ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #1
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Name: Salim

Motorcycle(s): 2005 SV650S

Taking my class

Yesterday was the first night of my MSF course. It is at a harley dealership, although the test and practice rides will be at another location.

My class has about 22 people. I don't know if that is too much, I am scheduled to ride saturday and sunday mornings. Our instructor seemed to be a nice informative person. I do feel as everything has a rushed feeling to it.

First thing we had to do was just answer a ton of questions in the book. There wasn't much teaching. Then there were a few videos that were not so informative, pretty basic. We didn't cover any specific riding sequences.

Of course people from the dealership tried to get me to see some harleys but I had no interest as I am soon paying for a 09 ninja. The group has about 4-5 women and the rest guys. Two dudes came in half an hour late and they got booted because they thought class started at 6:30..they were a little upset.

Lots of people were complaining about having to answer so many questions in the book. Not too many sport bike riders I suppose, mostly looked like cruiser people.

I just hope it is more informative the next 3 sessions.
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
jdv5074
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Glad to see you are taking the course! The first night it is the two groups together! For your next couple classes it should be about 11 people. Thats how it was for me at least. Yeah the classroom stuff is a little boring but try to get something out of it. You'll enjoy it a lot more and learn a ton once they take you out to ride. It is a beginners course so thats why its so basic. Keep at it and stay safe!
jdv5074 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Good luck bro!
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Yeh the written test will be tomorrow night. I read the whole book in about 45 minutes. Its going to be 90 degrees on saturday and sunday. I was going to wear my jacket but they just said to bring a long sleeve shirt, gloves, and helmet. Little nervous but hope I understand everything on the riding section.

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #5
jdv5074
ninjette.org member

Yeah i was good with a long sleeve shirt. Dont worry they do a great job at explaining everything and making sure everyone understands. Good luck with the written test. You shouldnt have much trouble with it.

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #6
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Yeh I believe there will be 11 of us out there on the range. I am glad I have the morning session from 8-1pm. Someone wanted to switch for the afternoon riding session and I was worried it would be kinda hot by then. I have my armored jacket I was going to bring but in this case I won't.

But I will wear all gear when on my own which will be really hard to get used to in the hot weather. For the box he gave us a hint, when you go to make the turn, shift your weight the opposite way of where you want to turn. Not sure how to do it yet as I have not tried it but seems like counterweight/steering is the key along with the head turn to complete that exercise.

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #7
sze5003
ninjette.org member

I watched some of those videos, pretty exciting to ride already. I've been watching them recently. Pretty much ended up reading the book twice now.

Also looking for a different tag place, the one I was suppose to go to in my state is charging $125 + tax + sales tax of the bike, just for the title transfer, registration and tags. When dmv site for the state it says tags are about $30, title transfer $22, and registration $18.

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #8
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Have fun with it and don't be nervous, it's really not too difficult. I took it without ever riding a bike (besides once in a parking lot) and did fine. Just pay attention and try to learn as much as you can. As for the box, it's really simple. Just turn your head to where you want to go and have smooth clutch control and you'll get it down.

nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
jdv5074
ninjette.org member

My last class was today and i got a perfect score on both the written exam and the riding part. Only two people failed the class so you should do fine as long as you try to learn the skills and have fun with it!

Old June 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #10
sze5003
ninjette.org member

I got 100% one the written. Well day one of riding was today. I got to ride the suzuki tux-250. I dunno maybe I'm just a small skinny guy but the bike was kinda heavy, not by much.

The walking exercise was simple, even the friction zone exercise too. One guy went to the hospital when we started riding back and forth down the range.
I was turning my bike around and next thing I know I look over and the guy is on the ground with the bike next to him or on him it seemed. There was white smoke coming from the back tire.

Instructors said he might have broken his thumb. When we got to the other exercises, I was having trouble keeping my right hand off the right break. I would just get so nervous and scared that I would grab it like crazy. I also had issues with keeping the throttle steady. I held it in place but I'm not sure if should have been in second gear or what, because he did not say. Throttles were spring loaded so it would go back as soon as you let go, holding it still was tough for me.

I'm not sure if it was my work boots or what but I had trouble shifting too. I'd panic because my right hand would not keep steady throttle and my left foot, I'd have to move it to shift up. Keeping the feet positioned correctly was tough. I couldn't feel anything with my feet because of the steel tow and heavy rubber. I deff could not feel myself using the rear break until the emergency stopping situation.

Instructor said I did pretty good on that one. I was holding the bike with my dear life and the instructor yelled at me because I would get so confused between grabbing the controls. As we continued, I started to get a little better. I think the course is a little time pressed so we were rushed to go through each exercise as quick as possible.

Now I drive a stick car and I never felt so afraid of screwing up, which is why I was holding my hand of the break. I did drop the bike twice when I got so delirious and grabbed the break, I stopped fine but the wheel was wobbling and I think I grabbed the front too much so then I put my foot out to the left and bike leaned too much and my leg could not hold it so it went down but I grabbed it and lifted it back straight before it had a chance to hit.

One thing I don't get is the swearve and weave?? They kept saying press the handle bars, I was doing that but the bike was not moving any direction. Unless I turned then it would turn. Going around the high speed curve they kept saying you need to just press not steer?? How do you press, and for a right weave/curve, do you press with left hand and vice versa?

Can someone explain to me how it works? A girl also was not getting it too quick, kept stalling but I'm afraid I won't pass tomorrow. I already bought my bike but I need to find a battery for it and I deffinately feel discouraged and afraid of getting confused with controls.

Old June 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #11
sc37
ninjette.org member

Name: SC

Motorcycle(s): Currently: 2012 Honda NC700X; Previously: 2010 Ninja 250R

I honestly was confused when I first started riding with idea of pressing or the counter-steer. If you've ridden a bike, even a bicycle, before, it's something you do naturally, So don't over think it. If you do look at what you're doing when riding it's more of a slight press and body lean. The instructors for my class made us simulate it before actually doing it.

Last futzed with by sc37; June 10th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #12
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
I honestly was confused when I first started riding with the press or the counter-steer. If you've ridden a bike, even a bicycle, before, it's something you do naturally, So don't over think it. If you do look at what you're doing when riding, it's more of a press and lean. The instructors for my class made us simulate it before actually doing it.
I'm kind of nervous about mine, I'm waitlisted for one on a weekened coming up and one next month during the week. I'm taking in through the Navy so it's free (GO Navy!) but I would also like to NOT miss 2 days of work, and yea the Navy BRC course is only 2 days, 6:30 am to 4:30pm.

I hope I get into the one coming up!

Old June 10th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #13
sc37
ninjette.org member

Name: SC

Motorcycle(s): Currently: 2012 Honda NC700X; Previously: 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
I'm kind of nervous about mine, I'm waitlisted for one on a weekened coming up and one next month during the week. I'm taking in through the Navy so it's free (GO Navy!) but I would also like to NOT miss 2 days of work, and yea the Navy BRC course is only 2 days, 6:30 am to 4:30pm.

I hope I get into the one coming up!
I wouldn't be too nervous about it, it's a good time actually. I learned a lot even despite reading and watching all sorts of stuff online. I had a few hundred miles under my belt before taking it. There were only a handful of pure noobs in my class, but they caught on quick and got into the flow (I was disappointed to not see any crashing...bikes were in outstanding shape which makes me think it doesn't happen as often as I might believe). If you passed the test for a permit, the written in the class is a breeze. My instructors hurried us through it all so we could spend more focus on the range. They noticed that most of us had some skills so they pushed us to go do the things at faster speeds and do it more precisely. It was a good challenge and practice. Met a lot of nice guys too, a few of which were military too.
sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #14
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Well I passed the test, I got more points on the box of course because I started out fine but I went out of the line. People were saying to have more speed but I'd turn my head all the way and also the tires but the turn was not sharp enough.

I also go points on the emergency break since they said I didn't shift into 1st but I'm sure I did because I took off fine after he was done calculating my distance. Or maybe I went over a little bit.

And I panicked on the swerve and accidently downshifted into 1st. Other than that, if it hadn't been labeled test I would have been more calm. The instructor also said i was too wired I needed to relax.