ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

View Poll Results: global warming caused by humans
It is as close to fact as it gets & time is out and now we are in damage control 14 38.89%
idk but to be on the safe side maybe we should do something 7 19.44%
idk but so what one way or the other 3 8.33%
rapture is tomorrow so the question is irrelevant 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
global warming cased by humans

Reading threads it looks like a majority of folks believe that global warming does not exist and the weird weather we have been seeing lately is just natural random variability. I do not think that is the case. I think it is very obvious that global warming caused by humans is as close to fact as evolution I. E. 95% proven disputed by religious fanatics or coin dependent.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
there is no argument whether or not global warming is happening. or that human industry is responsible for helping accelerate it. or what will happen as the global temperature rises. these are observable facts.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Caused by humans? No
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Caused by humans? No
we output massive amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere with our manufacturing processes... this contributes, no?

Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Let's go back to medieval-like times!!!! WOOT!!! Horses, walking, okay...bicycles too.

No more cell phones, just telegrams.

As long as I can carry my recurve bow and a sword, I'm set.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
we output massive amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere with our manufacturing processes... this contributes, no?
Yea probably, but were not the cause. If anything our CO2 production will hold off the next ice age for 1,000 years or so.
AFM #676

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:02 PM   #7
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Yea probably, but were not the cause. If anything our CO2 production will hold off the next ice age for 1,000 years or so.
Or trigger one by melting the Greenland ice sheet and turning off the Gulf stream.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:09 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Yes global warming is caused by the human. Most humans wanna claim it's false and do nothing besides continue watching Oprah, or some other amusing show and shopping at Walmart... Long as we are entertained and an buy cheap Chinese stuff all is well.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:14 PM   #9
250rr

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Question: what caused global warming 10,000 years ago, bringing us out of the ice age?
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
The earth is def at a low point right now, as it seems our country is as well. It doesn't matter how we got there, but trying to be part of the solution instead of the problem is the real issue. I will step off my soap box, or try to and let y'all do as you wish in this thread.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:36 AM   #11
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
Question: what caused global warming 10,000 years ago, bringing us out of the ice age?

http://www.ibtimes.com/end-ice-age-c...levels-434240#

A change in the Earth's orbit, called a Milankovitch wobble, is to blame, according to the study. The wobble caused more sunlight to reach the northern hemisphere and melted some of the ice sheets, triggering a chain reaction that caused CO2 trapped under the ice to be released very rapidly, raising global temperatures over a relatively short time span.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
you are correct in your suggestion that the earth is leaving an ice age and so its gradually increasing temperature. the problem with simply saying that 'its a natural cause, don't worry' skirts the fact that regardless of why its happening, it IS happening. and with it comes lots of issues we don't want to deal with. it is clear that our increased output in co2 levels and other 'greenhouse gases' has sharply increased the rate of warming globally. if global warming is inevitable (it is), and damage and problems are obviously going to be caused by it (they will), then why wouldn't we want to slowly ease into higher temperatures in a way that makes it easier for people to transition into new areas or ways of living? why would you say "nah **** it!" and jump head first into the unknown? large scale planetary changes are extremely challenging for species. maybe we won't survive it if its too quick.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:21 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I think it is silly to believe that all the energy we has humans give off as heat does not have an effect on the earths temperatures, I guess the earth is not exactly a closed system and i'm sure heat loss and exchange in the upper most layers of the atmosphere are complicated so in short, IDK but in my experience over the past 7 yrs in MD. I have seen 2 of the coolest summers i have ever experienced and 2 of the coldest winters with record snowfall i have ever experienced. It just seems to jump around and go both ways.

found this

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/11/0...etting-colder/
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #14
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post

http://www.ibtimes.com/end-ice-age-c...levels-434240#

A change in the Earth's orbit, called a Milankovitch wobble, is to blame, according to the study. The wobble caused more sunlight to reach the northern hemisphere and melted some of the ice sheets, triggering a chain reaction that caused CO2 trapped under the ice to be released very rapidly, raising global temperatures over a relatively short time span.
Thanks for the link! Interesting article. Your summary of the article is good.

However, to quote the same article:

Other scientists remain skeptical.

The paper is based on many assumptions without supporting data, Don Easterbrook, geology professor at Western Washington University, told WattsUpWithThat.com, a blog that questions climate change. They assume that CO2 is capable of causing climate changes, even though 95 percent of the greenhouse gas effect is from water vapor. In order to seriously consider CO2 as a causal mechanism, you first need to prove that very tiny increases in CO2 do indeed increase atmospheric water vapor.

I'm not an expert in this area, so won't pass judgement on who is right. I think it is a subject on which reasonable people can differ. Kinda like the endless pre-gen, new-gen battle.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Humans have not caused global warming to start, we're simply contributing to the rate in wich it happens and making it even worse. gg humans.

i always laugh when theres arguments over this nonsense on TV, or when people deny it and say it doesnt exist at all.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:20 PM   #16
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Obviously climates changes before humans were not human caused, but were affected by things such as the Milankovitch wobble and the eruptions related to the Siberian and Deccan Traps. These last events likely led to some of the largest die-offs of life on earth. Even single events like large volcanic eruptions have been recently noted to affect weather systems.

But, what I find particularly hard to ignore is how well tree ring, sediment layer, and ice core data all show a very clear correlation to a warming climate nearly perfectly in synch since the industrial revolution. While it *could* be coincidental, it is highly unlikely we aren't playing some role. The timing is rather damning.

It doesn't help that "global warming" is a phrase that is so easily misunderstood. Gasses that trap more energy from the sun in our atmosphere do cause global temperatures to trend warmer, but the more immediate effect is more energy in the system. More energy trapped in the system creates more active weather, which means more storms, stronger storms, and counter-intuitively, colder more severe winter weather as well.

My thoughts about the climate change deniers tend to cause me feel its almost like the "I have mine, screw everyone else - business as usual" mentality. Less than 100 years ago the idea that the continents moved was ridiculed, and thought "anti-Christian". Now plate tectonics is a proven scientific fact. I have few doubts climate change occurring with a large degree of human culpability will eventually be proved.

Well, to everyone save the sort of people who screamed at Bill Nye when he commented that the moon in fact reflects the light of the sun and does not create its own light.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://phys.org/news/2013-05-century...ce-global.html

Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:56 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Why don't we just mine giant ice cubes from other planets and drop them in our ocean?
AFM #676

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:07 PM   #19
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
I'm not an expert in this area, so won't pass judgement on who is right. I think it is a subject on which reasonable people can differ. Kinda like the endless pre-gen, new-gen battle.
That analogy would work if 95% of the expert riders liked the new-gen bikes and 5% liked the pre-gen and the 5% all have pre-gens for sale.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:22 PM   #20
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Why don't we just mine giant ice cubes from other planets and drop them in our ocean?
I like the idea of putting thousands of giant sun shades into orbit that open and close so we could have warm winters but keep summer from getting to hot. We could just keep pumping more and more CO2 into the atmosphere with no ramifications. Oh and if the US has control of them we can do the opposite to any country that pisses us off.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:27 PM   #21
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
I like the idea of putting thousands of giant sun shades into orbit that open and close so we could have warm winters but keep summer from getting to hot. We could just keep pumping more and more CO2 into the atmosphere with no ramifications. Oh and if the US has control of them we can do the opposite to any country that pisses us off.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM   #22
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

What temp is the earth supposed to be at?

Old May 24th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #23
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I have an idea. Global warming is caused by CO2 gases right? Maybe it COULD have something to do with all the structures that are being put up around the world. Last I checked, a typical roof on a home, asphalt, and concrete do not really dissipate heat very well. They hold on to it. Ever notice how "downtown" in a major city is ALWAYS warmer than the country?

But yeah, it has absolutely nothing to do with that and everything to do with emissions.

Old May 24th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #24
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I have an idea. Global warming is caused by CO2 gases right? Maybe it COULD have something to do with all the structures that are being put up around the world. Last I checked, a typical roof on a home, asphalt, and concrete do not really dissipate heat very well. They hold on to it. Ever notice how "downtown" in a major city is ALWAYS warmer than the country?
That actually has a name - "Urban Heat Islands" Its a huge factor driving architects and city planners to develop "green roofs" where you have almost park-like spaces with plants and trees growing on the tops of buildings. Rather than it being just a "feel good" project, they actually do seem to make a difference with local temperatures. They are a bit controversial as they don't always work out with cost analysis with their maintenance put into consideration.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #25
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Anyone ever notice that it gets hotter in the summer?

Old May 25th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #26
toddblue68
ninjette.org member

Name: Toad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Like in times of old, too many people seem to want to jump from hypothesis to fact without doing the work. It was once a fact that the world was flat. It was a fact that the sun revolved around the earth. Why? Because people wanted to believe it (and couldn’t quite prove otherwise)? Followed the herd? Were ostracized by the scientists of the day if they didn't get in line (sounds familiar)? 95% represent the small but extremely vocal lot that will bash anyone with a differing opinion, thus the 5% are the brave ones that voice their differing opinions and get lambasted for their effort. The 95% are only tolerant of discussion of a topic if you agree with them. Disagree and you’re labeled a fanatic (see the original post above).

Have we observed odd weather of late? Sure. Why? Maybe it's just the nature of the planet? Maybe it's the cycle the planet is in. IDK. We're still in the observe phase of all this. Many people today, just like the flat earthers, have a need to be right because it gives them power (to bash those that don't agree with them? impose laws, rules ideals that they believe in and want to be a nanny). Currently, we’re observing that it’s not warming, and hasn’t been for a while now.

If it's a fact, how can it be proven? What complex, large scale experiment can mimic this planet, solar system, weather patterns, oceans, volcanic activity, etc...and that small variable we call humans? Then, change a single variable (no people) to see what if any impact it has. Now, do it again and prove it (what stands still in such a complex system to KNOW what might impact other variables?). It’s called the scientific method. What about the observations from satellites? That data doesn’t show warming, how does that mesh? So many variables.

Sorry, but it's theory and I’ll remain skeptical until proven otherwise. Now, does that mean we shouldn’t be good stewards? Not at all. Reduce your consumption of resources, reuse (harder to do with crappier Chinese products) and recycle is cost effective if nothing else.
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #27
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Lots of stupidity here.

Alex seems the only person to actually know what's going on, i'm not even going to vote as it's not even up for discussion, it's the concensus amoungst every scientific community that global warming is real and caused by humans.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #28
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Lots of stupidity here.

Alex seems the only person to actually know what's going on, i'm not even going to vote as it's not even up for discussion, it's the concensus amoungst every scientific community that global warming is real and caused by humans.
thanks for the no vote

Old May 26th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #29
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Lots of stupidity here.

And therefore it should not be questioned by anyone, ever, I suppose.

Lots of stupidity here indeed. Not to say that I don't agree with the consensus, but that statement...

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #30
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/timeline.htm

SMIC conference of leading scientists reports a danger of rapid and serious global change caused by humans, calls for an organized research effort.

Scientific opinion tends to converge on global warming, not cooling, as the chief climate risk in next century.

Climate experts questioned and came to a consensus a long time ago. The general public needs it smashed into their face.

The fact that the Earth is round and its circumference calculated to within a couple of hundred miles happened in 276 BC close to 2300 years ago 1800 years later uneducated people were still thinking it was flat. I think the level of ignorance shows just how bad our educational system is due to politics.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Seriously though, if its caused by humans then what warmed the earth from the ice age? And what is going to make the earth go into the next ice age
AFM #676

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #32
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Seriously though, if its caused by humans then what warmed the earth from the ice age? And what is going to make the earth go into the next ice age
It does not just happen, there is always a trigger and it looks like it is often different from what has happened previously. Now there are no Sun flare storms or wobbles to the Earths rotation or giant meteor collisions or natural methane releases or unusual volcanic activity, just us.

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
You know the earth does have a ridiculously large scale rotation that causes the ice ages. It's something like a 15,000-30,000 year cycle that changes the earths climate. Has to do with the rotation around the sun. I did a report on it in college in which I claimed that the increased global warming due to humans would delay the next ice age by 1000 years. I was claiming that therefore global warming was a good thing and posses off my professor.
AFM #676

Old May 26th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #34
toddblue68
ninjette.org member

Name: Toad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Quote:
Lots of stupidity here.

Quote:
I think the level of ignorance shows just how bad our educational system is due to politics.
Ah yes, intolerance of those who disagree, couldn't see that coming. Seems we can all have our own observations, vote in the poll, and read any scientific study so long as we all agree with your conclusions. Name calling has always been an effective means of persuading people.
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #35
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Everyone seems to have an opinion on everything, despite how little they actually know, AND they feel that their opinion is just as valid as everyone elses and if you don't like it **** off.

We have a system nowadays for working out if something is observable, messurable, repeatable and independantly tested and confirmed by peers, it's called science, they (scientists) according to scientific methods all conclude that global warming is real, and caused by humans.

Since I have better things to fo with my life than spend 30 years studying climate science, I tend to believe the many millions of climate scientists that have done so and all conclude that it's caused by humans and real.

Now you can listen to a politician in texas who listened to his pastor who told him the earth will provide and global warming is nonsense propoganda agaisnts the oil industry, or some whack job on the discovery channel, but if you're going by research papers, and scientific concensus, you may as well have a poll asking people if they believe in gravity, they can deny it, but they would be wrong.

Source: http://theconsensusproject.com/#sharePage
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #36
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
OMG. How have I never noticed this?

Old May 26th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #37
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
OMG, is this life threatening?!!!??!!!1!!!

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #38
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddblue68 View Post
Ah yes, intolerance of those who disagree, couldn't see that coming. Seems we can all have our own observations, vote in the poll, and read any scientific study so long as we all agree with your conclusions. Name calling has always been an effective means of persuading people.
Your right, name calling is counterproductive. Lets call the strange disconnect between what the experts believe and and what many laymen believe, disinformation pushed by oil companies, politics, and religion.

Old May 27th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #39
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Of course its happening. There will always be skeptics, hence the people who still believe the earth is flat. Just ignore them. Arguing only makes their opinion stronger.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #40
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Your right, name calling is counterproductive. Lets call the strange disconnect between what the experts believe and and what many laymen believe, disinformation pushed by oil companies, politics, and religion.
Yes, but where do those experts get most of their funding?

I'm sure the source of funding for a given research project by "experts" has no say in how research is conducted, or what boundaries the research is limited to.

I'm not siding one way or another. To say it is caused 100% by humans, to me, just doesn't make sense; but to say we have not contributed at all doesn't either. City temps are a simple example.

I also feel that people are rather stuck in their views. The art of debate has been reduced to "you don't believe what I believe, therefore you are an idiot." It reminds me of a debate I got into a few months back. I merely said a certain cartoon I saw was in bad taste. I never once stated my stance on the subject, I just felt the cartoon wasn't right. I then got called all sorts of names and was told to ride a bike off a cliff because I was (for the most part) stupid for not believing what the guy believed.

Well, how would he know what I believed when I never said what I believed? To me, the people who lack are the ones who think they know everything. Those same people tend to think others are stupid because they don't view things the same way. I'm always open to hear what others say, but calling names or thinking less of them because of it, well that isn't me.

People are so biased when it comes to politics and such, I like to dodge it if I can.

>last post in this thread for me!<