ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #1
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Name: Arnold

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

My bike sorta has 12 gears.

Dropped her 2 weeks ago since then she had been working pretty weird.

Once in a while i can't even start the engine, and sometime when i tired to downshift from Neutral to first gear i still ended up with neutral...often have to step on it multiple times to down shift to first gear. Sometime when i am at 2 gear it would drop down to neutral too, although this had been happening for quite a while and i reckon that might simply be because i am not kicking it hard enough (doesn't had any problem with other gears tho, odd enough).

What should i start checking for? I am by all means no mechanic but to me it seems like it has something to do with either engine or gear box.
Or both?

Old September 6th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #2
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Is the shift lever properly attached? Maybe it loosened up with use and dropping it loosened it some more?
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
for one, be gentle on the shifter. When you get stuck in neutral and it won't go down to first, let the clutch out just to the beginning of the friction zone, and tap it down like normal into first. It will drop into first nicely. Bashing on the shift lever is a great way to bend shift forks and need tranny work.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
adjust the positioning of the shift lever to make it easier.

Old September 9th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #5
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Just replace battery and it still isn't starting smoothly.
Like it would make a Pop sound (exhaust?) and dies..without choke, best is that it starts, rumble a little and dies.
Thought it might be a dirty carb but none of those too rich/lean systoms exist besides hard to start...might be a motor thing i guess.

Man there's a lot to learn about bike maintaince..

Old September 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldc6 View Post
Just replace battery and it still isn't starting smoothly.
Like it would make a Pop sound (exhaust?) and dies..without choke, best is that it starts, rumble a little and dies.
Thought it might be a dirty carb but none of those too rich/lean systoms exist besides hard to start...might be a motor thing i guess.

Man there's a lot to learn about bike maintaince..
it would probably start great after a valve adjust, oil change, carb cleaning and sync

Old September 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #7
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it would probably start great after a valve adjust, oil change, carb cleaning and sync
Did my oil change a week ago...so carb it is then.
Hope my baby is good.

Old October 10th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #8
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldc6 View Post
Dropped her 2 weeks ago since then she had been working pretty weird.

Once in a while i can't even start the engine, and sometime when i tired to downshift from Neutral to first gear i still ended up with neutral...often have to step on it multiple times to down shift to first gear. Sometime when i am at 2 gear it would drop down to neutral too, although this had been happening for quite a while and i reckon that might simply be because i am not kicking it hard enough (doesn't had any problem with other gears tho, odd enough).

What should i start checking for? I am by all means no mechanic but to me it seems like it has something to do with either engine or gear box.
Or both?
my bike really likes being in neutral, so it's become somewhat of a habit for me. at a stop, hold the clutch in and press down on the shifter and keep pressing down while simultaneously letting the clutch out until it just barely clicks into gear. you don't need to hammer on the shifter, just need to coax it a bit... give it a little lovin'

edit: extreme facepalm. timestamp is 2012, not 2013
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote