ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 27th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #1
drewsley
ninjette.org member

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 89 Ninja 250

valve cover gasket

Sooooooo, just adjusted the ole valves, went to put it back together, broke a valve cover bolt off yayyyyyyyy. But that problem is solved. My issue, the black gasket with the half moons that attaches to the top of the motor, is fine, was glued back on after the previous owner did a whole bunch of motor work, my question is what glue or silicone should I use to reattach it and make sure it's sealed. Next, the cover itself has a groove that a gasket was in when I took it apart which contained a white gasket, was actually attached to the black one but was on terribad condition. I can't seem to find a part number or any type of information on that gasket. Does anyone know where or how I can locate a place to purchase that said gasket. Or do I have to order a new black gasket and it come with it? No I do not want to use a silicone gasket maker to make that, I do things right the first time so I dont have to address this issue a second time because I was rushing. Plus if rather not have to worry about oil leaks.
drewsley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Im using ultra black rtv. You can also use the recommended one in the manual, but its super pricy from dealers. Its the same thing as threebond. Or honda bond, kawa bond...etc.

The second gasket. Are you sure its a gasket...my zx only had the black one with the "half moons".

Old July 27th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #3
drewsley
ninjette.org member

If it wasn't a gasket it was something that went up into that groove around the valve cover that is no longer attached to the gasket. A good 5 inches on the right side of the motor peeled off inside the cover groove while the rest was what seemed to be attached to the black half moon gasket

Old July 27th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Kinda sounds like a sealant or rtv

Old July 27th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #5
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16

Old July 27th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #6
drewsley
ninjette.org member

I thought that at first, but there was no excess residue, or mess, and it fit perfectly in the groove. Unless this guy pin stripes on the side lol, it was almost too perfect to be some type of sealent or gasket maker. Well with all this said, do I need any type of sealent on the top of the gasket or can I just put the valve cover on?

Old July 27th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I'd check your service manual. But no I don't think so. The manual usually points everything out in detail.

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:12 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I remember clearly that the dried gasket we scraped off looked like a crisp, well-defined, manufactured rubber gasket, even though it had a previous service at a dealer. The service manual tells you to use a high temperature RTV liquid gasket maker, so don't shy away.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:59 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

RTV sealant/gasket maker is used on the side where the halfmoon parts of the gasket goes. I also put a small amount around where the gasket wraps around the coolant pipe just incase the pipe leaks and coolant doesn't get into the head.

Half moon area is due to how the head was machined for the camshafts, I think.