Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old July 10th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I wasn't able to merge on freeway...was "forced" to exit

I was entering the interstate. As I was traveling on the on-ramp, getting ready to merge with interstate traffic, I realized the uneven pavement. It seems to be a good 1" - 1.5" difference in height. Although this may be no issue with any 4 wheeled vehicle, traveling up an uneven pavement that runs parallel to the path of travel on a two wheeled vehicle can be hazardous.

I was "forced" to travel on the shoulder of the road and "forced" to take the next exit off the interstate.

The paving company may not ride motorcycles and may not understand the potentially dangerous issue. An example would be riding a bicycle. Find a 2" curb. Now ride that bicycle parallel to that curb and slowly try to steer towards that curb to go up onto the curb. Chances are you will upset the bike's handling and may even crash.

Do you guys think I did the right thing by exiting the freeway? Or should I just "man up" and get to the right edge of my current lane, then try to "flick" the bike hard to the left to get a decent angle (maybe 20 degrees) and try to ride up that new pavement to enter the freeway?

What would you have done?

Link to original page on YouTube.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
i would have slowed down a bit made sure I had lots of room behind to get in that lane "no cars barreling down on me" and hit the new pavement at the best angle possible with out slowing down so much that I felt that my speed was dangerous.

But I think you made the right choice in not doing something you were not comfortable with. Riding that fast on the shoulder on the other hand... that can be risky in it's own right.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Last futzed with by subxero; July 10th, 2015 at 05:37 AM.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #3
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Just ride over that into the lane of travel, it's no big deal, I've done it,on my ninja, at about 80 mph. Barely felt it!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:53 AM   #4
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Understandable, usually your suppose to make an angled approach to the curb. Don't try to merge as your parallel. This past weekend when I was going home their was an area that had a rectangle cut into the road, with huge cuts. It was right after a corner and their was no road construction signs, could be a very dangerous issue if a biker ran into the parallel cuts.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 06:40 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I think you made a good choice.

If speeds were lower, and traffic was lighter, you may have been able to move the the right and make a sharper cut across it. The way it was, that wasn't a great option.

Hard to say if it would have been a problem, but by the time you found out it was it would have been too late.

Taking the safer way when you see a potential bad situation is usually the better choice.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #6
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Could you have made it? Probably but you made the smarter choice and are posting this here instead of the crash section. If you're not comfortable with it don't do it.

I will say that you can run over a lot more crap than you would think on a motorcycle.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Approach at a 45 degree angle. If you can't ride on a problem like paving how do you cross railroad tracks? Just be aware!

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #8
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

You did the right thing - protect yourself and do what makes you comfortable, always. I would have done the same thing, or made a complete stop and waited for however long I had to until I had a huge opening where I could idle or walk the bike across it and then accelerate back to speed.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
You did the right thing - protect yourself and do what makes you comfortable, always. I would have done the same thing, or made a complete stop and waited for however long I had to until I had a huge opening where I could idle or walk the bike across it and then accelerate back to speed.
I wouldn't suggest that in those conditions.

The time it takes for you to accelerate up to the traffic's speed is too long compared to how fast a moving car would be overtaking you. Any time there is a large speed differential there is significant risk.

Old July 10th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #10
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I wouldn't suggest that in those conditions.

The time it takes for you to accelerate up to the traffic's speed is too long compared to how fast a moving car would be overtaking you. Any time there is a large speed differential there is significant risk.
I'm not talking a small gap, I'm talking no cars as far as the eye can see. Yes, sometimes you will be there literally sitting for 15 minutes for a gap like that, but they exist if you're patient. I've made a complete stop at train tracks I didn't know - decelerate slowly from a far distance, people beep at you, oh well live to ride another day.

If at any point you're not confident in a maneuver, your chances of crashing go up exponentially. You tense up, you stop feeling the bike underneath you, and you have more things going through your mind to distract you.

Old July 10th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #11
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I would likely have hugged the right-most side of the merging lane, done a shoulder check to ensure there were no other vehicles to my left, and then angled over to the left at as sharp an angle as reasonable. At 50-60 mph you would have popped over that 'lip' fairly easily, like an angled railroad track.

I'd write an email or phone whomever is responsible for maintenance of tha section and let them know it poses a safety risk to single track vehicles, and may lead to future legal actions in the form of injured riders suing them.

Old July 10th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
I would likely have hugged the right-most side of the merging lane, done a shoulder check to ensure there were no other vehicles to my left, and then angled over to the left at as sharp an angle as reasonable. At 50-60 mph you would have popped over that 'lip' fairly easily, like an angled railroad track.

I'd write an email or phone whomever is responsible for maintenance of tha section and let them know it poses a safety risk to single track vehicles, and may lead to future legal actions in the form of injured riders suing them.
That's most likely what I would have done as well, but if you are not comfortable with the possibility of any type of significant wobble at that speed it's better to take another route like cadd did.

I absolutely would not stop though, as you also run the risk of being struck by traffic behind you (possibly looking back as they prepare to merge) that has no idea you will be slowing, pulling over, and stopping. I just don't see the reasonable possibility of a large enough break in traffic in that particular situation that would give you enough cushion to accelerate from 0 to a normal highway speed safely.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 10th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #13
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That's most likely what I would have done as well, but if you are not comfortable with the possibility of any type of significant wobble at that speed it's better to take another route like cadd did.

I absolutely would not stop though, as you also run the risk of being struck by traffic behind you (possibly looking back as they prepare to merge) that has no idea you will be slowing, pulling over, and stopping. I just don't see the reasonable possibility of a large enough break in traffic in that particular situation that would give you enough cushion to accelerate from 0 to a normal highway speed safely.
For most of the video OP is in what seems to be the shoulder. That's why I suggested the full stop until no traffic is present.

Old July 10th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #14
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Geez! What road was that?? I've never seen it that bad and rite to the edge like that...

Probably would have don the same thing you did.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
..........Do you guys think I did the right thing by exiting the freeway?
You did.
Consider that most crashes happen due to psychological reasons rather than to physical limitations.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right." - Henry Ford

Quote:
Or should I just "man up" and get to the right edge of my current lane, then try to "flick" the bike hard to the left to get a decent angle (maybe 20 degrees) and try to ride up that new pavement to enter the freeway?
If the edge is rounded and progressive for the front tire side to bite and surmount it.
For a sharp step with 1.5" difference in height 20 degrees may not work, I would suggest 35 to 40.

Quote:
What would you have done?
Stay away from that edge until traffic is suitable.
Slowdown and swerve in a way that the angle recommended above is achievable.
Two years ago, I was commuting though an area that looked exactly like that one for almost two months; I leaned then that a couple of riders had fallen there.

Please, read this article:
http://www.soundrider.com/current/14...e_hazards.aspx

"4. Be aggressive when crossing “edge traps.” The raised edges created by grinding away pavement are especially dangerous. A bike’s front tire can suddenly be redirected by the edge, wresting balance from your grasp. When you must cross a surface hazard such as a streetcar track or raised pavement edge, plan a line of attack that crosses at a maximum angle, preferably 45 degrees or greater. Get the bike vertical, and avoid braking. When bouncing up over a raised edge, momentarily add a burst of throttle to drive the front tire up and over."

Last futzed with by Motofool; July 11th, 2015 at 11:02 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #16
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I would have found a break in traffic, turned towards the lip aggressively, and ridden over it a little more head on.

I understand your caution and I applaud you for not doing something you aren't comfortable doing, but this isn't rocket science in the skill department...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just do a wheelie

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #18
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Sorry, but this made me lol - in the LOS this is a normal condition
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #19
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
So, I rode over the same thing, no different as it was a normal lane change. Really, it's no big deal!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #20
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
LOL. Yeah, I guess it's a "first world problem". I have no problems with this if it were lower speeds. But at 60 - 70mph, I was hesitant. When they pave roads locally (speed limits of 35 - 45mph), I've merged "up" on new pavement with no issues in the past. It would have sucked big time if I went down going freeway speeds. Huge headache in dealing with insurance and buying new gear. Since I was in no rush, I didn't want to take the chance and rather waste a few extra minutes to get to the next entrance to the freeway.

Thank you all for your input.

Old July 10th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
probably more likely to get a flat riding on the shoulder and crash from that then you would going over a little bump

Old July 11th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #22
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

You did was was right for you even if your route was longer.

Most others have given the proper advice on how to get over that kind of lip.
I would only add...
Be smooth and steady w throttle while rolling over it, slightly increasing gas, right as front tire about to hit it.

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
na pin it. always pin it.

Old July 11th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #24
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
na pin it. always pin it.
When in doubt, throttle out?

Old July 12th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #25
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

You made the right choice. The choice of avoiding a situation you were unfamiliar and uncomfortable with. Unfortunately, the way you avoided it was unsafe. You rode in the shoulder, and it seems like you even sped up.

The truth is, you will run into a variety of road conditions. I can guarantee you weren't the only motorcycle to take that onramp, and they were able to merge just fine. Most probably wouldn't have even noticed the uneven road.

In this instance, you would've been able to make this merge without divebombing at an angle or slowing down. Tires, suspension, and physics are a crazy thing. They're really very good at keeping you upright.

Old July 12th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #26
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
(SNIP).

In this instance, you would've been able to make this merge without divebombing at an angle or slowing down. Tires, suspension, and physics are a crazy thing. They're really very good at keeping you upright.
Not from my experience. When things go bad, physics usually takes over and gravity wins.

There are too many variables to be able to say whether he would have made the transition successfully. The height and angle of the edge, speed, the angle at which you transitioned over it, and specific factors of the motorcycle itself, all come into play. It could have been a non-issue - or a major problem - no telling.

It's all a judgement call for the rider based on his/her experience and confidence in his/her ability to correct any disruption in the bike's stability at the speed they are traveling.

Old July 12th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I would have found a break in traffic, turned towards the lip aggressively, and ridden over it a little more head on.

I understand your caution and I applaud you for not doing something you aren't comfortable doing, but this isn't rocket science in the skill department...
^^^ this

I don't mean to sound like a bunghole, but this was actually covered in the MSF. Loose on the bars, light in the saddle (use your legs), approach at an angle (steeper the better) and give it some throttle at the time of rolling over the bump.

Asside of that, you know your limits. That pavement didn't just magically show up. They had to prep the surface ahead of time. Did you know? Could have you avoided this area until their work was complete? I say this because I avoid construction areas like the plague. I will alter my route before I even throw a leg over to lower my risk level and to keep me comfortable.

Now... if it was a total surprise, then I think you did the right thing. Just keep the speed in check on the shoulder (looks like you did that). I have done similar things when they lay down fresh tar on roads. If you ask any police officer who has had advanced driver training, they will tell you that sometimes the shoulder has the better traction and driving there is not always frowned upon vs. working an accident scene.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #28
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Tires, suspension, and physics are a crazy thing. They're really very good at keeping you upright.
In a car? Maybe. On a bike? Not a chance.
Stand both a car and a bike up and let physics take over with no input from you.

Old July 14th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #29
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
In a car? Maybe. On a bike? Not a chance.
Stand both a car and a bike up and let physics take over with no input from you.
At a standstill yes. But we're talking at speed here.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Last futzed with by LittleRedNinjette; July 14th, 2015 at 07:45 AM.

Old July 14th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #30
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
At a standstill yes. But we talking at speed here.
Any vehicle that requires balancing, or help from gyroscopic effect, to stay upright is inherently unstable and will go out of control if forces are applied that exceed or upset the forces creating the stability.

Motorcycles crash at speed. World Champion riders crash. That proves something.

Old July 14th, 2015, 06:40 AM   #31
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

I think you did the wise thing. Better to pull off and think about your approach than make a big mistake in the heat of the moment.

That said, I've had to go through construction on my way to work the last few months and I routinely had to switch lanes over a drop off like this one. It made me nervous but I slowed down and never had a problem.

Old July 14th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #32
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Any vehicle that requires balancing, or help from gyroscopic effect, to stay upright is inherently unstable and will go out of control if forces are applied that exceed or upset the forces creating the stability.

Motorcycles crash at speed. World Champion riders crash. That proves something.
Duh, not what i said.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old July 14th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #33
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
Duh, not what i said.
Well I guess I missed your point then...

Old July 14th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #34
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I was just pointing out we are talking about a bike in motion, not standing still. It sounded like 95PGTTech meant standing still. Not that a bike can't crash or go down in motion.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old July 16th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #35
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Quote:
Not from my experience. When things go bad, physics usually takes over and gravity wins.

There are too many variables to be able to say whether he would have made the transition successfully. The height and angle of the edge, speed, the angle at which you transitioned over it, and specific factors of the motorcycle itself, all come into play. It could have been a non-issue - or a major problem - no telling.

It's all a judgement call for the rider based on his/her experience and confidence in his/her ability to correct any disruption in the bike's stability at the speed they are traveling.
I'll say this again. He wasn't the only rider on the road. Other riders made that transition on ****** bikes. Mopeds with 10" wheels can make that lip (Hawaii has tons of mopeds and tons of construction). He was overly cautious and put himself in an even more dangerous position because of that.

Someone mentioned it a few posts back, that this specific situation is covered in the MSF course.

Ride within your limits, but when your limit isn't even at a basic level, you should practice.

Old July 16th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #36
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I'll say this again. He wasn't the only rider on the road. Other riders made that transition on ****** bikes. Mopeds with 10" wheels can make that lip (Hawaii has tons of mopeds and tons of construction). He was overly cautious and put himself in an even more dangerous position because of that.

Someone mentioned it a few posts back, that this specific situation is covered in the MSF course.

Ride within your limits, but when your limit isn't even at a basic level, you should practice.
Says you...

I'm not going to suggest someone do something they feel may make them lose control - even if you can do it blindfolded.

He didn't crash. That's the most important thing here. His judgement was spot on for his skill level - and that's fine.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.