couple of weeks, I bought a new battery and after i let it run for about 15 mins the speedo starts to work and has worked every since.

The fuel guage will work once in a while and the tacho will sometimes work after riding for a while.

I have looked up other threads and tried changing the cdi. That did nothing. Then I changed the whole cluster. Everything worked good but the next day the fuel guage stop working. Tacho also starts working after about a minute or two after starting.

I am not sure if it had the problem before it was stored years ago. Only other mod is led front blinkers.

I have seen other people having the same problem with no definitive solutions.

Any help is appreciated.
Jpr28610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
To begin, it might be a good idea to measure your battery voltage while the engine is running and revved a little. Under certain conditions, a regulator can be damaged while jump starting. One way it can happen is if the vehicle supplying the jump start is running and has a battery voltage higher than the set point of your bike's regulator. Then the regulator, which is a shunt type, tries to shunt current to ground, and since there can easily be more current available through the jumper cables than the regulator can handle, it fails.

I don't expect this will solve all your problems, but it would be a good idea to eliminate a failed regulator as a possibility before you continue troubleshooting.

And welcome to the board, Raymond!
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Jpr28610
ninjette.org newbie

That makes sense. I will replace the regulator today and let you know how that goes.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. Really appreciated.

Old December 10th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Jpr28610
ninjette.org newbie

Btw what voltage should it be under load. How do I know if I have a failed regulator. I have one on hand already but just good to know.

Old December 10th, 2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I wasn't suggesting you immediately change your regulator, just check the battery voltage while the engine is running. With the engine revved a little, it should be somewhere in the range of 14-14.5 volts probably. If it's 12.5 or 16, for example, the regulator isn't doing its job.

Old December 10th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Jpr28610
ninjette.org newbie

I tested the battery under load and it was 10.5ish volts at around 3 to 4k rpm. But as I was testing it the fuel guage decided to start working.

Luckily I had a spare rectifier on hand so I swapped it over and now its reading 14v at the same rev range.

Everything works good now except that it still takes 1 to 2 mins for the tacho to work after starting it. Ill let you know how it goes and lets hope it stays like this.

Again, thanks for your help.

Old December 10th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You're certainly welcome. So the regulator was bad, interesting. At least that problem is fixed and you can move on to the next item.

Old December 11th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #8
ninjala
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I have similar problem with my 08 ninja tachometer and fuel gauge. When I started ignition, the tachometer and fuel gauge didn't work immediately, I had to use my hand to punch the dashboard to make the tachometer worked. The fuel gauge only worked after 2-5 minutes warmup.

Last week I changed the front tire. The tachometer problem is solved.
ninjala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjala View Post
I have similar problem with my 08 ninja tachometer and fuel gauge. When I started ignition, the tachometer and fuel gauge didn't work immediately, I had to use my hand to punch the dashboard to make the tachometer worked. The fuel gauge only worked after 2-5 minutes warmup.

Last week I changed the front tire. The tachometer problem is solved.
Sounds like a corroded wire or loose connector?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #10
Jpr28610
ninjette.org newbie

Just an update. Everything is working now after changing the regulator. The bike is even running better. It was struggling in 2nd gear before and idling really low ( close to stalling) for a bit after first starting but now its alot better.

The guages still dont work for a few minutes after first starting her and it doesnt run 100 percent but after those first few minutes, everything runs good. It doesnt bug me too much, I am quite happy with the bike now but does anyone have any suggestion what will cause this? Could it be bad stator? Or battery? (3 months old)

Cheers guys.

Old December 17th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

If the battery is at 14 volts with the engine running, there's nothing wrong with the stator. Does the headlight come on right away, or does it stay off until the instruments start working?

Old December 17th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #12
Jpr28610
ninjette.org newbie

Ill double check the voltage again later on. Headlight comes on normally.

Old December 18th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #13
EffaMoulton
ninjette.org member

Name: Ethan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE

Sometimes when I first start my 2010 250 the tachometer acts like it’s stuck for a couple seconds... kinda weird
EffaMoulton is offline   Reply With Quote