Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #1
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Name: bogdan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Z750

Does it worth to trade the ninjette?

Hello everybody.
I own a bike - Kawi Ninja 250R - 2008 FI model, at about 6500 km ( appr. 4000 miles ). I bought at the 1st of May... at 1300 km ( 800 miles ).
I drove it during the last 6 six months - trouble free. Bought an alarm system and crash protectors. Done the usual maintenance. Even made an abroad trip twice.
Oh, I forgot to mention - it cost me about 4500 USD. Please keep in mind that prices are different here in East Europa, so it is a relatively reasonable price. When I bought it I knew that it would not be easy to sell it ( when the time comes )... financial losses wise.

So, I met a guy who ones Suzuki GSR 600 A, bought brand new an year ago, still under warranty, fully insured ( something rare around, cause it is very expensive ) , 3000 kilometers mileage.

He offers me to exchange my Ninjette plus 2500 EURO ( 3700 USD ) for the "little B-King model. Despite the money issue, 95% of my ride is in heavy traffic and jams in an European capital. The other 5% is for fun during the weekends. So if i accept the deal, I will have much more fun in 5%, and I guess it will not be so easy 95% of the time with a heavier 600cc bike.
So, what would you do if you were "in my shoes" ?

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): RED 250R

i say keep the 250, the one you are happy with and dont change anything, until you get tired and sick of it.
Kawasabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
That really depends on the actual value of the Suzuki. Sounds like you'll be taking a big financial hit if you do the trade.

Since you know that you want something larger (if you didn't you wouldn't even be considering the trade), if I were you I'd keep the 250 and start saving right now for a larger bike. Ride the 250 as long as you can, preferably until it wears out. That's the smart financial move.

That way you get more utility out of the 250, you're spending less to own it and you don't take such a loss when you finally do sell it. Most of the value goes away in the first couple of years, so the longer you ride it the less you get hurt by depreciation.

When I buy a car I always drive it as long as I reasonably can (400,000 km is not uncommon for me) for this reason. It's not worth much when I finally do sell it, but by the time it goes I've been saving and earning interest for years.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

It's a bigger engine size which would mean you're going to be paying higher insurance. The 250 is easier to maneuver (sp?) in heavy traffic but brakes on the 600 are better which is VERY important in heavy traffic.

What he's asking for seems a bit too high but why is he selling? Just seems odd he'd take the trade plus cash if he's wanting to get rid of the bike. Sounds like he's getting a better deal than you.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #5
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Sounds like you'll be taking a big financial hit if you do the trade.
Ride the 250 as long as you can, preferably until it wears out. That's the smart financial move.
Yes, you are right about the "financial hit". But we have a saying here : "fun is priceless". In case of a translation lost , it means that you should not think about money when it comes to a bike. The car is a necessity, the bike is for pleasure.

Quote:
Sounds like he's getting a better deal than you.
No he realised that he is an supermoto guy and he allready bought one. The Suzuki cost 7500 - 8000 EURO brand new. So it is not a bad deal.

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdanb View Post
So it is not a bad deal.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Do it if you think that's what you want.

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I go through fads where I feel I need an upgrade. Then I have a day like today, 70-ish temps, sunny and clear skies, and the 250 is all I need.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #8
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I go through fads where I feel I need an upgrade. Then I have a day like today, 70-ish temps, sunny and clear skies, and the 250 is all I need.
Don't you ever miss some power ? Don't you ever wish for a few more horses ?

Old October 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #9
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
I do! with both bikes!
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #10
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I do! with both bikes!
LOL ... I guy with CBR 1000RR, you surely know what I'm talking about. Most of the forum members too.

Old October 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #11
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

I really think the handling difference in heavy traffic will be tiny. So unless you're up on your toes at a stop, I wouldn't let this affect your decision.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #12
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

^^^
Handline difference is a huge difference in heavy traffic splitting lanes. At least here in Cali it is.

Old October 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #13
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
I really think the handling difference in heavy traffic will be tiny. So unless you're up on your toes at a stop, I wouldn't let this affect your decision.
I really appreciate a word from a man experienced with bigger bike.

This is one of the main boulevards in the morning. Do you think that it would be easier for you with the ZX6 than the 250R?

Old October 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Here's a random pic from California: I commute in crappy traffic like this all day. You tell me!

Old October 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #15
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

I know that in US everything is bigger than elsewhere, but I notice you have room enough between the lanes. Have a look at this.

Juging from the movies, drivers in US obey the law and road regulations. Here is the opposite. No one respect the police, and the cops are easy to bribe.

Old October 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #16
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I'hv gone through congested traffic in LA and San Francisco on everything from a Harley to a 250 to a ZX10. The 250 is the easiest to manage. However the other bikes can hadnle themselves too. If you have the cash and want to upgrade do it just remember your use to the 250 and its flickability so the 600 may cause you problems at first.

Old October 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #17
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

First, look at what you can sell the ninja 250 for. Account for the alarm and upgrades you made. Shop around for the bike the guy is offering, see what other people are selling that bike for. test ride!!!! inspect it carefully!!!!

Other things to consider:

Depends on the bike's riding position. If it's leaned forward, it's going to SUCK (this can be altered of course, for a price). Otherwise, if it's a bigger bike you want, go for it.

The other thing is how heavy the clutch is. If that "little B King" is anything like my SV650s, crawling in traffic is a test of endurance and willpower for your left hand. I don't know if all suzukis are like this, but that's another factor.

Hard to say what I'd do in your shoes. I went for the bigger bike. It comes with a price, though. Since your ninja 250 is fuel injected, technical issues from idling in traffic are pretty much N/A to you.

At the end of the day, if you think you'll be happier with a bigger bike, then go with that.
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #18
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
I know that in US everything is bigger than elsewhere, but I notice you have room enough between the lanes. Have a look at this.

Juging from the movies, drivers in US obey the law and road regulations. Here is the opposite. No one respect the police, and the cops are easy to bribe.

eegad! A ten speed bicycle would be the ticket there
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #19
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:

Hey dude, engine power and insurance aside, your black Ninja LOOKS much more in tune with your own image than the Zuki. Not sure if the LADIES would agree.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #20
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Keep the Ninja.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #21
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

If it were me, I'd get an SV650 instead. But I love the SV.
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #22
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:

I wonder which type of traffic actually moves faster, or should I say, less slowly.

I know in which one a bike can move faster.

Old October 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #23
Cute Scoot~

Wink pretty color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Hey dude, engine power and insurance aside, your black Ninja LOOKS much more in tune with your own image than the Zuki. Not sure if the LADIES would agree.
I like the blue one

Old October 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #24
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute scoot~ View Post
i like the blue one
boooooo!

Old October 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #25
Cute Scoot~

Wink boooooo berry Blue

Old October 17th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #26
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Yes, but I even know people who own 1000's who still want more. Even though I know good an well they have a hard enough of a time managing what they do have.

It is simply a want, not a need. People often think they have mastered one bike, when they really haven't.

I do want a bigger bike just so I don't need to shift every 2 seconds. That is the only thing I really don't like about the 250. I have to be in 4th or 5th while my friend on his ZX-10 only needs to be in 2nd. That would be the only reason I'd upgrade, not because I think I need the power.

If I did upgrade, it would be to a 600, unless there is a crazy deal for a 1000.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #27
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuslars View Post
First, look at what you can sell the ninja 250 for. Account for the alarm and upgrades you made. Shop around for the bike the guy is offering, see what other people are selling that bike for. test ride!!!! inspect it carefully!!!!

Other things to consider:

Depends on the bike's riding position. If it's leaned forward, it's going to SUCK (this can be altered of course, for a price). Otherwise, if it's a bigger bike you want, go for it.

The other thing is how heavy the clutch is. If that "little B King" is anything like my SV650s, crawling in traffic is a test of endurance and willpower for your left hand. I don't know if all suzukis are like this, but that's another factor.

Hard to say what I'd do in your shoes. I went for the bigger bike. It comes with a price, though. Since your ninja 250 is fuel injected, technical issues from idling in traffic are pretty much N/A to you.

At the end of the day, if you think you'll be happier with a bigger bike, then go with that.
I think the SV has a pretty neutral riding position, definitely not the same as a supersport. Also, you can always switch brake and clutch levers to easy pull levers which are fairly cheap.

I would go with the one you really want. Im not a huge fan of naked bikes though.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #28
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

The Ninjette is not a disposable bike. You are not ever supposed to get rid of it. It is like a [friendly] herpes virus.... once you got it, you get to keep it forever (pretend for the sake of illustration that herpes is something you actually want). OK, I made my point... a little messy, but there it is. Keep the bike.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #29
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
The Ninjette is not a disposible bike. You are not ever suposed to get rid of it. It is like a [friendly] herpes virus.... once you got it, you get keep it forever (pretend for the sake of illustration that herpes is something you actually want). OK, I made my point... a little messy, but there it is. Keep the bike.
lol sigged

Old October 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #30
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
lol sigged
LOL - well, I am honored.

EDIT: I went back and corrected my spelling on that....

Old October 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #31
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Edited sig, surprised I missed that(and by I, I mean spell check)

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #32
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The Ninjette is not a disposible bike
I see you guys have fun.

Old October 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #33
headshrink

Quote:

I see you guys have fun.
You got it - which is exactly why the ninjette stays

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #34
Majik
ninjette.org member

Name: Connie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R RED!

Quote:

The black Ninja is by far the sexiest bike! There Anthony...a woman's oppinion. In traffic like that, I would def keep the 250!!! Just my

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #35
Majik
ninjette.org member

OOPS I just saw Cute Scoots reply. Well, there ya go, 2 women's oppinions with 2 different replies.

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #36
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
The black Ninja is by far the sexiest bike! There Anthony...a woman's oppinion. In traffic like that, I would def keep the 250!!! Just my
Okay Connie, I'll consider painting my bike black, but that poses a problem. Her name is Blue Heron.

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #37
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
OOPS I just saw Cute Scoots reply. Well, there ya go, 2 women's oppinions with 2 different replies.
Tammy likes the blue one. Whew! I don't have to painting my bike.

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #38
Majik
ninjette.org member

Dont feel bad Anthony...I have a red bike! LOL! I do like the black though. Actually, black is my favorite color. Purple is second. Your bike is very nice though Anthony!

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #39
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Dont feel bad Anthony...I have a red bike! LOL! I do like the black though. Actually, black is my favorite color. Purple is second. Your bike is very nice though Anthony!
If/when I switch to a new-gen, a black one would be it. I've admired them for quite a while.

So then, bogdanb, since you already have one, why get rid of it?

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #40
Cute Scoot~

Wink LoL!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Tammy likes the blue one. Whew! I don't have to painting my bike.