ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Bike lacking power on commute today.

This is my regular commute and I have noticed that the bike has more power on some days and less on others, which I believed to be temperature-related, but it's never been this bad and it isn't even really that cold.

Basically, my commute is almost all freeway driving and I usually hit 80-90 indicated easily (I often see it indicate 100-107... SHHH!). This time I could barely go past 70. It took a long time, but I did get to 75 on a flat area and 80+ going downhill. I usually get a lot of speed in anticipation of a steep incline for the last leg of my commute but I just couldn't do it and my speed dropped into the 50s on a 65MPH stretch.

My handling also felt a little weird. Scary actually. It's a cool (not cold) windy day and it felt like I couldn't counteract the wind... as if my rear tire were flat and affecting my ability to lean. Maybe I imagined it, but it felt like I was sitting closer to the ground too! I think I need to check my rear shock when I get the chance (just arrived at work; still at my desk).

There will be rain on the commute home tonight and when I return in the morning (yes, I only get 8hrs off between these shifts), so that's really concerning me.

I have had a slow coolant leak that wasn't a problem last I checked (many months to reach the "low" mark and just filled back a week ago) and I'm way over-due for my valve check. So I can rule it out or in, what does an engine feel like after the valves are damaged or the coolant suddenly leaks out?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Rear shock seems fine (compresses when I put weight on it and bounces back). Tire pressure feels fine (I'll see if I can find a gauge). Can't see the water level and can't check without taking the fairings off (typical and something I can't do at work). My break's over and I can't check much else until it's time to go home.

Old March 20th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Seems like a rash of power shortage/fussy behavior being reported; fair chance it's at least a little weather related. Would definitely check tire pressure when ya can; I definitely feel the ride get a little 'soggy' if I'm a few PSI under usual. Might have an ethanol-fouled main (or other) jet.

Haven't fubar'd valves (I think) so no direct-experience help there, but I think it'd be pretty significant. But in theory if your valves are far enough off it would definitely result in a performance change as the engine has too much or too little time to do what it should be doing (in-flow of fuel/air or exhausting). I wouldn't rule it out, but obviously easier to check the easy (or at least easier) stuff first.

I'd wager a significant coolant shortage would yield a seized engine, likely while in motion or immediately after a ride.

Old March 21st, 2011, 03:51 AM   #4
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 07 XL1200L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
My handling also felt a little weird. Scary actually. It's a cool (not cold) windy day and it felt like I couldn't counteract the wind...

...barely go past 70...
Although "barely go past 70" seems a bit excessive, the headwind makes a big difference on a small bike. Even with 15-20 mph wind, I see my Ninja running running 1,000 rpm higher than usual at my commuting speed. When I commute with my 1200cc, this doesn't happen even on a windy day. I just looked at San Diego weather from yesterday, and it was WINDY. "Weird" handling can come from wind as well.

As for the mechanical side, one thing you did not mention was the exhaust leak. I have had loss of power from it before. But that doesn't make your handling "weird". The valve problem shouldn't give you handling problem either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (40.5 KB, 3 views)
grandelatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I found that wind, hills and temperature can have a profound affect on how the ninja handles and performs. Wind is the worst.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I could've sworn that I updated the thread that night to say that it felt fine on the way home. It also felt fine on the way back (yes, 8hrs between shift) and on the way home again. The wind had died down but I got rained on significantly during all three later trips. Someone died on their motorcycle on SD freeways yesterday morning, so I probably should've taken a bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandelatte View Post
Although "barely go past 70" seems a bit excessive, the headwind makes a big difference on a small bike. Even with 15-20 mph wind, I see my Ninja running running 1,000 rpm higher than usual at my commuting speed. When I commute with my 1200cc, this doesn't happen even on a windy day. I just looked at San Diego weather from yesterday, and it was WINDY. "Weird" handling can come from wind as well.

As for the mechanical side, one thing you did not mention was the exhaust leak. I have had loss of power from it before. But that doesn't make your handling "weird". The valve problem shouldn't give you handling problem either.
I don't believe I have an exhaust leak. My engine sounds funny but I'm sure it's the over-due valves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
I found that wind, hills and temperature can have a profound affect on how the ninja handles and performs. Wind is the worst.
Yeah. The wind was from the side though. I guess it felt kind of weird that I was leaning into it to counter the effects and maintain my direction and the only thing my mind can make of it is "flat tire." I mean, I could feel the lean but no turn, which feels like the tire is no longer round.

It did remind me of the day I crossed New Mexico and Arizona with a headwind (I had to draft large vehicles to maintain 55MPH).

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #7
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

You will definately want to check/adjust your valve clearances as soon as possible. At N250RC they say time and time again all the weird and possibly damaging things that valves (out of adjustment) can cause. They will melt if severely neglected.
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Ninja250F View Post
You will definately want to check/adjust your valve clearances as soon as possible. At N250RC they say time and time again all the weird and possibly damaging things that valves (out of adjustment) can cause. They will melt if severely neglected.
I've been saving up for months but crap keeps happening.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM   #9
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 07 XL1200L

Quote:
...I could've sworn that I updated the thread that night to say that it felt fine on the way home. ...
yup, that's called tail wind.

Quote:
...Someone died on their motorcycle on SD freeways yesterday morning,
RIP rider...
grandelatte is offline   Reply With Quote