ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 29th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #1
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

READ this before Shimming Needles - Might save a lot of pain

Many first time Ninjette Shimmers are "screwing up" the heads of the JIS screws that retain the carb tops, which need to be removed to get to the needles for shimming.

All those phillips screws on the 250R are NOT Phillips screws. Here are bits (JIS) which can be used in the MOS tool (See below), which works great for those hard to reach screws.

The following quote is from VeX "I assure you this tool is going to get brought up in a lot of these DIY's, so do yourself a favor and buy one... DO it! (Milwaukee Offset Screwdriver with a ratcheting screwdriver handle)"

The following link is for JIS screwdrivers, with handles: http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html

If you want to see the difference between phillips screws and JIS screws, check out the following: http://www.rjrcooltools.com/jis.cfm

If you follow my recommendation and VeX's, you will have fewer headaches, while improving your bike's performance.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM   #2
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

I just replaced the stock philips screws with hex screws. If you don't like hex screws you can always go flat head or something else. Anything is better than a philips-like screw head imo.

If you do manage to screw mess up your screws, you can always use a screw extractor
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3
kkim

would like to thank Sam for the info on the JIS screwdrivers.

My head is harder than most... well, maybe all, and have been working on my carbs with a #2 Phillips, but being sure to apply plenty of downward pressure (forcing, actually) before applying sidewards motion. It's worked for me and hell... what did I need JIS screwdrivers for??? HA!!!

A few weeks ago, I purchased a set of JIS screwdrivers from Central Hobbies and threw it in my tool kit for the day that I'd need to work on the ninja's carbs again.

Recently, I've been doing a lot of rejetting on the dirt bikes with Keihin carbs. The setup is very different from the CV Keihins on the 250 and one of the screws that they use to secure an actuating pin for the needle would always strip when removing it. Last night, when I needed to shim the needle by another washer, lo and behold, what did I find but that telltale "dot" on that screw that indicates it's a JIS screw. Whip out the Central Hobbies JIS screwdrivers and wow... the difference in holding on that screw is amazing. Never the feeling like it's trying to "crawl" out of the screw head while turning it.

So, I check all the screws on the carb and I'll be damned if they all aren't JIS screws. Makes working on carbs a lot easier and a much less daunting task than without them.

Mahalo, Sam... for pounding in the fact that the JIS screws need the proper tool to remove them. See??? You can teach an old dog new tricks.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thanks Sam. I just ordered a set of the bits. Great find.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM   #5
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
I just replaced the stock philips screws with hex screws. If you don't like hex screws you can always go flat head or something else. Anything is better than a philips-like screw head imo.
There are NO Phillips screws on any Japanese Bikes......ever! Japan has it's own standard screw.....They are called JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard)!!

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM   #6
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
would like to thank Sam for the info on the JIS screwdrivers.

My head is harder than most... well, maybe all, and have been working on my carbs with a #2 Phillips, but being sure to apply plenty of downward pressure (forcing, actually) before applying sidewards motion. It's worked for me and hell... what did I need JIS screwdrivers for??? HA!!!

A few weeks ago, I purchased a set of JIS screwdrivers from Central Hobbies and threw it in my tool kit for the day that I'd need to work on the ninja's carbs again.

Recently, I've been doing a lot of rejetting on the dirt bikes with Keihin carbs. The setup is very different from the CV Keihins on the 250 and one of the screws that they use to secure an actuating pin for the needle would always strip when removing it. Last night, when I needed to shim the needle by another washer, lo and behold, what did I find but that telltale "dot" on that screw that indicates it's a JIS screw. Whip out the Central Hobbies JIS screwdrivers and wow... the difference in holding on that screw is amazing. Never the feeling like it's trying to "crawl" out of the screw head while turning it.

So, I check all the screws on the carb and I'll be damned if they all aren't JIS screws. Makes working on carbs a lot easier and a much less daunting task than without them.

Mahalo, Sam... for pounding in the fact that the JIS screws need the proper tool to remove them. See??? You can teach an old dog new tricks.
He me iki ia

Last futzed with by g21-30; July 23rd, 2010 at 03:38 AM.

Old October 20th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #7
DKB827
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

still managed to strip the screws even with these $9 bits.......

Used a dremel to reslot them and take them out......

replaced them with hex screws
DKB827 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #8
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I had no problems using a regular phillips screw driver.. guess I was lucky. I didn't take the carbs off the bike.. but I did have a screw driver that was long enough to do the job right. I also applied firm pressure down before just twisting it.

Old October 20th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Getting good access goes a LONG LONG way.

I took my carbs out and had zero problems with the screws. It was well worth the effort.

I went straight to rejetting instead of shimming... which can be done with the carbs in place, but it's just SO much easier to work if you've got the thing sitting in your lap.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB827 View Post
still managed to strip the screws even with these $9 bits.......

Used a dremel to reslot them and take them out......

replaced them with hex screws
it isn't impossible to strip them with the JIS screwdriver bit, just not as likely. still, with the JIS and a bit of downward pressure along with an offset ratcheting screwdriver, i had no problem getting the screws off of 4 different bikes.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:15 PM   #11
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE, 2007 Daytona 675

Can someone tell me where they purchased this tool from? I've been looking around and can't find anything resembling the picture, might be because of bad picture angles. Or is the screwdriver even still in production?

gophurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:36 PM   #12
DKB827
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
it isn't impossible to strip them with the JIS screwdriver bit, just not as likely. still, with the JIS and a bit of downward pressure along with an offset ratcheting screwdriver, i had no problem getting the screws off of 4 different bikes.
I put quite a bit of downward pressure used an offset driver, I got 2 of them out....

the screws stripped like they are made of lead.... replacing them with SS hex heads was the best thing to do. use the offset ratchetting attachment with the proper hex bit is beyond simple.
DKB827 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM   #13
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophurr View Post
Can someone tell me where they purchased this tool from? I've been looking around and can't find anything resembling the picture, might be because of bad picture angles. Or is the screwdriver even still in production?

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-3.../dp/B0000224AW

Old October 24th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #14
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

this is the one i got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...M1R14YCEPTVV3Y

i have had it for many years and these offset screwdrivers are great for getting to hard to reach spots. will even go where the stubby screwdrivers can't fit.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #15
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

About replacing the screws with hex head screws, does anyone know what thread diameter and pitch they are? And the approx. length? I'd like to get them (and everything else I need)before starting the project.

Old December 14th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #16
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild-bill View Post
About replacing the screws with hex head screws, does anyone know what thread diameter and pitch they are? And the approx. length? I'd like to get them (and everything else I need)before starting the project.
I was wondering the exact same thing... anyone know what size screws we need.

Old December 14th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #17
EddieNewYork
"Hey, That's My Bike"

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 88 Honda ZB50, 01 Honda Monkey, 07 CRF50, Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattygirl View Post
I was wondering the exact same thing... anyone know what size screws we need.
M4-.7 x 14mm

I bought 16mm because Osh didn't have 14mm, but 16mm works too. I think 12mm were too short though.
EddieNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #18
EddieNewYork
"Hey, That's My Bike"

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 88 Honda ZB50, 01 Honda Monkey, 07 CRF50, Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix Edition

Thanks for posting this g21-30!
EddieNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

The thing that bugs me is that the screwdrivers included in the OEM toolkit can't even seem to grip the screws holding on the side panels covers or the brake fluid reservoir. Did they not include a JIS/Metric toolkit with a JIS/Metric bike?!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #20
kkim

the tool kit included with the bike was never meant to do work on the carbs or brakes, but included as a general tool kit to work on other things that you might need to work on, which the tools do fit. Besides, I've never seen a tool kit come with a bike that had any type of quality tools included. They seem more like a use once, throw away type of quality... from ANY manufacturer, not only Kawasaki.

I'm with you on the side panels though... seems they could have used a #2 Phillips head instead of that #3 that is required. I take it you have some pretty sorry looking Phillips head screws at this point?

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
the tool kit included with the bike was never meant to do work on the carbs or brakes, but included as a general tool kit to work on other things that you might need to work on, which the tools do fit. Besides, I've never seen a tool kit come with a bike that had any type of quality tools included. They seem more like a use once, throw away type of quality... from ANY manufacturer, not only Kawasaki.

I'm with you on the side panels though... seems they could have used a #2 Phillips head instead of that #3 that is required. I take it you have some pretty sorry looking Phillips head screws at this point?
No, I swapped them with the ones under the seat holding the battery. It was a problem though: I was crossing the country (GA to CA; happened in LA) and had my Parrot SK4000 bluetooth module fall into the tail fairing when I was trying to charge it at a gas station. I couldn't just give up on a brand-new $220 kit, so I had to try to get it out with the tool kit. I tried everything... I even made an L-shaped driver by sticking the bits into other toolkit pieces (not the screwdriver handle) and applied far more down + rotational force that would be possible without. Ultimately, I got help from another Ninja rider who was passing through (a few people dropped out of a group ride to refuel at the same station).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #22
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Anyone have any idea where I can still get these as bits? I can find them a lot of places online as full size screwdrivers, but I can't find bits to put in the offset screwdriver head anywhere :/

On a side note, it pleases me to know that the reason I strip so many screws isn't JUST because I suck
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #23
red
ninjette.org member

Name: DJ

Motorcycle(s): TR7, Trident, SuperIII, BMW, HD, Duc, Vespa, MP3

I got a 3 Piece SHORT 1/4" Hex Drive DIN 5260 JIS Phillips Bit Set - #2, #1 & #0) from rjrcooltools, and a 12" #2 JIS screwdriver stanleysupplyservices.com.

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com...=7899&pn=8-212

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/vessel.cfm

I'd contact rjrcooltools and see if the short ones are back in stock for the right angle driver.

They are very handy for not screwing up Mikuni or Keihin carbs, regardless of bike make, and getting to band clamps and such on the ninjette. The really fit well and make a huge difference over sticking a phillips on a JIS screw.

Last futzed with by red; April 17th, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
red is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #24
kkim

links to those parts?

Old April 16th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #25
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Or, make the short trip to Home Depot and pick up a couple of the smaller sized Drywall driver bits. Oddly enough, the bit profile on Drywall bits is almost identical to JIS bits.

They fit so tightly in the JIS screwheads that when you get it unscrewed from the carb you often have to "pop" the screw off the end of the Drywall bit with your fingers. I've never had a JIS screwhead strip or "cam out" while using a Drywall bit on it.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #26
red
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Or, make the short trip to Home Depot and pick up a couple of the smaller sized Drywall driver bits. Oddly enough, the bit profile on Drywall bits is almost identical to JIS bits.

They fit so tightly in the JIS screwheads that when you get it unscrewed from the carb you often have to "pop" the screw off the end of the Drywall bit with your fingers. I've never had a JIS screwhead strip or "cam out" while using a Drywall bit on it.
Here is more info on that in another forum if that's allowed:

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...7b8c7f5#817115

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #27
red
ninjette.org member

I also had an email exchange with Jim Davis, a bike enthusiast and owner of Eastern Beaver (easternbeaver.com) which is based in Japan. For those that may not know, EB is a great source for high quality electrical bits and kits and similar that I can never find in the US. Really good quality stuff and priced right. He's going to start carrying JIS stuff in the next month or so.

Chapman Mfg, a US company that makes trick little screwdriver and hex sets I have had in my box for years, also expressed interest in making a JIS add-on set (www.chapmanmfg.com). The Harley people got 'em to make an add-on for their T27 needs, so ping/email them and maybe JIS is next. They are very responsive and a small US company that makes their own stuff.

Old April 17th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #28
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
I'd contact rjrcooltools and see if the short ones are back in stock for the right angle driver.
Cool thanks! I sent them an email, so hopefully they'll get back to me relatively quickly. Otherwise I'll probably end up trying out those drywall bits. There are few things I hate more than starting to pull my bike apart, only to realize I don't have the proper tools I need for the job >_<

Old April 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #29
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Would it be easier to swap out the screws with allenheads the next time you're in there? I use the Milwaukee offset screwdriver Vex always writes about and it works really well for me when helping others take the screws out their first time.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #30
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Yeah, I'm going to do that this time. I don't want to go through the trouble of removing the entire carburetor again to change out the jets (Largely- or rather entirely- because it is SUCH a bitch to put back in), so I was hoping having the proper tool with the proper heads could make it easier to work on while it's still attached. But yeah, definitely going to match some allen key bolts to replace them after this, regardless of whether this works out or not. That'd just be much easier to work with overall, I'd imagine.

Old April 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #31
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

If you're gonna replace jets without removing the carbs, I definitely recommend getting the offset screwdriver adapter then.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&ddkey=Search

Makes it a lot easier to remove the float bowls from underneath the bike. I'm also able to remove them with a ratchet and bit adapter, but the two screws on the inside are tough because of the angle.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #32
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Yep, I just got one of those since it seems to be a popular tool, and I've been poking around in parts of the bike I probably shouldn't be Slowly but surely my toolbox is getting pretty fleshed out.

Now I just need the bits to actually put in it, and I figured since I'm getting all these specialty tools, I may as well get bits to actually do it right. Unfortunately, however, they're much harder to find than they should be. But I'd do pretty much anything to not have to try to reconnect those goddamn airbox hoses everytime I need to make some changes >_<

Old April 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM   #33
Timon
ninjette.org member

Name: Timon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250R

If you succeed in pulling them out once, either replace them with real #2 phillips screws or allen keys screws. I couldn't find the right size in hex head, so I had to go with phillips, and still an amazing difference in how easy they are to get out with an 8" phillips #2 screw driver.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:20 PM   #34
kkim

metric #2 phillips head screws? where did you find those?

Old April 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #35
Timon
ninjette.org member

Name: Timon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250R

Local hardware store, Lowes to be exact. They were in the metric section by the allen head bolts, which they didn't have the right size of, so I picked phillips up instead.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #36
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

is there anywhere else to buy JIS bits as shown in the picture above. rjrcooltools seems to be out of stock on the short JIS bits. thanks!
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #37
red
ninjette.org member

http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hojisscset4d.html

or

McMaster has JIS screwdrivers

I have no buying experience with either.

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #38
kkim

Quote:

or

thanks

Old June 8th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #39
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

Quote:

or

thanks for the link, however it appears ikaswebshop only sells the screwdrivers. i'm looking for the bits to use with the offset screwdriver as vex and others recommend.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM   #40
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

bump for this.... I'm in the same situation as gt_turbo.

I find it hard to believe that RJR Cool Tools has the monopoly on JIS bits. I got the Offset driver but it's pretty useless w/o the JIS bits. I already attempted to shim the needles once trying to be careful w/a standard Phillips and started chewing up 3 of the 8 screws so I stopped until I can get the JIS bits. Now I can't find the JIS bits anywhere.

Already sent RJR an email but have yet to get a response.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote