ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 18th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #1
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

Not really a crash but it got tipped over

Someone from work backed a van into my bike and tipped it over onto my exhaust side.

The manager came out and gathered my information and also has insurance so it's not too big of a deal BUT

a small oil drip started..not sure where it's coming from and that's my primary concern. Cosmetic stuff is not too big of a deal. I'm not sure where the drip came from but i thought i'd ask in case this is something that occurs when the bike is tipped over.

luckily i had installed frame sliders 2 weekends ago. Sucks that the sliders were used when i wasnt even on the bike, but they held up well.

Some pics attached:

did some research and it looks like a leak can occur after getting tipped. i'll have to check on it during lunch to see if anything else comes out.

Do insurance companies replace or repair scuffed fairings? If my exhaust got pretty badly scuffed do they replace the whole thing?
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Knobs28
ninjette.org member

Name: Francisco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Try to take out the Right hand side Fairing, and inspect Closely the following:

Engine Seals
oil Cap
any Sign crack in the engine Block
or From the sides

I'm not an Expert But i would Check For those Types of Sign
Knobs28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #3
thelazyone22
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Roland

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
a small oil drip started..not sure where it's coming from and that's my primary concern. Cosmetic stuff is not too big of a deal. I'm not sure where the drip came from but i thought i'd ask in case this is something that occurs when the bike is tipped over.
Airbox might be filled with / leaking oil. See this thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75617

Quote:
Do insurance companies replace or repair scuffed fairings? If my exhaust got pretty badly scuffed do they replace the whole thing?
Insurance is going to write up the full retail cost of the fairings / parts. They will want to fully replace your fairings / muffler with new OEM parts. This can quickly add up to the point where insurance will want to write off your bike and cut you a check.

Check the frame. If there is even a small nick on the frame and the insurance adjuster sees it, they're going to write off the bike.
thelazyone22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #4
ez12a
ninjette.org member

damn what if it's a two brothers exhaust? That would really suck if they wont replace that for me.

it looks like besides the extremities like the bar ends and lever, mirror, and the side of my exhaust nothing else touched the ground. seems like it fell directly onto the frame slider.

Old February 18th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #5
thelazyone22
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Roland

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
damn what if it's a two brothers exhaust? That would really suck if they wont replace that for me.

it looks like besides the extremities like the bar ends and lever, mirror, and the side of my exhaust nothing else touched the ground. seems like it fell directly onto the frame slider.
Since the accident wasn't your fault, you just want to be very clear with the insurance adjuster that the exhaust is aftermarket and you'd want a replacement Two Brothers, not a stock OEM. They may not send a moto-savvy adjuster so if he / she just glances over and doesn't make note of the aftermarket, you could get stuck with a big hassle.

It's good that the frame slider did its job; the shattered windscreen makes the damage seem a lot worse than it most likely is. However since the accident wasn't your fault, a lot of it is going to be up to you / your insurance company to make sure the other party makes you whole, whether that's fixing the bike up or cutting you a check. You'll want your representative to be as thorough as possible, ask for a mechanical inspection to be safe and get all the parts replaced.

The underlying point is that since these little bikes are cheap and replacement parts tend to be relatively expensive, there could be a point where the insurance company would rather write the bike off and cut you a check. You can a) take the full payout, b) take the bike back with a salvage title and partial payout or c) not take the payout and demand the bike be fixed.

Just be thorough, document everything, weigh your options carefully and don't make any rash or emotional decisions.
thelazyone22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
That bike looks brand new (except for the crashed parts).

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #7
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone22 View Post
Since the accident wasn't your fault, you just want to be very clear with the insurance adjuster that the exhaust is aftermarket and you'd want a replacement Two Brothers, not a stock OEM. They may not send a moto-savvy adjuster so if he / she just glances over and doesn't make note of the aftermarket, you could get stuck with a big hassle.

It's good that the frame slider did its job; the shattered windscreen makes the damage seem a lot worse than it most likely is. However since the accident wasn't your fault, a lot of it is going to be up to you / your insurance company to make sure the other party makes you whole, whether that's fixing the bike up or cutting you a check. You'll want your representative to be as thorough as possible, ask for a mechanical inspection to be safe and get all the parts replaced.

The underlying point is that since these little bikes are cheap and replacement parts tend to be relatively expensive, there could be a point where the insurance company would rather write the bike off and cut you a check. You can a) take the full payout, b) take the bike back with a salvage title and partial payout or c) not take the payout and demand the bike be fixed.

Just be thorough, document everything, weigh your options carefully and don't make any rash or emotional decisions.
thanks for the tips. Their insurance never called, i'm going to give them a call tomorrow if i dont get one by noon. Worst case scenario i'll involve my own AAA to get it on my behalf (i've done this for my cars).

i'm pretty certain the oil came from that airbox tube. nothing else was on the ground after i moved the bike a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
That bike looks brand new (except for the crashed parts).
it only has 51xx miles on it now or something rather. I did get it for a premium as far as ninjas go (socal ninjas are so expensive ) but i liked the mods it came with lol. If i had gotten an unmodified ninja any cheaper, the mods i would've done would bring it close.

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I feel like you may end up in the situation where an insurance adjuster wants to write off the bike. My reasoning for this is the oil leak, an insurance adjuster looks at that and just goes "well ****, this'll cost us a good deal of money" after seeing the cosmetic stuff in addition to that. If you have any frame damage it's an instant write up. If it's a write up situation make sure that you get refunded for all of your aftermarket modifications, namely the two brothers exhaust you have on there.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I lowsided at a low speed back in October and when I picked my bike back up it was leaking oil. It was also on the right side. It dripped for a couple of days and then stopped. That was four months ago and it hasn't leaked since. But my bike was running when it hit the ground and yours wasn't, I'm not sure if that makes a difference but... I wouldn't freak out too much yet. A couple other friends of mine whose bikes have been down on the right side have leaked oil shortly after, but then stopped.

Also, my fairings were trashed. The insurance adjuster literally asked me if I wanted my bike to be totaled or not, and when I said no, he wrote up the cost of the parts that he would pay me for and omitted other things as 'pre existing damage' which would fly on my bike 'cause it's a 1999 and there are scratches all over it so he wouldn't know what's new or not. I don't know if this will work for you. But it's worth telling your claims adjuster that you DON'T want your bike totaled. The insurance company has to give you more money if you total your bike, after all...

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #10
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the responses.

it leaked again later that night after riding but i wiped it down more and it hasnt leaked since. I too think it's just something that can happen when the bike is tipped over--oil goes into places that it normally doesnt go.

I havent been able to contact the other party's insurance so i notified AAA just so they know. If I decide to go with them i can just take it to a shop of my choosing and let my agent know. They'll waive the deductible and in previous times with my cars they go after the other party's insurance in my stead.

damn..i'm planning on taking it on a trip to SD this weekend..should i just drive and leave the bike alone until i can take it to the shop? Lest i crash on it during this process..rode it into work without the windscreen.

i would prefer not to have this totalled because it's a very clean bike (or was) and there aren't any ninja 250s like it at the moment on the market. Unless of course somehow the other insurance cuts me a large enough check to get something.

Old February 19th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #11
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Some insurance companies cover accessories.

Old February 20th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #12
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

MY insurance requires me to pay an additional coverage charge for any after market or modifications. Its about 32$ for 3K$ additional coverage.

I consider it totally worth it , because other wise my bike is insured for blue book of my bike- which is low because all of my bikes are old lol

its the difference between 2600$ buy out if my vstar were wrecked or 5600$ if they counted the custom paint , exhaust, intake, oil filter relocation kit and added chrome. - they still probably wouldnt give me max payout but at least cover those items ~ about 2500$ subtract depreciation. and they do depreciate stuff.

My totaled Jeep cherokee they depreciated thousands because I replaced the front drivers seat and other cosmetic blemishes! I was rear ended and it totaled my jeep and they offered me 2100 or 1800 and i keep it salvage title. I took the 1800 and sold it for scrap for 600 .... either way it was not fun.

Always get MORE coverage.... its only a little more but it pays a lot when it counts!
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #13
ez12a
ninjette.org member

yeah i think since i'm not at fault in this one my coverage limits dont really matter, i can pretty much demand anything haha.

I'm going to take it to a shop, get an estimate and go through AAA, who will then demand money from the other party. No money out of my pocket! The other insurance contacted me this morning as well.

definitely agree though on the insurance coverage. It shares the same coverage as my car so it's actually quite comprehensive. It just doesnt pay for medical lol..but i have med insurance for that.

Old February 20th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #14
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
yeah i think since i'm not at fault in this one my coverage limits dont really matter, i can pretty much demand anything haha.

I'm going to take it to a shop, get an estimate and go through AAA, who will then demand money from the other party. No money out of my pocket! The other insurance contacted me this morning as well.

definitely agree though on the insurance coverage. It shares the same coverage as my car so it's actually quite comprehensive. It just doesnt pay for medical lol..but i have med insurance for that.
Sounds like a good way to handle it....
I am getting new plans when I move down to NC ... I am going to have to do my research
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #15
ez12a
ninjette.org member

alright so the shop got a check and will be ordering parts.

Those of you who have had insurance repairs on your bike, do you get to keep the old parts or are you entitled to?

That two brothers exhaust...the old one still works.

Old March 7th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
alright so the shop got a check and will be ordering parts.

Those of you who have had insurance repairs on your bike, do you get to keep the old parts or are you entitled to?

That two brothers exhaust...the old one still works.
insurance writes you a check for the cost of the repairs. that is the end of it. if a shop trys to keep your old parts, that's between you and them.

Old March 7th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #17
ez12a
ninjette.org member

gotcha. AAA wrote a check to the shop for their estimate, but i just emailed the guy at the shop i can keep the old brother's exhaust. Will be getting a shiny new two brothers from insurance! the old one has a few scratches but it works. it would be a waste to scrap it.

Old March 14th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #18
ez12a
ninjette.org member

just an update but it's fixed!

Old March 14th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #19
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Sweet!

What have you got on your rear seat? What bag is that?
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #20
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Sweet!

What have you got on your rear seat? What bag is that?
Thanks!

that would be a Kreiga US-20!