ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 19th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Lemonfresh
ninjette.org member

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): '10 Kawasaki Ninja 250ARRRR (Sold), '13 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Crashed), '07 Triumph Daytona 675

Suzuki GSXR 600/750 Shock Install on 2010

I did a lot of research before attempting this and thought I would let you know what I found along the way.

This shock will fit without interference issues in a 2010 Ninja 250. I can only assume it will fit the other years. The suspension has full travel both up and down.

It did require some modifications to the uni-trak pivot arm. I used a mill to shave enough material off each side to allow the GSXR shock to slide over it. I used a lathe to turn the spacer down enough to just fit in the shock also.

I ended up buying this hardware:

2x m12 1.75x130mm zinc plated bolts (To replace the dogbone bolts)
1x m12 1.75x55mm zinc plated bolt (To replace the shock/uni-trac bolt)
3x m12 1.75 top lock nuts
4x m12 flat washers
4x Bronze Bushings

I also drilled the stock GSXR bolt eye out with a drill press to accept the 12mm stock bolts.

I have not installed the under tail liner just yet. I will update on whether or not it needs to be trimmed. I'll post pics along with a ride report soon.

Last futzed with by Lemonfresh; August 20th, 2014 at 04:48 PM.
Lemonfresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Hi Mat! I'm not sure if you know but it's been done before. Not exactly to your perfectionalism but done The shock will lower your rear a tad so new dog bones are in order. There's a company out there that makes them to correct it but I'm sure you can make your own. You will need to trim the rear fender liner where it curves for the stock shock.

Old August 19th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Lemonfresh
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '10 Kawasaki Ninja 250ARRRR (Sold), '13 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Crashed), '07 Triumph Daytona 675

I scoured this and other sites for information on how to do this before I did it. I just never found what hardware was needed and saw conflicting information on whether or not the liner needed to be trimmed. Yes it does, the air box does not need to be trimmed.

Last futzed with by Lemonfresh; August 20th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

Old August 19th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #4
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonfresh View Post
I scoured this and other sites for information on how to do this before I did it. I just never found what hardware was needed and saw conflicting information on whether or not the liner needed to be trimmed. Yes it does, the air box does not need to be trimmed.

The GSXR Shock is 1/4" longer. Won't that make the bike sit a little higher?
Longer = lower
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

The shock is shorter, it's been documented and verified 100 times, along with everything else that needs done, a simple google search will turn up tons of hits and more info regarding the mod than you will want to go through

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...250+gsxr+shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Longer = lower
^ incorrect, longer = higher for the shock, it's the dog bones that work the other way. Shorter bones = higher, longer bones = lower.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #6
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
^ incorrect, longer = higher for the shock, it's the dog bones that work the other way. Shorter bones = higher, longer bones = lower.
Oops yeah that's what I was thinking.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Lemonfresh
ninjette.org member

Look I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I Google searched and read every article I could find before doing this. I am trying to answer questions I had while doing this project. I found many conflicting statements, which may have been caused between this project being done on the different generations of bikes. All I am trying to do is answer questions I had while doing this and help the next guy do it.

I just measured the uncompressed shocks and they are within 3mm of each other in eye to eye length. The '07 GSXR shock was at 317mm and the stocker is at 320mm. This is in contrast to the many articles I have read which showed the GSXR shock as small as 312mm to as large as 320mm and the stocker at 317mm. This small of a difference is hardly worth fabing new dogbones over.

Old August 20th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

Quote:
Look I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I Google searched and read every article I could find before doing this. I am trying to answer questions I had while doing this project. I found many conflicting statements, which may have been caused between this project being done on the different generations of bikes. All I am trying to do is answer questions I had while doing this and help the next guy do it.

I just measured the uncompressed shocks and they are within 3mm of each other in eye to eye length. The '07 GSXR shock was at 317mm and the stocker is at 320mm. This is in contrast to the many articles I have read which showed the GSXR shock as small as 312mm to as large as 320mm and the stocker at 317mm. This small of a difference is hardly worth fabing new dogbones over.

Conflicting statements huh? On the internet?..... never

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Lemonfresh
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Conflicting statements huh? On the internet?..... never
Exactly. I fixed mine, will you do the same?

Old August 20th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Lemonfresh
ninjette.org member

I got it all back together today. Sag is set and I matched the rear compression and rebound as closely to the front as I could. It is a completely new animal. The handling is incredibly flickable and the rear feels much more planted when going through corners. I went looking for the biggest bumps I could find, it eats them up without issue. This shock along with new front springs and oil is a great upgrade.

Old August 21st, 2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Quote:
I got it all back together today. Sag is set and I matched the rear compression and rebound as closely to the front as I could. It is a completely new animal. The handling is incredibly flickable and the rear feels much more planted when going through corners. I went looking for the biggest bumps I could find, it eats them up without issue. This shock along with new front springs and oil is a great upgrade.
I did the exact same thing, plus pre load adjusters in front, no emulators though. I got shorter dog bons though and the rear raised an inch i would say, bike feels AWESOME. Only rode it around the track though, so i wasnt able to check how it was over bumps. Felt super solid and stable all the time.

To add real information though, i did the opposite of you for my install. I drills the GSXR shock holes out and ground the gsxr shock to fit over the arm of the 250. My reason was its prob easier and cheaper for me to replace the gsxr shock than anything on my ninja.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote