Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 26th, 2020, 11:40 AM   #1
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

After 8 Years, My Bike was Stolen

UPDATE: HE'S BEEN RECOVERED!!! I'm in the process of fixing him back up.

So 3 days ago, I went outside and discovered that my 2019 Honda Rebel 500 was stolen. ****ing sucks, just got the thing but at least I have theft insurance. They didn't touch my Ninja. He's old and all busted up and dusty (and doesn't even run right now) so I figured they didn't bother.

Went out, bought a big ol' bike chain while I waited for my wheel locks to come in the mail.

Well, went out today, my ninja is gone too. They must've cut the lock and just picked him up because he's gone without a trace.
I'm so ****ing mad. I was going to fix him up with this free time I have and I just.
That's my baby. Y'all understand. My first bike, 8 years of riding. Painted him myself and now he's probably getting chopped by some greasy rat bastards.

I'm so mad. And sad.

Last futzed with by Daks; April 17th, 2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: update
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2020, 12:42 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I'm so sorry for your losses.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2020, 01:06 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Daks that really really sucks! I hope you have gotten the police involved.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2020, 05:36 PM   #4
JFMNINJA400
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): GSXR 750, GSXR 600, Ninja 400, Ninja 300

Wow that’s crazy, they came back and took the other bike!!! That’s some balls right there. I would be fuming ....... sorry for your losses.
JFMNINJA400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2020, 10:31 PM   #5
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Sorry to hear that man hopefully the cops are aware eventually something will turn up.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2020, 11:35 PM   #6
Daks
Jersey Devil

Yeah I filed police reports for both as soon as I found out they were each gone. The Rebel I had theft insurance on but I was hard up for cash over the winter so I dropped it on the ninja, which was and is currently not ridable. I didn't anticipate ****ers coming into a gated complex, finding my bike between cars in covered parking, and cutting the lock but I guess that's a lesson learned.

Which I mean, with old 250 with a 33k odo and a blown engine there are harder costs to swallow but that bike meant so much to me.

Apparently Austin is seeing a lot of motorcycle theft right now. I wonder if it's everyone getting their bikes out for riding weather and then people capitalizing on everyone staying home and less cops patrolling with the pandemic.

Talked to some other victims who were more baffled than anything as to why their bikes would get stolen. Old, unpopular bikes with no great resale value or valuable parts, brand new bikes with low miles and no keys but would be weird to part out, cheap broken bikes with extremely distinctive paint jobs.
They seem to be grabbing any and every bike they can, even **** that makes little to no sense. Maybe that's par for the course on bike thieves but I'm just hoping they get sloppy soon.

Old March 27th, 2020, 07:01 AM   #7
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Whenever I see these threads I think "great, another apartment dweller parking outside." I personally made it a point to not own a motorcycle until I owned a garage to keep it in. Because it's just asking for trouble,

But you live in a gated complex? How did they get in then? Any video cameras around?

And WTF!! They stole a non running old gen ninja?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 27th, 2020, 07:50 AM   #8
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Sorry about your stolen bikes! Bike thieves are lowest form of scum!!!

In S.F., it's not uncommon for bike to get stolen off street in broad daylight. Most folks have some sort of motion-sensitive alarm for when bike's lifted onto back of truck.

We had rash of theft here while back. One guy I knew moved to house with garage. Then he drilled into garage floor to install big eyebolt. Then chained his bikes to eyebolt with one of those solid-link cables! Along with loud-ass alarm!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2020, 09:16 AM   #9
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

i leave the key in mine when parked at home. its in an unlocked shop. in a yard with two pit-bulls and a doberman-pincher. i never worry about my bike when parked at home. when i park it out and about, i just take the key with me and take my chances.

i
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2020, 09:51 AM   #10
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Whenever I see these threads I think "great, another apartment dweller parking outside." I personally made it a point to not own a motorcycle until I owned a garage to keep it in. Because it's just asking for trouble,

But you live in a gated complex? How did they get in then? Any video cameras around?

And WTF!! They stole a non running old gen ninja?
I had my bike garaged for 6 years before I moved. Was I supposed to get rid of it when I couldn't get a garage?
Prevention is worth a lot but it's still not the owner's fault their property got stolen. It's on the thief.
I did as much due diligence as I could. 2 years here with no issues.
But recently the neighborhood has gotten sketchier than ever and I think a neighbor or worker cased me out. The gates are "broken" a lot, left open now.

Over the holidays a worker let themselves into the office and stole everyone's packages. Yes, all the xmas gifts and everything. Someone had a whole brand new golf-cart stolen like a week after they got it here. Someone also had a truck stolen.

I only learned about these thefts when I talked to people about my bikes getting stolen. Like wtf complex I would have liked to know about the apparent recent rampant vehicle theft before this???

Anyway my bikes were in the innermost area of the complex, no view from the streets in any direction. Between cars, under a metal carport roof. Someone had to walk by and see them or be told they were there. Also according to the front office, that parking area is the least covered by cameras (of course, thanks for telling me NOW), so if it is someone who works here, they'd know that.

But alas, all speculation.

Old March 27th, 2020, 09:57 AM   #11
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Sorry about your stolen bikes! Bike thieves are lowest form of scum!!!

In S.F., it's not uncommon for bike to get stolen off street in broad daylight. Most folks have some sort of motion-sensitive alarm for when bike's lifted onto back of truck.

We had rash of theft here while back. One guy I knew moved to house with garage. Then he drilled into garage floor to install big eyebolt. Then chained his bikes to eyebolt with one of those solid-link cables! Along with loud-ass alarm!!
Yeah I have wheel locks now (CAME A DAY TOO LATE FOR MY NINJA UGH) but I'm debating on an alarm one when I get a bike back (or a new one). The silent locks wouldn't have stopped much now that I know they must've just lifted my ninja.
I was absolutely home and probably awake when my bikes were stolen and it drives me ****ing nuts knowing that if an alarm went off I would've known.

Old March 27th, 2020, 03:13 PM   #12
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
I had my bike garaged for 6 years before I moved. Was I supposed to get rid of it when I couldn't get a garage?
I don't think you would like my answer to that. Yes. Part of owning a bike is also owning a place to put it.

There was a time many years ago when I was in that situation and while I did not get rid of my bikes, I kept them off site in a relative's garage and only rode them on weekends for enjoyment.

On the forums, I've been tracking motorcycle thefts for quite a few years now. Store your bike outside, get it stolen. It's really only a matter of time.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 27th, 2020, 03:31 PM   #13
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Yeah I filed police reports for both as soon as I found out they were each gone. The Rebel I had theft insurance on but I was hard up for cash over the winter so I dropped it on the ninja, which was and is currently not ridable. I didn't anticipate ****ers coming into a gated complex, finding my bike between cars in covered parking, and cutting the lock but I guess that's a lesson learned.

Which I mean, with old 250 with a 33k odo and a blown engine there are harder costs to swallow but that bike meant so much to me.

Apparently Austin is seeing a lot of motorcycle theft right now. I wonder if it's everyone getting their bikes out for riding weather and then people capitalizing on everyone staying home and less cops patrolling with the pandemic.

Talked to some other victims who were more baffled than anything as to why their bikes would get stolen. Old, unpopular bikes with no great resale value or valuable parts, brand new bikes with low miles and no keys but would be weird to part out, cheap broken bikes with extremely distinctive paint jobs.
They seem to be grabbing any and every bike they can, even **** that makes little to no sense. Maybe that's par for the course on bike thieves but I'm just hoping they get sloppy soon.
Eventually they will get caught it's not a guaranteed job security for them. Thieves are short lived, I used to live in the East Bay in Norcal and my car and tools were stolen from me in a garage-gated complex with cameras in both entry and exit points. Other peoples cars were broken into as well and it went on for many years. I had a suspicion that our maintenance man in the complex were letting people in because every-time the cops were called he was always around the area sweeping. Long story short the same guy got caught giving his access card to thieves a block away from my complex.

Old March 27th, 2020, 08:22 PM   #14
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
I don't think you would like my answer to that. Yes. Part of owning a bike is also owning a place to put it.

There was a time many years ago when I was in that situation and while I did not get rid of my bikes, I kept them off site in a relative's garage and only rode them on weekends for enjoyment.

On the forums, I've been tracking motorcycle thefts for quite a few years now. Store your bike outside, get it stolen. It's really only a matter of time.
I moved to Austin and have no family here and no close friends with garages. What do you want from me, oh king of doing everything right always? Yes, my liege...you are so right...let me kiss your feet in penance for my ignorance.

I've been told my whole life that I should just dress in dumpy clothes and never go out or make myself known if I don't want to get assaulted.
Guess what, I still have fun and live my life. Not my fault someone steals my bike. Not my fault I've been groped.

go bury your head.

Old March 27th, 2020, 08:26 PM   #15
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
Eventually they will get caught it's not a guaranteed job security for them. Thieves are short lived, I used to live in the East Bay in Norcal and my car and tools were stolen from me in a garage-gated complex with cameras in both entry and exit points. Other peoples cars were broken into as well and it went on for many years. I had a suspicion that our maintenance man in the complex were letting people in because every-time the cops were called he was always around the area sweeping. Long story short the same guy got caught giving his access card to thieves a block away from my complex.
Me and a few more people who had bikes stolen (up to 8 in one week! and that's just people posting about it online) and we already have some leads on the mfers.

I hate Ring doorbell's commodification of your home security but dang if they aren't helpful when a neighbor has one pointed at your bike.

Came here to commiserate but so far I've gotten the stellar advice of, "If you don't want your motorcycle to be stolen, get rid of it" but thanks to all those who did understand this as a vent thread.

Old March 27th, 2020, 10:16 PM   #16
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Me and a few more people who had bikes stolen (up to 8 in one week! and that's just people posting about it online) and we already have some leads on the mfers.

I hate Ring doorbell's commodification of your home security but dang if they aren't helpful when a neighbor has one pointed at your bike.

Came here to commiserate but so far I've gotten the stellar advice of, "If you don't want your motorcycle to be stolen, get rid of it" but thanks to all those who did understand this as a vent thread.
That's good you got leads it's just a matter of time. Imagine those thieves getting caught they will never get a decent paying job lol. Speaking of a stolen bike, this morning I found out my co -worker got his ninja 250 stolen a few days ago out of his garage in SF. They found it today a few blocks from his home without a battery so I gave him my backup battery. They also caught the guy because a random person took snapshot of the thief holding the battery somewhere near where the bike was dumped lol

Old March 28th, 2020, 12:13 AM   #17
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
That's good you got leads it's just a matter of time. Imagine those thieves getting caught they will never get a decent paying job lol. Speaking of a stolen bike, this morning I found out my co -worker got his ninja 250 stolen a few days ago out of his garage in SF. They found it today a few blocks from his home without a battery so I gave him my backup battery. They also caught the guy because a random person took snapshot of the thief holding the battery somewhere near where the bike was dumped lol
What a dumbo lmao. Yeah my ninja was sitting for months and I may have even disconnected the battery so it was totally dead. And the petcock was set to off so there was no way they rode it out unless they had a spare. Even then the engine was so shot that the power fluctuated constantly and made it near impossible to ride.

There are a lot of good places to dump a bike around here but it's hard to check them all. If they don't chop it, it'll be dumped for sure. Cheap bike, distinctive custom paintjob, busted to hell.

Unfortunately if these are the same guys, they seem to be putting them in a truck and taking them somewhere so the likelihood of it being around my neighborhood is slim.

Old March 28th, 2020, 08:36 AM   #18
CrateCookie
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Edwin

Motorcycle(s): 650R

being in a locked garage is no protection, either

Earlier this week, someone kicked in the side door to our attached garage and tried to steal my bike. What kept them from stealing it was them not being able to roll it between our cars that were also parked in it (2 car garage, no much room). So, the dropped it onto the side of my wife's car and left. We didn't hear anything because it is on the opposite side of the house from where we sleep. Only thing touched was the bike, nothing in either car, so i'm betting it is one of the neighbor kids.
CrateCookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2020, 03:29 PM   #19
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I guess I better put some cameras in garage. Have them covering front-door after some Christmas deliveries were stolen from front porch. Turned out it was Fedex contractors following UPS trucks around and swiping their deliveries!!!

Old March 28th, 2020, 03:30 PM   #20
NorthernNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Damn man that sucks. I'm glad I live in a place where there's not much theft.
NorthernNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2020, 06:32 PM   #21
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Very sorry both bikes were stolen especially your baby. I know some ppl can be harsh. You didn't set out to have them stolen despite what ppl say how it was stored. Hope they find something out so you can at least get some answers.

Old March 29th, 2020, 07:53 AM   #22
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I don't mean to victim blame here, but after the first bike was stolen, did you move the second bike? I saw that you were working on some measures for security, but damn.

The second that first bike was gone, the second bike would have been in my living room.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2020, 04:17 PM   #23
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Ugh- that sucks donkey balls.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:20 AM   #24
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Thank goodness for every Captain Hindsight in this thread, some of which don't even ride anymore (I wonder why). This thread is truly better for your words. I'll now sign the pink slip and leave out my key and leave out a plate of milk and cookies for the thief because it's my fault for owning a motorcycle as a means of cheap transportation without a garage. Why, oh why, did I choose to be poor?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2020, 10:32 AM   #25
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

This makes me so MAD!

It also got me thinking about the camera idea for people in apartments.... I don't know how viable these are, but here are my thoughts:

1) If you have a window that's close enough with a view of your bike's space, place camera in window.

2) If you have a strong enough wifi signal, this might be a good application for something like the battery-powered Ring (or similar) camera. Assuming you're parking in an assigned covered spot, affix camera to the carport (up to you if you want to run it by management first).
2a) If you can get nerdy with the network equipment, add a mesh access point to your balcony, as well as further out on the grounds if possible. If you can't put equipment outside your unit maybe there are neighbors who share your concern that will let you put an AP on their balcony too (side effects include awesome WiFi on the pool deck).
3) If you find a camera solution, place a sign in your spot warning about camera (may not be worth it if it's only a bluff, and may have issues if not approved by management).

4) Snakes, scorpions, alligators....

I don't know, man. Wish I could fix it for you.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:01 PM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Thank goodness for every Captain Hindsight in this thread, some of which don't even ride anymore (I wonder why). This thread is truly better for your words. I'll now sign the pink slip and leave out my key and leave out a plate of milk and cookies for the thief because it's my fault for owning a motorcycle as a means of cheap transportation without a garage. Why, oh why, did I choose to be poor?
I see those shots you fired

The reason I don't ride anymore is because a kid my family knew got killed 1/4 mile the road from our house by a drunk driver at 11:00 at night. Driver refused the breathalyzer because he was a lawyer and knew a lack of proof and a night in jail was easier for his career than blowing >0.08 after killing a kid. Was a bit of an eye opener to me. When I got married and started thinking of someone besides just myself, I decided the motorcycle was the low hanging fruit in terms of dangerous hobbies to get rid of.

And yes, when I lived in an apartment, I actually kept my bike in my living room with me.

Put the ruler down before you embarrass yourself.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2020, 01:06 PM   #27
Daks
Jersey Devil

GUYS THEY FOUND HIM!!!!

He's all ****ed up and painted over him but he's coming home.

I need to figure out how to secure him. I live in a 2nd floor apartment and really debated on pulling him up and putting him on my balcony but I don't know the weight rating on it. But a ninjette is what, 400lbs wet? Surely a balcony could hold 2 200lb men. But it would be a very tight squeeze, lol.

And honestly I did my best to secure him after my first bike was stolen. I really thought the first was just a crime of opportunity because I thought I may have forgotten to lock the handlebars after washing it. It was a brand new bike and my ninjette is nigh worthless to anyone but me. Still I threw an extra lock around the ninjette and the carport post, the bars were locked, and I parked my car close (but not too close because I can't unlock the driver door so I need to be able to open the passenger side. It's a coupe so it has a bit of a wingspan). But there's not a lot else I can do as a single person who is 5'0" and weights 110lbs. Not getting it up the stairs myself, lol.
Bike doesn't run so I couldn't really put it at a friend's or anything.

Did my best and the thieves bested it. But they couldn't best a blown head gasket lmaoooo

anyway I'm stoked. It's gonna cost like 3x as much as the bike is worth to fix him but it's worth every penny to me.

Old April 14th, 2020, 01:11 PM   #28
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
This makes me so MAD!

It also got me thinking about the camera idea for people in apartments.... I don't know how viable these are, but here are my thoughts:

1) If you have a window that's close enough with a view of your bike's space, place camera in window.

2) If you have a strong enough wifi signal, this might be a good application for something like the battery-powered Ring (or similar) camera. Assuming you're parking in an assigned covered spot, affix camera to the carport (up to you if you want to run it by management first).
2a) If you can get nerdy with the network equipment, add a mesh access point to your balcony, as well as further out on the grounds if possible. If you can't put equipment outside your unit maybe there are neighbors who share your concern that will let you put an AP on their balcony too (side effects include awesome WiFi on the pool deck).
3) If you find a camera solution, place a sign in your spot warning about camera (may not be worth it if it's only a bluff, and may have issues if not approved by management).

4) Snakes, scorpions, alligators....

I don't know, man. Wish I could fix it for you.
I actually have a window that looks right under the carport and I'm gonna park the bike there for now. I could potentially hang a camera off my balcony under it, too. Unfortunately faces don't matter as much as plates so it's hard to figure out the best way to do it. I could put a camera in my car, which is almost always parked next to them. I'd just have to make sure they don't try to get in there, as well.

Old April 14th, 2020, 01:12 PM   #29
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I see those shots you fired

The reason I don't ride anymore is because a kid my family knew got killed 1/4 mile the road from our house by a drunk driver at 11:00 at night. Driver refused the breathalyzer because he was a lawyer and knew a lack of proof and a night in jail was easier for his career than blowing >0.08 after killing a kid. Was a bit of an eye opener to me. When I got married and started thinking of someone besides just myself, I decided the motorcycle was the low hanging fruit in terms of dangerous hobbies to get rid of.

And yes, when I lived in an apartment, I actually kept my bike in my living room with me.

Put the ruler down before you embarrass yourself.
That kid shouldn't have owned a motorcycle if he didn't want a drunk driver to kill him.

Old April 15th, 2020, 01:49 AM   #30
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Hey, give the gal a break. **** happens, but you should never be in fear of your hard won personal belongings being stolen from your own property. We need to go back to the old days of hanging horse thieves. If anyone stole mine, I’d track them down & burry them, which is what they deserve.

Up north in the UK a few years ago, you could hire an A-Team. There had been a large number of bike thefts, so the A-Team, used to plant a juicy bike in plain sight & wait in a van near it over night. When the crooks took the bait, they would pop out beat the crap out of them with bats, then call the cops & leave the perpetrators tied up for the cops to arrest. As always the cops were more interested in catching the A-Team for doing the cops job & making them look bad, than nailing the thieving scum to the wall

So leave the gal alone with your smart arsed comments & work on your own A-Team.

Sorry to hear your bikes were stolen, I hope your leads pan out & you get the bad guys caught & hopefully recover you bikes.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2020, 04:22 AM   #31
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I guess I better put some cameras in garage. Have them covering front-door after some Christmas deliveries were stolen from front porch. Turned out it was Fedex contractors following UPS trucks around and swiping their deliveries!!!
FedEx drivers are horrible. i think most couldn't pass a drug test either.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2020, 03:57 PM   #32
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Can you park the bike behind the car and lock it to the car (the bumper, tire, etc.)?

Old April 15th, 2020, 04:09 PM   #33
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Another cheap thought.... I have a motion sensor in my garage with a alarm in the house (detached). My dad put his motion sensor in his van. If you could put a motion sensor in the car facing the bike and the alarm in the apartment you might be able to catch someone tampering with it. Same for a camera, put a motion camera in the car facing the bike.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Safety-T...iABEgL4xfD_BwE

Old April 15th, 2020, 07:49 PM   #34
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I had the same thought, a motion-sensor that makes noise. They make them for the brake-disc locks. And chain it to something that doesn't move.

And yay for getting your baby back!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2020, 06:51 AM   #35
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Another thing to add with the motion sensor disc lock is a cover.

I've read a couple or articles about bike theft in the UK and studies over there show that the most effective deterrent is a cover.

Beyond that GPS trackers have gotten cheaper in the past few years. Won't stop the bike from being stolen, but gives you a much better chance of getting it back.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2020, 01:26 PM   #36
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Another thing to add with the motion sensor disc lock is a cover.

I've read a couple or articles about bike theft in the UK and studies over there show that the most effective deterrent is a cover.

Beyond that GPS trackers have gotten cheaper in the past few years. Won't stop the bike from being stolen, but gives you a much better chance of getting it back.
I actually did get a cover that was incidentally on the way in the mail when the ninja was stolen lol.
It's on it now, but mostly for keeping it out of the rain and my neighbor's sake because I've stripped down all the plastics and tank. So it's kinda ugly to look at. Anyone who peeks is probably gonna realize it's not worth taking either way.

Definitely planning on GPS and a hard-wired alarm when he looks worth it again.

--

Anyway, I think I'll turn this thread into a progress thread about fixing him? Or maybe a brand new thread would be more appropriate to put the earlier discussion aside.
So far restoring the paint has been going really well.

Old May 8th, 2020, 04:26 AM   #37
Jamieb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jamie

Motorcycle(s): EX250 J

I know your pain.
I once had a Cb250rs and a Dr350 both stolen within 6 weeks of each other. They had both been fully restored and we're stolen for no other purpose than ragging round a field before being set on fire. I didn't have theft cover as it cost more than what I paid for the bikes. I also had to pay recovery and storage fees for both bikes as the police insist on getting expensive recovery companies to drag the remains from where they were found. I also had to fight the DVLA as to why I wouldn't pay tax on the bikes but could not provide a disposal certificate.

I did not have a garage at the time as the property market in England is slim pickings. My bikes were locked with 2x chains, 2 ground anchors and disc locks on both as well as being trapped between my van and a wall. Inside a gated complex with Cctv and a security guard. Odd there was a different guard working at the time and the cameras were down...

Unfortunately I think thieves will always steal what they want regardless of how secure it is. They always have a way.

Shame we're not allowed to remove body parts as punishment. Over here if little scruffs get caught doing serious damage to property they get nothing more than a warning. We're not even allowed to cement glass shards on top of walls anymore because if a scumbag hurts himself climbing over it the property owner is liable.

Rant over
Jamieb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2020, 09:40 AM   #38
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb View Post
I know your pain.
I once had a Cb250rs and a Dr350 both stolen within 6 weeks of each other. They had both been fully restored and we're stolen for no other purpose than ragging round a field before being set on fire. I didn't have theft cover as it cost more than what I paid for the bikes. I also had to pay recovery and storage fees for both bikes as the police insist on getting expensive recovery companies to drag the remains from where they were found. I also had to fight the DVLA as to why I wouldn't pay tax on the bikes but could not provide a disposal certificate.

I did not have a garage at the time as the property market in England is slim pickings. My bikes were locked with 2x chains, 2 ground anchors and disc locks on both as well as being trapped between my van and a wall. Inside a gated complex with Cctv and a security guard. Odd there was a different guard working at the time and the cameras were down...

Unfortunately I think thieves will always steal what they want regardless of how secure it is. They always have a way.

Shame we're not allowed to remove body parts as punishment. Over here if little scruffs get caught doing serious damage to property they get nothing more than a warning. We're not even allowed to cement glass shards on top of walls anymore because if a scumbag hurts himself climbing over it the property owner is liable.

Rant over
Makes me so mad!!!

Sounds like an obvious inside job, as you seem to be implying. Also, a mandatory Jeffery Epstein comment would go here. I hear bike theft specifically has gotten SO BAD over there! If I lived around London I honestly don't think I'd feel safe depending on a MC... maybe if I had a garage and never had to park it outside, which pretty much would rule out riding for transportation to work. But, as you stated, a secure garage is a luxury that's hard to get for many.

We used to be able to hang horse thieves in America, but sadly we've gone to the opposite extreme of that here too (hanging was extreme, but the economic damage and threat to livelihood was more proportional). Sad to hear you in the UK have shifted property-protection laws to favor the criminals just as we have. I guess when criminals are making the laws.....
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2020, 12:38 PM   #39
DannoXYZ

Bike thieves are lowest form of scum! At least there's some good news occasionally.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020...ty-burglaries/