ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Notices

Old November 29th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #1
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Name: randy

Motorcycle(s): '74 Honda CB450K, '87 Ducati Paso750, '17 Kawasaki EX300

Flying freeway debris/Projectile penetration

Greetings all. Please allow me to show and tell. Well, in 30+ years of riding I've never suffered damage from aerial debris hitting my moto while riding, but yesterday a projectile was tossed in the air by the car in front of me in the fast lane on the 880N in Berzerkely CA. I was unhurt and kept riding to my destination, but my center left hand side cowling is toast. Kawasaki Part #5507-5287-45L is US$447. I filed a claim with Geico ($200) deductible. I figure this ABS plastic cowling is not so strong or flexible to resist much contact with anything at high speed and I wonder if any in our community has suffered this type of incident. I decided to purchase a cheap black 17 piece fairing kit off eBay and substitute the inexpensive set for the pricey clothes she's currently wearing, saving those for when she's vintage and ready for a refurbish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Damage Cowling CNT-LF-F- EBONY 1.jpg (105.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Damage Cowling CNT-LF-F- EBONY 2.jpg (109.4 KB, 19 views)
randycastell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
I hit a traffic cone when I went off the edge of the track one time and it cracked the chin fairing but didn't break any chunks out, so I just glued it back together with ABS glue.

Old November 29th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #3
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
WOW!!! I go by there quite often, better watch it! CalTrans has really slacked off their street-sweeping.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #4
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
The worst I've had is on 880N near the Oakland Broadway exit, but thankfully it was while I was in a car. The pickup in front of me kicked up a piece of rebar from the road and embedded itself in the the front bumper. I don't want to imagine what could have happened if I had been hit with that while riding.

Old November 29th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Scary!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2017, 06:15 AM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
File a suit against the highway department, that **** could kill you.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #7
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I've always thought about it, never really been hit by much too substantial though

Old November 30th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
one of my friends got new set of wheels for his car. Hit some gruesome potholes in S.F. Had to fill out A LOT of paperwork, but at least there's procedure in place for this.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Thank you so much for your thoughts and kindness. Please allow me to carry on: I met the insurance adjuster yesterday afternoon. He agreed to pay the damages less my $200 ductable. I raced to East Bay Motorsports and ordered the part. $603. with tax. Insurance man sent the check to E.B.M. this morning.Part is in LA, should arrive end of next week/early next.

Today, I made a quick fix just to stabilize the cowl with a couple strips of 1"x14gauge aluminum and some rivets. Submitted for your review. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2071.jpg (66.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2072.jpg (144.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2074.jpg (184.6 KB, 3 views)

Old December 1st, 2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by randycastell View Post
Greetings all. Please allow me to show and tell. Well, in 30+ years of riding I've never suffered damage from aerial debris hitting my moto while riding, but yesterday a projectile was tossed in the air by the car in front of me in the fast lane on the 880N in Berzerkely CA. I was unhurt and kept riding to my destination, but my center left hand side cowling is toast. Kawasaki Part #5507-5287-45L is US$447. I filed a claim with Geico ($200) deductible. I figure this ABS plastic cowling is not so strong or flexible to resist much contact with anything at high speed and I wonder if any in our community has suffered this type of incident. I decided to purchase a cheap black 17 piece fairing kit off eBay and substitute the inexpensive set for the pricey clothes she's currently wearing, saving those for when she's vintage and ready for a refurbish.
A few years back I was traveling East on Route 80 in New Jersey in an itty biity Nissan Sentra. I was in the middle of the three lanes. A tractor trailer traveling in front of me about 10-12 car lengths tossed the tread off of one of his recapped tires. The tire carcass was airborne at about 25-30 feet in the air and appeared to be headed right for my windshield. My right hand lane was open and I moved into it. Fortunately the tire carcass hit the guardrail on the left side of the fast lane. It was only a close call but could have been a disaster. Things could have been different. It probably would have killed me on my bike.

Bill

Old December 8th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #11
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Greetings all, thank you so much for your comments,suggestions and support. My stock replacement faring has arrived at the dealer. I'm on my way to pick up.

X-Mas came early this past Tuesday in the form of the Tremendous faring kit from Jhina. :-) The US$280 kit came with a very sweet black double bubble wind screen included free of charge and heat shield nicely applied to the lower cowling (chin spoiler) pieces The gloss black paint and clear coat looks like a very good quality finish. No defects or runs upon close inspection. Just one broken tab where an o-ring gets placed: the most vulnerable tab at the nosing of the upper front cowl between the headlights. No problem 'cuz I glued it back that day.

I am gonna take off all her W.T.E. clothing, tuck that pretty wedding dress into a box and truss her up in the slutty shiny number. I'll lay white Princeton Tiger stickers on the sides and white Kawasaki stickers on the chin spoiler/lower cowling. What a toy she is. Very practical as well. Don't be fooled by looks. :-) I'll post pictures after the conversion. Thank you again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg INinjette's new clothes.jpg (113.7 KB, 8 views)

Old December 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
A few years back I was traveling East on Route 80 in New Jersey in an itty biity Nissan Sentra. I was in the middle of the three lanes. A tractor trailer traveling in front of me about 10-12 car lengths tossed the tread off of one of his recapped tires. The tire carcass was airborne at about 25-30 feet in the air and appeared to be headed right for my windshield. My right hand lane was open and I moved into it. Fortunately the tire carcass hit the guardrail on the left side of the fast lane. It was only a close call but could have been a disaster. Things could have been different. It probably would have killed me on my bike.

Bill
Awesome luck you had there. Projectile debris, isn't something to be messing around with if it can be avoided. Kinetic energy is a killer... literally! Take any given mass and speed it up enough and it can equal the power of a nuclear device. On the flip side of that is what us bikers have to worry about often enough every day, aka for a given mass, a velocity coming to a very dramatic reduction. That is going from 100mph to 0mph in an instant. Or in layman's terms, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end. I believe there is a Mythbusters episode (linked here somewhere iirc) that shows a tire tread impact to a human. I also remember seeing a piece of debris hitting a track rider and knocking him out cold, causing a down. It's worthy of your time to watch either as a possible preventative action on your part. As riders, one of our main goals while riding is to have "plan b or an escape route on tap." Now we just need the reaction and speed of Superman to avoid such things. lol

Good luck out there, glad you got some new plastics and stay safe as possible.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Awesome luck you had there. Projectile debris, isn't something to be messing around with if it can be avoided. Kinetic energy is a killer... literally! Take any given mass and speed it up enough and it can equal the power of a nuclear device. On the flip side of that is what us bikers have to worry about often enough every day, aka for a given mass, a velocity coming to a very dramatic reduction. That is going from 100mph to 0mph in an instant. Or in layman's terms, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end. I believe there is a Mythbusters episode (linked here somewhere iirc) that shows a tire tread impact to a human. I also remember seeing a piece of debris hitting a track rider and knocking him out cold, causing a down. It's worthy of your time to watch either as a possible preventative action on your part. As riders, one of our main goals while riding is to have "plan b or an escape route on tap." Now we just need the reaction and speed of Superman to avoid such things. lol

Good luck out there, glad you got some new plastics and stay safe as possible.
To this day I WILL NOT travel tucked-in behind a tractor trailer truck. Nearly all of them run recap tires.

Bill

Old December 8th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #14
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
To this day I WILL NOT travel tucked-in behind a tractor trailer truck. Nearly all of them run recap tires.

Bill
Sounds reasonable. Besides, it's turbulent back there!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #15
randycastell
ninjette.org member

Greeting to everyone. I thank you for the opportunity to post one more follow up regarding the conclusion of my chance meeting with flying freeway debris.

I've done what I set out to do upon settlement with Geico: I've tucked away all the W.T.E. farings and cowls, switching them over for the all gloss black kit from Jhina. Results are pleasing. Pictures to follow.

What I'd like to mention is that I patiently polished all the pieces with carnuba paste wax before I began deconstruction and reassembly. 4 hours. The removal and install took 8 hours. Over 75 fasteners for the 15 pieces I exchanged. Really a bit complicated. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2158.jpg (152.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2163.jpg (170.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2165.jpg (181.8 KB, 7 views)

Old December 13th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
nice!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #17
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Looks great. I have no idea what half of your posts are referring to but the bike came out nice ����
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote