ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #1
birdy
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): 09 Green Ninja 250R

Getting my new Ninja home

Hi all, looking for a little advice. I will be picking up my new bike from the dealer in a week or 2 when it is delivered. I plan on using the motoman break-in and am trying to decide how to get the bike home. The dealer is about 30 miles away over the mountain from where I live. The only way home is on the interstate or a state highway. The interstate is out and but the back highway has so much traffic on it I will be pretty well committed to running with the traffic and won't be able to vary my throttle and engine brake. I odn't have a pickup and none of the uhaul places here have any trailers.How much am I going to hurt my break-in if I have to run 30 miles up the highway to get home? I suppose I could run 5-10 miles and pull off and cool down and try it again til I get home. My main concern is I want to break her in right and get good seal with the rings. Any thoughts? The dealer will charge >$100 to deliver . Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Tnx Pics to follw as soon as she arrives
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #2
kkim

Ted,

How much experience do you have riding bikes? Is that an issue at all?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM   #3
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Ted - do you have a Lowes or Home Depot in your area. They often have little stake trucks you can rent for like $15-20 an hour. If they require you buy something, get a 12' 2x4 or something you can use around the house.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Name: Reeeeee

Motorcycle(s): '06 R6/'08 250R

where in VA are you? I have a motorcycle trailer you can borrow if youre close enough.
Sloppy2nds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #5
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #6
birdy
ninjette.org member

Tnx for the offers. Experience is no prob---I've owned and ridden mini-bikes to Harleys for 40 yrs. My main concern was riding 30 miles on the highway to get home right off the bat would mess up my break-in. I guess I could ride the right lane on the interstate and just watch for traffic and slow down and accelerate when it's clear behind me so I can vary the throttle and engine brake

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
kkim

Ted,

if break in is the issue, have you read this thread? http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ighlight=break

Old March 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

IMO....by the time you probably hit the interstate or highway your bike would have done most of its break in. I am not an engineer by no means just a good base knowledge of ice. I personally would just try to vary my RPMS as best i can. I may be wrong on this but if you dont plan on keeping your bike till 981724678964382974612987463298734698127346 miles or so, a slip on the so called "proper break in" or hitting redline, etc. you would never see the ill effects.

Old March 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

If you're really worried about running a constant speed against motoman's method or having it over the rpm break-in threshold, I'd say pick up the bike early and take the rest of the day and ride around that neighbourhood. Then when the engines fully warmed up and run in a bit, the traffic will have died down and you might be able to stick it out in the right lane.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #10
birdy
ninjette.org member

After reading everything, I think I will just warm it up and hit some of the back county roads for a bit keeping the rpm's up and do some engine braking and then just take her home and not worry about it. My last 3 bikes were Harleys and I was told don't worry about it, just ride and forget it. Never had a problem. I've never owned a bike that ran such high rpm's and and I just want to be sure I'm doing whats best. Thanks for all your input. Hoping my bike comes in this weekend, temps jumping from 6 degrees this morning to 75 by Saturday

Old March 4th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy View Post
After reading everything, I think I will just warm it up and hit some of the back county roads for a bit keeping the rpm's up and do some engine braking and then just take her home and not worry about it.

I'm a believer that you should change your oil early and frequently during break in.

Old March 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy View Post
After reading everything, I think I will just warm it up and hit some of the back county roads for a bit keeping the rpm's up and do some engine braking and then just take her home and not worry about it. My last 3 bikes were Harleys and I was told don't worry about it, just ride and forget it. Never had a problem. I've never owned a bike that ran such high rpm's and and I just want to be sure I'm doing whats best. Thanks for all your input. Hoping my bike comes in this weekend, temps jumping from 6 degrees this morning to 75 by Saturday

charlottesville....not too far from me. we should have a good week of nice warmer temps especially after that snow we just got. hope you get your bike by the weekend.