Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Notices

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #1
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Might get a CBR250 also.

I'm still gonna keep my Ninjette but I'm gonna go buy a Honda CBR250 also.
I want a new GSXR but I don't have ANY credit so they won't help me.
They will finance me a CBR250 with $1000 down though.
They said if I buy and pay off the CBR I will have credit and then can come trade it in as a down payment on the GSXR and they will finance it to me because I will gain credit.

So, I'm gonna use this as a credit builder work bike that will lead me to my GSXR.
This will be how I earn my discipline and get my baby later down the road.
If I want a new GSXR without paying 50% rate, this is the only way I am going to be able to do it.

Sooo,
I'm gonna go save up $1K and pick up a CBR250 I think.
Then I will have the best of both worlds in the 250 class and shouldn't be able to complain much for another two years while I pay it off and get ready for the new GSXR!

I'll let you guys know if I go pick one up. They seem to be selling fast though so I'm wondering if they will even have any more in stock by the time I go to buy it with my $1000.
Here's to gaining credit with the ultimate goal of a GSXR once established!
Very nice inspiration.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #2
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Their are several better ways to gain credit. Look into getting a charge card.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #3
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

If you don't have the credit to buy the bike that you really, why burden your credit even more to get a similar bike that you already have?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #4
ninja250
You are sleeping

The bike I have is a stunt bike.
Any day now it won't go above 50mph.

I need a second bike soon to cover that.
This is the only way I see myself being able to be responsible while learning stunts AND using a bike for work, is to have two bikes dedicated for each aspect respectively.

I'm sick of buying used. New or bust. (yeah I'm one of those guys)

I have a credit card and I guess it still doesn't count?!
I think when it comes to houses and vehicles you're talking a different language?

The way I see it, is if you can get a bike, take it.
You only live life once.
I can afford a cheap Honda and it will help build credit and solve the need for another bike. Then it will apply towards a trade in later or I can sell it for higher and use the money as trade in. They want $3000 down on a $11,500 GSXR 600 anyways for financing to let you roll out the door smiling.

I'll take any new bike I can get now days. I can pay for these cheaper ones easier and it will help build credit. Can't hurt. The gas mileage is crazy if I leave it stock and don't modify it. Can use my ninja for mods and stunts. Learning to take a new bike off the floor responsibly is a tough thing to do also while you are making payments on one. It will be good practice for the GSXR later. If I crash the CBR like I did my ninja while still paying for it, then I know it's probably not a good idea to ever roll a gsxr off the floor new. I would then say I'm not responsible enough for certain. I will consider this move a lesson in discipline as well.

Just gotta come up with a quick $1k before they sell them all at the guys who gave me this deal. They had two in there a few days ago. I wonder how Honda is doing with CBR250 stock. To be honest, I wouldn't mind having both the Ninja 250 and the CBR 250 to play with for a bit. I like them both for different reasons and I can see what we can swap back and fourth.

I gotta get off this bent frame too it's driving me nuts. I live with my mistake every time I ride this bike. I already pay for it enough, sick of thinking about it lol

Thinking about another way..
the second I'm done paying off the CBR, if I don't trash it, I can basically go hand it over for a financed GSXR as a downpayment. Just seems like the easiest way to get one while still having two bikes now to use for play and work, and even adding some into the downpayment of the next bike for later. Good goals and intentions all the way around and I'll be happy like this, as long as I can be responsible enough to not crash and maintain the payments (Like $100 a month! lol)

Old August 29th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

They would have taken my Ninjette as a trade in for the GSXR, had I not bent it while playing around.

Luckily I'm alive for a second chance with the CBR (if I'm luckier).

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #6
"A"
vampire

Unless your stunt bike is making you more money than your commute, probably more practical to make it a commuter and enjoy your commute as much as you can.

Whatever justify your purchase.. it's your money, your credit.. do what you want.

Just seems redundant to me to have two 250cc motorcycles with similar capabilities.

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Wait wait wait. Why get a gixxer 600 when a 750 barely costs any extra??
Posted via Mobile Device
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #8
ninja250
You are sleeping

I wont have them both for long! That's the point.
Ah well, hard to get others to see my point of view 90% of the time.

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #9
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Wait wait wait. Why get a gixxer 600 when a 750 barely costs any extra??
Posted via Mobile Device
Was just being used as an example.

Plus the 600 has the white wheels and goes plenty fast enough..
Hell if they would finance me the black 1K I'll take it right now sell my soul where do I sign!

In his terms they would only let me have a "low dollar amount" bike. As he pointed over my shoulder from his desk at the CBR250. Remember my current bike is a bent framed stuntbike.
That's it's purpose. It's not even like a 250 anymore. Consider it a circus dirtbike.
I don't make money on any of my hobbies. Then they becomes jobs and not fun!
Don't like to make jobs out of my fun hobbies.

If I wanted to make money off motorcycling I'd charge $300 a valve job and $150 per custom shift gauge. I'm bringing in under half of that for both. The costs are for parts and use of my tools and garage and air conditioning and sinks to wash hands and a bed to sleep in during the process. lol

As for credit cards there is a reason my only card has nothing on it.
I don't want anything but a motorcycle. I'd rather try to buy a motorcycle to get credit than buy other things first and beat around the bush to the motorcycle. In the long run I think it's the same but I can ride something new sooner.

I suppose my logic could be flawed as I do have new bike syndrome..
You never know what will happen between today and tomorrow.

Old August 29th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #10
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I say go ahead and do it, even though I expect you'll scuff up the new bike and it won't be worth much on trade anyway

Old August 29th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #11
ninja250
You are sleeping

Meh I'm pretty competent on the open road, You'd be surprised.
As long as I have one for play and one for work, I should realize my time and place very well.

It's when I start to play around I get into troubles.
It seems I need $540 more bones to go in there and start bargaining again.
I'm gonna ask for new gloves too. =P

If I get one, We'll put ninja 250 stickers on it and call it a day.
Adrian' gonna be mad at my ugly CBR.
I didn't see any new Ninjettes for sale anywhere? I been to three big dealers lately.
They must be sold out around here right now.
They come out to be $5500 anyways after taxes. I think the CBr will end up at about $4500

Ps
Here's one for some taste

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #12
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Are you willing to pay someone at least $2500+ in order to build your credit? If you are then do it.

If you end up getting the bike for $5000, the current trade in price for a 2011 cbr250r in good condition is $2,480. http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-...br250r/361773/ This number will not get better in your favor as time goes by.

If you didn't know, a credit score is nothing more than a "I love credit debt" rating. Open a couple of new credit card accounts and run up some debt, don't have any late payments and you will grow that credit score. Just keep in mind that its really easy to get yourself in financial trouble doing this.

Good luck with it.

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #13
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I was going to give financial advice but then decided against it as I feel it would be a waste of my time after reading this thread.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #14
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Just keep in mind that its really easy to get yourself in financial trouble doing this.
Yeah that's my main concern. I think a bike loan debt would be a bit easier to control than a card.

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #15
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
I was going to give financial advice but then decided against it as I feel it would be a waste of my time after reading this thread.
Feel free to elaborate.
I'm all ears at this point.

Keep in mind I don't have cosigners. I am yet again at the mercy of a dealer.

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

The universal advice is both simple, and unerring. Don't finance a bike. Ever. Any justification for why it is a good idea is in fact a bad idea. Financing a bike you don't want to eventually be able to finance a bike that you do want is taking it to the next level.

The only possible exception would be 0% financing with zero pre-payment penalty, when one can pay off the entire note before any interest comes due. Truly any other financial arrangement in financing a bike is just a bad idea all around.

If you can save $1000, you can save $5000. If you can save $5000, why would you want to waste thousands on interest charges?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #17
ninja250
You are sleeping

So you all buy your bikes and cars cash?
If I had $5000 cash I'd buy another fairly nice used GSXR. (and have to put $2000 more into it lol)
I don't have $7k laying around and in reality could use a vehicle sooner.
Riding a bent bike sucks, dudes.
I know you guys don't care to hear it, but I deal with it daily.
I've learned my lesson and want to move on asap.

Well perhaps I'll just ride at home on the ninja then and not finance a bike. lol

I think I remember paying very very low interest on the ninja to start for the first two years or something like that. I don't remember if it was zero interest.

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #18
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

Thats what I plan on doing when I pick up my 250. I think its easier to get the price you want when you walk in and say, "I have $xxxx in my pocket. Can you make it work?" Makes it harder to sneak in extra fees. If you think what you have in your pocket is fair and they don't, you have the freedom to go to another dealership.

When you finance something, you'll notice that magical fees seems to pop up right before your eyes when you are signing finance papers. You don't have any power because you don't have the money. They know this and will exploit it.

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #19
ninja250
You are sleeping

I learned that from the ninja already and had planned to do my best to try and stop it.
I paid something ridiculous like $5500 for my ninja or more.
I heard someone paid $9000 or something which made me not feel quite so bad..

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Yup. Sale of previous vehicle + cash = new vehicle.

Quote:
If I had $5000 cash I'd buy another fairly nice used GSXR. (and have to put $2000 more into it lol)
Exactly. If one *doesn't* have $5000, cash, why would one agree to pay $7000, $8000, or even more over a few years for the same vehicle? The finance arrangement itself makes it that much harder to afford the next vehicle, or anything else that you really need.

Quote:
Riding a bent bike sucks, dudes.
I hear you, and empathize. But paying interest on a note for a bike that's bent would be even worse.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #21
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
If you can't pay cash for something as unnecessary as another bike, you shouldn't buy it at all...same goes with excessive credit card purchases. Don't spend more than you have except in emergencies (or necessities such as cars, house, etc).

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #22
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBNTH View Post
Thats what I plan on doing when I pick up my 250. I think its easier to get the price you want when you walk in and say, "I have $xxxx in my pocket. Can you make it work?" Makes it harder to sneak in extra fees. If you think what you have in your pocket is fair and they don't, you have the freedom to go to another dealership.

When you finance something, you'll notice that magical fees seems to pop up right before your eyes when you are signing finance papers. You don't have any power because you don't have the money. They know this and will exploit it.
Get us a video when you hand them the cash

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #23
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
as unnecessary as another bike
Woah woah woah now, we have to get our priorities straight here.
The ultimate goal of a brand new GSXR.

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #24
Merc250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Murad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Yamaha FZ6R

11.5 k for gsxr is a rip off some dealers are selling them for 9k. Save money and have some patience nothing like a paid off bike.
Merc250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #25
ninja250
You are sleeping

There's no way everyone is going to tell me they buy their bikes in full off the floor right now. Seriously?

I'm not baller enough to be able to pull $10,000 out of my pocket and lay it down. Never have been and in this economy never may be.

I can pay stuff off and have always been honest in that respect however.

Does that mean I should never deserve to own a new GSXR?

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #26
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

I actually have the cash now to do it. The only reason I don't is because I have 3 more certifications out of 8 total that I need to finish. The 250 is going to be my present to myself. I plan on buying it end of Oct. or beginning of Nov.

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #27
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc250r View Post
11.5 k for gsxr is a rip off some dealers are selling them for 9k. Save money and have some patience nothing like a paid off bike.
I'm not going to go into price wars on this.
That one gets out of hand quickly as prices vary greatly from dealer to dealer and state to state. Day to day, rain or shine.

If I had a choice and the cash in hand, obviously I would take a trip between the few huge dealers around and see what the best price I could stir up would be. I'm more referring to if I financed a bike or only a certain dealer would take me etc.

Either way I'm half way to $1000 saved already for something or other.
I'll go get a pocketbike.

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #28
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

Let this blow your mind a bit. You paid $5500+ for your 250 through financing. I plan on using $5750 to get the bike, leather jacket, leather pants, leather boots, leather gauntlets, and a Bell Star Helmet. Keep in mind that the gear purchases will be for items on sale through one of the online retailers like revzilla. It can be done, you just have to save and shop smart. The other thing is you dont start saving when you want something, you start saving before you want something so the money is there when you need it. Just something to think about.

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #29
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
There's no way everyone is going to tell me they buy their bikes in full off the floor right now. Seriously?

I'm not baller enough to be able to pull $10,000 out of my pocket and lay it down. Never have been and in this economy never may be.

I can pay stuff off and have always been honest in that respect however.

Does that mean I should never deserve to own a new GSXR?
Haha yes buy it off the lot jk. I financed mine I don't make that much money to just hop in a dealer and say give me that. It would take a few years of saving for me to buy a bike outright. Got other bills to take care of and a huge one soon to come.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #30
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Bingo! That what I have always done with purchase of all my vehicles.

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #31
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The universal advice is both simple, and unerring. Don't finance a bike. Ever. Any justification for why it is a good idea is in fact a bad idea. Financing a bike you don't want to eventually be able to finance a bike that you do want is taking it to the next level.

The only possible exception would be 0% financing with zero pre-payment penalty, when one can pay off the entire note before any interest comes due. Truly any other financial arrangement in financing a bike is just a bad idea all around.

If you can save $1000, you can save $5000. If you can save $5000, why would you want to waste thousands on interest charges?
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Goto your bank and get a secured credit card. Easy way to build credit.
Charge something then pay off the balance in full on your next statement. then repeat.
Get a checking acount and write checks for your bills. Dont overdraw the account ever. dont bounce a check ever.
You will build your credit quite nicely this way.
Open a savings and start putting money in it.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #32
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
buy with cash, it's much cheaper.

but don't buy that cbr. it's evil. used gixxer 1k ftw.

Old August 29th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #33
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Keep in mind that not only are you paying X amount of dollars for a GSXR but you'll also more than likely be paying a much higher insurance amount. I can already tell that's what's going to keep me from upgrading for a long while.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #34
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I really don't understand the "buy new or bust" thing. I purchased my ninja new; my first brand new vehicle. After that experience I figure it may be my last. I sold it for just over half of what paid for it after a mere two years in near perfect condition. Maybe that new bike smell is worth taking a huge hit on resell to some people, but to me I'd rather get a well maintained used machine for much less money.

Old August 29th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #35
ninja250
You are sleeping

You guys have no idea what you get when you buy used around here.
You think it's ok to just buy a bike and ride ride ride.
Same people don't check their air pressure in their tires before each ride like I do.
Same people running around with loose bolts they don't know about.
I can't let all that slide knowing it happens when I buy used, therefore it costs me a couple thousand more to make sure everythign is safe and sound the way I like it with stock blinkers and fresh oil and complete bike checkup.

I think it is perfectly possible to get zero or 1% interest financing for the first year or two.

I may actually have fun with the CBR. I like my 250 ninjette. Not as much as a gsxr by any means, but it's still pretty cool. I did choose it off the floor, fwiw.

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #36
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #37
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post
C'mon the CBR community needs somebody to do their valve job video. lol jk

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #38
iknowyouz
ninjette.org member

Name: Domingo

Motorcycle(s): None yet but getting a 250 in near future

im gonna try putting my own input here! i myself am thinking about going and financing a new ninja 250r but i worked in the car sales business for quite some time. and ill tell you just like another guy did. when they start brining you those papers in for singnatures little fees here and there start to pop up! if you wanna go in and get that new bike go for it! but ill tell you this half of the money you take in to put a down payment on it goes to the salesman and the rest of his commision comes from the intrest you pay on your bike. thats why he said you couldnt get that other bike he is looking at the big picture knowing he will make money off of you twice! fi you save 3.5 or 4 thousand and then try getting that 600 your in much better shape because they cannot hide such a big amount of money and sneak it into there own comission!
iknowyouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #39
ninja250
You are sleeping

Appreciate everyone's input.

Now I just straight don't know what the hell to do lol.

I'll save up 1K and go ask him for the GSXR.

If he doesn't give it to me I'll try and go from there..

I would take a new gsxr at pretty much any cost. I'll just have to bring it home and seal it in a glass case and not touch it until it's paid for or something. =(

I don't think I would crash it. I had three or four 600's without a crash.
I think I'm slightly more responsible while riding a 600 (around town) because I'm a bit more scared of them. You feel like you have to be a bit more mature the instant you step on one.

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #40
iknowyouz
ninjette.org member

Name: Domingo

Motorcycle(s): None yet but getting a 250 in near future

Quote:
Appreciate everyone's input.

Now I just straight don't know what the hell to do lol.

I'll save up 1K and go ask him for the GSXR.

If he doesn't give it to me I'll try and go from there..

I would take a new gsxr at pretty much any cost. I'll just have to bring it home and seal it in a glass case and not touch it until it's paid for or something. =(

I don't think I would crash it. I had three or four 600's without a crash.
whenever you buy a car (bike) always see the same salesman ALWAYS if he has the day off or something leave and come back when he is there. Make him desperate for the money and dont seem desperate for the bike! also when you go dont try to buy it the first or second time wait till the 3rd or 4th to try to do business. that way he knows your serious about only giving x amount of cash for the bike. and it never hurts to go to another dealership and check out the same bike and when you have someone where you want them money wise go to the second dealer and show them in writing what the other place offers you! most of the time they try to match it and throw freebies in or give you a lower price or lower down payment Good luck on your quest!!
iknowyouz is offline   Reply With Quote