Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old February 21st, 2016, 06:28 PM   #1
sabre al
ninjette.org newbie

Name: albert

Motorcycle(s): (1) 84 honda sabre v4 700 (2) 2010 ninjette

valve adjustment

hi folks sabre-al here. just thinking as a machinist, why not lap the required amount from each valve shim instead of buying more. two parallels and some valve grinding compound should not take long to remove .005 - .007" from your existing shims as needed. chime in with your thoughts.
sabre al is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2016, 06:32 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Albert!

Someone will chime in soon.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2016, 06:38 PM   #3
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
The only downside is that if you take too much, you're gonna need a shim anyway.

The upside is that if you're very careful, this can be done and you can save 10 bucks in shims.

IMO, doing this is not worth the 10 bucks in shims I can get from the local shop.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2016, 06:46 PM   #4
sabre al
ninjette.org newbie

valve adjustment

yes, if shims can be obtained for just ten bucks or so, it wouldnt be worth fooling with.

Old February 21st, 2016, 06:54 PM   #5
sabre al
ninjette.org newbie

valve adjustment

wouldnt it be nice if the valve shims were the same hardness as the valves and seats so they would wear approximately the same, increasing adjustment intervals.

Old February 21st, 2016, 06:55 PM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre al View Post
yes, if shims can be obtained for just ten bucks or so, it wouldnt be worth fooling with.
If you have a local repair shop, they will most likely have them for a couple bucks each.

Don't order an entire 80 dollar shim kit. The shop I have local, last time I went, just exchanged the three shims I needed for the ones I had at no cost.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 21st, 2016, 07:48 PM   #7
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
My "shims-ing" will only be done by the mechanic.

I just sit and watch.

Welcome Albert!

Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:18 PM   #8
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome.

Old February 24th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #9
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
welcome.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

A lot of people and places say the shims are case hardened, so removing material will remove the outer most and hardest portion, resulting in excessive wear later on.

But I did what you said, I have a surface grinder at my job and brought each shim in and took off the required amount (.002-.003 in most cases). No issues with my or my friends bike as of yet.

I have purchased the shim kit for the future only because I wanted to be able to do the valve job without having to wait a day or so to bring parts to work and grind them.

Old February 25th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #11
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
wouldnt it be nice if the valve shims were the same hardness as the valves and seats so they would wear approximately the same, increasing adjustment intervals.
Welcome, Albert! Lots of interesting reading, sage advice, and entertaining people on this forum.

The shims don't wear at all. It's the valve/seat interface that slowly wears away due to the hot temperatures and thousands of opening/closing cycles every minute.

During operation, the shims don't even make contact with the camshaft lobes (or rocker mechanisms, depending on engine configuration): there's a oil film between the two metal surfaces.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 06:03 AM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 07:05 AM   #13
sabre al
ninjette.org newbie

valve adjustment

i would think case hardening would penetrate deeper than a couple thousandths, making that a non issue , if you remove half off each side.you know ,grind and or lap .002" off each side to remove .004" total would reduce the possibility of breaking through the hardened surface.

Old March 1st, 2016, 08:31 AM   #14
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
i would think case hardening would penetrate deeper than a couple thousandths, making that a non issue , if you remove half off each side.you know ,grind and or lap .002" off each side to remove .004" total would reduce the possibility of breaking through the hardened surface.

I don't know a whole lot about the hardening process, but here's how I have seen it done for the 29.5 mm shims both my Suzuki's use. The shims are stamped at the factory with the thickness, which, if that side is installed down that side is basically stationary other than spinning in the bucket. Which is a lot of movement but not nearly the action the top side is getting from the cam.

When you grind a shim (my brother did a few with a mill a while back) just grind the side where the thickness was marked, so you don't have the wrong thickness. Then install that ground side down. That way if it's lost any hardening from the grinding, it will be on the side that doesn't get beaten on thousands of times a minute.

Oh, and I don't know if it's an issue for the Kawi's, but I remember receiving an adamant warning to make sure the shims are NEVER exposed to magnetism. Apparently a magnetized shim could stick to the cam and lift out of the bucket in a perfect storm and wreak a lot of havoc in your motor. Fishing those suckers out of the head I could see the temptation to grab it with a magnetic screwdriver. I used these huge 6-inch long tweezers and they worked without a whole lot of cursing.

Old March 1st, 2016, 08:32 AM   #15
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

And PS: Welcome to the forum!!

Old March 1st, 2016, 08:40 AM   #16
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxpower? View Post
I don't know a whole lot about the hardening process, but here's how I have seen it done for the 29.5 mm shims both my Suzuki's use. The shims are stamped at the factory with the thickness, which, if that side is installed down that side is basically stationary other than spinning in the bucket. Which is a lot of movement but not nearly the action the top side is getting from the cam.

When you grind a shim (my brother did a few with a mill a while back) just grind the side where the thickness was marked, so you don't have the wrong thickness. Then install that ground side down. That way if it's lost any hardening from the grinding, it will be on the side that doesn't get beaten on thousands of times a minute.

Oh, and I don't know if it's an issue for the Kawi's, but I remember receiving an adamant warning to make sure the shims are NEVER exposed to magnetism. Apparently a magnetized shim could stick to the cam and lift out of the bucket in a perfect storm and wreak a lot of havoc in your motor. Fishing those suckers out of the head I could see the temptation to grab it with a magnetic screwdriver. I used these huge 6-inch long tweezers and they worked without a whole lot of cursing.
This doesn't really apply to Ninja's and most (!) motorcycles as they are shim-under-bucket (yes, I know a few are shim over bucket). IE, the bucket is what makes contact with the cam, and the shim is a tiny little thing riding on top of the valve stem.

Old March 1st, 2016, 08:44 AM   #17
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
This doesn't really apply to Ninja's and most (!) motorcycles as they are shim-under-bucket (yes, I know a few are shim over bucket). IE, the bucket is what makes contact with the cam, and the shim is a tiny little thing riding on top of the valve stem.
Oh, whoops lol the only direct-actuate valve covers I've ever had off were the Suzukis

I assumed that was the norm for shim setups.

So anyways ignore all I've said here lol.

Old March 1st, 2016, 09:40 AM   #18
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxpower? View Post
Oh, whoops lol the only direct-actuate valve covers I've ever had off were the Suzukis

I assumed that was the norm for shim setups.

So anyways ignore all I've said here lol.
Well, it's still good info in regards to engines. Just not most motorcycles. It was a "thing" in the 80's and early 90's, then everything went shim under. Yamaha used them on the 1100 Maxim and a few other bikes too.

A lot of Japanese car and truck engines used them. I don't buy in to the magnetism thing unless you really juiced them with a rare earth magnet or something. A small magnet on the end of a wand won't do any harm.

Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:30 PM   #19
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

I've seen shim grinding videos on YT done somewhere in Asia.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #20
Tim Fox
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 SE

Do not think I will worry about valve shims or 600 mile maintenance. I have road raced and thrashed bikes for years and checked clearances and have found very minimal clearance issues. I do all maintenance myself but I have a lot of experience. If you have little or no experience with motorcycle maintenance I would highly recommend having an experienced mechanic service your bike. Maintenance issues can cause serious safety concerns.
Tim Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 05:31 AM   #21
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
hi folks sabre-al here. just thinking as a machinist, why not lap the required amount from each valve shim instead of buying more. two parallels and some valve grinding compound should not take long to remove .005 - .007" from your existing shims as needed. chime in with your thoughts.
Just speaking as a non-machinist.

I wouldn't go through the trouble of lapping the shims because I don't have the equipment to do so. For the small price of the shims it isn't worth the hassle.

And Welcome to the Ninjettes.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2016, 11:30 AM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
Do not think I will worry about valve shims or 600 mile maintenance. I have road raced and thrashed bikes for years and checked clearances and have found very minimal clearance issues. I do all maintenance myself but I have a lot of experience. If you have little or no experience with motorcycle maintenance I would highly recommend having an experienced mechanic service your bike. Maintenance issues can cause serious safety concerns.
Valves aren't needed to be checked on the 300 until the 7500 mile service IIRC. This is different than the pre-gen bikes. The 600 mile maintenance isn't much, and one can certainly perform it themselves if they choose; but that doesn't mean the items in it are good to ignore completely.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote