ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #1
chokne
I name everything

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Eva

Motorcycle driveable only on PRI setting

Hey everone, i need some of your expertise for my friends problem. He just bought a 98 gs500. The dude before didn't drive it for like 2 months. We went for a ride yesterday and found out he's only able to drive the bike in the PRI setting. If he puts the petcock at on, the bike has no power and eventually stalls. What cab cause that. We have thought about clogged fuel lines, or maybe something wrong with the manifold, not sucking in gas. Any other possible explanation?

Thanks peeps
Posted via Mobile Device
chokne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #2
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

The petcock is vacuum operated. Check the vacuum line connected to the petcock. It could be loose or cracked. If the hose is good check the petcock itself. With the petcock in the on or reserve position attach a hose to the vacuum port and suck on it (yeah I said suck on it). Gas should flow while you suck (yup you suck). If it doesn't you need to rebuild/replace the petcock.

Stuff could be clogged too but the fact that the bike runs fine on Prime leads me to think the problem is with the vacuum operated petcock.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #3
chokne
I name everything

Nice, thanks for the advice!

I'll tell him to suck on it
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #4
chokne
I name everything

Is it bad to run on prime?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #5
kkim

yes. if the float fuel valve in side the carb sticks open, the gas will run from the tank into the carbs and out the overflow tube all over the bike/ground until the tank is empty. it's like having no "off" position at the petcock. the bike will run fine, however, if there is no problem with that float valve.

fix the petcock.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote