ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 10th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #1
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Lots of questions!

Incoming: wall of text

I guess this could be in the introduction forum, but I have a handful of tech (and other) questions also so here goes.

My girlfriend has a 96 ex250 vegetating in her parents front yard. She bought it a few years back and only rode it a handful of times before parking it. It's got about 8k on it from what I understand. Pretty clean, though it looks horrid (purple and teal like a rollerblade from 1996). Tried getting it to run last summer and didn't have much luck. We were able to bump start it in 1st or 2nd, at WOT and it would barely stay puttering. Then I think hitting the brake would stall it...

I guess I should clarify this now. I've always been a car guy, a cager if you will. And just about everything I've owned has been modern and fuel injected, aside from a couple honda atvs I've owned that were relatively maintenance free. So this will be my first bike and my first real experience with carbs.

Anyway, back to my story. I moved to the SF Bay Area from New York a couple years back. Since then I've basically been forced to put my car back to stock by the wonderful state of California. Now while the obvious choice would be to build a dedicated track car, it doesn't jive with my living situation at the moment so that's been moved to a back burner for a while.

What I am going to do though, is pick up this bike as a summer project to keep my hands, mind and wallet busy since CA won't let me have fun with my car anymore. I figure it's a 250 so it should be perfect to learn on. Plus it's older so I won't cry when I lay it down. And most importantly, it's free and it turns over!

My ultimate goal for the bike is basically function > form. Think naked, or streetfighter, or whatever the preferred nomenclature of 2011 is. Though anything I can do to make the bike less hideous, I will. I'm going to strip the plastics, gut the airbox and throw on some pods and a 2:1 exhaust (muzzy?) and some other stuff like shaving all the superfluous tabs and bracketry, and fabbing up a custom rack for my lunchbox since I'll mainly be using this to commute to and from work. Now come the questions!

What do I need to do to get this bike running after sitting for 3+ years?

What other things should I be replacing to make it reasonably reliable and safe? (tires, etc)

I was gonna grab a pair of Kenda k671s 100/90/16F 130/90/16R to make this thing road worthy. Are these still a good choice? When I called hattar to order, the service guy basically called them trash and said he wouldn't trust his life to them and recommended I buy the stock dunlops (o_O) which of course they had in stock... Seems like so far the cheapest place online is rockymountainatvmc.com at about $102 shipped for the pair. Anyone know a better deal?

The wheels, they are purple. Anyone in the area have a set of blacks they'll trade / let go for cheap? Or should I just get them powdercoated or paint them?

Where is the cheapest place online to get a muzzy exhaust? Or does anyone here have one for sale?

Ok thanks to everyone for looking and for any answers you can give me. I'll update as I go along with the teardown / build. Also - love the site. I discovered ninja250.org first and there's a ton of good info there, but the forum software I so horribly antiquated I almost can't be bothered to learn how to navigate it. >_<

Also, I typed this on my iPhone. So typos? Deal with it ha!
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #2
kkim

What do I need to do to get this bike running after sitting for 3+ years?
drain gas from tank, pull and clean carbs/jets. change oil/filter. buy new tires. make sure the rest of the maintenance as per the maintenance schedule is up to date.

What other things should I be replacing to make it reasonably reliable and safe? (tires, etc)

clean and lube all things that move and pivot so when you go to actuate them, making sure they return to the normal position and not stick in place. brake levers, clutch lever, control cables, chain, etc. rejet or shim needles in carbs when you clean them.

get an owners and service manual for your bike and read and use them.

The wheels, they are purple. Anyone in the area have a set of blacks they'll trade / let go for cheap? Or should I just get them powdercoated or paint them?
Where is the cheapest place online to get a muzzy exhaust? Or does anyone here have one for sale?
learn to ride a well maintained bike before worrying about cosmetics or hop ups. trust me, there's a lot to learn about riding a motorcycle during the first year or so.

take an MSF course and gear up... ATGATT

welcome to ninjette. you might want to post an intro thread in the new members section as well.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #3
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
get an owners and service manual for your bike and read and use them.

learn to ride a well maintained bike before worrying about cosmetics or hop ups. trust me, there's a lot to learn about riding a motorcycle during the first year or so.

take an MSF course and gear up... ATGATT

welcome to ninjette. you might want to post an intro thread in the new members section as well.
Thanks, kkim. FSM is at the top of the list. I was gonna see if I could find a free one online first. I'll also be gearing and taking the MSF course. I have rode before, this will just be the first bike I own. I'm not so much worried about hop-ups. I really have no interest in going fast on a bike, or trying to make the little 250 any faster than it is. I'm mainly taking this on as a project to keep myself busy and putt to and from work on (about an 8 mile ride over the Richmond bridge.) So as far as pods and exhaust go, it's really just to have something to do.

So any idea where I might find a muzzy on the cheap? Couldn't find anything on craigslist in a thousand mile radius :/

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #4
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Index

^^^^ will be your friend with everything you prob. need to do to the bike. No Idea about the muzzy. I'd flat black the rims until you can get around to getting them powder coated.

As far as tires go have a look here:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Tire_options_-_pregens

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #5
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

You'd be better off leaving the bike stock, thoroughly cleaning the carbs, putting on a set of the Kenda K671s (very good tires for the money btw). Definitely a good idea taking the MSF course, and getting a legitimate service/workshop manual either from eBay or ordering it directly from Kawasaki. You can check here for more ideas/info/suggestions whether it's for a new rider or repairing/maintaining the Ninja 250.
Tony

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #6
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Index

^^^^ will be your friend with everything you prob. need to do to the bike. No Idea about the muzzy. I'd flat black the rims until you can get around to getting them powder coated.

As far as tires go have a look here:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Tire_options_-_pregens
Thanks. I'll probably bring them to work and sandblast them then try the rattle can method, unless I can find a real cheap powdercoated I've here somewhere. Been through the FAQ and wikis pretty thoroughly. Never hurts to ask though since they can get out of date pretty quick.

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #7
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
You'd be better off leaving the bike stock, thoroughly cleaning the carbs, putting on a set of the Kenda K671s (very good tires for the money btw). Definitely a good idea taking the MSF course, and getting a legitimate service/workshop manual either from eBay or ordering it directly from Kawasaki. You can check here for more ideas/info/suggestions whether it's for a new rider or repairing/maintaining the Ninja 250.
Tony
You're probably right! But it's not in my nature to leave things alone for too long.

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #8
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

chuckle, yea I understand.
Tony

Old February 10th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #9
CynicalC

Hey does anyone know if a muzzy exhaust advertised as "01-07" will fit on a 96? I haven't seen this covered anywhere. I thought they were all the same from 88-07?

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Hey does anyone know if a muzzy exhaust advertised as "01-07" will fit on a 96? I haven't seen this covered anywhere. I thought they were all the same from 88-07?
I'm pretty sure that the exhaust only changed colors between '88 and '07 so it should be fine.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote