Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Cold and stuck

so it's -20...windchill -30ish

my bike is in front of my car and I need to move it to my gf's garage, hopefully the weather clears up this week.

Who else is stuck in winter and has to move their bike?

why didn't i move it earlier?
i still had hope...last year we got up to +26 Celsius the week of Nov. 22 ish!

how I wish i could ride

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

You can still ride. Just gear up and take it slow. As long as there isnt ice or snow. So that I can search this thread up again later... i'm going to include the keywords "car sliding pinball".

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ccdde4967e
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM   #3
maraci
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green Ninja 250r

Took a ride a few days ago right before the first big snow settled in. was -10ish degrees with some windchill i'm sure. As long as the roads are dry and doesnt have any sleek/ice/snow on them, dress up nicely and you'll be fine.
I was nicely bundled with layers. Only thing I couldn't figure out was the hands. boy did my fingers freeze. even with the gortex mits I had on top of my riding gloves. How do you keeners keep your fingers warm in the cold days? are heated grips really the only option?

Anyways, the snow inevitably came (much too soon for my taste) and now its parked for good I think.
maraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraci View Post
Only thing I couldn't figure out was the hands. boy did my fingers freeze. even with the gortex mits I had on top of my riding gloves. How do you keeners keep your fingers warm in the cold days? are heated grips really the only option?
I use gloves which are like mittens with a single split in between, so you've got two fingers clumped together in each section. Less surface area to cool down. They work well for me: nice and toasty!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM   #5
maraci
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I use gloves which are like mittens with a single split in between, so you've got two fingers clumped together in each section. Less surface area to cool down. They work well for me: nice and toasty!
yea I used the shell of my mom's gortex gloves (not sure if gortex is spelled right) and those are mitten style gloves. I hoped blocking the wind would have been the only thing needed on top of my riding gloves + gloves I wear underneath those on cold rides, but it really didn't help. If the snow clears before the next fall, i'll for sure try something else. probably end up dropping the riding gloves and simply wear snowmobile mittens.
maraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM   #6
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@maraci: there have been lots of winter riding discussions on this forum. It seems to me that many riders prefer heated gloves over heated grips. Apparently the heated grips (although convenient) don't work nearly as well as the heated gloves. I can't personally attest to this: I've never tried either.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 03:06 PM   #7
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Heated gloves will always work better than heated grips because it covers the whole hand and definitely keeps the hands perfectly toasty. It would be the way to go if you ride in those temperatures.

Heated grips are great for those of us with moderately cold temps that just need a little bit extra warmth but not cold enough to switch to a thicker glove. FYI, thick winter gloves w/ heated grips do not work well because the gloves insulate from both the cold and the heat. That would be the the worst combination to go with.

I recommend heated gloves for your type of cold weather. While you are at it, I think a heated jacket liner isnt a bad idea either. This way you are less restricted by layers but still warm enough. Heated jacket liners can be used with any jacket as long as you carry a battery pack. Great for those skiing/snowboarding trips and walks in the park.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote