ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old March 6th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Cool 3-3-12 MSRH Novice Track day

This is my first ever Track Day and did it with Ride Smart. Randy328 was our lead novice instructor and was a good one at it! He's also a member here too! My day ended when I went off the track at the start of the second to last session I'm okay and so is the bike. Left side fairing is rashed, shifter bent and handle bar is bent. Broke the rear passenger peg bracket as well. It was still a fun day! I can't wait to get back out again!

I'm guessing I'm running around novice pace~ 2:20+. I'm pretty sure now that I can carry more speeds coming into the turns. Critiques, tips, advice appreciated!

Here are the video's I have so far:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Here's a clip of my spill:

I had Randy follow me so he knows how I went down. Drifted out of the turn thinking I could pass on the outside and got fixated on the guy in front of me as he was drifting out as well.

Full video of me spilling it with advice from Randy afterwards:

I'll also post some pictures later.

Last futzed with by cuong-nutz; March 6th, 2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added last video
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Congrats and can't wait to check out vid.

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #3
675Raisinator
ninjette.org member

Name: Zander the Expander

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki 250 (Track scooter) 2012 Triumph Daytona 675

sorry to see you wiped out coung... hit me up on MH if you need parts/help rebuilding
675Raisinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Wait...aren't you my little Asian boi-toi that just bought the Dainese suit? Oh no! Is the suit okay?

JK...you're okay though right? Sucks to hear. But I think so long as you're not hurt it's a good learning experience.

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Wait...aren't you my little Asian boi-toi that just bought the Dainese suit? Oh no! Is the suit okay?

JK...you're okay though right? Sucks to hear. But I think so long as you're not hurt it's a good learning experience.
Hahaha. I sold the Dainese suit to a friend and rocked my Frank Thomas suit. Some of the stitching came undone where I was sliding on one buttcheek and some on my A* GP Pro gloves. It was definitely a learning experience!

I know of a girl that does leather repair so shouldn't be a problem getting them back up to shape

You'll hear Randy say that I could have saved it if I just went off instead of trying to stay on. I really thought I could have stayed on but I guess I should not have taken the chance.

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675Raisinator View Post
sorry to see you wiped out coung... hit me up on MH if you need parts/help rebuilding
Yeah, I'll hit you up for a turn signal maybe but I'll have a cheapy LED i can use for now to pass inspection

Old March 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

me coming onto the pit straight:

aftermath:

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

ahh looked like a classic case of stiffening up when you get nervous! You stood the bike up from before the apex and let it drift all the way out into the grass... Can't tell you how many times I've done that exact thing (minus the crashing part). Ride a dirtbike some time, its good training for getting used to having the bike move around under you

Its all good, as long as you're unhurt and the bike is fixable. Get out there and do it again.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #10
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
ahh looked like a classic case of stiffening up when you get nervous! You stood the bike up from before the apex and let it drift all the way out into the grass... Can't tell you how many times I've done that exact thing (minus the crashing part). Ride a dirtbike some time, its good training for getting used to having the bike move around under you

Its all good, as long as you're unhurt and the bike is fixable. Get out there and do it again.
I chose to go drift right exiting because I thought I had a chance at passing on the outside because I saw the inside line was bunched up. Oh well, I'll be out there again soon hopefully.

Old March 10th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #11
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

check the frame. both times my kid dropped the bike the rearsets were OK. frame was bent. cheapo stamped steel. easy to bend back though. big crescent wrench and a bit of force.

halfway fast time though. my son won the ESS there and in practice on the cold day was hitting 2:14's

Old March 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #12
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I chose to go drift right exiting because I thought I had a chance at passing on the outside because I saw the inside line was bunched up. Oh well, I'll be out there again soon hopefully.
It's was a good learning experience!

Following behind you, I was thinking, "Hmm, kinda wide...oh no, stay there, ride it out...oh sh**."

When you are not sure what the guys in front are going to do, always watch them a few turns then make your move. If we'd stayed to the left, they drifted out and didn't hammer it hard; with acceleration at the right moment, we'd sneak by on the 'fiddys.

If you run off again on a straight (and you're not going to, right??), always remember it's nearly impossible to get back on when the concrete/asphalt is parallel to you. You are below the lip, just not going to go back up. Have to wait until you are perpendicular or the ground is above the track. I've thrown a few down in a driveway before because of concrete lips...and teammates have dumped the very Ninja I was on in a similar fashion!

You can carry more speed into the corners, and the 250 is one of the Kings of Late Braking. Just relax and get more seat time, it will come. Concentrate on smooth. Smooth makes fast.

Be glad to ride with you again anytime. TWS next!
CMRA #328
Ridesmart.info Instructor
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #13
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasle View Post
check the frame. both times my kid dropped the bike the rearsets were OK. frame was bent. cheapo stamped steel. easy to bend back though. big crescent wrench and a bit of force.

halfway fast time though. my son won the ESS there and in practice on the cold day was hitting 2:14's
I'm pretty familiar with the stamped steel. I had a small spill a year ago and it bent the right frame out a lil bit. The position of the rearset is off but it's not noticeable riding. I checked the left side and it's good. The kickstand took the brunt of the slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy328 View Post
It's was a good learning experience!

Following behind you, I was thinking, "Hmm, kinda wide...oh no, stay there, ride it out...oh sh**."

When you are not sure what the guys in front are going to do, always watch them a few turns then make your move. If we'd stayed to the left, they drifted out and didn't hammer it hard; with acceleration at the right moment, we'd sneak by on the 'fiddys.

If you run off again on a straight (and you're not going to, right??), always remember it's nearly impossible to get back on when the concrete/asphalt is parallel to you. You are below the lip, just not going to go back up. Have to wait until you are perpendicular or the ground is above the track. I've thrown a few down in a driveway before because of concrete lips...and teammates have dumped the very Ninja I was on in a similar fashion!

You can carry more speed into the corners, and the 250 is one of the Kings of Late Braking. Just relax and get more seat time, it will come. Concentrate on smooth. Smooth makes fast.

Be glad to ride with you again anytime. TWS next!
Perhaps if I just had countersteered more I would have stayed on the pavement lol. My friends are pushing me to go to TWS, but there's so many event going on the same weekend I definitely need more seat time to get comfortable.

Old March 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #14
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
My friends are pushing me to go to TWS, but there's so many event going on the same weekend I definitely need more seat time to get comfortable.
Watch our schedule, I know it is a drive, but the absolute best 250 track we do is Cresson 1.3. The 1.7 isn't bad, but the 1.3 is a blast.
CMRA #328

Old March 10th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #15
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Come on out, come on out!

I skipped MSRH, I'm coming back to TWS 3/19, so Randy I'll hook up with you there. Come on out, folks, get out and ride. What more seat time do you need? You can drag some knee in t10 at TWS
Also already registered for 3/31-4/1 ECR. I'm spending way too much $$ on this.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #16
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Watch our schedule, I know it is a drive, but the absolute best 250 track we do is Cresson 1.3. The 1.7 isn't bad, but the 1.3 is a blast.
I've seen videos of ECR and I hope and plan to be out there

Old March 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #17
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

ECR is cool too, it's drawback is there are two LONG straights that are pretty boring for the 250. Besides that, it's also one of my favorites....hmmm, I think I have too many favorites tracks....ECR, MSRC, Hallet, TWS, Barber, etc, etc, etc.
CMRA #328

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #18
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
ECR is cool too, it's drawback is there are two LONG straights that are pretty boring for the 250. Besides that, it's also one of my favorites....hmmm, I think I have too many favorites tracks....ECR, MSRC, Hallet, TWS, Barber, etc, etc, etc.
Ooops, I get MSR-C and ECR confused. Probably because both have C's.