ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 1st, 2018, 04:19 PM   #1
hilli_micha
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Bike loses revs/power with WOT at speed.

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Ninja 250 with 10,500 miles on them and I suddenly started getting a problem today.

On my way out to dinner with my wife, I noticed that while I'm at speed (50mph) and hovering around 6k-8k RPMs, if I try to open up the throttle to speed up, I start actually losing revs and power. The loss of power seems to occur around the 75%~ throttle mark. Then once I roll back off of it, I can start getting some RPMs again, albeit slower and as far as sub-75% throttle will take you. Anyone have any ideas?

The only noteworthy thing to add is prior to going to dinner with my wife, I had to make another stop. This was the first time I took the bike out and while starting the bike I forgot to turn ON the petcock (it was off), so while letting the bike warm up, I was moving it around a little bit and it died. Thinking that I was just asking too much of the engine before it warmed up, I tried starting it a few times before realizing that the petcock was set to OFF. However, I don't recall the bike giving me issue during that errand. I don't know if this is relevant, but I'm including it just in case.
hilli_micha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Loss of power from the 75% throttle position and on up points to clogged main jet(s), among all the other possibilities.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2018, 06:08 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I would say it's an issue with either fuel flow or air flow.

Check the condition of the air filter and the snorkel opening to make sure nothing has restricted it. If you've cleaned and oiled the filter lately there could be too much oil on it. Pulling it out and taking a quick spin would tell you.

Check the inside of the tank for debris that may be plugging the petcock screens, and also pull the fuel line off the carb and look at the condition of the tiny inline fuel filter hiding inside. If someone has added a larger filter to the fuel line, remove it.

Try running it on a different position on the petcock.

How old is the gas? Old or bad gas can do similar things at higher RPMs and loads.

Lastly, the carbs may have junk in them partially blocking the jets. First thing to do would be to drain the floatbowls and look at what comes out for clues. If you see any junk or water you will have a better idea of what you need to do. Damaged carb diaphragms also come to mind as a possibility.

You may need to pull the carbs and give them a once-over. Let us know if you do, because many first-timers end-up needing to do it a couple times to get it right.

I might check the condition of the plugs as well.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2018, 08:52 AM   #4
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
tank vent issue?
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 4th, 2018, 03:40 PM   #5
hilli_micha
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Update for you all.

First, thank you everyone for your responses. I put in half a can of Seafoam, ran it for a few minutes, and let it sit overnight. The next day, I came out and checked the Air Filter (looked good) along with checking and wiggling hoses. Nothing was cracked.

After doing that, took the bike out and its running normally again. I suspect it was indeed a clog and I was lucky enough that Seafoam, or maybe even naturally, allowed the clog to break up.

Either way, bike is running like a peach now, in fact its even a bit more powerful than before, was actually able to get it to a relatively easy 90MPH with a bit more left to give on it.

Thanks again all!
hilli_micha is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.