ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #1
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Review of ForceField Pro Sub-4 Back Protector (Very Picture Heavy!)

We all know the back protectors in most jackets are crap. I wanted something that I could use with any jacket without having to get a new protector each time. I thought about going a cheaper route as this was like $180.00 but after reading so many good things I chose to take the plunge and had very high expectations.

read more about it here
http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcef..._PRO_SUB_4.htm

The protector came nicely packaged and upon unwrapping and inspection appeared to be of very high quality. Stitching looked good, straps seem like they will last, high quality velcro and nice detailing. The back protector has a velcro strip on the back so you can take out the actual armor and wash the cover, a very nice feature. Before I put it on I took the armor out to inspect it and all I have to say is WOW! It is CE 2 rated and seems like it would do a great job protecting the spine. There are actually 2 pieces held together by some sort of strong adhesive. One is a foam layer and another is a harder plastic feeling piece. This piece feels very sturdy. The foam also fees very thick. It has properties of that temper foam, except much harder. I can push my finger into it and the foam will indent and rise back up. The two layers together seem to form exceptional protection. The foam piece is the one that faces your back.

Next I messed with the straps. They are easy to adjust and very simple. Move them up to tighten and down to loosen. After checking it out, taking it apart and putting it back together I finally put it on. This is the first back protector I've ever owned or worn so I can't compare it to the comfort levels of other protectors but it feels very comfortable. The protector molds and forms to the shape and curves of your back. It feels light, breathable, and secure.

The protector secures with the shoulder straps, a main velcro strap that goes across the waist and a smaller stretchy velcro pad that attaches to the main strap. This makes the protector highly adjustable.

The protector does a superb job of covering the spine and my shoulder blades, all the way down to my tail bone, which I really like. It does add noticeable bulk if you have a tighter fitting jacket and it looks a little funny at first (i thought of a hunch back at first ) but it's not so bad. Easily over looked for the protection.

See pictures for details of everything explained above. I took a couple rides with it already. It's gettin late so I will finish part 2 tomorrow explaining how I like it actually riding the bike, the most important part!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1132.JPG (111.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1133.JPG (99.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1134.JPG (50.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1135.JPG (60.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1137.JPG (103.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1142.JPG (44.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1143.JPG (121.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1144.JPG (65.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1145.JPG (86.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1150.JPG (38.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1151.JPG (44.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1153.JPG (126.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1155.JPG (35.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1156.JPG (43.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1159.JPG (63.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1160.JPG (63.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1173.JPG (92.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1175.JPG (82.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1176.JPG (70.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1177.JPG (85.1 KB, 6 views)

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #2
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Hope yall dont mind the pics, I tried to get a good view for you guys to see how the fit is. Sorry for the butt shot... tryin to show the awesome tail bone protection

You can notice the extra bulk with the jacket pics. Also included some pictures with my lid on. The protector creates to range of motion issues with a helmet on. It seems to fit perfectly with a helmet on. Where the protector ends at the base of the neck is where the helmet picks up the protection of the rest of the neck and head, leaving no gap in protection. The top of the protector is also kind of curved in to allow you to "look to the sky" if need be, even with a full face helmet on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1177.JPG (85.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1178.JPG (73.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1181.JPG (41.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1185.JPG (87.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1188.JPG (76.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1189.JPG (88.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1191.JPG (81.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1192.JPG (79.9 KB, 4 views)

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #3
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Awesome, great to see the pics and your initial thoughts on it.

Old July 27th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Good review It's nice seeing people investing more on protection vs farkles

on the side note, nice jacket you have there, I got mine in white for more visibility.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #5
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Nice, I want to get something similar to wear under my ICON and A* leather, niether compares to what is in my suit. This is definitely a good find.

BTW...I was looking at the pics and was wondering why your place looked like a barracks room. I looked at your location and sure enough....wierd how you can pick up on that stuff. Myer?
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #6
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Good review It's nice seeing people investing more on protection vs farkles

on the side note, nice jacket you have there, I got mine in white for more visibility.
Yup, I've decided to put a hault on the bike mods/farkles and spend the money on quality gear instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
BTW...I was looking at the pics and was wondering why your place looked like a barracks room. I looked at your location and sure enough....wierd how you can pick up on that stuff. Myer?
Very close! I'm actually at Joint Base Anacostia (formerly Bolling AFB), on the Navy side. I used to be at Fort Myer almost everyday though doing ceremonies at Arlington.

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #7
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I guess it was a shot in the dark, there are about 2 million posts in the area between all of the services. I used to live in Silver Spring and worked both Walter Reed and NNMC. Being able to work in the joint environment was the most fun I ever had in my career and you can't beat the DC area...except in traffic.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #8
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
I guess it was a shot in the dark, there are about 2 million posts in the area between all of the services. I used to live in Silver Spring and worked both Walter Reed and NNMC. Being able to work in the joint environment was the most fun I ever had in my career and you can't beat the DC area...except in traffic.
Nice! I'm very familiar with NNMC. I've been at there alot the past couple months for physical therapy. I might actually PCS there soon. In fact, I'm riding the ninja there today

And ya, DC area has horrible traffic and the road conditions are horrible too.

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #9
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Pro Sub-4 Part II Review

So far my high expectations for this back protector had held up, now it was time to test it where it really counted, on the bike.

I took it around the city and on the freeway for about 45 minutes. All in all the whole ride lasted about 2 hours, the majority of it being freeway riding.

The first ride didn't pan out so well for me. The waist strap was digging into my belly and it felt like the protector kept riding up in the back. At the end of the ride I was so turned off by it that I immediately put it on ebay. However after thinking a lot and sleeping on it I thought that I had maybe put it on too tight. I had such high hopes for this thing that I had to give it another chance. So I did.

Turns out that I did have it on waaay too tight. After making proper adjustments I went for another ride, this time it was to a moto shop to get my new pilot powers installed. I got lost there on the way so it turned out to be an hour ride there and 45 min ride back, city and freeway riding in hot, humid, DC weather.

The whole time though though the back protector felt great, almost like it wasn't even there. Although the weather was hellish, it made for a great test of the back protectors breathability And it does breathe great compared to other protectors I've heard about. There was a slight warm spot by my lower back if I remember correctly, but for the most part my back felt cool. The foam molds to your back position, and getting into tucks is no problem. When adjusted properly, the back protector stays in place and doesn't shift uncomfortably. It doesn't restrict my mobility either, I can still fully turn my head to look when switching lanes.

So there you have it, I have heard these protectors are the best money can buy, and I believe it. It offers superior protection, it's breathable, comfortable, lightweight, molds to your body, has a washable outer layer, fully adjustable and also looks pretty cool as well. I just pray I never have to test it, but if I do I feel very protected.

I would highly recommend this piece to anybody considering a strap on back protector.

A couple tips, keep the waist strap just tight enough so you just feel it hugging around you. If you feel like the strap is digging into your belly, it's too tight

Only tighten the shoulder straps so much as to take away the slack. Don't tighten them all the way up if you don't need to

If anybody has any questions about something I didn't cover, please ask.

Old July 30th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #10
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Cool. Thanks for the review and I agree, it's great to see someone spend money on protection.

One thing about the forcefield back protector, how's the shoulder blades? Is it well covered? I've seen the designs of the knox back protectors and they seem to have a different shape, presumably to cover the shoulder blades more.

setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:15 PM   #11
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Cool. Thanks for the review and I agree, it's great to see someone spend money on protection.

One thing about the forcefield back protector, how's the shoulder blades? Is it well covered? I've seen the designs of the knox back protectors and they seem to have a different shape, presumably to cover the shoulder blades more.

I'm wearing it right now and my shoulder blades are protected. If you see where the protector wings out, this covers the part of the shoulder blade that sticks out. Between shoulder armor and this protector, you would have very good shoulder/blade protection. It does look like the knox may provide more complete blade protection though.