ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

View Poll Results: Will you buy an iPhone 4S?
Yea! 9 33.33%
No, cuz I'm stuck in a contract! 8 29.63%
No, cuz Androids are better! 7 25.93%
No, cuz I don't have a smartphone and am not sure why I'm in this thread.... 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 4th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
When is the iPhone 5 coming out? (Discussion Thread)

If one more person asks me that damn question, I'm going to go on a bloodthirsty mission to slaughter Apple fans.

Anyway, are you going to get the iPhone 4S? Do you have an iPhone? Do you want one? Is android better? Which network is best for the iPhone (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint)? Are you a Jailbreaker?

Discuss
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I'm using a jailbroken 3GS with at&t but I'm out of contract now and thinking about switching.

I got in under the unlimited plan so I was grandfathered in when they switched to the crappy new plans. I tether to my laptop at work on very rare occasion (like now) and they changed my plan without my consent to the new limited data plan and I can't do anything about it. So I think I'll be switching to spring very very shortly.

I was VERY against the idea of buying an iphone. I'm not an apple fan at all, but at the time, the 3gs was the best (really the only) option in the smartphone market. Now there are many contenders, but to be honest, I don't anything works as well as the iphone. My girlfriend has the Evo 4G and I've spent a lot of time getting to know it. Android is very clunky in comparison to iOS in my opinion. The android marketplace doesn't have nearly the amount of quality apps as the appstore does. Just finding a simple, clean weather or camera app is near impossible. The keyboard isn't as intuitive, it's lacking heavily in the game department.

Not to say that the iphone doesn't have its shortcomings, but I've worked around the very few of them by jailbreaking.

If I switch to sprint and the new 4s is cheap enough, I might consider picking it up but not without seriously considering the other options first as there are so many now compared to when I first bought my iphone As far as networks go, what's more important is the area you live in - not the phone. I can tell you at&t service has dropped off severely in the past 2 years in the east bay. And sprint seems to get service in places I don't in general.

Old October 4th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I actually quite enjoy the android system, it really depends on what phone you get though. The HTC inspire is the most popular when I have customers switching from iphone to android because its OS is so smooth. I have an iphone and android and I would take a jailbroken iphone over any android any day. However, if I was unable to jailbreak, I would probably go with Android.

As far as android being clunky, it really depends on the phone itself. Like I said, HTC does an amazing job at keeping things smooth. I currently have the Motorola Atrix (hoping to win an LG thrill soon) and even though it has a dual core 1ghz, the OS is just not smooth. It functions perfectly but doesn't have the smooth factor. The android OS also has far more powerful apps than the iphone. I've also noticed that typing on my Atrix is far easier than the iphone. For whatever reason, android always knows exactly what I was trying to type whereas the iphone turns small spelling mistakes into retarded words.

If you call 611 and complain your ass off about losing your unlimited plan you may be able to get it back. And if you PM me your address I can file a complaint about dropped calls for you
AFM #676

Old October 4th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #4
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

Haha! I used to work for AT&T... Years ago.

I don't think I'll be getting the 4s. It'll just be a waste of an upgrade. I'm currently on a jailbroken ip4. A lot better than before. I do, however, want to try the SGS2. I've tried android before on the captivate and the battery disappointed me.
[#4]
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoED View Post
Haha! I used to work for AT&T... Years ago.

I don't think I'll be getting the 4s. It'll just be a waste of an upgrade. I'm currently on a jailbroken ip4. A lot better than before. I do, however, want to try the SGS2. I've tried android before on the captivate and the battery disappointed me.
Good luck getting one in CA
AFM #676

Old October 5th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #6
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Good luck getting one in CA
Can't be sold out!
Maybe I'll try one of those window phones.. They look decent.
[#4]

Old October 5th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoED View Post
Can't be sold out!
Maybe I'll try one of those window phones.. They look decent.
Samsung decided not to release them in CA.

Windows phones.... are actually really really cool. If you are looking for a responsive and simple smartphone then a windows phone is perfect for you.
AFM #676

Last futzed with by Jiggles; October 5th, 2011 at 12:41 PM.

Old October 5th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #8
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

created by me...lol..bored status..

i have an android and love it
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #9
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Currently on jailbroken iPhone 4 and will get the 4S. I think they're biggest mistake is calling it the 4S. Obviously they don't change the look of the phone, but they pretty much upgraded everything. Dual core A5, 1080p recording, upgraded camera that's better than most point and shoots, Siri, iCloud, etc. On AT&T, I'm grandfathered into unlimited and the 4S works on HSPA so theoretical downloads speeds up to 14.4 mb.

For iPhone 4'ers out there who are jailbroken, they are already working on porting Siri over.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #10
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

Upgrading to the 64gb White iPhone 4S on launch day. I am signing up for a new contract with a workaround to get unlimited data. The new phone is twice as fast on ATT over verizon/sprint and it also supports multitasking so the carrier is no question. I have had a 32gb white 3GS for two years with no service, so it will definitely be a nice upgrade.
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #11
CynicalC

While the hardware was updated, the overall design hasn't changed as it did between the 3 and 4. The changes are equivalent to the changes between the 3g, and 3gs. You can expect more significant design changes when they roll out an iphone 5. (a much bigger screen for one)

Old October 5th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #12
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitethrill View Post
Upgrading to the 64gb White iPhone 4S on launch day. I am signing up for a new contract with a workaround to get unlimited data. The new phone is twice as fast on ATT over verizon/sprint and it also supports multitasking so the carrier is no question. I have had a 32gb white 3GS for two years with no service, so it will definitely be a nice upgrade.
What's your "workaround"?

Old October 5th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #13
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
What's your "workaround"?
Obtain new/blank sim card (can be had for free)
Insert sim into first generation iPhone
Activate at home in iTunes. Sign up for the only data plan available, $20 per month for unlimited texting/data.
Go into Apple store and purchase iPhone 4S on launch day at 8am.
Upgrade your new and existing ATT account to the $30 unlimited data plan you have just been grandfathered into.
Enjoy.

- Hax with a little knowledge
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #14
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitethrill View Post
Obtain new/blank sim card (can be had for free)
Insert sim into first generation iPhone
Activate at home in iTunes. Sign up for the only data plan available, $20 per month for unlimited texting/data.
Go into Apple store and purchase iPhone 4S on launch day at 8am.
Upgrade your new and existing ATT account to the $30 unlimited data plan you have just been grandfathered into.
Enjoy.

- Hax with a little knowledge
I don't fully understand that 5th step but

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #15
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

android FTW 100%, i got the SGSII, for sprint .. got like a week or 2 ago, its a nice phone.. huge screen. im waiting for the nexus prime now though google phones are usually the best when it comes to android. my nexus s is still probably the fastest phone when it comes to testing it on benchamrk scores and all.. its overclocked and running cm7 also but.. one cool feature that has had me using the nexus s again is they always get the first updates, so its running the official 2.3.7 which has google wallet, i can use the nexus s and swipe it anywhere that has a blink reader to pay for things.. pretty cool feature. pull out your phone and swipe at the register or pump and it deducts direct from your bank or cc.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #16
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

iphone // iphone 3g // iphone 3gs // iphone 4 // iphone 4s...

They [apple] are distributing incremental updated hardware via the "s" designation. Just wait if you want or go get something else that will compel you.

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #17
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

I have ATT iPhone 4 and will be upgrading on 11/30 when I'm eligible. I was disappointed with 4S but honestly, I'm happy with 4. I'm a gadget whore for the latest and shiniest toys and gotta have it. I've also been selling my previous iPhones (and wife's too) for over $300 every time there is a new release. Upgrades are $200 so I still net $100. Who can complain about that?
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #18
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
android FTW 100%, i got the SGSII, for sprint .. got like a week or 2 ago, its a nice phone.. huge screen. im waiting for the nexus prime now though google phones are usually the best when it comes to android. my nexus s is still probably the fastest phone when it comes to testing it on benchamrk scores and all.. its overclocked and running cm7 also but.. one cool feature that has had me using the nexus s again is they always get the first updates, so its running the official 2.3.7 which has google wallet, i can use the nexus s and swipe it anywhere that has a blink reader to pay for things.. pretty cool feature. pull out your phone and swipe at the register or pump and it deducts direct from your bank or cc.
Is Google wallet accepted to most places now?
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #19
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

well around me, wawa takes them which is pretty popular around here for gas/food/drinks.. 7eleven, home depots, few other gas stations, google has a locator if you type your zip in who takes it but i mainly use at the pump cause its so easy. anywhere that has those blink readers for the credit cards with the chips in them like chase and citi cards. and the cool thing when you first sign up, they give you $10!! that got me 2 redbulls and a pack of gum loL! supposedly nexus s is the only android phone capable of using this feature because of its NFC chip thats built in.

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #20
CynicalC

Quote:
well around me, wawa takes them which is pretty popular around here for gas/food/drinks.. 7eleven, home depots, few other gas stations, google has a locator if you type your zip in who takes it but i mainly use at the pump cause its so easy. anywhere that has those blink readers for the credit cards with the chips in them like chase and citi cards. and the cool thing when you first sign up, they give you $10!! that got me 2 redbulls and a pack of gum loL! supposedly nexus s is the only android phone capable of using this feature because of its NFC chip thats built in.
Most credit cards have that feature now. At the very, very few places that have the blink readers, I can just wave my wallet over the thing. Also, the cards come with little stick on chips that you can just stick to any phone. So that whole thing about it being built into the phone isn't a real huge selling point.

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #21
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I have a 3GS and probably won't upgrade. I'm in a financial bind right now, but even if I wasn't, I'd probably wait until the 5 comes out.

As far as people saying that the camera will be a point-and-shoot killer, I don't see that happening. Sure, maybe if you're comparing the 4s to a 5 year old camera, but today's point and shoots are still far superior to what the the iphone 4s is capable of.

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #22
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Most credit cards have that feature now. At the very, very few places that have the blink readers, I can just wave my wallet over the thing. Also, the cards come with little stick on chips that you can just stick to any phone. So that whole thing about it being built into the phone isn't a real huge selling point.

well one thing is you dont need to have one of the few cc that have the chip, you can link it to your bank acct or google has a prepaid card. and blink readers are growing in popularity. plus i wouldnt say its a selling point as the nexus s has been out for over a year but its a cool feature that will be available on most newer android phones im sure. plus having a NFC chip does other things also like it can read information from "smart" tags, or everyday objects that have NFC chips in them. These can be anything from stickers and movie posters to t-shirts.

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #23
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
but to be honest, I don't anything works as well as the iphone.
This.

I have worked on many phones. Iphones rule.

I loved my 3G that thing was awesome for a long time.

I haven't figured out how to jailbreak my iphone 4 yet dammit. Not enough time lately.

Jailbroken iphones are amazing. I used to take video better than Gopro with my 3G jailbroken. Nobody will believe that accept the people who used to see it.

Won't be buying a 4s... just got my 4 not long ago and it's point and shoot camera works fine.

I know somebody who just got a white 4 two weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

We're waiting on the iphone 5.

Verizon ftw
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #24
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Can I borrow your phone?

I don't want my financial info on mine. It's bad enough they text me my billing info at verizon.

I can probably get them to stop I think but it is kinda handy.

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #25
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

As someone who is still using the 3g, I'll probably be buying the 4s. I was hoping for the 5, but since I'm switching carriers anyway I might as well. I'm just getting way too many dropped calls with AT&T
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #26
ninja250
You are sleeping

AT&T was terrible with dropped calls.

I don't think I've dropped a single call on my veriphone4

I pay for that mobile broadband thing too so I can take my laptop anywhere and browse online with it using my iphone as the mobile hotspot.

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #27
ninja250
You are sleeping

PS I think the people that upgrade are doing it wrong.
Get a new phone when you need it. Don't upgrade because one is newer with better features.

Phones get broken and ruined fast enough.

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #28
Honko
ninjette.org sage

But Apple is banking on people to do just that.....and they do lol. I haven't actually started looking at plans yet but what plan do you have and how much is it with Verizon?

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #29
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Samsung decided not to release them in CA.

Windows phones.... are actually really really cool. If you are looking for a response and simple smartphone then a windows phone is perfect for you.
Oh, didn't know that.

My cousin had a WP phone. HTC surround I think. I played with it and I liked it. I hear this Mango is good. So I definitely wanna try that out
[#4]

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #30
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
If one more person asks me that damn question, I'm going to go on a bloodthirsty mission to slaughter Apple fans.

Anyway, are you going to get the iPhone 4S? Do you have an iPhone? Do you want one? Is android better? Which network is best for the iPhone (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint)? Are you a Jailbreaker?

Discuss
I don't have an iPhone, but I'm glad the iPhone 4S is coming out. That means that the older versions are going to (hopefully) be cheaper soon. Being the owner of an iPod Touch, I am very familiar with the operating system.

I use the Wi-Fi on my iPod Touch so much that I don't even use it for listening to music anymore. Really, I just use my iTouch for notes and internet.

I'd love to get an iPhone, it wouldn't be worth it for me to pay for all the high-end stuff the iPhone 4 or 4S has.

I'd gladly take the iPhone 3G or even the very original iPhone, and it would still be a enormous upgrade compared to my PoS LG phone.

Nothing against Android, but I'm all too familiar with the iPhone OS and I'm so used to Safari. I'm a big fan of Google too.

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #31
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I'm just worried the iOS5 will cripple the 3GS like iOS4 did to the 3g. The 3g was slow enough, but it became even slower with the iOS4. It wouldn't surprise me they do it on purpose to force old gen users to upgrade.

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #32
Honko
ninjette.org sage

That's why I'm glad I don't keep up to the minute on the updates haha. I hadn't downloaded the iOS4 update for my 3g and everyone was saying how much it slowed down the phone, so I never did.

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #33
Heed

what would be an upgrade that doesn't cost much more than this? haha

http://www.amazon.com/LG-VX11000-Con...7841036&sr=8-1

This thing is terrible.

Freezes, shuts down on it's own, lose all your notes randomly. makes calls from your pants (lock system doesn't work). no more LG phones for me.

Old October 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #34
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
The maximum theoretical download speed of the iP4S on AT&T is 14.4 Mbps, on Verizon its 1.5Mbps. I did some testing with my brothers iP4 on verizon. His phone's max download speed was 1.2Mbps, My iP4's max was 6.1Mbps, and my Atrix's max (4g HSPA+) was 9.9Mbps.

Verizon has better 3g coverage but AT&T is up to 8x faster. What's really interesting is that the iP4S is dual band CDMA and GSM. I'm going to bet that some awesome jailbreak stuff can be done with that combination. This is also going to make it easier for people to switch from one carrier to another. All you would have to do is pay the early termination fee, which is $375 and you can move to whatever provider you want. Upgrading and then ending your contract would net you $75 savings over buying the iP4S without a contract.

As far as using the 2g iPhone to get an unlimited data plan, I'm sorry to tell you this, but it totally works . However, if you go over 4gb of data, AT&T starts to keep track of you and if you tether to a laptop then they will switch your plan. They do give you a one month warning though, so just cut down your usage for the next month and then you can start tethering again.

Heed, are you eligible for an upgrade?

Oh yeah, windows 7 mango is really cool too
AFM #676

Old October 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #35
Heed

Quote:
Heed, are you eligible for an upgrade?
probably not until a few months

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #36
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

would you still buy it? I just read on yahoo breaking news that steve jobs passed away. RIP.

Will apple decline?
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #37
Heed

^^ i feel so sad, idk why. he seemed like an awesome guy.

i don't think Apple is going to decline very much if at all. now i really want an iphone >.<

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Steve Jobs stopped working for apple a couple months ago.
AFM #676

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #39
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
My schedule just got revised. 12 hour shift the day pre-orders start, 14 hour shift the day the iPhone launches.

Yippee
AFM #676

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #40
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Steve Jobs stopped working for apple a couple months ago.
In fact, he went on medical leave (for the third time) in January; Tim Cook has been steering the ship for nearly a year.

I've seen nothing (either via mainstream press or via personal experience) to indicate that Tim will do anything other than continue Apple's stellar path. Internally we certainly have faith in him.

I haven't personally used the 4S hardware but iOS 5 is pretty darned cool, and I would encourage people to upgrade. And hopefully you'll all like the Setup Assistant that lets you register without tethering to iTunes. Don't forget to sign up for iCloud!